Question for die hard Robotech DVD TV series people

Which DVD box set do you think is the best? (between the Protoculture Collection and the first released Legacy Collection (complete set)?

And for what reasons?

Bonus Question: For those who have seen the original Macross TV series, which do you prefer? Robotech or the Macross TV series version? Same question goes for Robotech: New Generation vs. Mospeada...

Thank in advance advance for your comments. Looking forward to reading them.

Which DVD box set do you think is the best? (between the Protoculture Collection and the first released Legacy Collection (complete set)?

And for what reasons?

Bonus Question: For those who have seen the original Macross TV series, which do you prefer? Robotech or the Macross TV series version? Same question goes for Robotech: New Generation vs. Mospeada...

Thank in advance advance for your comments. Looking forward to reading them.

WARNING: be careful when posting robotech related topics or you may get vaporized by some members:)

Thus said:

1) Protoculture Collection (unless you can find Legacy for an affordable price)

2) 'Love 'em both

I have the Protoculture edition. I think that it has a few extended scenes compared to the Legacy version. The scenes are also enhanced with better and sharper images. There tons of bonuses also included such as the Sentinels movie.

Blaaah! Robotech suxorz!!!

That said - the only visual and audio experience I have acquired (recently) with Robotech is through Youtube. Here are my thoughts:

1. The Sentinels:

I actually lke this - or at least I liked the parts focusing on Rem and Cabel. Prick and Lasy's wending I could do without - it was terrible. Breetai's character redesign is aweful. I generally hate the uniforms - tight spider-man pants for everybody + Han Solo jumpsuit jacket just doesn't work. The hairstyles are terrible.

That said - Rem and Cabel's plight; and their Greco-Roman looks - are cool. The Inorganics are great Mecha...er...noids?... although the Hellcat is my least favorite - but those big one eyed guys with their penises sticking out are just the best! I love 'em!

Anyways - there were only three episodes of this made; but it's generally decent - at least the parts covering Rem and Cabel... I hate watching whiny Prick Hunter moan and groan about being a leader.... and Lasy and the girls shopping for a wedding dress and running into We Will Win!! is just droll....

2. Robotech : Macross Saga

I have only seen a few scenes of this from youtube. I was devastated. How could they DOOOO that? SDF Macross has Misa captured by the Zendradi - Hikaru saves her, but she shatters the microfilm camera and can't get out of the dead Zendradi's grip. She begs Hikaru to leave her and is clearly reproaching herself for failing to protect the micro-film. Hikaru says he won't turn his back on a girl and Misa briefly smiles in surprise as he pulls her out.

Now Robotech: "Oh Prick! Trapped here in this Zendradi's evil clutches I've suddenly realized I can't live without you! I'm going to profess my love to you here and now because I far our American audiences are to braindead to appreciate a subtle undertone of mutual affection that blossoms into love over 36 episodes! Therefore I feel compelled to let you know how much I care! I'll be there! Whereever you are! Moon or Star..forever and ever you'll be in my heaart...I'll be theeeeerrreee!"

Oh jeezus no.

The only other thing I've seen in Robotech is when Prick rescues Lasy again - this time from the undeground Alaska base. "oh Prick! I knew you'd come! I love you! oh! Let me profess my love for you again! It's not enough that people will feel the love emanating between us on the basis of our facial expressions, the music, and the general background that has slowly built up to this moment - no! I must profess my love loud and clear so there can be no doubt in anyone's mind - even though according to the plot I shouldn't be professing my love so loud and clear because in a few episode's I'll get mad over those Minmey pictures - but here and now I want to underscore what a weak tramp I am and tell you I love you!"

Ok - so I'm paraphrasing - but you get the gist.

But the catch all that just kils it is the last episode.

SDF Macross ended with such wonderful poetry.

Robotech..."I love Prick and you better stay away skank ho!"

"Oh Prick! How could you!? After I sang we will win for everbody! Noo!"

I also watched a bit of Robotech Masters on youtube...

It was...well...kind of lame; although sort of ok...

