What type of control system would you use?

kensei

What Style Of Controls?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. What Style Of Controls?

• TV
    • DYRL? (and other Macross series)

As the title says, what style of control do you like from the Macross series? I must say the I like the DYRL? style, you don't have to take your hands off anything durnig combat, everything is at your hands. TV version sucks how you have to change controls when you change to GERWALK and Battroid mode. DYRL? control system is way more efficient IMO.

DYRL? Has also influenced how I play my Mechwarrior games as well, I have a corner desk and I put the keyboard all the way to the left so that I can only access the numpad comfortably and operate the mouse with the right. Everything I need is at my fingertips. I must say it is a lot easier.

Edited by kensei

I prefer the DYRL style for pure aesthetics alone, and in some ways it seems to make more sense.

Both of them have their downfalls....

With the TV style, the precious seconds it takes you to reach out and throw that lever could be just enough time for that Regult to lock on to your ass. Plus, with the TV style, you would have both hands on the stick, and have to remove one to reach out etc, costing additional time having to replace your hands on the stick etc.

DYRL style seems very straightforward, Throttle on the left, Control on the right, etc. However, the DYRL style, which seems much more ergonomic, and natural, could also be problematic. What if you hit turbulence, and inadvertently rotate that right control stick with a bump of your wrist, and before you know it, you're in the wrong mode, and getting shot.

It seems almost as though the TV style was designed with the less experienced pilot in mind, and the DYRL style designed with the expert pilot in mind.

But in all, the DRYL style just looks cool, so I voted for that one.

Definately the DYRL control scheme. You never have to look at the controls since your hands are always on them. It's like messing with your car stereo. Studies have shown that is a huge cause of accidents if not the greatest cause. Take your eyes off the action even for just a second, and you lose situational awarenes.

It also looks a lot more comfortable. That is the stick layout that F-16's use today.

Brain Control system of the YF-21, it may have some pitfalls but in the hand of an expert it gives far more ability to control a fighter than any other system. you just have to think of what you want and it happens, exactly as you want it. You can't get that from any other conventional system.

I prefer the DYRL style for pure aesthetics alone, and in some ways it seems to make more sense.

With the TV style, the precious seconds it takes you to reach out and throw that lever could be just enough time for that Regult to lock on to your ass. Plus, with the TV style, you would have both hands on the stick, and have to remove one to reach out etc, costing additional time having to replace your hands on the stick etc.

DYRL style seems very straightforward, Throttle on the left, Control on the right, etc. However, the DYRL style, which seems much more ergonomic, and natural, could also be problematic. What if you hit turbulence, and inadvertently rotate that right control stick with a bump of your wrist, and before you know it, you're in the wrong mode, and getting shot.

It seems almost as though the TV style was designed with the less experienced pilot in mind, and the DYRL style designed with the expert pilot in mind.

You flick the left throttle to go to GERWALK mode or to brake, but how do you get to battroid mode? What are the control commands? Curious to know.

You got a valid point in the accidental jostling of the stick there and transforming to the wrong mode Mechamaniac. Didn't think of that.

PS I didn't put the BCS of the YF-21 in because I'm thinking real world here so far, not just Macross Plus, I don't think that Neuroinformatics has gotten to a point where we can develop that sort of tech yet, not for a hundred years. :D

You flick the left throttle to go to GERWALK mode or to brake, but how do you get to battroid mode? What are the control commands? Curious to know.

In DYRL configuration, you rotate the right hand control up about 45 degrees to go to GERWALK, and then flick it up further, or pull back or something to go to Battroid.

I don't know for sure, but from what I've seen from Macross Zero, once you go to battroid or gerwalk, throttle is controlled by the pedals instead of the throttle stick.

This is a no brainer fellas...

DYRL Setup. I want to manually transform in .2 seconds.

Skill baby, skillll.

-BEN-MAN-

Chek a car with an automatic transmission.

There's a lock button to prevent accidentally jostling it out of position.

I would assume that VFs have a similar locking mechanism.

bah no luv for the giant 3 levels on the dash with single letters on them. The Big stick marked G compells you to vote tv series style.

Hikaru's complaints about the sheer # of controls present in the VF-1D makes me lean towards the streamlined DYRL setup automatically.

DYRL? no question. Using the throttle lever for transformation is way more effecient than taking your hand off the throttle and pulling down a little letter to transfrom. Plus, the stick isn't between your legs, something about sterility with the stick inbetween your legs. :lol:

DYRL is a movie and uses upgraded VF-1X Valkyries as stand ins for the out of service original A, J and S.

