The MW Automotive Thread Quattro SpecV

areaseven

Here's a quick question:

Why do cars' primer rarely match the paint, when it could? Based on both large rock chips and peeling paint, I see many white cars that have black or even red primer IIRC, black and red cars with yellow, etc. Why not use the white with white, red with red, and black with black? Chips wouldn't show up nearly as much. My car is pretty dark, but has a pale grey primer---even tiny little chips are pretty obvious. (I was touching up rock chips tonight---I've had my last "road trip" for the summer)

The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety celebrated their 50th anniversary with - what else? - a car crash. The IIHS filmed a head-on collision between a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu and a 1959 Chevrolet Bel Air, just to show how much safety features have progressed over the past 50 years.

IIHS Offset Crash - 2009 Chevrolet Malibu vs. 1959 Chevrolet Bel Air

You have to wonder what the endgame profit margin (after production, warranty and customer satisfaction issues) might be on these kind of cars . It cant be all that high.

I read somewhere that it can be very high, but it's either feast or famine. You have to imagine how much investment capital is needed for this type of business venture. Then you have to factor in time, research and development, production costs, manufacture relationships, the whole nine yards, which is far from cheap. So either you succeed greatly, or completely fail, i don't think there's an in between. If you ever see the people who start up these type of business' it's usually rich people or really intelligent people with rich friends, it's pretty rare you see your run of the mill hard working fellow with a good idea start an exotic super car business.

The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety celebrated their 50th anniversary with - what else? - a car crash. The IIHS filmed a head-on collision between a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu and a 1959 Chevrolet Bel Air, just to show how much safety features have progressed over the past 50 years.

IIHS Offset Crash - 2009 Chevrolet Malibu vs. 1959 Chevrolet Bel Air

But. GM still just doesn't get it. Now maybe, if they could build the '59--or better yet, the 'shoebox' '55-'57 ver--Bel Air body, but with the safety features/structural integrity of a modern car, then maybe more people would want to buy their cars. [i know, that's blissfully naive. the generation that appreciated/demanded those cars is aging, no longer as viable a market to justify actually mass producing retro-inspired cars, based on 50+ yr old designs--just being facetious]

As long as they continue to build cars with *bleh* exterior styling, shi**y ergonomics, and cheap feeling/looking interior materials; then they'll likely continue needing Uncle Sam to hold their hand and keep them from sinking further into financial ruin...

But hey. At this point, they could almost say: "fu*k it, let's try it." Couldn't do much worse than they already have. They'll likely get bailed out whether we want it to happen or not, anyway.

Edited by reddsun1

Anybody want to call bullsh!t on this?

I would hardly call that "Destroying" the F1. It's simply a question of horsepower, really. When you've got a 270+ odd HP advantage, that's doggone hard to overcome--particularly at higher speeds, where aerodynamic drag increases exponentially as a function of speed, and the need for HP to overcome it increases in kind.

Meh, give me the F1 8 days of the week. The Veyron is an aesthetic vulgarity---looks like a dung beetle, with wheels. <_<

Quite a testament to the F1, really. Unless you take them to a place with vast expanses of straight, perfectly smooth highway--like Abu Dhabi? the high deserts of CA? etc--that 17+ year old McLaren will hand the Bugatti it's a$$. B))

*edit* that video is actually an excellent real-world demonstration of the principles of aerodynamic drag as related to speed, and power to weight ratios' affect on acceleration.

Now you know!

And knowing's half the battle!

gi-joe-cartoon-psa.jpg

Yo, Joe!!

Edited by reddsun1

But. GM still just doesn't get it. Now maybe, if they could build the '59--or better yet, the 'shoebox' '55-'57 ver--Bel Air body, but with the safety features/structural integrity of a modern car, then maybe more people would want to buy their cars. [i know, that's blissfully naive. the generation that appreciated/demanded those cars is aging, no longer as viable a market to justify actually mass producing retro-inspired cars, based on 50+ yr old designs--just being facetious]

As long as they continue to build cars with *bleh* exterior styling, shi**y ergonomics, and cheap feeling/looking interior materials; then they'll likely continue needing Uncle Sam to hold their hand and keep them from sinking further into financial ruin...

But hey. At this point, they could almost say: "fu*k it, let's try it." Couldn't do much worse than they already have. They'll likely get bailed out whether we want it to happen or not, anyway.

Before they can be ready to do that , they need to show some progress. If they can shave 200 pounds off the Camaro and tune the suspenion better for a more confident handling feeling , then they should be able to go retro and make it worth it.

I would hardly call that "Destroying" the F1. It's simply a question of horsepower, really. When you've got a 270+ odd HP advantage, that's doggone hard to overcome--particularly at higher speeds, where aerodynamic drag increases exponentially as a function of speed, and the need for HP to overcome it increases in kind.

Meh, give me the F1 8 days of the week. The Veyron is an aesthetic vulgarity---looks like a dung beetle, with wheels. <_<

Quite a testament to the F1, really. Unless you take them to a place with vast expanses of straight, perfectly smooth highway--like Abu Dhabi? the high deserts of CA? etc--that 17+ year old McLaren will hand the Bugatti it's a$$. B))

*edit* that video is actually an excellent real-world demonstration of the principles of aerodynamic drag as related to speed, and power to weight ratios' affect on acceleration.

Now you know!

And knowing's half the battle!

Yo, Joe!!

Also , its where that power is, how much you can rev it, and what the gearing is. It looked to me like the F-1 was geared shorter and/or hit its rev peak sooner. You can have all the power to weight you want, but if your set up to max at the half mile mark and the other guy gives the gearing up to keep reving further down the road , once you overcome interia youll push through.

art_115_large.jpg

The accompanying quote for this pic read: "Ouch! The front didn`t look any better. Tom Papadopoulos has a great way of reasoning. He told me once:`No vintage race car cost you more that $100,000 to repair. Not if the car is worth 100,000 or 500,000 or 2 Million. So you might as well drive full on.` Right!"

