The MW Automotive Thread Quattro SpecV

areaseven

You know I was just thinking about Ferraris. I forgot how much I loved the F-50 from over 10 years ago and, if I ever had the money and the lifestyle, blah blah blah, I would drive it every day. I've always loved how cars like the F-50 have a 4.7 liter, small displacement engine but have 12 cylinders and mega horsepower, lol...

Definitely better than the last, but I still haven't seen anything better than the 360 from them in years.

Funny, I see both GTOs as their best designs ever, then the dino and 308, then the 348. I would put MANY cars before the 360.

I agree with David, everything after the 360 has looked very "bleh", definitely not show stopping like some of the classics. I've always been a fan of Ferrari's older designs and Dante's list is pretty much what i'd go for with the addition of the 512's (bb/tr/m), 308 and 355. I'm not crazy about any of their modern FR designs, the 550/575 weren't bad but the 599 and up look like garbage. I hated the F50, i don't know how they went to that from the F40, if they went from the F40 to the Enzo then that makes a little more sense, but the F50 looks like crap to me. Also loved the P series cars.

So because it looks good, it automatically handles terribly? <_<

Oh, no--just an obscure little movie quote. The rest of the line goes: "...whats-a behind me, does not matter."

Seriously, that thing has blind spots from hell. Looks like it has practically NO rearward vision.

Must have a rearward facing camera system, to add to the techno-gadget factor?

Hear Hear! I concur: 250 GTO and California Spyder are still some of the best looking cars ever.

Don't forget the 312P. Even more sexy and muscular looking than the 330/412P--even if it does have a smaller engine.

3708049340_64d929ddb7.jpg

But I will concede: it does look a damn sight more cramped and less comfortable for the poor driver!

Edited by reddsun1

Yeah, but *recently*?

In the 80's Ferrari made clean beautiful cars, where Lambo had some beautiful lines, but they couldn't get out of their own way by messing it up with little ducts, and wings which ultimately made their cars look like a mess.

I feel that in the 90's the companies reversed roles and haven't switched back. Ferrari does not make pretty cars anymore in comparison to other super cars.

I took my Lotus in for service on Monday, parked between a few lambos and a newer Ferrari 599. I told the service manager that he could pluck the badges off of the Ferrari and tell people that it was the new Toyota Supra. He laughed and agreed.

I bought my Lotus because I get 90% of the supercar experience for less than 100 Grand , that being said, in all honesty I feel that my car looks better than any Ferrari made today. I would say today the most beautiful cars are Astons, then Lambos, then Lotus, then Ferrari.

I think people are mis-interpreting my comments.

I'm not saying the F360 is anything notable. I am saying it is about the best they've done in the last 10 years, because most of the last 10 years has really sucked. The F458 is the first thing in the last 10 years that is comparable to the F360---still nothing noticeable, but at least they're finally getting a bit better than recent designs, and it doesn't flat-out suck. "Not sucking" is a compliment at this point, and better than the last few...

250, 308, etc is way outside the terms/era of my comments. It's like bringing up the '63 Vette when talking about C5 vs C6.

I think people are mis-interpreting my comments.

Oh no, I wouldn't go so far as that. These sorts of things are strictly subjective after all. For me, the old metal is simply more evocative. I've not liked much of the newer designs, save the 550/575 Maranello and F360. Didn't warm up much to the F430 though--the hard-edged cues of the ducting and the front fascia just clashed with the overall lines/shape of the car to me. Just give me a well-tuned 360, thanks. ^_^

I don't care how much performance and whiz-bang technology you put into a car; sometimes it can't make up for ugly. The Enzo is--and always has been--a bit of a brute to me. And just when you thought you couldn't make it any uglier--then came the P4/P5. Once you get over the initial "wow" reaction, and really study it, it's kinda homely.

pi2006ferrarip4p521911756.jpg

It's just that it shares some of the very same design cues that I never liked about the F430. Like it's trying to be both curvaceous-and-sinewy, AND hard-and-angular at the same time. Make up your mind, dammit!