Original had the center stick and glass HUD right ?

The F-16 had a sidestick because the pilot is seating on a more reclined ejection seat than those of previos fighters. This is suppose to allow them to sustain more Gs although i see no real purpose for this in macross except for the cool factor i guess.

Yes. Who cares about VF-1Xes being stand ins? Remember, DYRL? is both mainstream Macross and a movie within the mainstream Macross universe. Your argument about the Valkyries being VF-1Xes would only work for the movie within the series part. So your statement is moot just as JBO said.

PS I didn't put the BCS of the YF-21 in because I'm thinking real world here so far, not just Macross Plus, I don't think that Neuroinformatics has gotten to a point where we can develop that sort of tech yet, not for a hundred years.  :D

you mean not for a hundred years as in two weeks ago???

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3186850.stm

Hey! Cool article. Must be really keepin up wit tech aren't ya? Still, while as cool as it is, I would still vote for the DYRL? control scheme. BCS is for couch potatoes! ^_^

DYRL style seems very straightforward, Throttle on the left, Control on the right, etc.  However, the DYRL style, which seems much more ergonomic, and natural, could also be problematic.  What if you hit turbulence, and inadvertently rotate that right control stick with a bump of your wrist, and before you know it, you're in the wrong mode, and getting shot.

I remember now....thats the audible click you hear whenever someone flicks the left throttle stick up isn't it?

Edited by kensei

Yes. Similar to a car's stick, automatic transmission. You press a button to make it move and you see that in DYRL? when Hikaru hastily switches to Gerwalk mode in the first combat scene. The VF-0s didn't incorporate that I think because when Shin is training he just snaps it straight up to switch to Battroid mode to try and stop Roy from whopping his ass.

Yes. Who cares about VF-1Xes being stand ins? Remember, DYRL? is both mainstream Macross and a movie within the mainstream Macross universe. Your argument about the Valkyries being VF-1Xes would only work for the movie within the series part. So your statement is moot just as JBO said.

No..its quite relevant actually for comparison purposes. Or you can even say its the block 6 or later machines.

the DYRL style controls is more of evolution of the original design.

http://www.anime.net/macross/mecha/united_...s/variable/vf1/

dyrl control type...seems so flawless to transform rather to reach over and pull the B, G, AND F lever

Exactly. You'd definitely lose precious milliseconds with the TV style controls......I'm voting for the DYRL style too. B))

This poll is going the way I thought it would. Except from the last time I checked the TV control vote has been rising a bit, I really thought that no one would choose it. I thought that having 57 different controls in the cockpit would be enough of a deterrent for choosing it. So far, I have yet to see anyone come up with a good argument for using the TV controls. Even the HUD in DYRL? looks better then the TV one.

Yeah. It looks like that to me too. The HUD is on the canopy and you see that in Macross Plus too, only in the YF-19 I think because in the VF-11B of the original four parts it looks like the helmets were the HUD ala AH-64 Apache helicopter-style. Just look at something and let fly with the missiles. B))

Yes.  Who cares about VF-1Xes being stand ins?  Remember, DYRL? is both mainstream Macross and a movie within the mainstream Macross universe.  Your argument about the Valkyries being VF-1Xes would only work for the movie within the series part.  So your statement is moot just as JBO said.

No..its quite relevant actually for comparison purposes. Or you can even say its the block 6 or later machines.

the DYRL style controls is more of evolution of the original design.

http://www.anime.net/macross/mecha/united_...s/variable/vf1/

Not really.

The question has nothing to do with chronology, canon-ity, or anything else.

It's just which you like better.

I can like one corvette better than another without knowing what year it is.

Hell, I can like a corvette better than a mustang without knowing which is which.

It REALLY doesn't matter which came first.

DYRL style seems very straightforward, Throttle on the left, Control on the right, etc.  However, the DYRL style, which seems much more ergonomic, and natural, could also be problematic.  What if you hit turbulence, and inadvertently rotate that right control stick with a bump of your wrist, and before you know it, you're in the wrong mode, and getting shot.

AT? Why would we want to do that? :) Stick-shift all the way...

Anyway, I'd definately take DYRL-style any day.

I already thought out how all 3 modes *could* be controlled quite well with a changing HOTAS.

Definitely DYRL style. No need to remove your hands from the controls at all, plus the more efficient wide angle holographic HUD displayed on the canopy.

With TV controls, not only do you have the throttle and transformation levers seperate from the main joiystick, but also when transforming to battroid or Gerwalk, you have to let go of the central fighter mode joystick and grab the seperate left and right arm controls.

Graham