I'd argue that in contrast, the other rear in the photo still looks to be in pretty darn good shape to me! ^_^

Edited by reddsun1

Here's a quick question:

Why do cars' primer rarely match the paint, when it could? Based on both large rock chips and peeling paint, I see many white cars that have black or even red primer IIRC, black and red cars with yellow, etc. Why not use the white with white, red with red, and black with black? Chips wouldn't show up nearly as much. My car is pretty dark, but has a pale grey primer---even tiny little chips are pretty obvious. (I was touching up rock chips tonight---I've had my last "road trip" for the summer)

I don't think anyone has answered this yet, but I BELIEVE it is so they can more easily ensure and detect thin or flawed areas in the paint application.

I don't think anyone has answered this yet, but I BELIEVE it is so they can more easily ensure and detect thin or flawed areas in the paint application.

The main consideration is cost. If a car has say twelve color options there would have to have a matching primer color for every color offered, that gets more expensive than just having one or two, it also would add a step in the production line on the side of priming. Most car companies use at least three coats of body color over the primer coat, thats more than enough to make the color "true" no matter the shade of primer. Another point is that some colors of primer make it easier to detect flaws in the body than others, this makes quality controll better (when I worked in a body shop, I couldve ordered tons of pigmented primers, my painters wanted to use a shade of grey because they could see flaws in the bodywork better. My painters could spend up to two days work painting a car and they didnt want to do that twice because of a flaw in a bodymans bodywork.). The final consideration is that the manufacturer isnt as concerned on the color of chipped paint, they dont warranty those sort of "defects". They sell touch up paint for that reason.

Now, I agree 100% with you on the aesthetics. Gimme the F1 anyday too. I really HATE how each successive generation of cars get bloated on dimensions and weight.

However, in some defence of the Veyron Porker, it has to comply with Euro 4 and current 'Crash' legislation. The F1 would be slightly 'crippled' too if it was to be sold as a new model in 2009.

Having said that. I DO wish they would use all these 2009 'Overtechnology' and do a McLaren F1a*

using the same light weight cost be damned philosophy.

*Because F2 just doesnt sound cool.

Zenvo - Danish super-car.

Hmm. Front end's a bit funky looking, but at least it's somewhat different. The air dam + hood ducts--until the return of Ford's GT--has been pretty much out of favor with designers for quite some time, hasn't it? Unless you count Picchio's sports racers. And boy, were they homely...

It's official: after failing to find any global automaker to supply them with cars, Penske Automotive has backed out of their deal to buy Saturn from GM. As a result, Saturn is dead.

R.I.P. Saturn

Its a shame. It couldve lead to a really good "American" company once they were able to design and build thier own cars.

To celebrate the Ford Mustang's 45th anniversary, Lee Iacocca, creator of the iconic car, has unveiled his limited-edition Mustang. This one, designated as No. 5, is one of 45 to be built. It's equipped with a supercharged 550 bhp V8. The special bodywork is handcrafted to completely evoke the classic fastback look. All units will be painted in a special silver color, dubbed "Iacocca Silver."

No. 5 will be on the auction block at the prestigious Barrett-Jackson Auction in Las Vegas, NV, while the other 44 units will be sold exclusively at Galpin Ford in North Hills, CA.

2009-Iacocca-Silver-45th-Anniversary-Ford-Mustang-Front-Angle-1600x1200.jpg

2009-Iacocca-Silver-45th-Anniversary-Ford-Mustang-Rear-Angle-1600x1200.jpg

2009 Iacocca Silver 45th Anniversary Ford Mustang

To celebrate the Ford Mustang's 45th anniversary, Lee Iacocca, creator of the iconic car, has unveiled his limited-edition Mustang. This one, designated as No. 5, is one of 45 to be built. It's equipped with a supercharged 550 bhp V8. The special bodywork is handcrafted to completely evoke the classic fastback look. All units will be painted in a special silver color, dubbed "Iacocca Silver."

No. 5 will be on the auction block at the prestigious Barrett-Jackson Auction in Las Vegas, NV, while the other 44 units will be sold exclusively at Galpin Ford in North Hills, CA.

2009 Iacocca Silver 45th Anniversary Ford Mustang

It doesnt look all that great. Why should we be buying it over a GT500???

Ooooh!

<<<<<<<<<

Chevrolet plans to unveil rear-drive police car

Rick Kranz, Automotive News

October 2, 2009 - 2:02 pm ET

Chevrolet plans to announce Monday that it will offer a rear-drive police car that appears likely to be based on the Pontiac G8 sedan.

Chevrolet will outline the strategy at the International Association of Chiefs of Police convention in Denver, the division said in an e-mail today.

In an interview with an Australian newspaper last month, General Motors Co. CEO Fritz Henderson said the automaker is working on a car for U.S. police agencies, using a rear-drive sedan developed by Holden, GM's Australian subsidiary. Holden developed and assembled the Pontiac G8 and developed the new Chevrolet Camaro.

“We've been working on a package for (U.S.) police applications. I think that's going to work,” Henderson told The Sydney Morning Herald. “We're pretty optimistic about it.” His comments were posted on the leftlanenews.com Web site.

Chevrolet spokesman Brian Goebel declined to say today if the car would be based on the G8. GM plans to drop the Pontiac brand in 2010, making the 2009 model year the last for the car.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

If it's the G8, and it's not available to the pubic, I'll be so ticked.