A cross between toy and non-fiction

shadow strikers

We know all inventions started as idea or a toy say the airplane tanks and so on well I was thinking is it possible for us to make Valkyries in real life of course we would need a ton of extreme robotics experts and so on but I mean there's one person that built a giant working robotic hand why can we build things like that to form a Valkyrie.

First of all, you need to use some punctuation. I'm not trying to be picky, but that is one long-ass sentence.

Second, we can't even built a reliable flying car yet. I don't think we have anywhere near the technology to make a transforming robotic fighter plane. The costs would be insane, and there is no real incentive for anyone to make one.

What would you actually need a plane that can transform into a robot for? Other than it would be extremely sweet to park in the office parking lot, crush cars, pick up babes.... well, I guess there are a few uses for one, but none of them so practical.

First of all, you need to use some punctuation. I'm not trying to be picky, but that is one long-ass sentence.

Second, we can't even built a reliable flying car yet. I don't think we have anywhere near the technology to make a transforming robotic fighter plane. The costs would be insane, and there is no real incentive for anyone to make one.

What would you actually need a plane that can transform into a robot for? Other than it would be extremely sweet to park in the office parking lot, crush cars, pick up babes.... well, I guess there are a few uses for one, but none of them so practical.

there is a flying car in the air museum in florida forgot the name of it, they have a flying car that someone built along time ago flew it once the guy was scared and never flew it again even though he had to for the mace's parade.

It could be used it's called war you could use it to make the ground soldier obsolete, you wouldn't need ground soldiers anymore only pilots. It would make you win a war quicker, because people would fear 50ft robots attacking them especialy if its a army of them.

It could be used it's called war you could use it to make the ground soldier obsolete, you wouldn't need ground soldiers anymore only pilots. It would make you win a war quicker, because people would fear 50ft robots attacking them especialy if its a army of them.

My point was that the government would have to spend hundreds of billions of dollars to research and build it, and then it would likely just crash, killing the pilot. And you would still need ground soldiers. Can you imagine the US occupying the middle east in giant robots?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for massive robots - thats one reason I live in Japan. :)

It's impossible without alien technologies in just about every facet you could conceive. You could build a big, lumbering, easy target but it'd be easy pickin's for every tank out there. Most mechs don't make much sense... transformable mechs tend to make even less sense...

It's impossible without alien technologies in just about every facet you could conceive. You could build a big, lumbering, easy target but it'd be easy pickin's for every tank out there. Most mechs don't make much sense... transformable mechs tend to make even less sense...

indeed it makes no sense at all to make a machine that transforms into humanoid.

Transformers is another story because these are Aliens from outer space and they transforms into any of our civlization machinery to hide themself.

Why transform from Jet to Tank.... When you can have a flying tank? *Looks at AC-130*

The A-10 Warthog would have been my 1st thought, but the Specter Gun ship with a 105mm..... Ka-Boom!!!

That or wait for an Alien ship to crash land on an Island in the South pacific to gather the technology, if any is available.

Most importantly, even if it was possible to make this wonderweapon, who's going to pay for it? We can't even find funds for a handful of stealth fighters! :lol:

The ground soldier will NEVER be obsolete. We've developed all sorts of armored vehicles but at the end of the day, the joe with a gun is the only one that can occupy land.

Edited by Vifam7

Before you rag on it to much a bi-pedal robot would have allot of advantages in the field. Think of all the obstacles that a human on foot can navigate that a tank never could. Something akin to Patlabour or Battletech could be in the future.

Right now I think the only reason it's not being done is you can't combine the agility with speed on even the small robots they are making now in the labs. 10-20 years from now when the software, computer hardware and sensors are at a point so that you could make a robot move as good as or better than a human you will probably start seeing military applications. The US DARPA agency is already working on exoskeletons and have working prototypes.

http://singularityhub.com/2009/06/11/army-...rhuman-strength

youtube-

FYI SARCOS just got bought out by Raytheon.

Transforming robots.....cool but not practical. What are you giving up in weapons, armor and powerplant so that your plane can transform into a robot?

As for rl mechs, the only thing I see in the near future are even more advanced UCAV drones and perhaps something akin to powered exoskeletons. As cool as scifi mechs are I don't seem them being too practical. Any advantage conferred by the fact that it's bipedal is negated by size and lack of stealth.

Bipedal walkers are much more complex and thus vulnerable to damage not only from weapons but its own movement. Robust components are a huge issue, and even considering tech advances, the future treaded tank is still going to be much more powerful and sturdy than the future bipedal mech.