P.S. don't know why, but it's like the shade and shapes of it in that pic for some odd reason makes me think "Gundam model," danged if I know why...lol. Ferrari "Char Aznable Edition"

Edited by reddsun1

Oh no, I wouldn't go so far as that. These sorts of things are strictly subjective after all. For me, the old metal is simply more evocative. I've not liked much of the newer designs, save the 550/575 Maranello and F360. Didn't warm up much to the F430 though--the hard-edged cues of the ducting and the front fascia just clashed with the overall lines/shape of the car to me. Just give me a well-tuned 360, thanks. ^_^

I don't care how much performance and whiz-bang technology you put into a car; sometimes it can't make up for ugly. The Enzo is--and always has been--a bit of a brute to me. And just when you thought you couldn't make it any uglier--then came the P4/P5. Once you get over the initial "wow" reaction, and really study it, it's kinda homely.

pi2006ferrarip4p521911756.jpg

It's just that it shares some of the very same design cues that I never liked about the F430. Like it's trying to be both curvaceous-and-sinewy, AND hard-and-angular at the same time. Make up your mind, dammit!

P.S. don't know why, but it's like the shade and shapes of it in that pic for some odd reason makes me think "Gundam model," danged if I know why...lol. Ferrari "Char Aznable Edition"

i looked aight in the first link but it looks ugly irl.

I like the way Ferrari's look today and I agree the California is probably the best looking one out today, big butt and all. But I can't think you can compare Ferrari's from 25 years ago to todays, those classics were lean looking and to me always looked like they were 9/10th's the size there were suppose to be. While todays are certainly "bulkier" they do have to have all the safety and crash worthiness built into them. But I agree at a certain point in Ferrari design history style took a bit of a backseat to aerodynamics and what necessarily is good for the wind isn't always good for the eyes, plus Ferrari has always had the racing and F1 connection and while racing does breed better performing cars it does not necessarily breeds better looking ones. The new F430 replacement is a perfect example, it's probably technically superior to the the F430 but I don't really think it's better looking. But what looks good is very subjective, the F-22 Raptor is a technically superior fighter jet to the F-14 but in my eyes the F-14 is way sexier.

I knew that Ferrari reminded me of another car and here it is. I wonder if Hardcastle and McCormic will return to tv like Knight Rider did :lol:

Edited to keep the natives happy :D

post-5693-1249050424_thumb.jpg

Edited by chen

For those who want an Aston Martin V8 Vantage close to race-spec, here you go. Built by Exotica Motorsports, the Elite LMV/R has majority of its aluminum body panels replaced with carbon fiber. The package also includes matte black 20" alloy wheels, a stiffer suspension, Alcantara interior and lots more carbon fiber in the interior and engine bay. Only 30 will be made at an estimated price of $173,000 (not including the price of a stock V8 Vantage).

2010-Aston-Martin-Elite-LMV-R-Front-And-Side-1280x960.jpg

2010-Aston-Martin-Elite-LMV-R-Rear-And-Side-1280x960.jpg

2010 Aston Martin Elite LMV/R

Edited by areaseven

Well - I found my dream car - kind of :)

It's a Toyota Land Cruiser from the year 2000. Used, but in good condition. 10 thousand bucks. It's got a heck of a lot of miles (200 thousand Kilometers, which is like...um...I dunno... 130 thousand Miles? 150? Something like that?)... But it looks good, runs well and is projected to live for another 5 years (although for the price, I'll be happy if it lives for three years).

Now I just have to hope that some bank will give me the money as a loan, since I can only make a 20% downpayment on this thing...

we'll see.

Meanwhile, still waiting on my drivers license... Will probably not have it in the flesh for another couple of weeks... everything here works so slow :(

Oh well...

I felt like Homer Simpson when I saw the Land Crusier though, and in my heart I heard "CANYONARO! CANYONARO!"

