The MW Automotive Thread Quattro SpecV

areaseven

Ooooh!

<<<<<<<<<

Chevrolet plans to unveil rear-drive police car

Rick Kranz, Automotive News

October 2, 2009 - 2:02 pm ET

Chevrolet plans to announce Monday that it will offer a rear-drive police car that appears likely to be based on the Pontiac G8 sedan.

Chevrolet will outline the strategy at the International Association of Chiefs of Police convention in Denver, the division said in an e-mail today.

In an interview with an Australian newspaper last month, General Motors Co. CEO Fritz Henderson said the automaker is working on a car for U.S. police agencies, using a rear-drive sedan developed by Holden, GM's Australian subsidiary. Holden developed and assembled the Pontiac G8 and developed the new Chevrolet Camaro.

“We've been working on a package for (U.S.) police applications. I think that's going to work,” Henderson told The Sydney Morning Herald. “We're pretty optimistic about it.” His comments were posted on the leftlanenews.com Web site.

Chevrolet spokesman Brian Goebel declined to say today if the car would be based on the G8. GM plans to drop the Pontiac brand in 2010, making the 2009 model year the last for the car.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

If it's the G8, and it's not available to the pubic, I'll be so ticked.

GM has to sell to Gov entities because consumers reject them. Just another accolade of 'fukin lame.'

I wouldnt go that far. The G8 was well liked by those in the know. Holden never forgot how to make better cars, its a shame GM US didnt work closer with Holden in the 90's. The real game killer for GM has had in the last thirty years was its marketing corps, they couldnt have promoted ice water to people in hades.

A Toyota 370z

Definitely. Looking at the side silhouette, my brain instantly said "oh hey, Nissan", though the side profile looks to me more like they wanted to imitate the GTR than the Z (Apples and only-vaguely-different-apples, I know).

I like the wheels, though. They look like they should be able to pop out spinning blades, Bond-car style.

And now, presenting Toyota's new RWD sports concept. A result of a joint venture between Toyota and Subaru, the FT-86 Concept is touted to be the true successor to the Sprinter (Corolla) AE86. Under the hood is a Subaru 2.0 boxer-4. Whether or not Toyota will green-light production of this car is to be seen.

Hello!!! Im FT-86 and I wanna be a Z-car!!!!!

2009 Toyota FT-86 Concept

F*ck corolla's. stretch the hood, drop in a V6 and call it a supra for god sakes...

(on second thought, don't... go back to the drawing board and keep working till you've got something as sexy as a MkIII)

F*ck corolla's. stretch the hood, drop in a V6 and call it a supra for god sakes...

(on second thought, don't... go back to the drawing board and keep working till you've got something as sexy as a MkIII)

After working for Toyota for 15 years, Ive come to the conclusion that Toyota couldnt make a real performance car if thier lives depended on it. Theyre to busy fawning over themselves while offering cars that pretend to be sporty or luxury with techno-b.s. features on thier cars that are in a constant state of campaigns (what they call it when they catch a problem before your forced to do a recall). Thier new moto for Toyota should be "Toyota , when you really want to say Buick in Japanesse".

In other not so exciting automotive news, GM will be eliminating Saturn pretty soon... hooray! My current vehicle will thus become a "collector's item" soon and worth millions. Oh, to dream of all the Yammies I will be able to buy!

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight, you keep on counting that money your going to make. Your millions can set next to the millions that are building up in the value of my 02 WS-6 Trans Am....

Quite frankly, I see Saturns going the way of Daewoos in the U.S. - they'll cost less than a roll of Charmin. Hell, you could probably trade a Valiant comic (which also isn't worth a roll of Charmin) for a Saturn. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The only exception would be the Sky, which would most likely be sought-after in the years to come.

I don't know of any Saturn that there's not a zillion of, and is there a following for any of them? :)

There are Pinto and Yugo clubs, right? Hell, this may come as a shock, but there are also Aztek clubs. So it wouldn't surprise me if the plastic Saturns have a following.

