Why does Ranka always run everywhere?

DeeBot

Something that's puzzled me for a while... is it just me, or does Ranka almost never use public transportation? We see her use it once at the very beginning of the series, and from then on she's not only perpetually late (which just seems to be a character flaw of hers), but she's always running to get everywhere. This seems odd, especially in light of the fact that Frontier seems to have a perfectly well-developed public transportation system.

I was particularly struck by Sheryl's farewell concert, where Ranka's already exhausted, and then the camera pulls out to show many, many city blocks to go (what looks to be miles). Even Hikaru had his bicycle. Of course, Frontier's gravity is only, what, 75% of Earth's, so maybe it's a little less arduous, but still...

(Speaking of which... Ranka always seems to get tickets to see Sheryl perform. I wonder if Sheryl got tickets to Ranka's first live? Probably not, since she was still in the hospital, and she likely could have gotten them herself if she wanted them, and maybe Ranka would have felt presumptuous offering them... still, would've been a nice gesture. After all, everyone else managed to show up, for once. Maybe in a future episode?)

Edited by DeeBot

Something that's puzzled me for a while... is it just me, or does Ranka almost never use public transportation? We see her use it once at the very beginning of the series, and from then on she's not only perpetually late (which just seems to be a character flaw of hers), but she's always running to get everywhere. This seems odd, especially in light of the fact that Frontier seems to have a perfectly well-developed public transportation system.

I was particularly struck by Sheryl's farewell concert, where Ranka's already exhausted, and then the camera pulls out to show many, many city blocks to go (what looks to be miles). Even Hikaru had his bicycle. Of course, Frontier's gravity is only, what, 75% of Earth's, so maybe it's a little less arduous, but still...

(Speaking of which... Ranka always seems to get tickets to see Sheryl perform. I wonder if Sheryl got tickets to Ranka's first live? Probably not, since she was still in the hospital, and she likely could have gotten them herself if she wanted them, and maybe Ranka would have felt presumptuous offering them... still, would've been a nice gesture. After all, everyone else managed to show up, for once. Maybe in a future episode?)

Ranka used train during Sheryl first concert, as for the farewell concert, the distance shown between her and the concert hall is just for dramatic effect, also to show the fleet folding away in the distance.

A far better explanation is that she need a valkyrie for transportation, she's a FAST pack after all :lol:

We don't see it because it's not shown, but when the camera cuts away from her, she activates her valkyrie backpack and takes off flying for where she needs to get to. Her early warning detection system goes off when it detects that the camera will come back to her, and she lands and continues to run. :lol:

To this I will note Ranka's first live was originally scheduled while Sheryl was to be doing a relief concert on Gallia 4. Then a whole bunch of s**t happened on Gallia 4 with the Zentradi and Ranka had to come tame them, then there was the WTF-1/Global incident and then the large scale Vajra attack on Frontier which pushed back Ranka's concert and kept Sheryl hospitalized (though I think her sickness is a result of the Witchcraft pills and will likely be a point of contention in ep.18).

If the interior of the ship is anything like Japan, then despite efficient mass transportation, it'll take longer to go a couple of blocks than running or even walking. For example: if you take the bus, it means standing and waiting until the bus comes. If you take a subway or train it means (possibly) going slightly out of the way to climb a bunch of stairs and then wait for the next train/subway/monorail to come.

Anyhow, I don't think her running is a commentary on mass transportation. It's as you said, a character flaw of hers. (Buy a watch, little girl!)

Yeah, I agree that it highlights a character flaw. I think she is shown this way to contrast her from Sheryl. Ranka is less mature and is from more humble means, while Sheryl is more put together, wealthy, and has an assistant to help her. It makes her success story all that more compelling.

