Macross Books

Penguin

8 hours ago, jvmacross said:

Are you referring to this one?

If so...that is one that may be new...there are still some other books, booklets, DVD/BD exclusive books, that I have not looked through...but it does not look like something I have seen before....

Yes I was. Thanks for your thoughts. 

And Shawn and Seto, thanks also. 

Everyone here loves the challenge of searching for something there is just so much material spread out over so many books and magazines.
Seto has said they've seen it before, so now I'm really curious where, and what else was in the proximity of the piece.

I'm about ready to get one of these and just scan EVERYTHING I have. There is just too much physical stuff, I'm out of room 😛

image.png.9a6653c907abeba1e0add2975e0c5727.png

Nice. So it seems this drawing was never published during the '80s. 

It intrigues me. It's apparently self propelled artillery that never appears in the show. The APC nearby looks like a basic take off an M113 whereas the final APC design is quite a bit different. So I'm guessing this was an early concept sketch that was scrapped. The similarities to the Lancer II design is interesting too, with the large radar boom on top and twin canons. I'd originally thought it was supposed to be a repurposed Lancer II (this would fit with the theme of improvisation, attaching carriers to the SDF-1, after the space fold) or a launcher for it.

It's great that all this material was apparently kept. A lot of shows had a different philosophy to preservation then, ie: none. 

Edited by Space Casual Life

4 hours ago, Shawn said:

ahhhh HA!

image.png.044d5987ad981d8180edc155e89c1e95.png

found in
image.png.e292dbcc9667ddd878952a2d0c6a1530.png

Hey, I was on the right trak with the furoku idea...lol

The "Document of Macross" booklets are among the best furokus ever made...

Funny, I actually posted the same pic on MW back on April 11th, 2020.....no one said a word about that image back then...:lol:

https://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/topic/29133-macross-books/?do=findComment&comment=1519174

large.2137276708_DocumentofMacross0034.j

I wouldn't be surprised if other "never before published" pics from this recent book are also found within those booklets....:rolleyes:

Edited by jvmacross

Got mine today! It definitely has little bits of new, or rarely pre-published art, but if I had a single complaint, the pics are so small!!!!
Google Translate/Lens is doing a good job on it being readable. :)

image.png.bca6310f30409ab233fc6cda77de9ece.png

The books were ordered together with other items.  The other items were shipped separately in a box.  It would have been nice if they shipped everything together in a box.

My 2 came in a big paper bag. They were in better shape than the big empty box with no padding with the tenjin books.

I thought I had learned from the last amazon jp shipping incident but apparently not

2 hours ago, claude grant said:

Is this a reissue of the original book with a different cover, or a new volume?

image.png.a306590e27b021b015e035b10746eff1.png

There are 2 books...the one in your pic is the "Shoji Kawamori" version which is more about his process in creating the valkyries

The other "Designer's Note" is a big reference book covering most of the VF lineart for the Kawamori's "final" versions

24 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

There are 2 books...the one in your pic is the "Shoji Kawamori" version which is more about his process in creating the valkyries

The other "Designer's Note" is a big reference book covering most of the VF lineart for the Kawamori's "final" versions

Thanks so much for that clarification jvmacross.

I always used to prefer going into Sydney Kinokuniya to get books but lately their prices have not reflected the fall in yen value, they actually seem to be increasing quite a bit. Sure rent and wage inflation in Australia is a thing too but anyway. 

I remember going to Sydney Kinokuniya in the '90s when it was in the Japanese expat haven in North Sydney of Neutral Bay. Also Japan Book Plaza in the CBD was a must hit spot. There were other places too in the Rocks, including Japanese convenience stores with video and CD rental.. It was towards the end of a time when a lot of Sydney signage was dual langauge in Japanese. There was a huge amount of cashed up Japanese tourists then. People still thought Japan was going to take over the world too haha. 

So in 2024, I used Amazon Japan and got the Macross 40th book and Dougram 40th 4 days shipped to Australia. Big thick envelope and the books just plainly stacked inside that. My favourite book shipping experience is the books shrink wrapped to the base of an actual box. Anyway, there was minimum damage from stacking in an envelope, just a few minor wear marks on edges. I don't really care these days about minor stuff like that, I never plan to sell anything I buy and I'm resolving to not baby stuff as much as I have through my collecting life. I want to enjoy these and any damage that doesn't ruin reading them or isn't significant I'm trying to not let bother me. I want to have more pride of ownership - a well used book by the original owner is great - it has pride of ownership. A similar approach that I've always taken to clothes - Perfect clothes or shoes are so uncool - broken in stuff is much cooler. 

