Tired of Yamato toy complaints on the forum?

physioguy

Yamato QC and other complaints  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Are you tired of reading Yamato complaints on the MW Forums?

• Yes, it makes MW less enjoyable
    • No, it is informative and doesn't phase me
  2. 2. Overall, are you happy with Yamato and their Macross toy production??

• Yes
    • Undecided
    • No

I love this forum for news, pics, answering rare questions, for sale/trade, and discussion with other MW members. Lately I've grown very tired of every different thread ending up as a Yamato complaint thread... the actual topic of the threads become lost. I'm curious as to what the majority of MW'ers think as I have no idea if I sit in the majority or minority... not that it's important, just curious to know. Which brings me to my questions:

Edited by physioguy

lately...i dont know if im tired of yamato hate posts or reading entire page of pure spam :(

i havent forgotten about the vf-0a's shitty arms but i love the 1/48's..... so im undecided

Edited by Vegas Valkyrie

Sure some of the complaints go too far... sometimes it feels like we're just going re-doing the same coversation over and over again, but yamato really has fraked up a lot and their apparant inability to release a toy without some flaw(s) (sometimes minor and sometimes MAJOR) really turns a lot of people off.

I remember not too long ago that threads were talking about how Bandai is not going to give us what we want for MF merchandise and how they can't make a good looking valkyrie toy. Lol.

yup, and I go and look at the pics of the 1/72 and the promo shots of the DX and I was right, they look like poo.

lately...i dont know if im tired of yamato hate posts or reading entire page of pure spam :(

i havent forgotten about the vf-0a's shitty arms but i love the 1/48's..... so im undecided

Seconded on both counts (although I think MW is pretty good considering some other forums I view).

I can't say my complaint posts were informative just my own realistic experiences amplified by rage... so yes and no. Btw, why the undecided slot? When it comes down to it, all experiences are either a yes or a no. You don't pay good money to sit on a fence - just my 2 cents.

It's amazing how you can judge the DX from such a small promo poster. You must have good eyes.

If you think I need good eyes to judge the DX, you must be blind to not notice they got the entire hip/crotch area just plain wrong.

sure it is, I'm ambivalent about my vf-0... I love the way it looks but I hate the way it falls apart. See? :p

I love the way it looks too but the pains of the looseness, the fragility of the plastic and the non-entitlement for a decent replacement for free, far outweighs the pleasure I derived from its beauty. I'm not trying to incite hatred for your toys, but you can't have a measurable result if you're undecided - especially when this poll could say something to Yamato.

Edited by Beware of Blast

I love the way it looks too but pains of the looseness, the fragility of the plastic and the non-entitlement for a decent replacement for free, far outweighs the beauty. I'm not trying to incite hatred for your toys, but you can't have a measurable result if you're undecided.

and yet, there's an option for measuring ambivalence, right there in the poll, so it is measurable. ^_^

I love the way it looks too but the pains of the looseness, the fragility of the plastic and the non-entitlement for a decent replacement for free, far outweighs the pleasure I derived from its beauty.

This sounds like you're talking about a woman! :)

VFTF1

Overall the complaining doesn't bother me much as a lot of it involves valid complaints even if they can be blown way out of proportion. A major problem with any interweb community is that the "regulars" are on all the time and have basically talked about any issue so many times that it strains their patience. So when someone that's not around much or is new brings something common to them up that's new to them all the regs :rolleyes:

Overall I'd say I'm about 80-90% happy with Yamato's products but then again I don't own a VF-0 or a YF-21 which I've seen a lot of complaints about. I do however own the old YF-19 and VF-11B which have also had their share of complaints but that was years ago and Yamato has come a long way with their toy designs even if their packaging hasn't really improved :lol:

yes - yes

I've had a few issues with Yamato's QC, but there was nothing I couldn't have fixed on my own. All my Valks are still in one piece. :) Cleary the excellent craftsmanship, attention to details, acuracy to the original linart and overall look, shine above any QC issue the Yamato Valks might have.