I dunno - I don't trust anything that's not in Japanese. I'm biased that way :)

And I'm getting old - so my bias will only fester and grow deeper and deeper until I'm an old shriveled man sittin' on my porch mumbling "Robotech! Feh!" :)

VFTF1

I've been going through a Macross marathon lately, and I tried to watch the Sentinels at some point just to see what the Macekered continuation of the whole Macross saga would be like... I just couldn't do it. I think I made it to the point where Minmay volunteers to help Lisa, then FF towards the end and gave up. I can't really even understand why there were petitions to keep it going. Which isn't to say I hate Robotech; I appreciate the fact HG brought it over and gave me a great story as a kid... I just wish they'd pull whatever is stuck up their arses out and let Macross be Macross in the US. Even as a kid I lost interest in Robotech after the Macross saga pretty quickly; more of the Mospeada/Southern Cross adaptations just doesn't do it for me. I have the old "complete collection" Robotech - Macross saga (unremastered), which I'm probably selling or giving away since I got 2 of the AnimeEigo (one sealed... for $40 why not), and the ADV dubbed set.

Anyway to the TC, the entire AnimeEigo Macross release is only $60 at Robotech.com (was only $40 just a few weeks ago sadly), and you can even Netflix the ADV 06 dub with Mari Ijiima if you're not into subs. It's worth it to check out even if you are shopping for a Robotech collection.

I've been going through a Macross marathon lately, and I tried to watch the Sentinels at some point just to see what the Macekered continuation of the whole Macross saga would be like... I just couldn't do it. I think I made it to the point where Minmay volunteers to help Lisa, then FF towards the end and gave up. I can't really even understand why there were petitions to keep it going. Which isn't to say I hate Robotech; I appreciate the fact HG brought it over and gave me a great story as a kid... I just wish they'd pull whatever is stuck up their arses out and let Macross be Macross in the US. Even as a kid I lost interest in Robotech after the Macross saga pretty quickly; more of the Mospeada/Southern Cross adaptations just doesn't do it for me. I have the old "complete collection" Robotech - Macross saga (unremastered), which I'm probably selling or giving away since I got 2 of the AnimeEigo (one sealed... for $40 why not), and the ADV dubbed set.

Anyway to the TC, the entire AnimeEigo Macross release is only $60 at Robotech.com (was only $40 just a few weeks ago sadly), and you can even Netflix the ADV 06 dub with Mari Ijiima if you're not into subs. It's worth it to check out even if you are shopping for a Robotech collection.

Rick Hunter's certain reckless sense of style just didn't grab you, huh?

Thanks for the answers guys.

I have yet to see the Japanese version of the Macross TV series. Judging from what's said here, I'm looking forward to it.

One thing I can tell you about Robotech is:

The music is great. It's placed in great places. Heck, even some of the minmay U.S. songs are nice (To Be In Love).... I grew up on it.

But the REAL re-mastered version lies in the Japanese versions, right?

Again, thanks to all who answered. VFTF1, especially. =) Great stuff. I agree with some of that

I'm buying the Legacy collection locally (for $35). Unless someone can beat that (with shipping, the hassle of sending, etc... I doubt it).

I like the Legacy's artwork. And I like the fact they kept it in tact as it was aired on TV.

Happy to hear that :)

I did forget to spew my opinions about Shadow Chronicles - which I watched on Youtube....

Tum tu dumb! Ta ta ta dumb! Tum tu dumb! Ta ta ta dumb! Tum tu dumb dumb! du dumb dumb du-mb-umb-umb Ta ta ta ta!

The Star Wars spoof of an opener is really original - no one EVER does that! I'm glad Robotech Shadow Chronicles has such a unique and memorable openning... NOT!

The only scene from the beginning that I like was seeing the Invid regis - but this only means I would probably LOVE the original Japanese show featuring the INBIT...

Well - actually - to be fair - I actually didn't find Shadow Chronicles to be THAT bad - but the main reason why it was ok was because it had NOTHING TO DO WITH MACROSS.

That's good.

No VF-1s or zeros or anything that even looks like one. Granted, there was Prick Hunter - but he's some old dude with thinning gray hair now. So that's all good.

I think what really helped here is that the focus was on the Mospedea/Sentinels and there weren't even any Zendradi.

Actually - I find that quite hilarious. The implication is that the Zendradi all just flew away with Prick Hunter?