We know all inventions started as idea or a toy say the airplane tanks and so on well I was thinking is it possible for us to make Valkyries in real life of course we would need a ton of extreme robotics experts and so on but I mean there's one person that built a giant working robotic hand why can we build things like that to form a Valkyrie.

Not to be mean but is this what U.S. Education gives kids nowadays? I sure hope he is from another country because if English is his primary language......GOOD LORD!!!!

As for the whole robot transformation dilemma, it might happen but not in our lifetime.......unless an alien spaceship crash-lands on Earth and we are attacked by an alien armada that is........wait.......Where have I heard this before?????

Edited by Macross World Daddy

Before you rag on it to much a bi-pedal robot would have allot of advantages in the field. Think of all the obstacles that a human on foot can navigate that a tank never could. Something akin to Patlabour or Battletech could be in the future.

Right now I think the only reason it's not being done is you can't combine the agility with speed on even the small robots they are making now in the labs. 10-20 years from now when the software, computer hardware and sensors are at a point so that you could make a robot move as good as or better than a human you will probably start seeing military applications. The US DARPA agency is already working on exoskeletons and have working prototypes.

http://singularityhub.com/2009/06/11/army-...rhuman-strength

youtube-

FYI SARCOS just got bought out by Raytheon.

Transforming robots.....cool but not practical. What are you giving up in weapons, armor and powerplant so that your plane can transform into a robot?

or you could combine the two machine and man creating a technorganic creature, that's powerful as as machine but agile like a human

As for rl mechs, the only thing I see in the near future are even more advanced UCAV drones and perhaps something akin to powered exoskeletons. As cool as scifi mechs are I don't seem them being too practical. Any advantage conferred by the fact that it's bipedal is negated by size and lack of stealth.

the humanoid form would be more for close combat, like say you cant get people out of a area so you get a group of 50ft humanoid form robots to stomp them out, then the soldier come in to take care of the rest.

Not to be mean but is this what U.S. Education gives kids nowadays? I sure hope he is from another country because if English is his primary language......GOOD LORD!!!!

As for the whole robot transformation dilemma, it might happen but not in our lifetime.......unless an alien spaceship crash-lands on Earth and we are attacked by an alien armada that is........wait.......Where have I heard this before?????

I'm actually real good at typing/writing but when im on vacation I'm like nah forget it.

I love war craft that transform into giant robots, and non transforming Mecha also... it's what draws me to Macross in particular and anime in general (although, if you wanted to be real picky, most anime Mecha are not Robots in the strict sense of the word since they are piloted machines, and generally incapable of autonomous operation).

The concept of these types of machines is great for the medium in which they are depicted, but anything other than a quadruped, hexapod or octopod --one could argue that a legged tank could traverse terrain that even a tracked vehicle could not navigate -- would be completely impractical in real life; bipeds are just too vulnerable to damage, and the complexity involved in having them maintain their balance under even the most benign of environs renders them unworkable as war machines. And if you'd like to make a jet that could transform into a vaguely anthropomorphic humanoid form, you'd just be adding insurmountable (at least with today's computational, mechanical, materials technologies) complexity, and stress/failure points on top of impracticality, for no measurable gain... the term "waist of resources" comes to mind.

So, keep the cool humanoid mechs where they belong: firmly ensconced in the confines of sci-fi anime, and leave the real fighting to tracked vehicles... manned, remotely controlled, or robotic.

Unless there has been some significant advancements, a jet engine requires air for combustion. The air enters the intake, is compressed, and fuel is injected into the mix and literally exploded out the rear. It would require another set of engines for use in space. Not sure how they could work that little issue out and keep the airframe size that a VF-1 has. We would also need some serious powerplant advancements.

I don't know of any metal we have developed yet, that could withstand the repeated (and superfast) transformations that enable the fighter to get to mech mode. All the metals we have would buckle, shear, or bend and lose rigidity without significant reinforcements, further blowing the idea of a lithe fighter out of the air. Also, most metals wouldn't live up to the massive heat generated from the friction of entering the atmosphere so many times. It would end up as one decent sized, scorched lawn dart. Same with having a sophisticated enough computer system that can process all the commands by the human operator into electrohydraulic movements by the fighter/gerwalk/battroid.

I can see the computer part happening...maybe. Maybe the metals fabrication in the future, but the powerplant issue is not going to happen. Not without intervention from a far-away race that has been monitoring the fact that we test nuclear bombs and is probably reading the broadcast of Hitler and the Olympics. I'd probably stay the hell away.

I'm actually real good at typing/writing but when im on vacation I'm like nah forget it.

I usually forget to capitalize and tend not to correct spelling but the idea of someone being to lazy and have the attitude of let everyone in the forum figure it out is really disrespectful...

On that note... not only has this been discussed to death but also the wrong section.