Whale Wars

I have not partied hard for 2 Fridays, just so I could catch my new favorite show. Now, I will keep this post as a-political as possible since whaling is a contentious subject in some areas of the world, but this show is just freaking epic. The best parts always revolve around the "Captain" coming up with a plan to harass the whalers, but his soldiers absolutely botching the execution of relatively simple commands.

Things recently got nasty when the whaling fleet installed LRAD's on their ships and started using it against the Sea Shepherds. I was quite shocked that the first target they picked to test their new weapon was on the helicopter (I mean you really don't want to disorient a chopper pilot). Both sides have become super aggressive now. I can't wait till both parties get their hidden cache of Kalashnikov's (which you know they have) and really start treating this like serious business.

If you want something new to watch, this is it. In the US it airs on Animal Planet.

I have not partied hard for 2 Fridays, just so I could catch my new favorite show. Now, I will keep this post as a-political as possible since whaling is a contentious subject in some areas of the world, but this show is just freaking epic. The best parts always revolve around the "Captain" coming up with a plan to harass the whalers, but his soldiers absolutely botching the execution of relatively simple commands.

Things recently got nasty when the whaling fleet installed LRAD's on their ships and started using it against the Sea Shepherds. I was quite shocked that the first target they picked to test their new weapon was on the helicopter (I mean you really don't want to disorient a chopper pilot). Both sides have become super aggressive now. I can't wait till both parties get their hidden cache of Kalashnikov's (which you know they have) and really start treating this like serious business.

If you want something new to watch, this is it. In the US it airs on Animal Planet.

Try The Sea Shepards ForumVisit My Website

Edited by miles316

I don't reallly condone whale hunting but these guys can be way out of line. I wonder how did they ever made this a reality TV series without flouting international maritime laws as well as endangering the safety of their and the whalers' crew.

I don't reallly condone whale hunting but these guys can be way out of line. I wonder how did they ever made this a reality TV series without flouting international maritime laws as well as endangering the safety of their and the whalers' crew.

I'm torn as well.. I think the captain is a coward and a bit of a racist plus he's constantly blaming the crew even when it was his own incompetent orders that were the root of the problems. And a lot of the stuff I think they claim is just outright BS designed to generate publicity, like when they claimed the whalers shot at him or the biological weapon scare.

Having said that, I think it's well past time the japanese and other nations need to give up whaling. It belongs in the past.

I'm torn as well.. I think the captain is a coward and a bit of a racist plus he's constantly blaming the crew even when it was his own incompetent orders that were the root of the problems. And a lot of the stuff I think they claim is just outright BS designed to generate publicity, like when they claimed the whalers shot at him or the biological weapon scare.

Having said that, I think it's well past time the japanese and other nations need to give up whaling. It belongs in the past.

Yeah. Noone eats it anyway. I've spoken to a fair few Japanese people who claim that they continue the hunting of whales in order to divert attention from the criminal over-fishing of Tuna.

Is this Anime or Science fiction related? Maybe we can pretend that the show takes place in Dynamite Seven. Space Whales!!!!!!! :o

Edited by Alex

Pretend the captain is Max , and the outboard boats are VF-22s....

we jsut need a Basara to go sing in front of the whaling vessel with a guitar in hand. That would be awesome.

Pretend the captain is Max , and the outboard boats are VF-22s....

we jsut need a Basara to go sing in front of the whaling vessel with a guitar in hand. That would be awesome.

"POW-AAAH TO THE.......HYDROCHLORIC ACID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

lol that would be awesome if the captain really did try that with the whalers! I can see his tubby fat ass in a little pink dress standing at thebow of the ship and singing out his little lungs. It's not hydrochloric acid though, that poo would severely injure anyone it hit if not kill them .. it's butyric acid which just stinks to high heaven.

Edited by eugimon

I'd say that's my biggest problem with the whole idea/premise of the show. The Japanese whalers are willing to take much more drastic steps to protect themselves, yet all the Sea Shepard crew can manage to do is try and huck stink bombs up on deck. I think their cause is noble and the right thing to do, I just don't think they are particularly effective, which sorta kills the premise.

I hear what you're saying but the Sea Shepards are pretty much skating the line already, if they step over and use more aggressive tactics than that opens the door for escalation (even greater) and they really don't have the means or the legitimacy to keep up in an arms race.

I think their best weapon is public support and I think that's the whole point of the show, to publicize what they're doing, what their mission is, what the situation is.

But I agree, I think in the greater scheme of thing, the over fishing of the oceans of sensitive species like blue fin tuna is a far greater issue... but tuna just isn't as cute as a whale or dolphin.

The problem with this show is that it's boring as all hell. I don't care about anything that's going on and it's not really that compelling. But I think this is a problem that's inherent to the whole reality/documentary format. Now if they wanted to elevate this show above the level of half-assed Deadliest Catch rip off that it's at now, they really need to give the whole concept a reworking.

instead of a documentary style reality show, Make it a scripted show shot in a documentary style. I personally love the whole mocumentary action-movie style of film-making, and by making it scripted they can start adding in some real interesting content. First they need all new characters with more personality; Give the whalers more screen time, make their captain a modern day Ahab. Recast all the anti-whaling people to, Make them a real eclectic mix of mercenaries and eco-terrorists; and give them a better name, sea Shepards just sounds so weak.

