HG and Robotech Debates

azrael

Jerks, pedophiles, Robotech killers, and haters. That's why I hate you all. I drink my daily Hater-aide, Hahaha (j/k for those that have no sense of humor)

Okay, so how about Francis Ford Coppola getting the riegns of the Robotech movie. At least during the production of "Bram Stoker's Dracula" the cast and crew actually had sessions where they actually read the book at his urging.

Me, I hope the film crew shows as much reverence for Robotech as Robotech showed for Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada. ;)

I'd honestly settle for being a jerk than a tool at this point. Don't have to force myself to be in denial and picking trivial fights all the time for something that hasn't shown life for three years.

Forget about the reprints of Tommy Yune's Robotech comics that are... oh, never mind. New filler in old comics IS progress.

And it will happen again.....

Why am I suddenly tempted to break out into a chorus of "Circle" by Harry Chapin?

Me, I hope the film crew shows as much reverence for Robotech as Robotech showed for Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada. ;)

Really, you don't have to hope for that... it's pretty much a foregone conclusion at this point. If they ever manage to get the lurching atrocity that is the Robotech live-action movie into production, the legal ramifications of adapting those sagas and the pruning necessary to get it down to two hours or thereabouts virtually guarantees that the end result will bear practically no resemblance to what the fans are familiar with regardless of how much reverence the film crew has for the "original" Robotech.

I'd honestly settle for being a jerk than a tool at this point. Don't have to force myself to be in denial and picking trivial fights all the time for something that hasn't shown life for three years.

Forget about the reprints of Tommy Yune's Robotech comics that are... oh, never mind. New filler in old comics IS progress.

By Robotech's standards, ANY new product coming out... even if it's just a blatant repackage of an old product... is still progress.

Anybody wanna buy my PTTSC comics, with first issue signed by Tommy Yune? $300 OBO

Am I reading this right? They're reprinting ALL the Yunetech comics?? :huh: Yikes... But the memory of their suck is still too fresh!!

Also included is ROBOTECH ZERO, a prelude to the miniseries that contains a 12-page story illustrated in "jam" style by Jim Lee, Lee Bermejo, Alé Garza, and Carlos D'Anda! Plus, this volume includes the hard-to-find ROBOTECH SOURCEBOOK, written by Yune with art by Jason Pearson, Garza, D'Anda, Damion Scott, Rob Haynes, Tommy Lee Edwards, and more, featuring background info on every Robotech character and vehicle! ROBOTECH FROM THE STARS is a must-have for fans of all ages!

Robotech Zero? HG sure has a weird sense of humor...

- the complete Prelude to the Shadow Chronicles series #1-5 with previously unpublished new material

- illustrated Robotech timeline and planetary guide

- data files of mecha and vessels from the comic series

- behind the scenes of the making of the animated film and comic book prequel.

Waitaminute. I recognize these features... They're from the TSC DVD, the supplemental material from the original run of the Prelude, and the Artbook!!! Fans must be really starving for 'new' content.

MEMO: I WAS IMPRESSED WITH THE CHANGE FROM LAST SET OF PRELUDE COMICS. AND THERE WAS A HINT TO SHADOW RISING. NOT ONLY THAT BUT THERE IS EXTRA CONTENT IN THE COMICS AND FEW EXTRA PANELS ADDED.

WILL HOPE TO GET A PREVIEW OF THE COMIC SOON SO WE CAN DO AN INTERVIEW ON ROBOTECH ESPANOL PODCAST ABOUT IT.

Extra panels in the Prelude comics that hint of Shadow Rising? Oh. Let me guess. Tommy is going to reuse the "it was all a flashback" story device he uses in all his trashy comics.

Am I reading this right? They're reprinting ALL the Yunetech comics?? :huh: Yikes... But the memory of their suck is still too fresh!!

Unfortunately, you are... it's just another one of Harmony Gold's shameless attempts to milk the more gullible members of the Robotech fanbase for a few more dollars without doing any actual work... made all the more amusing by the fact that they're trotting this out as "new" material to celebrate the 25th Anniversary.

So to sum it all up, the shadow chronicles love fest continues?

860601.jpg

also right now I am feeling like complete crap after finding out that Carl Macek actually approves of the shadows continuity, saying its closer to his vision he had for RT

yeah.... no thanks :angry:

The man isn't a god or a genius but I have respect for him, but right now some of that respect has been flushed down the crapper. I know sentinels wasn't gold either, but damn...

Edited by HappyPenguins

People are forgetting to ask the most important question related to any material regarding Robotech these days:

Are these Wildstorm comic collections canon to the Robotech story?

Prelude to the Shadow Chronicles, unfortunately, counts by the Creative Director, but if the rest have no weight whatsoever, where is the incentive to buy them unless people REALLY love Tommy Yune's work? It's something to consider when continunity has become a very sensitive issue for people.

Oh, and there's Macross the First if you can find it.