Whatever the case - the farther it moves away from the Macross Saga - the more I can take it in as something completely different.

Which of course doesn't change the fact that Shadow Chronicles was essentially a wannabe anime. The Haydonites were predictable - largely because of the way they were portrayed.

When your "allies" appear veiled in blood red shades and hues with ominous music in the background gathered conspiratorial like around a dimly lit room - you kind of get the feeling they don't have the best of intentions.

I dunno - the voice acting was flatter than the english dubbed version of Macross Plus (which was atrocious)...

Americans ARE capable of creating great and lively animated characters - que Beast Wars - so I don't know why this came out so bad.

Scooter and his alien girlfriend's theme was kind of predictable. As was Ariel's saving the life of the Invid hating kid I'm supposed to identify with.

I dunno.

I read on some forum that everybody was waiting and hoping for a resolution of the hanging plot theme which was the missing SDF1 - nad really, at the end fo the day - Shadow Chronicles resolved NOTHING.

We KNOW that the Invid are defeated at Reflex point - knew that before Shadow Chronicles.

We KNOW that the SDF-1 is missing and being sucked into a black hole - knew that before Shadow Chronicles

So at the end of Shadow Chronicles - all that we know which is new is that the erstwhile nice guy Haydonites are actually evil one eyed bums who we must slaughter.

Over all - I was not impressed.

Actually - it kind of made me GLAD that Kawamori doesn't feel the need to yield to fan pressure and revisit his past sagas.

I'm happy that there's no "resolution" to SDF Macross, and that we won't find out what happened to Sara and Shin, and so forth and so on.

There's such a thing as closing a chapter and letting it be. Shadow Chronicle kind of shows that when you try to create a continuation to "tie things up" you just end up kind of crudding all over the previous works...

I dunno - what can I say? It's not Macross. It's an American attempt at bringing elements of Japanese anime over, Americanizing them and therefore making them COOOLER!!

It doesn't work. Japanese Anime is best when it is ...Japanese Anime. There's lots of cool, originally American stuff out there - and as I've said before - I appreciate that in the 80s, with no Internet, people wanted to expose Americans to cool Japanse anime.

But nowadays there's no need for Americanized Japanese anime - better to just enjoy the subtitled versions :)

VFTF1

Robotech: Shadow Chronicles is pretty forgettable if you ask me.

I believe it was mostly Koreans doing the art/animation (they were on a low budget, so they couldn't afford Japanese dudes)...

Anyways, I'm gonna watch the entire Robotech series; then purchase the Japanese version. It better be good or I'm gonna have a boxing match with you all!!!! =) I'm gonna miss the Robotech soundtrack tho...

IS the music in the Macross the same as Macross (movie)?

And which version of the Japanese Macross do I get? I see one that has both the new english dub and the Japanese audio, then another one, then another (the black box expensive one)! Which one is remastered the best?

Edited by fifbeat

Americans ARE capable of creating great and lively animated characters - que Beast Wars - so I don't know why this came out so bad.

Bit OT, but Beast Wars was Canadian. (sorry, i'm a lil too proud of our small contribution to animation)

Anyway...

Never saw the entire Macross Saga of RT. I guess after you see the original, you cant sit through how bad they redid it. I had the patience to sit through the other 2 arcs and ... well the 'SDF 1' (not Macross to RT) turned into 3 hills...

And RT:SC wasnt that bad. Other American animators can watch it to learn what not to do when making a mock-anime movie/series.

If you're looking to buy the Real Macross, i can vouch for the Animeigo version. It doesnt have an English audio track or any extras, but its really cheap and apparently the audio and video are higher quality than the ADV release.

Edited by RDClip

If you're looking to buy the Real Macross, i can vouch for the Animeigo version. It doesnt have an English audio track or any extras, but its really cheap and apparently the audio and video are higher quality than the ADV release.

Werd. Thanks.

Actually - it kind of made me GLAD that Kawamori doesn't feel the need to yield to fan pressure and revisit his past sagas.

Really? Then what was he doing with Macross Plus, Macross 7, Macross Zero, and Macross Frontier?

At least he didn't cock it up like the first 20 minutes of Shadow Chronicles.

