Yamato 1/60 VF-1J Weathering Special

Project Phoenix

Hey Hey no disin' the Storm Trooper now! The Yamato weathering sucks but the gleaming eye shattering white is awesome IMO.

Yeah, you know what? That is lame for Yamato to milk this whole special/limited edition weathered look.

If you're really concerned and frustrated that you are so turned off that you don't want to get it...I would recommend spending the money for your next valkyrie and invest on an air compressor & air brush kit. You can probably get a set for $219 USD or cheaper.

This way, you can control the weathering look, and you'll be able to apply the technique on all your other figures that need weathering.

So skip your next valkyrie purchase and get an airbrush kit. Just remember to be subtle, and weathering looks best when the whole valkyrie is wash-up light gray with weathering, not shinny bright white.

I don't have any 1/60 VFs yet, hoping that they'll do a VE or VT.

Now, go get your hands dirty dirtah!

That looks great, ikhii. What did you use for the weathering on the -1S? An airbrush or something else?

Hi MacrossJunkie, I use Tamiya Weathering Kit Set D.

Check this site for more detail. It works like a charm and it's cheap. You can do tones of valk with this.

Cheers,

ikhii

Edited by ikhii

Yamato is really expanding their line of weathered products. Pretty soon, they will be releasing limited weathered editions of Ryomou from Ikkitousen and Motoko from Ghost in the Shell. <_<

Check this site for more detail. It works like a charm and it's cheap. You can do tones of valk with this.

Cheers,

ikhii

Any tips or suggestions? If I have never done this before how challenging will it be? Your weathering skills are on point by the way! I would seriously consider purchasing a Valk to do some practice on if it is not too difficult. Thanks for sharing the pics and any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

ikhii

Hey thanks, ikhii. I think I'll order sets B, C, and D and give them a try. Looks a lot more convenient than using my stupid airbrush as I hate doing all the clean up and maintenance and the results of those kits look great.

Any tips or suggestions? If I have never done this before how challenging will it be? Your weathering skills are on point by the way! I would seriously consider purchasing a Valk to do some practice on if it is not too difficult. Thanks for sharing the pics and any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hi MacrossMan,

It's quite simple. The Weathering Master Kit is like a 'makeup kit' so what they say. You can just apply on the valks directly without worring about doing it wrong. Use a wet cloth to clean up if you don't like the effects. Dry cloth to dry it up and you may apply on it again. You have all the practice you need as you can 'undo' everything yourself. The good/bad news (depending on how you see it) is that it is easily removed. Sometimes when you transform it for few times, it may go off. So you can reapply them again or you can try to fix the weathering effect with coating spray.

All in all, one weathering kit may give you more than what you bargain for. I used up only 10% of the kit for a total of 10 toys now (depending on the size). Very easy and great effects.

Cheers,

ikhii

Edited by ikhii

Hi MacrossMan,

It's quite simple. The Weathering Master Kit is like a 'makeup kit' so what they say. You can just apply on the valks directly without worring about doing it wrong. Use a wet cloth to clean up if you don't like the effects. Dry cloth to dry it up and you may apply on it again. You have all the practice you need as you can 'undo' everything yourself. The good/bad news (depending on how you see it) is that it is easily removed. Sometimes when you transform it for few times, it may go off. So you can reapply them again or you can try to fix the weathering effect with coating spray.

All in all, one weathering kit may give you more than what you bargain for. I used up only 10% of the kit for a total of 10 toys now (depending on the size). Very easy and great effects.

Cheers,

ikhii

Thanks for that ikhii. I think I will take a dive into this and use the three v1 1/60 Valks I have for practice. Never seen a weathering job on an Elintseeker. Would be cool to see it on this Valk as I like the old box from the original.

Maybe it,s the lighting in this shot...but the weathering doesn,t look too excessive here...if only the mold was a light gun metal gray with the weathering ontop I,d find it hard to say no to that !!!!(maybe dreams can come true...I,ll have to apply the "SECRET" method,and make it happen) B))