Weird Old Toys.

My brothers have these old toys they call "Sectars", theyre weird insect people with insect eyes, that have many guns they can hold in their holsters or hold to fire. The main enemy rides a big spider thing, and theres a glove part on the bottom, so you can "control" the spider with the Sectar rider.

The main leader has a pet "insect dog" with 6 legs, where if you press a button on his stomach his mouth will snap, like he's biting. And its all very weird. The figures are bigger than most. The person figures are around 6 inches tall, and yah!

Were these from a TV series? Who made them? Whats their actual name? Its a curious subject.

-BEN-MAN-

Heh heh heh... Sectaurs.

I remember when those things came out. The mall toy store had them hung from the ceiling with fishing line and had that crappy holloween spider webbing everywhere. Those things had some neat packaging and paint finishes. I also remember they had "ninja turtleish" plastic molded weapons and rubbery belts and bandoliers.

I still can't get over the fact that the big things were just fancied up gloves though...

Edit to add: Doh I forgot to answer the questions this thread posed...

They where made by Coleco (yes the people that made the Colecovision). I'm not sure if they had a show but I do remember their neat commercials that where presented like mini-shows with one toy commercial continuing into the next. I remember when they first came out, I was watching the GI Joe Mass Device movie on TV on a lazy winter weekend and got to see all the Sectaurs commercials from start to finish that ran during that movie... damn, I can remember a toy commercial I saw in freaking 1987 or so but I can't remember where I put my car keys.

Edited by JsARCLIGHT

The toys definitely seemed far more adult than most toys out there today. There were so many neat weapons and stuff that you could have tons of fun making even just two of the figures battle it out together. It was awesome.

Theyre probably the only american toys I'd ever consider collecting.

Was the 5 episode TV series animated by a Japanese or Korean studio? I've seen some screencaps, and it seems a little too... Nice... For American 1985 Animation. Maybe done by the same asian studio as the Thundercats? Yes, I know the thundercats is american, but I had always thought it was animated by an asian company. It looks far too... Anime style, with all the 'shinys' and stuff to be american. But at any rate.

-BEN-MAN-

>Theyre probably the only american toys I'd ever consider collecting.

Awww... You mean you didn't like stuff like STARCOM? Those motorised Power Deploy vehicles were da bomb!

While not from the 80's another american line worth looking at is exo-squad. That and vintage SW are the only purely american lines I collect. I don't cont transformers G1 series 1-3 as entirely american, as many are repackaged Japanese Diclone and micromen.

...which came out a couple years before He-Man

Interesting factoid about He-Man.

IMDB.COM

The Mattel Toy Company started to make some Conan action figures, but after viewing the film, the executives realized that they couldn't afford to be associated with a film with such graphic sex and violence. They gave their doll blonde hair, called him "He-man", and thus created "He-Man and the Masters of the Universe" (1983).

That gives He-Man a whole new meaning!!.

IMDB.COM

The Mattel Toy Company started to make some Conan action figures, but after viewing the film, the executives realized that they couldn't afford to be associated with a film with such graphic sex and violence. They gave their doll blonde hair, called him "He-man", and thus created "He-Man and the Masters of the Universe" (1983).

Thats really funny. Now adays look at all the toys with scimpy G-strings and loincloths. Granted most of that is Mc-Farlene's stuff but still :lol:

Thats really funny. Now adays look at all the toys with scimpy G-strings and loincloths. Granted most of that is Mc-Farlene's stuff but still :lol:

have you seen the Mcfarlane line for the wizard of Oz? it features dorthy in a bongage outfit being worked over my some munchkins......disturbing stuff..... :ph34r:

Thats really funny. Now adays look at all the toys with scimpy G-strings and loincloths. Granted most of that is Mc-Farlene's stuff but still  :lol:

have you seen the Mcfarlane line for the wizard of Oz? it features dorthy in a bongage outfit being worked over my some munchkins......disturbing stuff..... :ph34r:

Yes I have seen those. Utterly disturbed. Though I have yet to see the tin woodsman. Whats he look like?

Thats really funny. Now adays look at all the toys with scimpy G-strings and loincloths. Granted most of that is Mc-Farlene's stuff but still  :lol:

Yes I have seen those. Utterly disturbed. Though I have yet to see the tin woodsman. Whats he look like?

here ya go...

monsters2_tinman_photo_01_dl.jpg

here ya go...

monsters2_tinman_photo_01_dl.jpg

Hehe that TWM is kinda cool.

IMDB.COM

I had always suspected He-Man to be a mix of the 1980 version of Flash Gordon and Conan. All of the different races and the mix of technology and magic are very Flash Gordon-ish.

Any1 remember "the Mighty Orbots"? I don't think they ever made toys for it, but that would have been great for godaikin fans.

Oh I remember Mighty Orbots. The blonde dude with a his little android companion and 5 living mechs in his apartment and the evil Umbra (Which looked like a vaginal :huh: MCP BTW). Props 2 Tokyo Movie Shinsa for the animation who also worked on Bionic 6.

~G25