HG and Robotech Debates

azrael

They had a long time to bring DYRL? over here before HG even trademarked the name Macross (which happened about 10 years ago). So I'd like to know is why did Bandai wait?

Bandai isn't waiting. They're just not pursuing it. Bandai Visual USA doesn't exist as a separate entity from Bandai Entertainment (Bandai Visual USA was absorbed into Bandai Entertainment a while back). Bandai Visual Japan (who is working with Shogakukan) is only concerned with the Japanese market.

When will BV Japan bring it to Blu-Ray? Dunno. Like many companies, the back catalog isn't a real priority.

came in here to post this. Don't care what any of you say, CM was responsible for introducing me to anime and more specifically, RT and hence, Macross. If it wasn't for him and his crew bringing RT to the US, I wouldn't be posting this right now. R.I.P.

Regardless, I don't see why Macross, a legitimate successful franchise of its own, continues to get screwed for the sake of progress. By comparison, the Star Blazers/Yamato strategy worked out better.

Edited by Einherjar

Regardless, I don't see why Macross, a legitimate successful franchise of its own, continues to get screwed for the sake of progress. Was it really that hard to follow the Star Blazers/Yamato model?

To be fair...there are STILL no DVDs of any of the three Yamato TV series, uncut and with subs. At least we have Macross (and Southern Cross and Mospeada) in their original form.

If you think having Bandai add english subs to their Japanese BR and DVDs, write them a letter. I'm sure if enough people write a letter to them, it'd be considered. I'm sure they're somewhat aware of the fan sub market out there, and I have suggested a group letter for this workaround, kinda like a petition. Someone start it up, and I'll definitely sign it. And, just for the record, I like Macross where it is. If it never came over here, I'd be just fine with that. The "keeping Macross pure tax" is OK by me.

To be fair...there are STILL no DVDs of any of the three Yamato TV series, uncut and with subs. At least we have Macross (and Southern Cross and Mospeada) in their original form.

But isn't that more because of Animeigo's influence than HG's? They insisted on and took most of the risk for releasing the original, and HG only followed through because they realized there was enough interest to make money out of it. Without Animeigo, I don't think it would have happened at all.

For Yamato, maybe it just needs a third party willing to invest in it.

Yes, by all means...celebrate Carl Macek by plugging your movie... :mellow:

Well... that was faster than I anticipated. I know I wasn't the only one who figured it was only a matter of time before HG tried to exploit Macek's death to cover their ineptitude or promote the brand, but I didn't think that even they would stoop that low that quickly. For pity's sake, the man wasn't even dead a week before Harmony Gold started exploiting his death to promote their crappy movie. That whole "memorial" is just in appallingly bad taste... the plug for the movie is more than twice the length of Carl's "accomplishments".

Yeah, and the version of Star Blazers Season Two that got released here in Australia generally had a picture that was WAY below broadcast quality. I assume that was the same in the USA.

Taksraven

Does anyone else think HG's Macek tribute in Variety is...um...kind of questionable?

post-939-1272095611_thumb.jpg

Poor grammar, they meant to put a question mark at the end of the second sentence.

Taksraven

Yeah, and the version of Star Blazers Season Two that got released here in Australia generally had a picture that was WAY below broadcast quality. I assume that was the same in the USA.

Taksraven

Yes, it's true here as well. The Yamato movies also didn't look all that hot.

Does anyone else think HG's Macek tribute in Variety is...um...kind of questionable?

Um, wow. Just wow. Talk about tasteless.

Like I said, ironic.

EDIT: Wait, is he even relevant to whoever reads Variety if they didn't mention the LAM?

Edited by Einherjar

Well, Tommy had to come up with a picture of Rick and Lisa fast and you know it takes him a year to draw a uniform with a head on it. Those arms might be a problem without a knowledge of anatomy. It costs a lot too. They have to pay Tommy for each pencil stroke. It would be asking too much to have a monthly updated webcomic for members to read and enjoy Robotech while waiting for the next movie. Again though that requires artists and only Macross has that.

And in this, lies one of the biggest problems. Yes, it's great that Carl Macek is remembered and all that. It's great that fans can come together and whatnot. However, why does it have to turn into a Robotech LAM promotion, and have all the Tommy Yune characters around his head. Tasteless is exactly what I'd call that. It's like all the Robotech crap is in the front, and CM is simply the means to promote all that. Forget that Carl worked on bigger things than Robotech, like Bleach, and other anime titles. Forget that he had his own books out. Let's make it all about Robotech, not Carl Macek.

And in this, lies one of the biggest problems. Yes, it's great that Carl Macek is remembered and all that. It's great that fans can come together and whatnot. However, why does it have to turn into a Robotech LAM promotion, and have all the Tommy Yune characters around his head. Tasteless is exactly what I'd call that. It's like all the Robotech crap is in the front, and CM is simply the means to promote all that. Forget that Carl worked on bigger things than Robotech, like Bleach, and other anime titles. Forget that he had his own books out. Let's make it all about Robotech, not Carl Macek.

I guess this opens up other depressing possibilities; those who did work on the original shows that made Robotech may finally get respected... when they die. God forbid people like Shoji Kawamori, Haruhiko Mikimoto, and Yoshitaka Amano (Mospeada & Final Fantasy) get treated like that for the sake of the franchise.

I guess for HG, an employee's death is just an opportunity to shamelessly plug Robotech/RTLAM. I wouldn't be surprised if they'll do the same thing if say Frank Agrama suddenly croaked tomorrow. *knocks on wood* :angry:

Edited by Moly_Sigang

On a change of note...