Overall the complaining doesn't bother me much as a lot of it involves valid complaints even if they can be blown way out of proportion. A major problem with any interweb community is that the "regulars" are on all the time and have basically talked about any issue so many times that it strains their patience. So when someone that's not around much or is new brings something common to them up that's new to them all the regs :rolleyes:

Overall I'd say I'm about 80-90% happy with Yamato's products but then again I don't own a VF-0 or a YF-21 which I've seen a lot of complaints about. I do however own the old YF-19 and VF-11B which have also had their share of complaints but that was years ago and Yamato has come a long way with their toy designs even if their packaging hasn't really improved :lol:

There's lots of complaints about the YF-21? Do tell? I think you mean the 19...

I've never had a Yamato toy break on me, but I don't actually play with 'em. I transform each toy maybe once per year, some even less.

Me too

Sure some of the complaints go too far... sometimes it feels like we're just going re-doing the same coversation over and over again, but yamato really has fraked up a lot and their apparant inability to release a toy without some flaw(s) (sometimes minor and sometimes MAJOR) really turns a lot of people off.

The covering old ground in new threads can get tiresome but with the ammount of new users this forum gets each year some repeate questions are gonna happen.

There's lots of complaints about the YF-21? Do tell? I think you mean the 19...

I was wondering about that too, but other than the slightly crooked gunpod, I've not heard the 19 getting complaints either.

VFTF1

I find complaints useful, especially if the subject is an expensive product. They may not deter me from a purchase, but would make me aware of issues a product may have that I may need to deal with myself either through care or modification.

Still, some complaining - and support - can be rather opinionated, and subject to a grain of salt. For example - After hearing so much praise heaped on core Yamato product over the years, the 1/60 VF-1 I finally got around to purchasing from another collector a short while ago surprised me in that it was roughly comparable in terms of quality and material/design decisions to Toynami products I'd read post authors heaping derision upon. If I hadn't have read some of the complaints about the Yamato product, I might have been genuinely shocked.

I've been in this anime-related hobby (and other media- and product-oriented hobbies) for quite some time. I've found that the most persistent complaint trends tend to be the result of somewhat immature viewpoints - akin to jingoistic pride or loyalties rather than a realistic assessment of a product's or company's offerings.

Too much in either direction isn't good. However its good we have people that are willing to complain about valid problems, as opposed to dickriding Yamato which was a constant not too many years ago on these boards. Some of you guys may have not been around long enough to know this, but yes it was very real, and present daily on these boards. It was ridiculous, not even borderline ridiculous.

For all the constant bitching that goes in this forum, the Yamato bitching is the only useful one; mainly because it talks mostly about real stuff not about stuff that doesn't yet exist in its final form (be it toy or movie or anime or whatever).

That and the bitching about Toynami and other companies that sticks to their actual released products.

There are thousands of posts about "they raped my childhood", "its not line art accurate", "they aren't true to the original spirit of the series"... and that’s when we only have one or two script notes, leaked pics, magazine scans or even early protos… Pure subjective crap that can go either way, but that the 1st ed VF-11 will most likely loose a leg is a freaking fact. And we always get new people here that don’t know these stories.

Hard to think of constructive criticism in this site, but yes, bringing up that the first two releases of the VF-0 will most likely loose an arm as well as remembering all the other designs and QC f* ups is helpful to the community.

Example: HLJ has the VF-0A almost as cheap as the Angel Birds 1/48 on sale now. I said "cool, the VF-0 is purty, me want"; but thanks to the people here with their constant horror stories and pics I know that the toy is on sale because it’s defective. That and that to get it to work like it is supposed to you have to buy from Yamato the same arms they f* up.

Conclusion: I won't pay more than what they are asking for a perfectly working 1/48 for a toy that I know will break.

I'm fine with all the whining and bickering.... besides what else do we have to talk about? Maybe if we could beat more info outta Yamato we wouldn't have to whine and burst into degenerative rants about wether the YF-21 is gonna be glossy or not or how big or small the legs should be. But it is not to be so we just moan and complain to pass the time in hopes that our pleas will be heard and maybe a few of our questions will be answered. As for toy production, Yamato's designs are the cream of the crop (who woulda thought that they could make an Sv-51 that looks good) but since they screwed up big time on the VF-0 they will forever be regarded by most people here as cheapskates who wont go the extra 10 cents to put on better materials. I myself think yamato has started to get better with each run since the VF-0 but no first releases sofar have been qc free. Who knows, maybe the YF-21 will be "perfect" and then maybe it will be a big floppy mess with ejecto arms and legs.

Edited by dizman