I dunno about that. Macross 7 is pretty cocked-up no matter which part you look at...

Plus, the first 20 minutes of Shadow Chronicles was alrightish. I enjoyed the space battle at any rate.

The first twenty minutes of Shadow Chronicles is more or less a re-cap of the end of New Generation.

I only ever owned the Protoculture Edition of Robotech, and I really enjoyed the set. It had all the extras I would have been interested in. I found it for $90 used at a SunCoast a few years back, and that's what pretty much brought me back into Macross. The set still tends to be pretty expensive for some reason.

Hated how they changed the sound of the Gunpod, that was uncalled for. I saw a preview of the "updated" release and MEH!

Thats the problem as soon as any program is "Remastered" for Dolby 10.5 million with 200 speaker surround sound or whatever crap. It means that most of the time they go back and rip out all the original sound effects that you might happen to know and love and replace them with *special* (often very generic) sound effects that are designed to make your sub woofer make big noises.

The gunpods on robotech are a good example (they just sound like normal machine guns now don't they?), but don't worry, they also stuff around like this with "BIG" releases.

In the Special Edition DVD release of the movie "The Terminator", they remastered the sound. As a result they took out all of the original gunshot sound effects ( most of which were really distinctive and tried to reflect the nature of the different weapons being used) and replaced them with ones similar to what you hear in the remastered Robotech. It makes the movie quite unwatchable if you are really familiar with the original version.

Original version of Tech noir shootout.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOb8NC708_c...feature=related

Remastered version of Tech Noir shootout

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVfnfxgG6jg

Its a terrible practice and I am surprised that people don't complain about it more.

Taksraven.

Its a terrible practice and I am surprised that people don't complain about it more.

Taksraven.

Sometimes they do...look at the Gundam Movie Trilogy...in 2000, they came out with the DVD "special edition," with new sound effects and re-recorded voices. But for those who grew up on Gundam, it just sounded...wrong. So late last year, they finally released the original versions. It took a while, but at least it happened...

Thats the problem as soon as any program is "Remastered" for Dolby 10.5 million with 200 speaker surround sound or whatever crap. It means that most of the time they go back and rip out all the original sound effects that you might happen to know and love and replace them with *special* (often very generic) sound effects that are designed to make your sub woofer make big noises.

The gunpods on robotech are a good example (they just sound like normal machine guns now don't they?), but don't worry, they also stuff around like this with "BIG" releases.

In the Special Edition DVD release of the movie "The Terminator", they remastered the sound. As a result they took out all of the original gunshot sound effects ( most of which were really distinctive and tried to reflect the nature of the different weapons being used) and replaced them with ones similar to what you hear in the remastered Robotech. It makes the movie quite unwatchable if you are really familiar with the original version.

Original version of Tech noir shootout.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOb8NC708_c...feature=related

Remastered version of Tech Noir shootout

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVfnfxgG6jg

Taksraven.

Yeah, well we all know they suck big ones, but taking out the awesome GU brruuurrhhhhhrrrrr ... *shakes head*

There was a Macross DVD set (TV) being sold at valkyrie-exchange.com.

Has anyone bought the set from him?

I know, I know... (they're probably not original!)

BUT, they're cheaper than the Animego versions.

Basically, was wondering what the quality AND subtitles were like on the particular set that he had in stock. If anyone has ordered these please let me know.

Thanks in advance! =)

Been watching ROBOTECH lately... you now, the dubbing isn't bad; and the music is, for the most part, awesome (except a few tunes that get kinda annoying...)...

Some of the most annoying songs are from Southern Cross dub.

Mostly all of the Robotech tunes are really good! :-)

I have the Robotech 20th Anniv. CD and some of the orchestrated music is really good. I really like the piano-based songs like The Way to Love and Minucci's We Will Win is actually dramatic.

I totally hate most of Robotech's cheesy ass music.

The me who lost

the me who lost his heart

to you who tore my heart

apart

if you still think of me

how did we come to this?

wish that I knew

it was me that you miss

wish that I knew

it was me that you miss

Okay I'll admit I like most of Robotech's music even the cheezy stuff... nostalgia I guess... most of the BGM is actually great though.