HG and Robotech Debates

What's the reason for not adding subs on Japanese DVDs anyway? The US add french and Spanish to some DVDs all the time. You'd think that adding an english dub would make sense to get more people to buy it, regardless of where they are.

That's because quite a few of the US releases are technically for all of North America. This means you have Spanish for Mexico and French for the Canadian province of Quebec.

Sorry about going off-topic there.

That's because quite a few of the US releases are technically for all of North America. This means you have Spanish for Mexico and French for the Canadian province of Quebec.

Sorry about going off-topic there.

[sarcasm]I think it's got more to do with Japan being very ethnocentric and not believing in other languages (they think they're just roomers and myths.) [/sarcasm]

Edited by anime52k8

but is there anything legally keeping them from adding english subs? I mean they know a lot of these DVDs find their way abroad. They can just take the stance that it's just for Japan but still release it... I dont get why they just don't take advantage. I'm downloading subs when I can be buying actual DVDs.

but is there anything legally keeping them from adding english subs? I mean they know a lot of these DVDs find their way abroad. They can just take the stance that it's just for Japan but still release it... I dont get why they just don't take advantage. I'm downloading subs when I can be buying actual DVDs.

I doubt it. I rented a DVD of the '80s movie "Tampopo" when I was in Tokyo, and that had English subtitles on it. So, I believe, did the DVD of the '90s Japanese movie, "Swallowtail Butterfly," and THAT (unlike "Tampopo") never had an official English release.

So...they CAN do it; they just don't.

I'd also like to mention to anime52k8 that virtually every sign in Tokyo is in Japanese AND ENGLISH.

I've noticed, I've been there. ^_^ (I'm a quarter Japanese by the way)

Y'know, I had a feeling you were being sarcastic...but this thread in particular always seems to have people saying the most outrageous things with a straight face, so I always tend to turn my "irony-detector" off when I come in here.

Sorry for underestimating you. :unsure:

Y'know, I had a feeling you were being sarcastic...but this thread in particular always seems to have people saying the most outrageous things with a straight face

That's because there comes a point where the only purpose this thread can possibly serve is pure sarcasm and irony. I mean... as has been mentioned a dozen times before - there's not really much debate here.

It's like...lots of people log on to proclaim the banal news that 2 + 2 is 4. Then sometimes somebody like Memo logs on to say NO ITS' FIVE AND A HALF BECAUSE ANIME-LOVERS.COM SAYS SO. Then poor Seto spends hours posting complex mathematical equations and proofs, to which Memo replies LIAR LIAR PANTS ON FIRE, followed by the likes of Whamhammer posting things like "Hey! 2 plus 2 IS FIVE guys!" and the Gubaba being like "what!? How can you say that!? Where is your evidence?!" to which Whamhammer is like "Oh - my bad. Typo."

And on it goes :-)

Not that I'm complaining. I find this to be one of the more entertaining threads on the boards - and it's much better to have it open rather than closed.

Still...sometimes it's hard to know what to write :-)

Pete

That's because there comes a point where the only purpose this thread can possibly serve is pure sarcasm and irony. I mean... as has been mentioned a dozen times before - there's not really much debate here.

It's like...lots of people log on to proclaim the banal news that 2 + 2 is 4. Then sometimes somebody like Memo logs on to say NO ITS' FIVE AND A HALF BECAUSE ANIME-LOVERS.COM SAYS SO. Then poor Seto spends hours posting complex mathematical equations and proofs, to which Memo replies LIAR LIAR PANTS ON FIRE, followed by the likes of Whamhammer posting things like "Hey! 2 plus 2 IS FIVE guys!" and the Gubaba being like "what!? How can you say that!? Where is your evidence?!" to which Whamhammer is like "Oh - my bad. Typo."

And on it goes :-)

Not that I'm complaining. I find this to be one of the more entertaining threads on the boards - and it's much better to have it open rather than closed.

Still...sometimes it's hard to know what to write :-)

Pete

I think you mean Wanzerfan, not Whamhammer... :)

It seems like whenever I start to think there's no reason for this thread to continue, someone posts something like this and I bust out laughing.

This may very well be the most accurate and succinct summary of the situation with MEMO that anyone has ever written. Really, at this point I'm not even trying to prove him wrong anymore... I'm just doing it for the lulz. More often than not, MEMO's knee-jerk attempts to prove me wrong are unintentionally hilarious circular arguments and the sort of moon logic that would lead one to conclude that 2+2 equals "fish". I don't think he realizes it, but in the course of this long-running debate about Macross rights, MEMO has so thoroughly destroyed his own credibility that I very much doubt there's anyone left who takes him seriously. He's reached a level of respectability normally reserved for cranks and the sort of conspiracy theorists who wear tinfoil hats. Now that his last great supporter, Pizza the Hutt, has been banned on Robotech.com and has achieved the distinction of being the first person to ever be banned from RobotechX, I wonder if he'll finally shut up.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

In that case here's something to consider:

Who has the rights to Macross in Costa Rica? If I'm not mistaken, Costa Rica is a protectorate of the USA, but not a state, and thereby not the United States. So... does it fall under the category of "international" or "domestic" ?