Aaanyway. despite the mediocre imo cover, strange left to right presentation (Not that I own much outside of the Macross franchise but can anyone think of another Japanese art book that presents LEFT to RIGHT? Huh?) and poor spine presence (next to Perfect Memory and Gold Book or anything released in the '80s or '90s it looks so pathetic and boring) the Macross Book is really cool. With my limited Japanese it comprehenvisly walks you through some really cool details and (only read SDFMTV section so far) using a wide range of art (even if tiny at times). It of coures has some of that previously discussed  possibly unseen or rarely een art in it too. If I was a young guy into SDFM who couldn't afford PM or GB this would be a really cool guide. 

The Macross and Dougram books are similarly priced but Office J.B. have put out their Dougram book on heavier paper and with an nicer cover and presentation. Kodansha's presentation on the Macross book loses, although I love the '80s ness of the inside back of the dustcover, Minmei lineart on a windowpane pattern! So cool. Oh yeah the Dougram book is overall cooler but with much less to cover (?). All the kit box art is covered as well as lineart for all the equipment (including Federation small arms as I had hoped for my modelling aspirations). Also they talk about stuff like Dual Magazine. It's cool. 

Anyways I like my new books. Since I got them on Monday I've been reading through them each night with a glass of Hennessey and a good tape on in the background. Once I get my Dougram kits in I'll be using that book as reference a lot for my wargaming project with them. Hmm, if I get 1/72 Dougram on the table I might look at building my stack of 1/72 Macross destroids too and doing a Destroid only game. Transforming Valkyries and simulatneous air/ground or large scale space combat is pretty hard to game in 1/72 without 3 models for each Valk and about a football field playing area..

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the update!
All our poor Yamatos being used for some crazy impressive customization projects, lol. Love these mags, with these really out-there cross universe variants.
Its like the Macross Hobby Handbook with toys instead of Imai and Arii kits.

Wonder if in 20 years there will be a line of DX custom with the same wild customization twists...but it will probably just be AI generated at that point.

14 hours ago, Shawn said:

Thanks for the update!
All our poor Yamatos being used for some crazy impressive customization projects, lol. Love these mags, with these really out-there cross universe variants.
Its like the Macross Hobby Handbook with toys instead of Imai and Arii kits.

Wonder if in 20 years there will be a line of DX custom with the same wild customization twists...but it will probably just be AI generated at that point.

I'm not really feeling the SV-51-Griffon mash-up, but I'm just amazed the VF-1 design is so versatile to lend itself to be crossed up with so many other sci-fi robots, and they look pretty good too. At end of day, despite many favorite VFs in Macross universe, the VF-1 is the one that does everything well - aesthetically in all 3 modes, the simplicity for toy playability & model engineering, and now the design mash-ups lol.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a few of these books, but may be looking at getting some more of them. I like that they have the crossover work showing really detailed images. I have the Patlabor crossover enroute now, but here's the ones I have...

FAN3.jpg.8832a1e735d0f3451c3c52e3ce1fddd3.jpg

FAN4.jpg.f8032138d9626d5f9f2990e4312c0f46.jpg

FAN7.jpg.82783239828bb7e19eebae5ac1a9f60b.jpg

5 hours ago, Jasonc said:

I have a few of these books, but may be looking at getting some more of them. I like that they have the crossover work showing really detailed images. I have the Patlabor crossover enroute now, but here's the ones I have...

FAN3.jpg.8832a1e735d0f3451c3c52e3ce1fddd3.jpg

FAN4.jpg.f8032138d9626d5f9f2990e4312c0f46.jpg

FAN7.jpg.82783239828bb7e19eebae5ac1a9f60b.jpg

Shipping now?  Thought it wasn't supposed to release until the Summer or May at the earliest?

You should have no issues getting the rest of them....These are all easily available via YJA, Mandarake and several doujin book sites...

21 minutes ago, sh9000 said:

Great Mechanics G Spring 2024.

While it's great that this magazine is recently featuring Macross, Mospeada, etc. again, it's also disheartening reading the headlines: "Macross 7: Listen to my song for the first time in 30 years!", or Great Mechanics G Winter 2023's "40th Anniversary of the broadcast of Mospeada".  Not reminding the readership of their age would be better, no? 😭

Edited by sketchley