What VF-25 would you reccomend?

VenomMacbeth

I really, really want to get a VF-25, preferably an Alto or Michel custom. I've considered the following options, with pros and cons for each:

Bandai 1/60 : nice, but too friggin expensive. There's no way I can drop $100-$200 on a toy, especially when it's not perfect (I've read reviews for these.)

VF-100s : They look good, but I already have nightmares about the parts-forming and I don't even own the thing.

Robot-Damashii (sp?) : Not transformable, blech, but they make a Queadluun-Rea that's to scale with it, so I dunno.

Model Kits : They look pretty good, but they seem pretty expensive & I don't know how skilled I am with model kits (I mean, I put together zoids and a few gundam kits.)

Ideally, I would like a transforming VF-25 that looks relatively decent, for a good price. (say, $60-$70 shipped?)

What do you guys think I should do?

I have the same concern about price, and keep in mind, I like the models more than the toys. So the choice between a 1/60 and a 1/72 was simple.

Bandai's model, though intricate is still pretty straight forward if you take your time. And like Gundam, there is the option of leaving them unpainted with

sticker decals, as they are molded in color. I would prefer to paint mine all over, but I have seen others left as is, and they do look pretty good.

Transforming the models can take about 8 minutes and look very good in all respects. I haven't seen much of the others noted, but I hope this little nbit has helped.

Thom.

Get the model kit or the Robot-Damashii.

The former is beautiful in all modes and ready for plain assembly; the latter is fun to pose and the best looking one among the toys (still lose to the model kits).

But if you want to transform a VF like there is no tomorrow and don't care much about aesthetic... Get the 1/60 DX. That's the only transformable toy out there.

Edited by ff95gj

I think I'm going for a 1/60 toy. They look pretty sweet. Why are they so much more than yamato 1/60? Anyone?

Don't do it! They're lousy pieces of floppy trash with easily scratched tampo and no removal pilot or detailed cockpit and no wing stores. Probably because Bandai has such a presence in the toy/game business is why they cost what they cost. Yamato stuff is relatively small in hobby shops in Japan whereas you drown in Bandai merchandise.

I'm very fond of the VF-25F, my only one from the series to date but I intend on getting the other 3 in due course. I'm particularly partial to the heaviness and the weapons. Love the dagger of the Alto and the elegance of its robot mode. Very modern and lots of flair. The Super armour is the best imo the white is actual white unlike the fading whites on Yamato's VF-1Ss. The only thing I don't like about them as others have mentioned is the easiness w/ which you might scratch them and the stands aren't very elegant.

Also, check out the reviews in Peaugh's threads. He's a great reviewer and watching his reviews will probably help you decide

Don't buy any of the DX toys, they suck. I left my VF-25F and S in fighter mode and put them on display, they're not good for anything else. :rolleyes:

I very much agree. The fighter mode is nice, but the other 2 modes... *sigh*

I wished I'd never picked up the DX VF-25's.

Quite on the contrary, the Macross Quarter is great and the VF-27 looks very promising.

If you wait, I have a feeling Bandai will retool the 1/60 VF-25s utilizing the same improvements of the VF-27. It may be a while though... <_<

I am not sure about the retooling... It may be the design of VF-27 (bigger head, broader shoulders, longer legs) that makes the overall impression better.

Don't do it! They're lousy pieces of floppy trash with easily scratched tampo and no removal pilot or detailed cockpit and no wing stores. Probably because Bandai has such a presence in the toy/game business is why they cost what they cost. Yamato stuff is relatively small in hobby shops in Japan whereas you drown in Bandai merchandise.

Really? That' too bad. The review that was posted the other day made them see pretty sweet. The gerwalk didn't seem so hot, but I've never really thought of that as a great form anyway. The fighter looked awesome.

Wing stores? I believe that from originally VF-25s aren't designed to have underwing ordnance. And how important removable pilot and detailed cockpit would be, considering that this is a toy, with seam lines and screw holes all over? The detail is fine as it is, and if you really want detailed pilot figure, go for Bandai's Alto Ex-Gear ^_^

My DX VF-25F movie version (that bluish one) is fine. Really. There's some scratch but that's due to my rough handling, and it's not bothering me at all. Think of it as 'battle damage', heh. Also, I wonder why no one mentioned about this, but the DX contains a lot of die-cast. Ankles, upper-thighs, waist joint, shoulder joints, and the whole biceps. It feels that good to touch those parts and feel the cold, heavy metal sensation B)) . I guess that's what made them cost more than Yamato. I won't call a toy piece of trash if I happen to be unlucky to get the bad one. Just take it as bad luck...that costs more than $100.