Discuss.

Pete

Costa Rica is an independent country.

I don't think he realizes it, but in the course of this long-running debate about Macross rights, MEMO has so thoroughly destroyed his own credibility that I very much doubt there's anyone left who takes him seriously. He's reached a level of respectability normally reserved for cranks and the sort of conspiracy theorists who wear tinfoil hats. Now that his last great supporter, Pizza the Hutt, has been banned on Robotech.com and has achieved the distinction of being the first person to ever be banned from RobotechX, I wonder if he'll finally shut up.

Sometimes he makes it too obvious for the sake of Robotech. I've seen the rules for his forum/site change from:

TATSU,HG/BW ,SN LEGALITY DEBATES, TOPICS, AND POST WILL BE DELETED EXEMPT FOR THE CANNON FODDER FORUM WHERE IT WILL BELONG. NEED TO LOG IN TO SEE FORUM. THERE WILL BE ONLY AN INFORMATION THREAD IN THE LIVE ACTION FORM.

to:

NON MODS WHO START TATSU,HG/BW ,SN LEGALITY DEBATES, TOPICS, AND POST WILL BE DELETED EXEMPT FOR THE CANNON FODDER FORUM WHERE IT WILL BELONG. NEED TO LOG IN TO SEE FORUM. THERE WILL BE ONLY AN INFORMATION THREAD IN THE LIVE ACTION FORUM PER RULE IN FIRST POST WHERE MODS CAN PUT UP UPDATES.

He apparently runs rtx.com like Animal Farm now.

Memo's post would not be so bad if he wasn't using caps lock continuously.

Does he realize that in doing so it means he is screaming to the high heavens?

I'm BOTH. Why is nobody paying me...?

Idk. Start your own anime company.

Figure out some sort of loop hole that will allow Macross to come stateside.

Edited by BeyondTheGrave

Actually, that's a good idea.

Gubaba - start your own anime and Manga company. Bring over and translate little known manga and anime - there has to be a ton of stuff which even people who go looking for it...don't know about. I mean - ultimately those of us who only know english or anothe non-Japanese language and who haven't been to Japan, don't have friends there and haven't seen first hand what's available know only what is filtered to us through sites like this one.

You should seriously think about it. Or try to get a job as a translator with an existing anime company - try to land some freelance work in the beginning.

Just throw caution to the wind and get cracking :)

Pete

Actually, that's a good idea.

Gubaba - start your own anime and Manga company. Bring over and translate little known manga and anime - there has to be a ton of stuff which even people who go looking for it...don't know about. I mean - ultimately those of us who only know english or anothe non-Japanese language and who haven't been to Japan, don't have friends there and haven't seen first hand what's available know only what is filtered to us through sites like this one.

You should seriously think about it. Or try to get a job as a translator with an existing anime company - try to land some freelance work in the beginning.

Pete

Enh, I'm not ready for that yet.

As Dave Sim once said (and he was talking about drawing comics, but I think it works for any discipline): "First you get good. Then you get fast. Then you get good AND fast."

I'm still getting good.

But hey! I've already finished my allotted three pages of "My Fair Minmay" for the day, so any more that I do today is gravy!

To tie it (sorta) back into the topic...didn't some of the Robotech novels have excerpts from Jamis Merin (or whatever she was called in Robotech)'s memoirs? Where she was kind of a Shirley MacLaine, new age-y figure?

Jamis in "My Fair Minmay" is really, REALLY different from that. Seriously...What. A. Bitch.

It would probably be a mistake to say that he "runs" RobotechX at all... he might pay the hosting bill, but the actual administrative work is done by someone else. For all practical purposes, MEMO's just an incredibly obnoxious global moderator. Exactly the same as he is on Robotech.com. Though, just like on Robotech.com, he desperately wants to stop people from pointing out that Harmony Gold doesn't own the intellectual property rights to Macross, and thus cannot use Macross designs in future cinematic works. While he might deny it, the general assessment of his behavior among those Robotech who have to put up with him is that he's hoping that if he keeps this up Harmony Gold'll offer him a job.

Memo's post would not be so bad if he wasn't using caps lock continuously.

Does he realize that in doing so it means he is screaming to the high heavens?

Oh, they'd still be BAD, they'd just be easier to read.

Y'know, I offered to pay him if he'd take care of a few important Macross II sheets in Macross Chronicle for me, since he translates faster than I do, but he shot me down...

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Costa Rica is an independent country.

Sometimes he makes it too obvious for the sake of Robotech. I've seen the rules for his forum/site change from:

to:

Four legs good. Two legs better.

