Transformers Super Thread 9

eriku

Sunstorm so doesn't count. There are 6 main seekers. SS, SW, TC, Dirge, Thrust, and Ramjet. Everything else is a recently-invented mold-milking opportunity. Plus Sunstorm, who actually got a comic first, THEN toy repaints. (actually, Sunstorm wasn't bad as a character---just his scheme sucked, and it translated even worse to toys)

PS---color errors in the cartoon don't count either. :p

actually you're wrong. Sunstorm was a Japanese EHobby g1 reissue repaint first

Well then that's worse. He is merely a very late re-re-re-repaint/animation error like all the others. (the teal seeker, the periwinkle one, the one that almost but not quite looks like TC) He just managed to get a ret-conned biography.

I'm getting more excited about Transformers Generations/Classics 3.0. In addition to Thrust and Drift, we're also getting Darkmount. "Who the heck is Darkmount?" you're probably asking. Simple answer... he's Straxus! I guess Hasbro couldn't secure the name or something. I've also heard that Thrust isn't the last Seeker we're going to get, either. My fingers are crossed for Thundercracker and Dirge!

If we could just get Blitzwing, Scourge, Shockwave, Wheeljack, and Jazz I'd be pretty content with my Classics collection.

I'm getting more excited about Transformers Generations/Classics 3.0. In addition to Thrust and Drift, we're also getting Darkmount. "Who the heck is Darkmount?" you're probably asking. Simple answer... he's Straxus! n.

I had to laugh because I did say "Who the heck is Darkmount?" but then it was immediately followed up with "Who the hell is Straxus??" :lol:

I assume Straxus is a comic character?

MP Grimlock is good news.

Also, the power core combiners are pretty compelling, even with the botless limb drones... sort of like a mixture of regular gestalt teams with the new Devastator, and they'll probably have a lower price point as a result. And elbows, which have been sorely lacking but for the efforts of FansProjects :)

Which brings me to my theory - Is Hasbro tending toward the smaller figures now as a way to manage with the economy? Notice we won't see any WFC toys above deluxe-ish class. MP figures in general have only been the result of grass-roots clamor for domestic releases by fans (and really have only been purchased by those same fans, not impulse buys for kids). We're seeing more Voyager equivalents to figures which were previously Leader-class, and likewise with Deluxe-from-Voyager.

Maybe I'm just seeing things that aren't there, or just getting older or something, but I'm really interested to figure out what Hasbro's big-picture approach is to managing a business in a down economy. I don't mind in the least that they're having to adapt a little bit, because that also helps to keep the franchise vibrant and fresh - who would have thought to take the Armada concept (tack on a mini-con) and actually make the mini-cons into new limbs, or features bigger than just a hand-held weapon, of a larger figure?

The Power Core Combiner gestalt teams are $20, and each leader scout figure is swappable with the scouts from the deluxe 2 packs(the one with minicon Targetmasters).

Pics of the new Alternity figs:

SKYWARP

altsw.jpg

STARSCREAM

altss.jpg

Those look terrible. Like Big Lots fake Transformers terrible.

I had to laugh because I did say "Who the heck is Darkmount?" but then it was immediately followed up with "Who the hell is Straxus??" laugh.gif

I assume Straxus is a comic character?

Yeah. He was the leader of the Decepticons on Cybertron for awhile in the old Marvel line. He tried to have a space bridge to Earth built, got into a fight with Blaster, and nearly killed when the space bridge blew up. In the UK run, his head continued to lead from a life-support pod. Then he tried to take over Megatron's body, failed, and instead downloaded himself into a clone of Megatron who believed he actually was Megatron. The clone eventually blew off his own head with his fusion cannon rather than let Straxus fully take over.

In the IDW line, he has a minor role as one of the first Ark crew. He, along with Galvatron, Cyclonus, Jhiaxus, Grindcore, and Nova Prime became part of the Dead Universe.

Those look terrible. Like Big Lots fake Transformers terrible.

Takara did a good job in replicating the car, but the Orochi itself just looks goofy. That smiling grille and the simulated serpent eyes don't help either. I would be a lot more enthusiastic about Alternity if Takara didn't limit the alt modes to new Japanese models.

Takara did a good job in replicating the car, but the Orochi itself just looks goofy. That smiling grille and the simulated serpent eyes don't help either. I would be a lot more enthusiastic about Alternity if Takara didn't limit the alt modes to new Japanese models.

My beef's not with the car, but that they transformed the car into robots that bear little resemblance to the characters they're supposed to be.

Well, if you squint REEEAL hard you might see a G1 seeker in that mess...

On to local sightings, I snagged movie Lockdown and Brawn at the Target (Lockdown's dope!), but still no HA Barricade.

Well... they do sort of have the vent-ears. Sort of. And I think there's something like null rays on the arms. If we count MP Seekers, I see we also have hip kibble. But the wings on them remind me less of the Seeker's wings and more or Prowl/Bluestreak/Smokescreen's door wings.

I haven't bought any Transformers locally since Bludgeon, since he fits in with my Classics (Classics and MP are the only TFs I'm displaying; the Animated and movie figures that I had collected are all boxed up). I don't know that I'll buy any more until the War for Cybertron or Generations figures start coming out.

It looks like a half-baked hodge-podge to me. Even though I didn't like the movie line at least it had a cohesive look and it was obvious where the focus was. The Toyfair lineup with it's mish-mash of several different things makes it look like Hasbro is just shrugging and saying, "We're not sure what to do this year, so here's a bunch of random stuff from an all-night brainstorming session." There doesn't seem to be a main line this year. So even though there might be "something for everyone" here and there, overall it lacks inspiration to me and a lot of the sculpts and designs just look downright bleh. The Power-Core combiners especially look like an idea from six or seven years ago that's been on the back burner ever since.

That said, yes, there are a few things I'm very excited about - but I'd rather be excited about an entire line rather than just a few random figures.

It looks like a half-baked hodge-podge to me. Even though I didn't like the movie line at least it had a cohesive look and it was obvious where the focus was. The Toyfair lineup with it's mish-mash of several different things makes it look like Hasbro is just shrugging and saying, "We're not sure what to do this year, so here's a bunch of random stuff from an all-night brainstorming session." There doesn't seem to be a main line this year. So even though there might be "something for everyone" here and there, overall it lacks inspiration to me and a lot of the sculpts and designs just look downright bleh. The Power-Core combiners especially look like an idea from six or seven years ago that's been on the back burner ever since.

That said, yes, there are a few things I'm very excited about - but I'd rather be excited about an entire line rather than just a few random figures.

- a lot of movie characters with entirely new improved molds ; articulation & screen accuracy ( new voyager Prime, awesome Hailstorm sculpt, awesome new Sideswipe sculpt, etc. )

- a start for a dedicated War for Cybertron line ; and it's basically fact by now, that a lot of people are digging the style. Don't underestimate this line ; its main drive is the videogame

which means it will have huge consumer reach. Videogame sales which spawn toy line sales CAN be an extremely succesful formula.

- a new Human Alliance Jazz mold ; finally you can rid yourself of that horribly stubby movie 1 Jazz mold.

- the Powercore Combiner concept might not be the thing for every gestalt fan, but the sculpts look decent and it also reaches out to kids who aren't necessarily into transformers.

- the crossovers look OK-ish, with Cad Bane as a standout

- the new Thrust !

- and other new non toyfair TF's in the 2010 pipeline.

On the other hand, as you hinted at ; you could have had another year of "100%" movie line focus.

The only things which imo look crappy are :

- Drift ; lame mold for a lame character

- the Car Seekers ; lame cars.

Edited by knoted

The only things which imo look crappy are :

- Drift ; lame mold for a lame character

- the Car Seekers ; lame cars.

Which are some of the only things that don't look crappy to me. Doot doot doot! :D

Edited by eriku

After looking at Seibertron.com - here's my thoughts:

1. Oh - interesting - Transformers Generations! Great! So we'll have classic charac----who's Dreg? Or Peg? Or whatever his name is? Drift? Huh? What?

2. *Clicks on Battle or War or something for Cybertron Prime* ...WTF? Well - I'll give them props for making the toy accurate to the disfigured video game animation. Looks like Prime went through a meat grinder.

3. I don't like the glossy plastic. Or is it just the lights?

4. Power Core Combiners look mistransformed.

Everything looks mistransformed.

Prefer Gundam to Transformers.

Pete

Yet another Voyager Prime seems a waste of time/effort/money, compared to simply bringing over Buster Prime.
I think you might underestimate the amount of people who would prefer a voyager size over a leader class figure. I for one.

That's why I'm glad I held off buying the old voyager Prime.

The new Deluxe molds Ratchet, Ironhide and Sideswipe are entirely new improved molds and finally, voyager Megatron will be screen colour accurate.

That mold is way better than that odd metal slug leader class Megs.

And yeah... Drift.... imo he looks like a TF - Gundam crossover ; especially those moonboots legs look like generic anime stuff.. ugh..lame stuff.

