How to get motivated

Excillon

I'm worried I'm starting to lose interest in my model building. I've got a huge backlog of kits now, including a half finished VF-1J Battroid, and a half finished VF-0s battroid. I bought the Mac frontier models, hoping a good build, without painting (except the canopy and clear parts), putty, and all that crap would help me get motivated to finish all my Hasegawa's. It didn't work, I built both Frontier kits, and I still dread going to work on my Battroids. It seems like so much work just to do them anymore. It's been a long, long time since I've finished one, and I hope that maybe if I bring myself to finish one, it will re-spark my interest. I mean, it's gotten so bad I've considered going back to being a "toy boy", and I sold off most of my Yammies to get into models. Basically, any advice from anyone who's been here would be great.

group builds could help u motivate working on your models again....i always google up pix of finish Gunpla so i might get ideas at the same time get myself motivated!!! so far i still havent finish my 1st MG kit.....because im too busy with work......hehehehehe

I'm worried I'm starting to lose interest in my model building. I've got a huge backlog of kits now, including a half finished VF-1J Battroid, and a half finished VF-0s battroid. I bought the Mac frontier models, hoping a good build, without painting (except the canopy and clear parts), putty, and all that crap would help me get motivated to finish all my Hasegawa's. It didn't work, I built both Frontier kits, and I still dread going to work on my Battroids. It seems like so much work just to do them anymore. It's been a long, long time since I've finished one, and I hope that maybe if I bring myself to finish one, it will re-spark my interest. I mean, it's gotten so bad I've considered going back to being a "toy boy", and I sold off most of my Yammies to get into models. Basically, any advice from anyone who's been here would be great.

Hey Excillon, the best remedy is to take a break from doing models at all, I took along one before I started working on Models of any kind, since its been a while ( year or so) I enjoy making them again, Macross & Navy Aircraft kits. but if your trying too coax or mentally trick yourself into making them, you still won't enjoy it as much, basically its burn out from model making, we've all been there one way or another.... glue & putty and smudges oh my!!

Take a break my friend, the passion will return, it always does!! B))

Hey, if you're looking for encouragement, post some pics! That's half the reason guys here make a WIP thread :) To show their work but it's also great to get an attaboy to keep you motivated towards finishing and that awesome feeling when you know you're done and you can proudly display your piece on the shelf.

And remember, if every sportsperson that ran onto a field expected greatness right from the start, there'd be a LOT of disappointed and disillusioned players out there. You gotta take the wins as they come :)

Now post some pics! :p

Hey, if you're looking for encouragement, post some pics! That's half the reason guys here make a WIP thread :) To show their work but it's also great to get an attaboy to keep you motivated towards finishing and that awesome feeling when you know you're done and you can proudly display your piece on the shelf.

And remember, if every sportsperson that ran onto a field expected greatness right from the start, there'd be a LOT of disappointed and disillusioned players out there. You gotta take the wins as they come :)

Now post some pics! :p

It's not exactly getting started, I've built a few already, not to mention A LOT of Gundam stuff. It's just getting back off the ground. I think what happened was a while ago I started the IJ, and tried to do something different by building with only supplies that could be found at walmart (no airbrush, etc.) and it was coming along good, but it just got to be a lot more work like finding the right paint, supplies, etc. than I bargained for, and I just got burned out. Then I bought a half built vf-0s battroid that was built by someone who had NO clue about model building, and decided to try and save it. It also is coming along nice, but again, a lot more work than what I originally thought. Maybe you're right. I'll post some pics of the 0S soon, and hopefully that will get me back into the swing of things. That and I have the launch rail and booster waiting for me, but I won't build it until I finish these, as I'm trying to give myself incentive.

When I don't feel like finishing my models, I find a papercraft to work on, or watch the anime I'm making the model of.* Alternatively, go to your Legos and build something out of those. (This only works for Lego-owners.) Group builds can be fun. Even better is when a whole bunch of people get together to build the same model, each using their own technique. You can learn from that.

*Unless it's a real-world model, in which case, I can't really do that...

Nah, I'm the type that gets depressed going to ARC, as they're all far better than mine will ever be.

I like to stop for a LONG time when I get depressed modeling. And buy LEGOs. Really, LEGOs are great building fun. Already colored, no glue required, and they look "perfect" when you're done. You know they just brought back the Pirates theme, go buy the big new ship...