Oh - and the CD player doesn't work - but that'll be like 50 bucks to replace/fix.

And it has air conditioning, four wheel drive and is BIG! :)

Pete

EDIT:

Here's a picture. The one I (hope) I'm getting is a two-door landcruiser for the European market - not a four door.

1428mmu.jpg

The one I'm getting is silver and doesn't have the tint thing in the window, nor the mirror...

But I'll probably customize it - I'd love to put "Call Monster Girl" on my doors :)

Or Minmei or something :)

arrr... I really hope I can get this thing :) Can't wait to drive all over the place :) Yay!

Edited by VFTF1

• 2 weeks later...
not real car but check this out.

Ehh. Ya know, that was actually when the show, er, nevermind.

(I was going to say that that redesign signified the downfall of the show, and go into alarming exposition in support of that theory, but on balance, the show was actually pretty silly to begin with. Bonny was hot though, I'll give it that)

Well - I found my dream car - kind of :)

It's a Toyota Land Cruiser from the year 2000. Used, but in good condition. 10 thousand bucks. It's got a heck of a lot of miles (200 thousand Kilometers, which is like...um...I dunno... 130 thousand Miles? 150? Something like that?)... But it looks good, runs well and is projected to live for another 5 years (although for the price, I'll be happy if it lives for three years).

Now I just have to hope that some bank will give me the money as a loan, since I can only make a 20% downpayment on this thing...

we'll see.

Meanwhile, still waiting on my drivers license... Will probably not have it in the flesh for another couple of weeks... everything here works so slow :(

Oh well...

I felt like Homer Simpson when I saw the Land Crusier though, and in my heart I heard "CANYONARO! CANYONARO!"

Oh - and the CD player doesn't work - but that'll be like 50 bucks to replace/fix.

And it has air conditioning, four wheel drive and is BIG! :)

Pete

EDIT:

Here's a picture. The one I (hope) I'm getting is a two-door landcruiser for the European market - not a four door.

1428mmu.jpg

The one I'm getting is silver and doesn't have the tint thing in the window, nor the mirror...

But I'll probably customize it - I'd love to put "Call Monster Girl" on my doors :)

Or Minmei or something :)

arrr... I really hope I can get this thing :) Can't wait to drive all over the place :) Yay!

awesome find. Although 10k for a 2000 with 200k...hmmm my Bro in law just got a 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport package with 139K for 9K

I guess things in Europe cost a lot. You just got your drivers license?????

Pete

What's neat is that the Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0L Turbo qualifies under the cash for clunkers bill, i'm not sure what your gas mileage is, but you could trade in your mustang + $5000 credit from the govt and pick up a Genesis, i know i would.

woohoo!

Oh wait I live in whiny Canada Dammit@!!!!

That Aston Martin is ruined...

The point of an aston is its understatedness, sort of like, "yeah I'm badass, but only I need to know that." The car blends in with other cars and its no big deal unless someone KNOWS cars.

When a tuner does the ruin this inherent nature.

Agreed. If you want to shout out to the world about your affluence, then Ferrari or Lambo's got you covered. Aston Martin's are just like the Bonds who drive them: completely and confidently aware of their power but being cool and almost indifferent about it...

Speaking of cars "borrow" styling cues, the Hennessey Venom GT Concept looks exactly like the Lotus Exige. Except bigger.

I wouldn't be surprised if it really is a modified Exige. After all, Lotus licenses its car designs to other companies such as Dodge (the Circuit EV, based on the Lotus Evora) and Rinspeed (the ridiculous sQuba, based on the Elise).

The "Aston Martin car configurator" is pretty neat. The number of interior options alone is mind boggling. They actually have a color called "Bitter Chocolate."

Yup, I feel I'm a DBS man, myself. Now if I could just decide on the exterior: Jet Black; Midnight Blue; or Meteorite Silver? Hmm; decisions, decisions... <_<