A Gundam Newbie

Would someone direct me to any websites with galleries of custom built/painted Gundam models (other than dalong.net)? Thanks in advance.
Here are some to start that I've had bookmarks for for awhile:

http://members.xoom.alice.it/_XOOM/neozeonforge/Gallery.htm (my avatar's origin :D )

http://www.mechamaniac.com/gallery.htm

http://www.fichtenfoo.com/index.php

Gundam noob question.

Do I have to watch the whole 0079 series or do the 3 movies make pretty good cliffnotes? :unsure:

( I REALLY hate dubs ) :angry:

The 3 movies will suffice plenty. In fact, it's probably better to watch the movies as they feature better animation and is seen as more canon than the TV series.

Oh, and if you can afford it, get the Remastered DVD box set.. It comes with English subtitles and most importantly the original mono audio track. All U.S. DVD releases have the crappy "special edition" 5.1 audio track.

Edited by Vifam7

The 3 movies will suffice plenty. In fact, it's probably better to watch the movies as they feature better animation and is seen as more canon than the TV series.

Oh, and if you can afford it, get the Remastered DVD box set.. It comes with English subtitles and most importantly the original mono audio track. All U.S. DVD releases have the crappy "special edition" 5.1 audio track.

Thanks for the info! ^_^

Gundam noob question.

Do I have to watch the whole 0079 series or do the 3 movies make pretty good cliffnotes? :unsure:

I'll say it again:

http://www.geocities.com/sixtydeuce/sixtyd...roductions.html

He's fansubbing the whole series (he's doing it by himself, though...so the wait between episodes is...long. He's almost done though).

The movies are fine if you just want to get the story, but I think they're terrible as movies. Since they're just mashed-up episodes you'll hit a climax, and think the movie is over, and then it goes on...you hit another climax, and think that now it's GOTTA be over, and then it goes on...and just at a point where there is no climax, they just stop abruptly.

Of course, this doesn't apply to the third one, which has a deifnite ending. And that ending is well worth it.

Gundam noob question.

If you don't like the designs simply watch the movies and you'll be ok. The original series can come off as quite dated now and we wouldn't want that to deter you from watching some of the newer better series. 0079 has a great plot and by watching the movies you'll miss out on some of the lesser seen mobile suits and even some aces but if you just want the general idea the movies are fine. You could always fill in the gaps with the episode synopses found on the web.

Once you get to Zeta Gundam in the timeline you'll know if you really like universal century gundam or not. If you do like it, then you'll try getting all the games, models, and other junk the rest of us are obsessed with. If you don't like it then you try some of the other universes like CE or AC.

Now time to go back to my new Remote control haro from gundam. B))

gabbed a couple more kits; The 1/100 MG Destiny Gundam, and the Gundam Mk2 - AEUG Prototype RX-178. Ive started on the Mk2, which seems larger than the otehr gundams in 1/100 scale. is the MG 1/100 strictly accurate, or more of a "pretty close" kinda of scale.

Also gott o see the 1/60 Exia in person; if it is 1/60 and so is the VF-0 then its a BIG Robot. Yet to watch them on screen i wouldnt have thought it that much larger than a zero. To be fair i havent compared the 2 side by side, but it certainly LOOKED bigger.

gabbed a couple more kits; The 1/100 MG Destiny Gundam, and the Gundam Mk2 - AEUG Prototype RX-178. Ive started on the Mk2, which seems larger than the otehr gundams in 1/100 scale. is the MG 1/100 strictly accurate, or more of a "pretty close" kinda of scale.

Also gott o see the 1/60 Exia in person; if it is 1/60 and so is the VF-0 then its a BIG Robot. Yet to watch them on screen i wouldnt have thought it that much larger than a zero. To be fair i havent compared the 2 side by side, but it certainly LOOKED bigger.

The scale is pretty accurate...but if you think the Mk. II is big, try the Nu Gundam...or the Sazabi!

That's "anime magic" at work.

When dealing with anime robots, it's best not to get too concerned with scale and wonder if the size is correct. Those dimensions laid out in data books and whatnot were fabricated out of thin air. And so when they make scale models from such "data", you're bound to see some weirdness. And I'm sure when they design these robot models, the scale or size is probably fudged around a bit just to make the toy "look right".

Edited by Vifam7

Ahh...so 00 played its part to suck in this poor soul into Gundam. I wonder when the G-man will get sucked into Gundam too. :lol:

Never!

I tried getting into 00 a few months ago, but just couldn't. There was nothing about it I found likeable or attention grabbing.

After the Macross Frontier Deculture episode aired last December (and after watching it about 20 times), I found myself wanting a mecha anime fix to get me through until April when the Frontier TV series started.

So despite not liking what I'd seen of the 00 mecha or character designs in the hobby mags, I decided to give it a shot and downloaded the first 5 fansubbed episodes. After all, quite a lot of members of this forum had praised the series.

I think the Deculture edition really spolied me, as 00 by comparison seemed just so average and dull.

Apart from my namesake character, I didn't find any of the characters interesting. Neither did I care what happened to them next. I really disliked the mecha designs. The story didn't draw me in at all. The action scenes were really dull, with boring fight choreography IMO and the music was nothing special. I also thought the animation quality only deserved a 'poor-to-average' rating.

Last Gundam show I really liked was 08th MST.

Graham

See, Im the reverse of Graham. I really liked the characters, the situation, the aniomation etc. As i said, its what hooked me after all these years of not liking Gundam designs.

Macross is to different to Gundam for me to compare. It just FEELS different. Ill always like it more.

On the model kit front botht eh Destiny and 178 I grabbed are really nice! Still working on Destiny but 178 is done. Looks awesome! The inner leg mechanisms for making the armour move around properly when the legs shift is incredibly well designed! And all togeher you can get soime AMAZING poses with these guys!

The one bain of my existance continues to be those press on....decals i guess they are? Its so hard to get them on and straight and once u cock it up thats it!

• 2 weeks later...
Ok heres a new one: has anyone had a piece missing froma kit before? i have a Wing Zero Ver Ka which is missing a part of one of the shoulder pads.

Does Bandai replace parts of kits?

I had a gouf MG kit that was missing part of its head...I was so pissed. I still have found a way to get a replacement.

Ok heres a new one: has anyone had a piece missing froma kit before? i have a Wing Zero Ver Ka which is missing a part of one of the shoulder pads.

Does Bandai replace parts of kits?

Bandai does replace parts but not for folks outside Japan.

It is always important to check the contents of a kit before you start building it. In fact that is the first and immediate thing I do when I get a kit. Look at the booklet and check the runners. If there is a piece missing, try contacting your seller.

Edited by Vifam7