860601.jpg

also right now I am feeling like complete crap after finding out that Carl Macek actually approves of the shadows continuity, saying its closer to his vision he had for RT

yeah.... no thanks :angry:

The man isn't a god or a genius but I have respect for him, but right now some of that respect has been flushed down the crapper. I know sentinels wasn't gold either, but damn...

There was always this strife that was noticed when Carl left the first time. In past interviews and comments, it always seemed that he wanted to get back into HG, and back onto Robotech. Being that he's back in HG to one extent or another, perhaps he's saying that simply due to the fact that he'd rather be a part of that, then a part of nothing. It's just an opinion, but I don't think he'd be around if he was going to criticize the direction they're taking Robotech in.

There was always this strife that was noticed when Carl left the first time. In past interviews and comments, it always seemed that he wanted to get back into HG, and back onto Robotech. Being that he's back in HG to one extent or another, perhaps he's saying that simply due to the fact that he'd rather be a part of that, then a part of nothing. It's just an opinion, but I don't think he'd be around if he was going to criticize the direction they're taking Robotech in.

You mean staying on translating Bleach and the like is not glamorous? It's the industry he helped start, or at least molded in a different direction as a response to his work methods. He should be thankful he still works since the glory days here may not come back.

Seems that way...

Really, I can't imagine how that could possibly come as a surprise to anyone.

On paper, the so-called "Shadow Saga" is supposed to be a stand-alone fourth saga in the Robotech universe, but in practice the Shadow Chronicles story (and Prelude in particular) are nothing more than a poorly camouflaged continuation of the Robotech II: the Sentinels "movie" and comics.

People are forgetting to ask the most important question related to any material regarding Robotech these days:

Are these Wildstorm comic collections canon to the Robotech story?

Unfortunately, since the Wildstorm comics formed the basis of Tommy's continuity reboot... they are, for all practical purposes, canon.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Why does he even want to be a part of that? It's not like he's going to have ANY creative control

since it's a given that tommy doesn't like sharing the spotlight, so really what is he going to do with Robotech now?

Seems that way...

Really, I can't imagine how that could possibly come as a surprise to anyone.

On paper, the so-called "Shadow Saga" is supposed to be a stand-alone fourth saga in the Robotech universe, but in practice the Shadow Chronicles story (and Prelude in particular) are nothing more than a poorly camouflaged continuation of the Robotech II: the Sentinels "movie" and comics.

It does to me because I believed Carl never liked the idea that someone took over Robotech in the first place.

Edited by HappyPenguins

Why does he even want to be a part of that? It's not like he's going to have ANY creative control

since it's a given that tommy doesn't like sharing the spotlight, so really what is he going to do with Robotech now?

It does to me because I believed Carl never liked the idea that someone took over Robotech in the first place.

This wouldn't be the first time he was put in this situation. Remember what Canon Films did to Robotech Untold Story? More boobs! Bigger explosions! If he shows up at Comic Con '10 and I get to, I'll ask him how he feels about no creative control and see if he gives me an answer.

This wouldn't be the first time he was put in this situation. Remember what Canon Films did to Robotech Untold Story? More boobs! Bigger explosions! If he shows up at Comic Con '10 and I get to, I'll ask him how he feels about no creative control and see if he gives me an answer.

Most likely won't get an answer to that, though I would be surprised if you do

anyway back to the subject of HG

and no I did not make this, I found it lol

post-12399-1271216488_thumb.jpg

Actually, for Untold Story, Canon wanted less pretty girls and more explosions. They took out the sex scene from Megazone 23 and added more carnage from Southern Cross.

It's when Tommy Yune came along that boobs took priority.

Why does he (Carl Macek) even want to be a part of that? It's not like he's going to have ANY creative control

To answer all of Robotech's mysteries like the where in the world was the SDF-2, how long the SDF-1 is...

Actually, for Untold Story, Canon wanted less pretty girls and more explosions. They took out the sex scene from Megazone 23 and added more carnage from Southern Cross.

Slightly off-topic, but I finally saw the first two parts of Megazone 23 and it was awesome to a certain extent. I haven't seen The Carl Macek Cut, but I know it sucks hard. I guess that makes me a... Megazone Purist? Yaaaaaaah

P.S.

Props to HappyPenguin for the Breetai facepalm :lol:

Anybody wanna buy my PTTSC comics, with first issue signed by Tommy Yune? $300 OBO
I wouldn't wipe my ass with that issue.

I have the following copies in mint to near mint condition.

• Wildsrorm ROBOTECH

• Sourcebook #1
    • Love & War #1
    • Love & War #2

Needless to say, I bailed after Love and War #2, because the storyline was going in directions I wasn't liking.

I wouldn't wipe my ass with that issue.

I have the following copies in mint to near mint condition.

And they're still ABSOLUTELY WORTHLESS. ^_^

Needless to say, I bailed after Love and War #2, because the storyline was going in directions I wasn't liking.