1. Oh - interesting - Transformers Generations! Great! So we'll have classic charac----who's Dreg? Or Peg? Or whatever his name is? Drift? Huh? What?

:lol: Peg! I have no idea who the hell Drift is either, or Straxus (until reading this thread). Luckily I don't need a character reference to appreciate a toy on its own merits. Not that either of them are particularly phenominal, but Peg at least looks like he fits in the Classics line.

Enough negativity! I've already got more on my list this year for TFs than last year. Admittedly the first one on the list isn't even an official TF toy (Knight Morpher Commander) but hey, it works for me.

:lol: Peg!

We gotta keep spreading this one around until it spreads like JaAm!

I for one think Peg is a stupid character, but I agree that he looks like he belongs in Classics. So I know for sure I'm buying Peg, Thrust, and Straxmount. I'm probably going to buy some of the War for Cybertron figures (and likely the game). I can't wait to get my hands on MP Grimlock (I hear that the US version is getting the crown!). I'll have to see what else comes out in the Generations line... if we get more Classics-ish figures (I've heard rumors that Thrust isn't the only Seeker we're getting), I'll probably bite on those, but that's about it. I don't have any interest in Power Core Combiners or any more movie toys.

Maybe Alternity will come to the States? I wouldn't mind a less-expensive domestic release of Prime and Megatron, but I'm not interested in any of the rest.

Maybe Alternity will come to the States? I wouldn't mind a less-expensive domestic release of Prime and Megatron, but I'm not interested in any of the rest.

That would be interesting. I wonder if they would retain the diecast or make them all plastic like Alternators. I haven't picked up Prime and Megatron yet, but I did go against my instincts and grab a Cliffjumper. He's actually an incredible little toy, and the sculpt doesn't look as doofy to me in person as it does in photos.

I've heard a lot of people say they don't like Peg's character. Is he a dick in the comics?

That would be interesting. I wonder if they would retain the diecast or make them all plastic like Alternators. I haven't picked up Prime and Megatron yet, but I did go against my instincts and grab a Cliffjumper. He's actually an incredible little toy, and the sculpt doesn't look as doofy to me in person as it does in photos.

I've heard a lot of people say they don't like Peg's character. Is he a dick in the comics?

Peg's kind of a dick, but it's not really that. He's just sort of bland, and very "weeabo."

Again, I don't get the negativity & meh reactions to this Toyfair 2010 line up. Most of it looks like pure WIN and improvement all across the board.

Then you're in for definite treat this year! I never liked the mini-con concept or a lot of the Energon/Armada designs which the new power-core stuff reminds me of, so no-go for me. I was looking foward to the new sets of Combaticons and Aerialbots until I saw what he individual limbs look like. Borderline super-deformed vehicles with no bot modes? Seems like a step backward to me, but if the kids like 'em they can have them. HA Jazz? Nah, but I would opt for a hefty HA Ironhide though. The WFC toy designs don't interest me in the least, but the game looks promising.

Only a few new designs struck my fancy, namely Hailstorm and Darkmount. As for Peg, my TF collection is sorely lacking in the rice rocket department so he will fill that niche quite nicely with that big ol' kanji character emblazoned on his side. Adding the fact that I'm a sucker for robots with melee weapons make Drift a welcome sight.

So in the end most of the new stuff just isn't my cup of tea. I need to thin out my collection anyways...

Alternity Prime and Megs are quite incredible toys themselves-articulate little pieces of kick-ass with integrated weapons. Here's to hoping that the line will include something like the new Challenger someday!

Borderline super-deformed vehicles with no bot modes? Seems like a step backward to me......

I just had an alarming thought. Look at these non-transforming PCC drones, the new line of TF vehicles with pop-out weapons but no bot modes, the upcoming TF Weebles, the RPMs, the big ROTF Devastator toy from last year...it sure seems like Hasbro is trying hard to find ways to take the 'transform' out of Transformers. :ph34r:

I just had an alarming thought. Look at these non-transforming PCC drones, the new line of TF vehicles with pop-out weapons but no bot modes, the upcoming TF Weebles, the RPMs, the big ROTF Devastator toy from last year...it sure seems like Hasbro is trying hard to find ways to take the 'transform' out of Transformers. :ph34r:

Two words: Action Masters.

Oh well, at least we've still got Peg.

In a way, they're all slightly different versions of the samurai/ninja robot template.

Amusingly enough, the concept art for Peg had "do ri fu to" in katakana on the doors (don't remember if he ever turned up in the comic book with it). For whatever reason, they changed it to a kanji on the production model, and although the red on red makes it a little hard to tell, I do believe the kanji they stuck on Peg is "samurai."