Wing stores? I believe that from originally VF-25s aren't designed to have underwing ordnance. And how important removable pilot and detailed cockpit would be, considering that this is a toy, with seam lines and screw holes all over? The detail is fine as it is, and if you really want detailed pilot figure, go for Bandai's Alto Ex-Gear ^_^

My DX VF-25F movie version (that bluish one) is fine. Really. There's some scratch but that's due to my rough handling, and it's not bothering me at all. Think of it as 'battle damage', heh. Also, I wonder why no one mentioned about this, but the DX contains a lot of die-cast. Ankles, upper-thighs, waist joint, shoulder joints, and the whole biceps. It feels that good to touch those parts and feel the cold, heavy metal sensation B)) . I guess that's what made them cost more than Yamato. I won't call a toy piece of trash if I happen to be unlucky to get the bad one. Just take it as bad luck...that costs more than $100.

Well if I recall, Michel had them in the form of speakers, what else, oh yeah, in that first ep, Gilliam or whatever launched missiles at the Vaj inside the colony from somewhere because it sure doesn't seem like they have internal stores. You can't even attach the gun without attaching extra stuff or having the head stick out properly with said extra stuff. That's lousy design not to mention floppy headlasers that can come off easily. And if you look under the wings of the toy you will see what appears to be positions for pylons on it. The toy may have a lot of die-cast but you can tell the paint's a little off in fighter mode compared to the plastic parts. And the fact that it doesn't come equipped with removable pilot or detailed cockpit kinda is off considering how the 25 can convert to a two seater in a flash. Ranka has flown in GIB position before and lack of detail in the stuck on figure is kinda lame. At least Yamato added a two seater option to the YF-19 for the Yang figure. Scratched paint on aircraft does not merit battle damage, it's called corrosion, trust me, I work Super Hornets. I actually prefer low die-cast content, it turned up the excellent VF-11, lightweight and will not lose balance easily. That's what I found was wrong with the 25s, especially the Armored Ozma since it wouldn't keep up right unless you propped it up with the stand or against something. The Gerwalk mode was jacked up looking in that it couldn't stand up right in the way the Yamatoes do. Bottom line, DX sucks and Yamato is the unrivaled Valk maker, and I never got knurled pins either. :p

Well if I recall, Michel had them in the form of speakers, what else, oh yeah, in that first ep, Gilliam or whatever launched missiles at the Vaj inside the colony from somewhere because it sure doesn't seem like they have internal stores. You can't even attach the gun without attaching extra stuff or having the head stick out properly with said extra stuff. That's lousy design not to mention floppy headlasers that can come off easily. And if you look under the wings of the toy you will see what appears to be positions for pylons on it. The toy may have a lot of die-cast but you can tell the paint's a little off in fighter mode compared to the plastic parts. And the fact that it doesn't come equipped with removable pilot or detailed cockpit kinda is off considering how the 25 can convert to a two seater in a flash. Ranka has flown in GIB position before and lack of detail in the stuck on figure is kinda lame. At least Yamato added a two seater option to the YF-19 for the Yang figure. Scratched paint on aircraft does not merit battle damage, it's called corrosion, trust me, I work Super Hornets. I actually prefer low die-cast content, it turned up the excellent VF-11, lightweight and will not lose balance easily. That's what I found was wrong with the 25s, especially the Armored Ozma since it wouldn't keep up right unless you propped it up with the stand or against something. The Gerwalk mode was jacked up looking in that it couldn't stand up right in the way the Yamatoes do. Bottom line, DX sucks and Yamato is the unrivaled Valk maker, and I never got knurled pins either. :p

well, consider yourself lucky. Your heart drops when you open up a box and see the shoulders about to fall off. It knocks yamato down several rating points for sure.