Yeah, I agree that it highlights a character flaw. I think she is shown this way to contrast her from Sheryl. Ranka is less mature and is from more humble means, while Sheryl is more put together, wealthy, and has an assistant to help her. It makes her success story all that more compelling.

not anymore. :D

You can't have lower gravity for long term, or you'll find that your muscles and bones deteriorate drastically. That's one of the problems of space travel in real life. We need OverTech Gravity Control System :ph34r:

So that means our Ranka is over-the-top physically fit! (Definitely fitter than me, who can't run for long distances :lol:) Looking at that last scene when she's running off to Sheryl's concert... scary... :lol:

and notice - No Cars. No Trains (the tracks were there, but no trains ;)). in fact most of the time u dont see them in Frontier. So i don't think u can blame the girl for not taking public transport. Maybe u need to wait like 1 or 2 hours for each bus/train :unsure: I get the feeling that Frontier is very empty (cept for the core of the cities), perhaps too big and its population is too small. The only time i see more than one car on the road is that evacuation scene. :mellow:

As for Ranka's concert - she didn't even give front row tickets to her brother Ozma, nor her best friends. Maybe the guys bought their own tickets. Ozma was sitting at a crappy position on the sides. Poor man... after all the heroics. And so many empty seats :ph34r:

EDIT: OK OK... coz they need to show Ranka as a lively girl ok? -_-

Edited by Shun

Ranka is always struggling with things:

her shyness, bottled up emotions, missing past and emerging memories, her punctuality and common sense!

so much so that one of my friends has branded her a emotional vampire, always clinging on to things or people.

it's negative feedback from an audience, but it means MacF's writers are doing a good job at fleshing out her character - able to successfully highlight character flaws.

and notice - No Cars. No Trains (the tracks were there, but no trains ;)). in fact most of the time u dont see them in Frontier. So i don't think u can blame the girl for not taking public transport. Maybe u need to wait like 1 or 2 hours for each bus/train :unsure: I get the feeling that Frontier is very empty (cept for the core of the cities), perhaps too big and its population is too small. The only time i see more than one car on the road is that evacuation scene. :mellow:

Too small? Remind me how a city of 5,000,000 in a 15x10 (at most 15x15) Km city is small?

Try no budget/time to animate those things? We're talking about a weekly TV series here. And we have seen the trains and trolly. Of course, the trains were going over the dome and were little more than a thin white line.

Ultimately, Ranka running and trying to catch up to the concert (and to any other appointment of hers for that matter) is way more dramatic than a shot of her riding a train. (unless we want ranka to start talking to herself, and make this series even more eva-like than it already is. hehe). :)

As for Ranka's concert - she didn't even give front row tickets to her brother Ozma, nor her best friends. Maybe the guys bought their own tickets. Ozma was sitting at a crappy position on the sides. Poor man... after all the heroics. And so many empty seats :ph34r:

I suspect that seating area was reserved. If you look at the camera as it pans past the balcony areas right before closing in on Ozma and Cathy, you can see that there are multiple areas, and all of them that are shown are filled in with small groups of SMS personnel. We can clearly see Alto, Luca, and Michael in one section, and the two sections to the left have a number of people with the familiar dark jackets and pants. Best guess is that the seating was set aside for SMS since Ranka is well known to many of the members and the SMS organization has helping with the testing of her singing against the Vajra.

It may not be front row, but it's nice and private. I'm sure Alto doesn't mind that, and Ozma and Cathy were definitely taking advantage of it.

Ranka always runs everywhere because she hates cars and/or public transportation and likes to do some jogging... (just like me, hahaha...) ^_^

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

Ranka always runs everywhere because she hates cars and/or public transportation and likes to do some jogging... (just like me, hahaha...) ^_^

yeah, the last time she rode a train, she ended up taking a detour, getting lost, and meeting alto.... wait, that's not a bad thing... :D

Edited by dreamweaver13

Well, this we know... Ranka's at least one person who doesn't mind the suspension of the mass transport system during the long distance fold...

Ranka: "What?? there's a transport system??" :o:p

Indeed.

I think Ranka is unlucky enough to be squished at rush hour thus her preference to walking and running.

yeah, the last time she rode a train, she ended up taking a detour, getting lost, and meeting alto.... wait, that's not a bad thing... :D

Thats also why she aint using the train anymore! She's afraid she might meet another "hime" and forget Alto :ph34r: