Live Action Movie

evirus

first of all, opinions on anime to live action aside, (assuming good quality in other words) what would you like to see in a live action retelling of the macross storyline, what would you include even if its not directly seen in the series(something you might want to add, like references to the blue angels for example)?

As a franchise, I'd start with an adaptation of Zero followed by 2-3 films about Space War 1 then possibly stories about the many colonial conflicts between SDFM and Plus, even including various genres within the universe...

The universe is so vast, there are tons of room for fresh new stories...

As a franchise, I'd start with an adaptation of Zero followed by 2-3 films about Space War 1 then possibly stories about the many colonial conflicts between SDFM and Plus, even including various genres within the universe...

The universe is so vast, there are tons of room for fresh new stories...

Why not just start with DYRL scene-for-scene (since its a masterpiece). If that looks great and sells tickets add zero as a prequel and maybe macross plus. Probably do the plus movie first then zero.

Why not just start with DYRL scene-for-scene (since its a masterpiece). If that looks great and sells tickets add zero as a prequel and maybe macross plus. Probably do the plus movie first then zero.

if they can make a six hour movie about a ship that sinks they can make a six hour movie about space war one! granted a number of scenes from DYRL would fit, but i wouldn't say they should be restricted to just those.

Since Hikaru is Japanese, cast a Japanese actor. Same for all parts that are Japanese. Asians in cinema in general have been poorly represented in Hollywood. I can just see them casting a caucasian actor and calling him Rick.

(assuming you mean an American production and not Japanese that is :rolleyes: )

Edited by Alex

I would include matches to burn every print of it!

I would prefer ripping it apart, crushing it, burning it, and finally recycled as Macross toys for sin atonement.

---Sorry, currently high on cafein ---

If I were a big Hollywood executive, I'd probably go to the Hory Froating Head himself and say, "You've got a Hollywood blockbuster budget, you've got the best CGI and special effects people in the business, you've got the final say on everything, and you're retelling Space War I in a two-and-a-half to three-hour movie. Go to town."

Then I might respectfully suggest that he use DYRL as a basis, but shorten the scenes of Hikaru and Misa wandering around on Earth.

Also, depending on who they cast as Minmay, I might insist that the shower scene stays.

And then, if it's successful, I'd REALLY throw a ton of money at him and say, "You've got an even BIGGER budget, MORE special effects people, and final say on everything, and we're all DYING to know what happened to the Megaroad-01."

Maybe the Megaroad attempted a fold, it went wrong, and the entire crew got blasted into a Hell dimension inhabited by Lawrence Fishburne and Sam Neil.

Now that would be an interesting movie.

I wouldn't mind if they followed the same concept of the Transformer movie and totally create a new story. The Macross saga as it is is too convoluted for a 2 hour film let alone be something appealing to the general public. As long as the movie has jets, jets that turn into robots and explosions... people will come.

I wouldn't mind if they followed the same concept of the Transformer movie and totally create a new story. The Macross saga as it is is too convoluted for a 2 hour film let alone be something appealing to the general public. As long as the movie has jets, jets that turn into robots and explosions... people will come.

Not sure whether the concept of big green giants will translate across in the big screen. The non-macross fan would find Zentraedi laughable.

And if there are no Zentraedi, why would UN Spacy bother to make valkyries transform into robots...

all in all, I think it would be quite hard to pull off Macross in a live-action movie. The suspension of disbelief bar is too high.

Now, if they did a 25 part series, with some history behind the Zentraedi slowly unfolding every episode, and the need for valkyries to transform into big robots (hand to hand combat) I think that could work. Otherwise it could end up like that Gundam live action movie (G-Savior) - more of a fanboy movie, which wld mean no sequels.

Just my 2 cts

Yeah. Toby Maguire is developing it last i heard through his Maguire production company..

I won't worry too much about that production if I were you, unless you're a really hardcore fan of Robotech. Production of movies usually an excess of two years and that usually only accounts for the pre-production, that's before they even warm up the cameras to start shooting. Being a probably CGI intensive movie you can easily add another year/year and a half to two for post production. So basically it's not going to show up anytime soon.

Of course this is if everything goes right and the greenlight is given. As it is I don't even think that greenlight has been given yet, it probably isn't even at a state to be reviewed for the go-ahead yet.

Anime to live-action movies has never had a good record of actually being made in Hollywood anyway. The Yamato/Starblazers movie idea has been doing the rounds in Hollywood since the late 80's, EVA since the start of this new century, both are currently in development hell. Heck, if you check in some movie databases you'd see that there was even a Macross live action movie that never took off the ground.

Then again there are two movies that are based on anime that are coming out in the not too distant future. One of which is Dragon Ball, which is still currently being shot and the other is Speed Racer which I believe is in the last stages of post production, you can probably find the trailer for that one around easily.

These however are exceptional examples since Speed Racer is being made by the Wachowskis' of the Matrix fame who due to the financial success of their movies are given a free reign to greenlit their projects, in this case being Speed Racer. In Dragon Ball's case it is being exec produced by Stephen Chow, who gave us Shaolin Soccer and Kungfu Hustle, it's success in the Western market, on top of being made rather cheaply compared to Hollywood production costs was no doubt what enticed the investors to give that movie the greenlight.

You can of course include Crying Freeman, Guyver and Fist of the North Star if you want but they were actually low budget movies, something I doubt a Robotech or Macross live action would ever be if it ever want to look right.

So basically that Robotech may never even happen with the movie industry being the way it is.

And just to stay on topic: Transformable Valks and a carrier space battle are a must. That way they can have a cat & mouse engagement with only just two ships if need be, which would help with the CG budget, with most of the battles being fought by the fighter units. You know, this pretty much makes me wish I could see the incident in which Global's first space command's engagement against the anti-UN rebels that hijacked another ship that was mentioned in the timelines.

Edited by Strumvogel

stupidity

I would include matches to burn every print of it!

I would prefer ripping it apart, crushing it, burning it, and finally recycled as Macross toys for sin atonement.

---Sorry, currently high on cafein ---

Not sure whether the concept of big green giants will translate across in the big screen. The non-macross fan would find Zentraedi laughable.

all in all, I think it would be quite hard to pull off Macross in a live-action movie. The suspension of disbelief bar is too high.

Just my 2 cts

/stupidity

its nice to know how many people bother to read the first post before making comments!