Taksraven

Enh, I'm not ready for that yet.

As Dave Sim once said (and he was talking about drawing comics, but I think it works for any discipline): "First you get good. Then you get fast. Then you get good AND fast."

I'm still getting good.

Your ready for it just release a series, then promise fans another series is on its way... just around the corner but in the meantime buy the first product 8 times over re-branded as new and improved. And to make sure it sells throw some attractive girl/guy on the cover..

Afterward create a froum and ban everyone who questions you. Also dance around the subject of when the next series is coming out if your going to create another series.

Afterward copyright and reference to that series starting with simple everyday word such as "the" and the color blue.

Oh, they'd still be BAD, they'd just be easier to read.

So he'd be whispering then?

Right around the time Macross Chronicle #21 came out, if memory serves.

Strange...I don't remember that...

Still, it kind of sounds like something I'd reject; I'm not terribly confident in my abilities to begin with, and translating the VF-25S page for Chronicles made me feel useless and untalented. Translation took more than a month, and then getting peppered with questions that I couldn't answer didn't do wonders for my sense of a job well done, either.

So I'm happy to do the pages, but I don't feel comfortable getting paid for them.

(Then, having Memo come on saying that he wanted to do the Robotech Codex and was looking for information about the VF-1 made me worry that some unscrupulous RT fan would take my translation and twist it to fit that series...and didn't make me especially eager to do more.)

I can imagine it now:

*whisper* SETO YOU WRONG ABOUT EVRYTHING HARMONY GOLD OWN EVERYTHING IF YOU WILL NOT PRODUCE THE COURT DOCUMENTS AS PROOF THEN YOU WILL BE BANNED WHICH MAKES ME RIGHT BEAUSE ONE PLUS ONE EQUALS NEGATIVE SIX.

HEHEHE

Or something like that.

You're spelling and grammar is too good.

Which brings up a good reason to enjoy Memo's caps-lock problems...it makes it much easier to parody his style. ^_^

I blame spell check. Dang you squiggly line that shows me my errors!!! :lol:

REALLY WHAT YOU NEEDS TO DO DO IS JUST TYPE QUICKLY AND SMOETIMES* IMPERTANT WORDS OUT SO THAT WHAT YOUR SAYING REALLY DOESN'T MAKE MUCH SENSE. MY FAVORITE MISSPELLING IS MEMO'S USE OF THE WORD "PERVY" WHEN HE REALLY MEANS "PRIVVY" BECUAS IT'S THE FUNNIEST I THINK.

HEHEHE

*The word "leave" has been omitted in order to make the sentence incomprehensible.

There: Lesson 1 of "How to Write Like MEMO1DOMINION." You owe me five bucks. :)

I wonder if Pizza the Hutt is reading this, and how much it's making his blood pressure rise...?

In a world controlled by Harmony Gold....

Robotech is the law, life and religion of the people....

And Eminent domain applies to any and everything they see and feel....

One man will rise up against all odds... His name....

Shōji Kawamori

Along with band of rebels...

Will inspire hope and awaken the culture within that once thought as lost.

Starring Jet li as Shōji Kawamori

in:

Robotech: Operation: SUPER DIMENSION FORTRESS MACROSS the movie.

A VFTF1 Production

:):lol:

You do know I was kidding , right? Just figured I'd intro some levity into the fray.

You're spelling and grammar is too good.

Which brings up a good reason to enjoy Memo's caps-lock problems...it makes it much easier to parody his style. ^_^

On "MEMO"s spelling and grammar, isnt English his second language? I was under the impression that he is from South or Central America.

If you become successful you could have a Minmay statue built where the Odaiba gundam sat. Or a Ranka or even a Sheryl... heck have all three in a single statue in their signature poses. ^_^

Imagining a 1:1 statue of 'rise up' Sheryl :nosebleed:

On the issue of MEMO, he can speak english perfectly and yet he has problem writing cohesive sentences?

REALLY WHAT YOU NEEDS TO DO DO IS JUST TYPE QUICKLY AND SMOETIMES* IMPERTANT WORDS OUT SO THAT WHAT YOUR SAYING REALLY DOESN'T MAKE MUCH SENSE. MY FAVORITE MISSPELLING IS MEMO'S USE OF THE WORD "PERVY" WHEN HE REALLY MEANS "PRIVVY" BECUAS IT'S THE FUNNIEST I THINK.

HEHEHE

*The word "leave" has been omitted in order to make the sentence incomprehensible.

There: Lesson 1 of "How to Write Like MEMO1DOMINION." You owe me five bucks. :)

I wonder if Pizza the Hutt is reading this, and how much it's making his blood pressure rise...?

I dunno I imagine pizza the hutt thinks memo is not a true robotech fan because he put an end to his asshattery. At least that's the kind of logic that moron uses in his arguments