Why no macross?

Mechinyun

Why is the SDF-1 such a non-produced item? Other than Wave's little guy we haven't had anything since the 80's. I mean heck, the macross is really one of the big focal points of the series. Anyone heard any rumblings of something in the works? It could be a uber item, both versions produced, lighted, maybe even a access panel to see a mini Macross city in the leg.

Why is the SDF-1 such a non-produced item? Other than Wave's little guy we haven't had anything since the 80's. I mean heck, the macross is really one of the big focal points of the series. Anyone heard any rumblings of something in the works? It could be a uber item, both versions produced, lighted, maybe even a access panel to see a mini Macross city in the leg.

lets all hope that bandai steps up to the plate and make us one since yamato wont be making a version.

bandai's been showing alot of macross love which rocks and getting me excited

I'm satisfied with my WAVE.

Here's why making a bigger scale Macross is pointless:

The transformation is way to simple. Companies would end up making a brick. The only way to make it "fun" is to make it at such a huge scale, that you could inclue - say 1/200 fighters, gerwalks and battroids as well as Destroids - that would be fun...but it wouldn't exactly stretch anyone's engineering/design brain.

The only fun thing - internal diaramas of cities etc would be pointless - better to just make them rather than tryign to "make them" in a model.

Basically - look at it from the point of view of a "tech" guy - the only way to make the Macross interesting, design wise, is to either make it small (like Wave) - where you can focus on trying to make it externally look right, OR making a relatively bigger one to be in scale with 1/200 pieces...

Either of these options is really limiting in terms of transformation tech and other design elements. Basically - it's so simple, no body wants to really do it.

that's what I think anyhow.

VFTF1

The SDF-1 isn't so attractive to toy makers because they can't re-use the tooling over and over again like they can with a Valkyrie (or to a lesser extent, the Q-Rau or some of the Destroids).

Most Macross toys are "Malibu Stacy with a new hat" - change the color of the main body, change the markings, and slap on a different head. Voila, now you have one more toy to sell.

I'm satisfied with my WAVE.

Here's why making a bigger scale Macross is pointless:

The transformation is way to simple. Companies would end up making a brick. The only way to make it "fun" is to make it at such a huge scale, that you could inclue - say 1/200 fighters, gerwalks and battroids as well as Destroids - that would be fun...but it wouldn't exactly stretch anyone's engineering/design brain.

The only fun thing - internal diaramas of cities etc would be pointless - better to just make them rather than tryign to "make them" in a model.

Basically - look at it from the point of view of a "tech" guy - the only way to make the Macross interesting, design wise, is to either make it small (like Wave) - where you can focus on trying to make it externally look right, OR making a relatively bigger one to be in scale with 1/200 pieces...

Either of these options is really limiting in terms of transformation tech and other design elements. Basically - it's so simple, no body wants to really do it.

that's what I think anyhow.

VFTF1

True or not, that's a pretty sorry excuse. That WAVE would only be better if it was a larger scale.

I'm sure there is something else that's stopping companies from making their version. There has to be. Just like the forum post says, it's the focal point of Macross. I think someone has the scale "rights" to make one, but they're just holding back (and they're taking their sweet ass time).

Heck, at this point, I'd even buy a fuggin Toynami.

I do want that Wave. But that gap between the legs ruins it for me. Small scale as well.

I was trying to convince the guy that made the 1/48 ThunderHammer to make me a Macross... kinda getting tired of waiting for these companies to step up.

Hey EXO, that would be interesting indeed. The 1/3000 scale takatokus were neat, what do you think of a 1/2000 version? That'd be close to 23.8" or 24" in length in battle cruiser mode. Shweeet!

I kind of want to see a figure of the NMC, either Battle Frontier or one of the others. Don't know what the scale would need to be though.

Hey EXO, that would be interesting indeed. The 1/3000 scale takatokus were neat, what do you think of a 1/2000 version? That'd be close to 23.8" or 24" in length in battle cruiser mode. Shweeet!

I was thinking closer to 1/1500, an extra 6". If I was gonna make one it would be frikken huge. But he problem is getting one made then they announce they're making one... I rather have a real plastic toy than resin. Cheaper and stronger. Plus I dont want to end up paying twice. It would be a nice project though.

I can't see why Yamato, Bandai, Hasegawa or any other takers (Minus Toynami of course) wouldn't take a swing at making a new version SDF-1 like the Original 1980's release!!?? There's definitely a profit to be made!! I have 2 of them and for the time when they were made and the technology available, they are still impressive, can you imagine how it would look now!!!

I agree that the WAVE 1/5000 is compact and detailed. But it still lacks a major punch in Size, its the SDF-1 it

should be big!! A 1/3000 or 1/2000 scale and reissued in both the TV series & DYRL versions!!!

I was trying to convince the guy that made the 1/48 ThunderHammer to make me a Macross... kinda getting tired of waiting for these companies to step up.

If the same guy who made the Thunder Hammer, makes a SDF-1 for you, Safe to safe you'll have the ultimate envy item in your collection. Sad to say it may be a while before anyone in Japan realizes we want a big SDF-1!!!

The SDF-1 isn't so attractive to toy makers because they can't re-use the tooling over and over again like they can with a Valkyrie (or to a lesser extent, the Q-Rau or some of the Destroids).

Most Macross toys are "Malibu Stacy with a new hat" - change the color of the main body, change the markings, and slap on a different head. Voila, now you have one more toy to sell.

""Malibu Stacy"" :huh: dude you have been watching way too many Simpson episodes.

Wave managed to squeeze 2 toys from their Macross mold and how many YF-19s have there been to date? How many Q-Raus? It's easy for the naysayers to say "nay" until they make it... then they transform into a different type of expert.

I remember the "Yamato won't make a new line of 1/60 VF-1s" and "no other company can do the Legioss/Tread". Make us a Macross, slap the price tag on there, do the repaint, do the exclusives... milk it!

I've always been a fan of starships and large battle cruisers etc. That's why I like Star Trek so much. I try to collect various starships and cruisers for Gundam as well. I wish they made toys of all the different Zentradi and UN Spacy ships. Battle Frontier and Macross Quarter would be nice. I really do hope Yamato makes a Macross. I like my WAVE, but I do wish it was bigger.

a lighted Macross would be nice :)