Toynami/Tamashii(Bandai) Macross SDCC coverage-1/55, 1/100, et al

Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0

I know at least one group of workers at another booth were just grabbed as cheap labor from Ireland on visas.

I have this image of a bunch of surly Irishmen in 1920's era clothing with thick accents standing around a toy booth and picking fights with anyone who asks questions. Wish I coulda seen that. :D

If I was a Toynami I would be nervous about answering questions too...

"Hey remember six years ago when you told me the Beta was coming out soon..."

"Hey remember 2 years ago when you said the Fast Packs for the 1/100 was coming out soon?"

"Hey remember yesterday when you said..."

I know at least one group of workers at another booth were just grabbed as cheap labor from Ireland on visas.

What they go to the emerald isle and get workers but not the UK. I would have gone for food and lodgings for the show.

i wonder if they have plans to release a TV max and kakizaki... since they had some in the display diorama..... the CF GBP actually doesn't look too bad...

as for the workers... there were 2 people sitting at the booth.... george sohn was off somewhere.... i know one of the guys actually works for Toynami as a publicist or something.... and then there was some other white dude...

i asked both of the publicist guy and the white dude and that's all they could muster up to answer.... oh well....

in other funny news at Comic Con.... for those of you who dislike Treasure Island (Tisinc).... i witnessed them making a really stupid purchase and wasting monies... This one booth next to them was having an auction for all their statues and busts.... but before that, EVERYTHING was half price... even statues... there was the Final Fantasy statues worth $250 and $190 and no one bought them when they were half price... but during the auction... Tisinc bid $175 and $130 for them.... haha... stupid jerks stood me up at MW con when they already promised to come... i'm glad they didn't come though... =]

Guest sh002

i hope bandai releases a 1/55 tv max and kakizaki before toynami releases 1/100 versions. same for the gbp.

Edited by sh002

This one booth next to them was having an auction for all their statues and busts..

They should have gotten busted just like the Mattel booth did for not controlling the crowd. They created a serious fire hazard. I'm sure they only got away with it because it was the last day.

i wonder if they have plans to release a TV max and kakizaki... since they had some in the display diorama..... the CF GBP actually doesn't look too bad...

as for the workers... there were 2 people sitting at the booth.... george sohn was off somewhere.... i know one of the guys actually works for Toynami as a publicist or something.... and then there was some other white dude...

i asked both of the publicist guy and the white dude and that's all they could muster up to answer.... oh well....

in other funny news at Comic Con.... for those of you who dislike Treasure Island (Tisinc).... i witnessed them making a really stupid purchase and wasting monies... This one booth next to them was having an auction for all their statues and busts.... but before that, EVERYTHING was half price... even statues... there was the Final Fantasy statues worth $250 and $190 and no one bought them when they were half price... but during the auction... Tisinc bid $175 and $130 for them.... haha... stupid jerks stood me up at MW con when they already promised to come... i'm glad they didn't come though... =]

There is a CF GBP-1S??? :o

Glad you feel somewhat irrate towards our beloved fellows at TISINC. too..... that is healthy. :)

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Collectiondx has their report and video up. Basically the 1/55 VF-1D was shown just to see if there was enough interest by the fans, as well as the new heads. If there is enough interest, they will be made, the new heads are for Robotech versions, Ben Dixon is planned, as well as Skull 1 and the "hero valks", and George Sohn wants valks never made before in the scale, like the 1D.

It looks like Toynami will bring over whatever Bandai makes for Origin of Valkyrie, but is testing the waters before making their own Robotech versions. So an easy way of looking at it is:

Origin of Valkyrie-old heads

Robotech-new heads

The robotech heads have telescoping necks to make the undercarriage sleeker in fighter mode.

Honestly I want both. The Robotech versions can fill in the gaps that Bandai may leave with origin of valkyrie. For example would Bandai even bother making TV VF-1A Max or Kakizaki? I don't care for Kakizaki but I want the 1A Max. Maybe Toynami can make that with the new head. I think Bandai will release the Strike, Elint and Super O. Hopefully Toynami convinces them to make the GP1s. That would leave all the armored valks covered by Bandai, and Toynami could make all the TV valks left.

Its confusing though, George Sohn said the Robotech ones with new heads will be made if there is enough interest, but the sign at SDCC said "coming soon".

Its confusing though, George Sohn said the Robotech ones with new heads will be made if there is enough interest, but the sign at SDCC said "coming soon".

Well, that certainly fits in perfectly with the rest of Toynami's track record. I've never seen a toy company so shrouded in mystery and illusion. I'll be happy if their plans come to frution and will be more than happy to throw my money at them, but I'm not holding my breath.

George Sohn wants valks never made before in the scale, like the 1D.

Bravo, George Sohn. If these get made, I'll definitely pick them up.

The robotech heads have telescoping necks to make the undercarriage sleeker in fighter mode.

Interesting. Even with a telescoping neck, I don't believe the 1/55 design leaves much room for the head to tuck in in fighter mode. I'm curious to see what Toynami does.

I'm surprised that Toynami has managed to stay afloat as long as it has with their shoddy QC and not putting out products regularly, but then again, I guess they rely on the other anime products they put out.