Seeing as you suffered through all the horrendous Robotech comics of the '90s and liked them, I'm scared to ask what the breaking point for you was in Love and War...

Seeing as you suffered through all the horrendous Robotech comics of the '90s and liked them, I'm scared to ask what the breaking point for you was in Love and War...

Yeah, I'm kinda curious, too. The old comics of the 90s were decent to all the way craptastic. Some were so abstract that they were an abstract adaptation of an abstract storyline. But, in all fairness, at least they were more independent and kept the franchise on life support during the time. What's strange is that even with all the hype that has come and gone in 5 years, it's still in that same position as back then. Go figure.

Lemme guess... "ninja Miriya" killed it for you?

Less than worthless, in practical terms, since the reissues continue to deplete their resale value and there really isn't any actual merit to the story. It's just another attempt to shake the Macross Saga down for a few more bucks.

lol why do I have the feeling 4chan was behind that? After all there was a post on /m about him, er someone posing as him advertising his podcast haha <shakes head>

Almost certainly... whatever anon did that definitely has way too much time on his (or her) hands.

Lemme guess... "ninja Miriya" killed it for you?

Less than worthless, in practical terms, since the reissues continue to deplete their resale value and there really isn't any actual merit to the story. It's just another attempt to shake the Macross Saga down for a few more bucks.

Almost certainly... whatever anon did that definitely has way too much time on his (or her) hands.

Was probably the same person that started that thread too lol man I'm glad I don't have that kind of free time anymore, too busy with work and my crap

Not true, a semi complete set of Robotech: From the Stars comics including the variant covers from Wildstorm by Tommy Yune I sold last year on ebay was worth $5 plus shipping. I'm not pissed that I lost some money on it; it fulfilled the original plan I had for it when it was bought cheaply from a comic book convention in the first place. I was never going to keep or cherish it for anything except making money.

Not true, a semi complete set of Robotech: From the Stars comics including the variant covers from Wildstorm by Tommy Yune I sold last year on ebay was worth $5 plus shipping. I'm not pissed that I lost some money on it; it fulfilled the original plan I had for it when it was bought cheaply from a comic book convention in the first place. I was never going to keep or cherish it for anything except making money.

Hahaha, I heard that!!! My old Sentinels comics are worth more than those, although, the very first comic that came out I have signed by Tony Oliver, Dan Warren. It's the only one of all those comics I really kept and appreciate. Speaking of comics, I have an issue of the promo comic that was the prelude to the Nintendo game that never made it, Crystal Dreams I think it is. Is that worth anything? I know it's rare, just have no clue about the worth of it. I also have the very first issue of Protoculture Addicts, which is all black and white. Is that worth anything? I need to make more space, so I maybe looking to part with this stuff very soon.

Was probably the same person that started that thread too lol man I'm glad I don't have that kind of free time anymore, too busy with work and my crap

I would love to see a similar effort targetting Carl Macek...

Taksraven

Not true, a semi complete set of Robotech: From the Stars comics including the variant covers from Wildstorm by Tommy Yune I sold last year on ebay was worth $5 plus shipping. [...] I was never going to keep or cherish it for anything except making money.

Hey, let's not forget the book's potential as toilet paper or kindling for a campfire. It's got to have some value there too... though for some reason that leaves me remembering the baseball episode of Excel Saga and the part about the color inserts from weekly magazines...

Is that worth anything? I need to make more space, so I maybe looking to part with this stuff very soon.

Oh, most anything Robotech has some marketable value so long as you can locate a fanboy dim-witted or curious enough to buy it. Of course, since those people are rare and getting rarer, I don't think they really have much value even to Robotech fans, and no value at all to anyone who isn't a Robotech fan. The smart Robotech fan (if such a creature could be said to exist) would simply look around on the net for one of those RAR files containing CBRs of all of the pre-Wildstorm Robotech comics, artbooks, and RPG books, and get the lot for free.

Well, the term "Macekre" is named for him...does that count?

I'm sure Carl must've loved his nickname. I have to ask, but does Tommy have one?

Speaking of comics, I have an issue of the promo comic that was the prelude to the Nintendo game that never made it, Crystal Dreams I think it is. Is that worth anything?

I remember that... Is that one of the few comics where the characters were in DYRL uniforms?

Oh, most anything Robotech has some marketable value so long as you can locate a fanboy dim-witted or curious enough to buy it. Of course, since those people are rare and getting rarer, I don't think they really have much value even to Robotech fans, and no value at all to anyone who isn't a Robotech fan.

I'm actually very curious how these reissues will perform. Not to get too off-topic, but the comic market isn't exactly the same 10 years ago with competition from other mediums and formats. And like I said before, the suck is still too fresh in people's minds, unless Robotech somehow magically grew in the last ten years.

Anyone wanna place bets on the numbers of Prelude when it hits the market?