Newbie Questions on Macross

Ok, this may have been discussed a long time ago, but I did a search and came up blank.

In the entire series, when the hell does Hikaru fly a 1J in atmosphere off the carrier deck and end up in a city fight with along side a bunch of CFs? I remember when I was little and first started watching Robocrap, I waited forever for that scene to pop up in the series. It never happened, then I got older, watched SDF Macross on my Animeigo DVDs, completely forgot about that little bit of curiosity, then this new reanimated Pachinko intro (which is frakkin amazing, might I add) got me thinking again.

Hikaru never had a carrier launch in his 1J, in atmo, does he? I don't recall. Damn, I'll have to watch the series again. Oh well, good excuse for a Macross marathon.

Ok, this may have been discussed a long time ago, but I did a search and came up blank.

In the entire series, when the hell does Hikaru fly a 1J in atmosphere off the carrier deck and end up in a city fight with along side a bunch of CFs? I remember when I was little and first started watching Robocrap, I waited forever for that scene to pop up in the series. It never happened, then I got older, watched SDF Macross on my Animeigo DVDs, completely forgot about that little bit of curiosity, then this new reanimated Pachinko intro (which is frakkin amazing, might I add) got me thinking again.

Hikaru never had a carrier launch in his 1J, in atmo, does he? I don't recall. Damn, I'll have to watch the series again. Oh well, good excuse for a Macross marathon.

I believe it only ever occured in the opening animation (or closing animation for the Robotech version).

Well, one theory could be that the intro takes place after ep 27, but before ep 28. It's possible that they kept the macross in service for a bit before retiring it to the lake.

The most glaring thing about the intro is that the macross is shown firing it's main gun- in cruiser mode. So they might of repaired it as well.

She may not be a Macross but she is the pride of the Zola Patrol.

The Macross Chronicle page does have a size comparision next to the SDF-1. But it's also nebulous. It gives the length as significantly less than 300 m. Less than 100 m actually.

Of course one could get out a ruler and do some measurements... but I have a hunch that the size comparison isn't that accurate to begin with. I'd give the vessel a guesstimate size of about 75 m (as it's signifcantly larger than a VF, but listed as less than approximately 100 m on the scale).

Peter may be remembering the English dub of Macross instead. It had the Macross OP of Hikaru launching from the Macross over the city.

As a kid I used to watch SDF Macross along with Blue Noah aka Thundersub in the late 80's.

Well, one theory could be that the intro takes place after ep 27, but before ep 28. It's possible that they kept the macross in service for a bit before retiring it to the lake.

The most glaring thing about the intro is that the macross is shown firing it's main gun- in cruiser mode. So they might of repaired it as well.

Opening and ending theme animation in anime in general should always be viewed with a big artistic license and never believed that what happens there will necessarily happen in the show. They highlight certain points but they're glorified. That's the point of the theme animation, it's to grab your attention.

Opening and ending theme animation in anime in general should always be viewed with a big artistic license and never believed that what happens there will necessarily happen in the show. They highlight certain points but they're glorified. That's the point of the theme animation, it's to grab your attention.

Technically, though, it DID happen...in Hikaru's fever dream... ;)

In the "Macross Frontier Movie" thread, VF5SS wrote this:

[...] there's at least three versions of the original Macross story (TV show, DYRL, and now Macross the First) [...]

What's the latter, Macross the First? Never heard about this... :huh:

What's the latter, Macross the First? Never heard about this... :huh:

It's a manga that's currently running in Macross Ace... it's an adaptation of the Space War 1 era, but with a mix of DYRL and TV series aesthetics and such, modernized a fair bit too.

It's a manga that's currently running in Macross Ace... it's an adaptation of the Space War 1 era, but with a mix of DYRL and TV series aesthetics and such, modernized a fair bit too.

Is it possible to get it outside Japan?

Is it possible to get it outside Japan?

Several online import stores have carried it (though it tends to sell out rather quickly) and Amazon Japan and HMV Japan. Both Amazon and HMV will ship books and DVDs internationally (nothing else though).

A side note: It appears HMV Japan still has some stock of the first issue of Macross The First. Though judging by the picture I'm not sure if its a re-issue or just a place holder picture. The possibility exists that its a compilation book of the first two issues, but I am not sure.

Edited by Zinjo

Could you (or he) be more specific? Eriera barely appears in the comic at all, so I'm not sure where that would get thrown in.

Mainly I read it in this thread.

http://www.robotech.com/community/forum/re...&forumid=24

Go down a bit further.

Also here

http://www.robotech.com/community/forum/re...mp;pagenumber=1

Where Ariela or Eriera is stated to be a half-Zentran.

Mainly I read it in this thread.

http://www.robotech.com/community/forum/re...&forumid=24

Go down a bit further.

Also here

http://www.robotech.com/community/forum/re...mp;pagenumber=1

Where Ariela or Eriera is stated to be a half-Zentran.

Huh.

I haven't sat down and really read the manga, but Eriera pretty much only shows up in the gag sections in the back...and scanning through those, I don't see either "Britai" or "Kridanik" mentioned anywhere. So I don't know where he's getting that from.

I'm not saying it's not there, mind you. I'm just saying I don't know where it is in the comic.

Having read the Mechanic MF NUNS 02a VF-171 Nightmare Plus translation by Sketchley got me thinking...

Since Ozma was reffered used to be in NUNS when at the time UN Spacy was still there could it be they are actually two different services?

New UN Spacy- Heavily reliant on unmanned craft. Fewer VF pilots and not that many veterans.

UN Spacy - Reliant on traditional VF pilot forces. Greater variety in craft available.

We know that UN Forces have different services, UN Spacy, UN Airforce, UN Army and UN Navy. What if NUNS was a new one introduced post Macross Plus?

Having read the Mechanic MF NUNS 02a VF-171 Nightmare Plus translation by Sketchley got me thinking...

Since Ozma was reffered used to be in NUNS when at the time UN Spacy was still there could it be they are actually two different services?

Probably not. Just a transition period.

New UN Spacy- Heavily reliant on unmanned craft. Fewer VF pilots and not that many veterans.

UN Spacy - Reliant on traditional VF pilot forces. Greater variety in craft available.

Actually, UN Spacy was reliant on Ghosts as far back as the UN Wars. It's been a issue since then.

We know that UN Forces have different services, UN Spacy, UN Airforce, UN Army and UN Navy. What if NUNS was a new one introduced post Macross Plus?

Again, it was probably just a transition period.

Actually, UN Spacy was reliant on Ghosts as far back as the UN Wars. It's been a issue since then.

I know Ghost were used then. But the article on the VF-171 implies UN Forces pushed through with the pilot replacement despite the Sharon Apple Incident. Though only partially still significantly halved.

We assumed that the name change involved the events of VF-X2. But if the transition occured before then, say when the ICCs were introduced in the 2040s, we have two entities with overlaping responsibilities. The older one slowly losing relevancy. (Hell that could explain Garland's Xanatos Gambit of using terror organizations and the VF-X Ravens.)

• 2 weeks later...
Forgive me if this has already been asked, but is there anywhere I could come by a .avi download of Do You Remember Love?

Not here... you'd want to check the more reputable fansub torrent sites for something like that, though I doubt you'll have much luck finding the movie in AVI format. Nowadays, Matroska seems to be the container of choice among most fansub groups, since it supports multiple audio and subtitle tracks.

Edited by Seto Kaiba