I stop and start all the time mostly due to having too many tings to do in life. My display is littered with nearly finished stuff that in most cases just needs a tiny thing done to finish it. add that to the 30 or so kits I have waiting not including the 20 or so that I just cant build due to the rarity factor. Add that to the Ive opened the box and taken some parts off the sprews thing that I do..... and you get the idea.

I just try not to think about it too much. go do something else and then come back when you feel ready. usually after seeing some ones builds here

Edited by big F

If you're getting frustrated, you're losing out on the fun somehow. I've learned to focus and build just one thing at a time. Not just becuase my ship is taking four years to build. My mind wonders onto too many things. I just bought tires and stuff to scratch build a DL-88 Catepillar; that will have to wait maybe a year now. Just prod a long one model at a time. Sounds like you're getting burned out - burned out is bad ^_^ Don't give up! - MT

Nah, I'm the type that gets depressed going to ARC, as they're all far better than mine will ever be.

I like to stop for a LONG time when I get depressed modeling. And buy LEGOs. Really, LEGOs are great building fun. Already colored, no glue required, and they look "perfect" when you're done. You know they just brought back the Pirates theme, go buy the big new ship...

That's funny,. I just bought the Megabloks RX-78-2 Gundam for 25 bucks on ebay (my steal of the year), and built it. I was really amazed by the articulation, quality, and the stand and little Amuro were just too damn cool. I'm thinking of selling it just because I don't have room to display it, it's too damn big!

I have found recently that I need to walk away from a building session wanting more. When I walk away becuase I have had enough it will be ages before I get back to it, but I walk away wanting more I'll be back in the shed the next day :)

When I'm not working I'm with my kids

When I'm not with my kids I'm at karate

When I'm not at karate I'm writing for fun or profit

When I'm not writing I'm illustrating

When I'm not illustrating I'm modeling.

Motivation is never a problem for me, but there are never enough hours in the day to achieve the things I want to do. Go and do something else, life's too precious to waste!

I've only built about 7 Gundam models (4 MG and 3 HG) - so I'm nowhere near as experienced as the people posting on this thread, but I'll give you my opinion anyways:

1) Don't sell your stuff off to buy other stuff. This devalues all of your items I think and help de-motivate you, because you don't have the feeling that you're making some thing that will last but rather something that you will sell

2) Once you stop selling some stuff to buy other stuff, you'll realize your budget is much smaller and hopefully think triple hard whether you really want to buy this model or that model and will you really want to finish it- and you will only get ones that you are motivated to do

3) Buy a new model set only once you've finished building your old ones. Try not to buy a ton of them at once because then it does end up feeling like a ton of work. If you just get one and focus on it before moving on, it will motivate you I think

At least this is what works for me thus far.

Pete

3) Buy a new model set only once you've finished building your old ones. Try not to buy a ton of them at once because then it does end up feeling like a ton of work. If you just get one and focus on it before moving on, it will motivate you I think

At least this is what works for me thus far.

Pete

+1000. When Gundam SEED was first released I was buying every single HG 1/144 kit that was coming out. I finally burnt out about halfway through SEED Destiny and now I have about 10 HG kits that I haven't even started-- those will probably end up in my spare parts/kitbash bin. The whole experience (along with other developments in life, like a girlfriend ^_^ ) turned me off model kits for about 2 years until my VF-25S kit, which was just too beautiful for me to ignore, which I just completed. So pace yourself, and only go for the kits that you really want!

P.S. This is assuming that you are satisfied with your own level of kitbuilding/painting etc. Otherwise, get some simple and cheap kits which you are fairly interested in to practice your skills first. Aircraft kits are a good first choice (and what I started with). I still build aircraft kits from time to time, most recently being a Typhoon which I did just to brush up a little before I started on my 25S.

I like to clean up my house, or work room, so that the only mess left is my sprawled out pile of half finished valk parts. This only works if the project isn't too big though.

I agree. I find a good hobby room cleanout can be a very big motivator. it frees up space and removes clutter from the area. his can help you see the next step needed. I find sometimes when i clean ill pull out a model i havent worked on in a while and finish it.

I usually have something to do, if it isn't work, gf or the family I have numerous ways to entertain myself and usually put modeling aside since it's something that eats a lot of my time when i get into it

but what I have found recently that motivates me is to somehow improve the kit by adding something or modding it in a way that will require me to learn new techniques/abilities with end results that are very pleasant since I achieved something I hadn't done before

and I always work one kit at a time until it's done

Edited by Valkyrie addict

Maybe its time to give yourself a new challenge. Try a different genre, like say Armor building. Or maybe you need to make a home for some of your finished Models. Lastly you also could just take a break for a few weeks.