Also they can spice up the action this way, no more of this crap with stink bombs and LRAD's. There calling it Whale WARS, I expect to see some combat. Wild west high sea's gunfights with Pirate attacks and crazy PMC's, speed boat chases and at least one instance of taking out an attack helicopter with a sniper rifle.

basically I'm picturing a cross between Moby-Dick and Black Lagoon. There's a really brilliant concept burred deep within the wormed offer hunk of blubber that is this show, This could be the next 24 if someone out there in TV land has the brains and balls to do what has to be done to save this ship.

I really liked last night's eps, they FINALLY managed to prop-foul one of the harpoon ships. After feeling pretty good about themselves, the JP whaling fleet strikes back by pwning a whale right in front of them lol. I think the gloves come off next week and things get nasty.

On a side note, Watson strikes me as less and less like-able. When his chopper pilot (the only intelligent guy in the whole outfit) tells him to be careful when shooting flares into the air (as it might hit the chopper) his response was, "I don't know what he's talking about." <_<

Now, it would be awesome if there was some sort of proxy war escalation and both sides hired PMC's (or Somali pirates) to defend themselves, though I doubt that will ever happen, and Animal Planet would probably stop filming at that point.

Edited by Ghost Train

i hate to say it but this show is my guilty pleasure :lol:

clueless inept hippies with no training, egos the size of planets and a hint of really semi racist comments on a boat that is not equipped for the area of the ocean that they operate in vs. professional Japanese whalers....

either way i think the whales get the short end of the stick.

i just love it when it all goes to hell.

I've only seen one episode, where the captain took a ship full of hippys who have never as much as been out to sea before TO THE SOUTH POLE. The lack of planning or preparation left me scratching my head. I mean, it gets really rough in the antarctic, and these people have zero training for cold weather situations.

I've only seen one episode, where the captain took a ship full of hippys who have never as much as been out to sea before TO THE SOUTH POLE. The lack of planning or preparation left me scratching my head. I mean, it gets really rough in the antarctic, and these people have zero training for cold weather situations.

if it makes you feel better, the Steve Irwin isn't fitted for the ice at all. In one episode they're lost in an ice drift and the captain has two crew members down in the hold trying to reinforce the buckling hull with some 2x4s... or maybe that doesn't make you feel better? :lol:

if it makes you feel better, the Steve Irwin isn't fitted for the ice at all. In one episode they're lost in an ice drift and the captain has two crew members down in the hold trying to reinforce the buckling hull with some 2x4s... or maybe that doesn't make you feel better? :lol:

This is true, because Paul Watson is such a putz. Like when he sent a couple of the hippies over to illegally board the japanese ship then immediately calls the press to say his crewmen have been abducted. I realize he's waging a propaganda war, but without this show, the general public would not have realized that it was all his own idea. I think he hurts his own cause by allowing his schemes to be televised. He comes off like a whiney bitch.

It is amusing how he's willing to throw his volunteers into very dangerous situations like cannon fodder though...and he always looks like he just woke up.

I was disappointed by the seemingly ineffective LRADs. I wanted to see those guys puking and passing out.

This is true, because Paul Watson is such a putz. Like when he sent a couple of the hippies over to illegally board the japanese ship then immediately calls the press to say his crewmen have been abducted. I realize he's waging a propaganda war, but without this show, the general public would not have realized that it was all his own idea. I think he hurts his own cause by allowing his schemes to be televised. He comes off like a whiney bitch.

It is amusing how he's willing to throw his volunteers into very dangerous situations like cannon fodder though...and he always looks like he just woke up.

I was disappointed by the seemingly ineffective LRADs. I wanted to see those guys puking and passing out.

I'm all for doing whatever it takes (within reason of course) to end whaling. It's a pretty barbaric custom for a "resource" no one needs and only a handful of people even want... but I agree, the captain is a buffoon. My personal favorite is when he claimed the whalers shot him... such a lol moment considering the distance of the two ships, the fact that they were in rough waters and the two ships were pitching and rolling... but somehow an unseen sniper managed to get a small caliber round right into the middle of watson's chest... :rolleyes:

I don't get the "being shot" thing.....everyone on the net says its fake but the captain purposely made "dorama" that he was shot for theatrical effect and they passed it off as truth in the show?

that's another thing, why would you set a show like this around the south pole? How is the arctic a good backdrop for high-seas action drama? it's so gray and cold and depressing. Once again, if they had any sence about them they'd set this someplace tropical. bright sun, sandy beaches, crystal clear waters with hot women in bikini's snorkeling, what does the arctic have? Ice, and cold. relocated the show to someplace like the Caribbean or maybe south-east asia if you want something more exotic. Anywhere that has a little more life than the arctic.