And now for another WTF moment in automotive history. According to this article on Jalopnik.com, the Texas-based DeLorean Motor Company is considering the idea of using the now-discontinued Pontiac Solstice as the first car to carry the DeLorean badge in nearly three decades. If it happens, this will supposedly reopen the Wilmington, DE, plant and put hundreds of people back to work.

newdelorean-header.jpg

The New DeLorean?

And now for another WTF moment in automotive history. According to this article on Jalopnik.com, the Texas-based DeLorean Motor Company is considering the idea of using the now-discontinued Pontiac Solstice as the first car to carry the DeLorean badge in nearly three decades. If it happens, this will supposedly reopen the Wilmington, DE, plant and put hundreds of people back to work.

The New DeLorean?

That would be great! The Solstice is a great platform.

That would be great! The Solstice is a great platform.

No it isn't.

Its heavy. And to this point weak. Also ugly IMO. Also NOTHING in common with the previous Delorean. The Delorean was a mid-engine entry level-supercar. The Solstice is a front engine economy roadster. Its insulting to see the DMC logo on that car in the concept pictures.

Actually, my Oldsmobile comment was more for the 90s and early 00 models, which I probably should have been more clear on.

To be honest, ninety-nine percent of all cars in the last twenty to thirty years arent all that desireable. I'm no more likely to get a ten year old Camry than I am a ten year old Alero.

No it isn't.

Its heavy. And to this point weak. Also ugly IMO. Also NOTHING in common with the previous Delorean. The Delorean was a mid-engine entry level-supercar. The Solstice is a front engine economy roadster. Its insulting to see the DMC logo on that car in the concept pictures.

Thats your opinion, and your allowed to it.

Yes, its heavier than a Miata. The Solstice/Sky/Opel GT also offered a 260 horse 2.0 liter turbo that more than makes up for that weight difference to the Miata (its target competitor). There also is a factory add-on to boost the engine to over 300 horse packeage as well. It offered a viable option to those who dont want to cough up $40k-plus for a sporty roadster. By the way, the Miata has been a very successful roadster and it is front engine as well. Not everyone can (or wants to) buy a Lotus Elise/Exige or a Porsche Boxster/Cayman.

A new Delorean product doesnt have to be along the same lines as the old ones. Honestly, that might make it more apt to be a success. As far as the original Delorean being an entry level super-car, did you loose your mind? Even in the low powered days of the early eighties, that weak 130 horsepower v-6 certainly made it a disqualifier.

Thats your opinion, and your allowed to it.

Yes, its heavier than a Miata. The Solstice/Sky/Opel GT also offered a 260 horse 2.0 liter turbo that more than makes up for that weight difference to the Miata (its target competitor). There also is a factory add-on to boost the engine to over 300 horse packeage as well. It offered a viable option to those who dont want to cough up $40k-plus for a sporty roadster. By the way, the Miata has been a very successful roadster and it is front engine as well. Not everyone can (or wants to) buy a Lotus Elise/Exige or a Porsche Boxster/Cayman.

A new Delorean product doesnt have to be along the same lines as the old ones. Honestly, that might make it more apt to be a success. As far as the original Delorean being an entry level super-car, did you loose your mind? Even in the low powered days of the early eighties, that weak 130 horsepower v-6 certainly made it a disqualifier.

Yes, IIRC DMC's failure was due to more than just J. DeLorean's risky--er--investment practices; namely, quality issues, higher than estimated purchase cost, and the lackluster performance of the Renault powerplant.

Didn't some guy buy up the remaining inventory/NOS parts stock from DMC? AFAIK, he's using it to restore DeLoreans, and even build "new" ones?

The Saturn Sky might even end up [more] "collectible" some day, as they certainly seem rarer than the Pontiac ver?

*but yes, that concept sketch is kinda fugly...DMC would be better served to try to design as much "from scratch" as possible, as opposed to just modifying an existing car.

Edited by reddsun1