I do not own any Yamato, so your opinion maybe correct about Yamato being superior to Bandai in terms of details and posability. However, we're trying to help someone decided what's the best VF-25 toy for him. Considering that there's only Bandai DX for VF-25, and no Yamato, I recommended it for him. Yes, DX maybe sucks, but it's the biggest & most durable VF-25 out there (mine is durable, if you're isn't, you're just unlucky). I believe that both Yamato 1/60 and Bandai DX are different beasts altogether, and both have their own flaws. As for Gilliam's missile, I need to rewatch that episode but clearly we never see any of 'em under the wings (animation error?), maybe it can, but we never saw one. Michel's special case, though :)

I do not own any Yamato, so your opinion maybe correct about Yamato being superior to Bandai in terms of details and posability. However, we're trying to help someone decided what's the best VF-25 toy for him. Considering that there's only Bandai DX for VF-25, and no Yamato, I recommended it for him. Yes, DX maybe sucks, but it's the biggest & most durable VF-25 out there (mine is durable, if you're isn't, you're just unlucky). I believe that both Yamato 1/60 and Bandai DX are different beasts altogether, and both have their own flaws. As for Gilliam's missile, I need to rewatch that episode but clearly we never see any of 'em under the wings (animation error?), maybe it can, but we never saw one. Michel's special case, though :)

That's why I'm saying not to get it, better off getting a Yamato. And I'm not the only one on these boards who reported floppiness and bad tampo printing. In a few years I'm sure Yamato will wrangle the rights to 1/60 Macross Frontier Valks and make them work.

That's why I'm saying not to get it, better off getting a Yamato. And I'm not the only one on these boards who reported floppiness and bad tampo printing. In a few years I'm sure Yamato will wrangle the rights to 1/60 Macross Frontier Valks and make them work.

I doubt that will ever happen. Wasn't frontier co-produced by Bandai?

The most you could hope for is that bandai takes a page from the model created by yamato. The more line-art accurate and sturdy, the better.

I doubt that will ever happen. Wasn't frontier co-produced by Bandai?

The most you could hope for is that bandai takes a page from the model created by yamato. The more line-art accurate and sturdy, the better.

well, you could hope they would compare the DX 25 w/ the upcoming 27 and say "hey, the 25 seems like crap compared to what we've done w/ the 27... time to make a 'Revised' version..."

well, you could hope they would compare the DX 25 w/ the upcoming 27 and say "hey, the 25 seems like crap compared to what we've done w/ the 27... time to make a 'Revised' version..."

that's what I'm thinking. Have you ever actually tried to transform a yamato 1/60 V1? sheesh.

I PRAY they follow yamatos lead and continually strive to make a better valk

I doubt it will just 'only few years'. Yamato just only starting to release mac7 toys after, like, 15 years. It's even possible for Bandai to hold the franchise forever, just like Gundam. Me too, hoping for better-looking Yamato-made -25 since I love it so much, but I won't wait that long. And even if I told to wait just 2-3 years, it's the same. Y'see, that's the whole point of this thread : to decide what VF-25 to get from what options available NOW.

I doubt it will just 'only few years'. Yamato just only starting to release mac7 toys after, like, 15 years. It's even possible for Bandai to hold the franchise forever, just like Gundam. Me too, hoping for better-looking Yamato-made -25 since I love it so much, but I won't wait that long. And even if I told to wait just 2-3 years, it's the same. Y'see, that's the whole point of this thread : to decide what VF-25 to get from what options available NOW.

Sunrise Animation put out Gundam and it's a subsidiary of Namco Bandai. So it isn't fair to compare that to Bandai holding the Macross Frontier license. But, as most ppl say, it's probably going to take a while before Yamato gets to it. But probably sooner than 15 years since Yamato is a relatively newcomer and Macross is a hot product right now.

I think yamato should do this:

while they are waiting to do MacF valks, see what they can do about mospeada. Come on people. Admit it, you all know toynami and CMS were not able to please the fan with their legios and tread combo.

I want to see how yamato could have done this so I can throw those other overpriced things in the bin and not have to wait 50 years again until another company will touch it.

Beagle's Ride Armour toy was the last and best mospeada toy we got. What they achieved with that toy I want to see yamato do the same for the legioss and tread.