Looks like the GBP parts even have side cover bits in the pics showing the armor on the VF-1J.

Well, that certainly fits in perfectly with the rest of Toynami's track record. I've never seen a toy company so shrouded in mystery and illusion. I'll be happy if their plans come to frution and will be more than happy to throw my money at them, but I'm not holding my breath.

It'd be cool if they could bring over the CMs as mospeada toys. (I talked about that in the mospeada thread)

toynami;s gbp 1/100 looks pretty cool.

See I think it's better they focus on the smaller stuff first, profit from that, then slowly work there way up to larger stuff. What you want to do is attract the casual fan first who has just watched all those robotech dvds, but isn't hardcore enough to buy collector toys, and then after squeezing as much money out of that, come up with improved versions.

So instead of non-transforming superposeables you have smaller transforming valks, and then the more expensive MPC.

But in the meantime, bring over what is already available overseas.

And you know, there may actually be some japanese buyers who want to buy the ROBOTECH versions of toys too. If they can get a vf-1d chunky munky or TV VF-1A Max they can gloat about that to all the other collectors who never knew about that. I'm sure there is some extra money to made from those. (although they will probably think it is a bootleg or something hehe)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

And you know, there may actually be some japanese buyers who want to buy the ROBOTECH versions of toys too. If they can get a vf-1d chunky munky or TV VF-1A Max they can gloat about that to all the other collectors who never knew about that. I'm sure there is some extra money to made from those. (although they will probably think it is a bootleg or something hehe)

As I said earlier, the Robotech versions might be a great way to fill in the gaps that "Origin of Valkyrie" may have.

As for Toynami, as said in Wayne's World 2, "If you book them, they will come".

Just make the 1/55s Toynami, and buyers will come, myself included.

Enough demand/sales? So will these heads be an aftermarket part and sold separately?

No, they are planned to be used on Toynami's Robotech versions of the 1/55 if there is enough demand for them. I think Toynami needs to hype those more, the showing at SDCC was minimal, and a lot of people didn't even notice the VF-1D in the galleries.

Humph.

I wonder how many boxes of those Alpha's they had to open before they found ones good enough to use for display

...I'm bet'n a lot!

(Although I'm as glutton for punishment so you can count me in for a Tread or two)

Uh, seriously, did you just ask for approximate release dates from Toynami? You're better off picking a time frame and consulting a magic 8 ball.

What I really want to know, is if the Robotech VF-1 chunkytechs are even coming out or not. The new head=cool. Telescoping neck=uhm...yeah....nice...well better than light up eyes...okay cool. Release? What George Sohn says leads one to believe that maybe these won't come out. It certainly did not help Toynami, that there was barely anything showing for the 1/55. The main reaction that weekend was "OMG DUDE LOOK A CHUNKY 1D.....OH MAN....THAT WAS ONLY SHOWN IN THE TAKATOKU PROMO PICS...AND INSERT CATALOG...OH MAN....KICK ASS....". We find hope that it might be released by seeing the placard that says "coming soon". Then George Sohn goes on camera and says their release is all dependent on demand. The 1/55 VF-1D is definitely a fan favorite, but to shove it in the dark corner of the display, and let all the 1/100s get the attention?

So truly, which one is it? Are we getting the chunkytechs or not? I for one, am more interested in seeing the chunkytechs than the 1/100.

Besides I wouldn't be surprised if Origin of Valkyrie ends up having the DYRL armor trio in the line(Strike, ELINT, SuperO), I see the Robotech 1/55 chunkies with new heads as valks to fill in the gaps for the TV series valks.

So come on Toynami, this is a chance to fill in the gaps, not overlap over Bandai, and give fans the best of both worlds. All we need is a straight answer, yes or no.

What I really want to know, is if the Robotech VF-1 chunkytechs are even coming out or not. The new head=cool. Telescoping neck=uhm...yeah....nice...well better than light up eyes...okay cool. Release? What George Sohn says leads one to believe that maybe these won't come out. It certainly did not help Toynami, that there was barely anything showing for the 1/55. The main reaction that weekend was "OMG DUDE LOOK A CHUNKY 1D.....OH MAN....THAT WAS ONLY SHOWN IN THE TAKATOKU PROMO PICS...AND INSERT CATALOG...OH MAN....KICK ASS....". We find hope that it might be released by seeing the placard that says "coming soon". Then George Sohn goes on camera and says their release is all dependent on demand. The 1/55 VF-1D is definitely a fan favorite, but to shove it in the dark corner of the display, and let all the 1/100s get the attention?

So truly, which one is it? Are we getting the chunkytechs or not? I for one, am more interested in seeing the chunkytechs than the 1/100.

Besides I wouldn't be surprised if Origin of Valkyrie ends up having the DYRL armor trio in the line(Strike, ELINT, SuperO), I see the Robotech 1/55 chunkies with new heads as valks to fill in the gaps for the TV series valks.

So come on Toynami, this is a chance to fill in the gaps, not overlap over Bandai, and give fans the best of both worlds. All we need is a straight answer, yes or no.

Basically, I just want to know what 1/55's they are going to have. I'm not worried about the 1/100's. Good point about the magic 8 ball.