Saw Losers yesterday. Seriously, this is not the guy you want to handle valkyrie action. That crank up/slow down action is sooo dated! And the posey slo-mo walking hero shot is even worse.

If it gets done this way I can only hope that someone takes RTLAM and find 2 other movies to splice it with.

You think Carl Macek would roll over in his grave? Don't think so...

Too soon? :unsure:

On a change of note...

Saw Losers yesterday. Seriously, this is not the guy you want to handle valkyrie action. That crank up/slow down action is sooo dated! And the posey slo-mo walking hero shot is even worse.

If it gets done this way I can only hope that someone takes RTLAM and find 2 other movies to splice it with.

LA Times review HERE.

Notable quotations:

"There's a full metal jacket of pounding sound, blood, fireballs, mayhem, double-crosses and the entire future of the U.S. of A. on the line. But the plot? Who decided to kill the plot?

Screenwriters Peter Berg, of the excellent "Friday Night Lights," and James Vanderbilt, of the tightwire thriller "Zodiac," seem to have lost their moorings here, along with director Sylvain White."

And:

"The opening violent coupling between Aisha and Clay (Morgan) involves a brutal Tarantino-esque ballet of whirling kicks and bruising chops, all delivered with camera moves that would make Linda Blair's head spin faster than the devil. It also brings "The Losers" some measure of redemption.

From this point on, there are enough clever bits, in that exploding-bodies kind of way, to inject some fun into the party. White and director of photography Scott Kevan, who collaborated on "Stomp the Yard," have some seriously inventive visuals, which at times are smash-cut fabulous."

So...bad news and good news.

I'm not saying it's a painful watch. It's a mediocre fun action movie. I just don't want to see valks (or veritechs) moving like they came out of a 300 side scroller movie. Especially after we've seen Kawamori's direction of dogfight action sequences improve everytime we see a new Macross animation.

I read somewhere... maybe here or somewhere else... that picking this director shows how serious they are about a good Robotech movie. And I agree, for them to choose a mediocre director already doesn't bode well for the LAM franchise. You're always hoping that this license would somehow get treated better and surprise us all. I mean... I'm just throwing this name out because I liked the mech action in District 9, but RT fans never get that type of elating news like picking Blomkamp to helm this movie. You never get the "Oh hey! That make sense..." reaction for any RT news.

You never get the "Oh hey! That make sense..." reaction for any RT news.

ARE YOU KIDDING? Stomp the Yard had a love triangle AND music. I'll Always Know What You Did Last Summer has mecha*. Who could be MORE perfect? :p

(Um...a guy with a hook for a hand counts as mecha, right?)

Anyway, he's just the one guy who talked about the project...they might be approaching other people as well...but yeah: if this is the LEVEL of director they're going for, they're not aiming too high.

But EXO, didn't you tell me "Won't it be great to have the camera do a speed-up/normal-speed 360-spin around the entire body. Then pan out to Rick, Roy, Max, and Ben doing the slow walk-of-cool as they walk away from their mechs. And won't it be great if Lisa was the one with the rocket launcher with the don't-f*ck-with-me-badass-b*tch attitude? And then Minmay with her bring-down-the-house dance moves? That alone would make the movie!" :lol:

But EXO, didn't you tell me "Won't it be great to have the camera do a speed-up/normal-speed 360-spin around the entire body. Then pan out to Rick, Roy, Max, and Ben doing the slow walk-of-cool as they walk away from their mechs. And won't it be great if Lisa was the one with the rocket launcher with the don't-f*ck-with-me-badass-b*tch attitude? And then Minmay with her bring-down-the-house dance moves? That alone would make the movie!" :lol:

i posted that back on MW in 1989... I was way ahead of my time... :p

I'm really too shocked for words. It follows I suppose... Death of Carl Macek = fastrack your tacky movie project?

Has Mav or MEMO weighed in on this? They're probably crapping their pants in excitement... :unsure:

Combining Macek with Tommy's pictures makes one man with all their experiences. That's epic. 20 years later they'll still be talking about it and how he ingeniously thought up this idea to improve the original guy, the raw material, by sweetening and adapting him to make him more suitable to a wider audience.

I'm really too shocked for words. It follows I suppose... Death of Carl Macek = fastrack your tacky movie project?

Hold your horses there, we don't know if the LAM is going to be tacky. What is known is that it's ambiguous and under severe legal and artistic restrictions from the nature of the show.

Hold your horses there, we don't know if the LAM is going to be tacky. What is known is that it's ambiguous and under severe legal and artistic restrictions from the nature of the show.

Allow me to respond...

RT2S + RT-TSC + HGMP/Mods = RA

To expand...

Robotech 2: The Sentinels + Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles + Harmony Gold's Marketing Practices (And, alternately, the behavior of thier mods) = The Reasonable Assumption of 'Tacky'.

Class Dismissed. :lol:

Allow me to respond...

RT2S + RT-TSC + HGMP/Mods = RA

To expand...

Robotech 2: The Sentinels + Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles + Harmony Gold's Marketing Practices (And, alternately, the behavior of thier mods) = The Reasonable Assumption of 'Tacky'.

Class Dismissed. :lol:

Except of course, that HG isn't doing the movie...WB is. That could up the ante quite a bit. However, the fact that a fifth- or sixth-tier director is the guy who says, "Yeah, they appraoched me about it," that doesn't look too good.

Again, maybe The Losers will up his cache...but I kinda doubt it.

Hey, that's a touching heartfelt tribute, and nothing else! :)

48.gif

really... I mean... wow. no words for that one

Edited by anime52k8