Neat little find: Super Condor in Mospeada

The Condor's designation is AS-C03 where as the Legioss is AFC-01. Even the designations point to the Condor being a simple Armo-Soldier where the Legioss is their first variable Armo-Fighter. I really don't see how you can count locking the arms and legs in place as making the Condor a variable fighter.

While I agree its a cool discovery, and a lot of effort on 1BRD's part (kudos), I don't think it really is variable. I mean, it locks its arms to its sides and its legs go from pointing down so it can walkee-walkee to pointing straight backwards so it can flyee-flyee.

Thats like saying I transform when I sit down.

Thats like saying I transform when I sit down.

Mmmm... that would make life a lot cooler :lol:

"Honey, transform and eat your dinner."

"Mind if I transform? I need to go to the mens room."

"I'm beat; need to transform on the sofa for a while."

*grumble* dang firewall at work

Thanks for this discover, beautiful pic and link.

It always a pleasure to find another Mospeada artwork.

I'm very interested by this Super Condor.

Maybe is it possible to have an another bigger scan of this page, and maybe someone could translate it?

Animec, can't remember which issue.

I'd like to buy this Animec, only for this page, so i really appreciate if you could find which issue is it please! :)

Thanks.

akim.

Maybe is it possible to have an another bigger scan of this page, and maybe someone could translate it?
For the heck of it, I ran the scan of the Animec article past my friends for translation.

It must have been published after the show was canceled, because the article laments what could have been if the show had more support. It says that the first episode of the show was going to feature the first drop operation on Earth, the one that failed. It also refers to the Condor as an "Armo-Soldier."

The caption under the larger Condor illustration at the bottom, though, refers to it as an "Armo-Fighter," but nowhere in the article is the word "henkei" (transformation) used. All it says is that it's a Condor with space booster installed, from the first drop operation. The caption under the flying one says that the three boxes on the top are missile packs.

The illustration above and to the left (the one that was turned into a painting for the episode about Yellow's girlfriend) says that it shows Condors inside Earth's atmosphere with the space boosters detached.

I thought that the blocky, crude version of the Condor that appears in the Animec article was done by an in-house artist, but looking through the Imai material that I have, I found it twice. One is an "image illustration" that has it dropping through the clouds inside the atmosphere, the other is one that sort of establishes a visual vocabulary for the little greeblies on the human mecha. It has two names on that sheet: Condor B-1 and Jackal A-G. There's also a shot with the cockpit popped open that shows It's also very small, maybe only the size of a Scopedog.

Nothing about it being variable, though. To me it really doesn't look like it was intended to transform. I also really prefer the finished line art of it that was used in the show, much more consistent with the style that the Artmic team developed for the human mecha, and you can see the kinship between it and the Legioss and TLEAD.

IMO, the "nose" cockpit implies it transforms. If it were non-transformable, I'd expect a robot mode... well, more like the Legioss has, really.

But the existence of wings on the Condor does a lot more than just IMPLY that it transforms.

No designer of any repute would put wings on the back of a mech that can't use them in some capacity. It HAS to have some sort of air mode, if only a GERWALK equivalent.

Of course, they DID claim the Legioss was a valid aircraft, so... maybe they aren't designers of repute. :p

And the Super Condor apparently is a condor with a booster clipped over the back... could be something like Macross' GBP armor. Improves performance in a specific mode at the cost of transformation.

Oh they're just being polite.

Thanks Roger for your quick translation and all your added information !!

I'll keep hope to find references of this Animec.

I've searched on the web and found several pics of this Super Condor (and some old topics):

One in the Artmic Design Works (if someone has better pics i'll take it:) ),

p116777201774.jpg

Artmic

This is the same with translation of name:

mospeada-1.gif

Morgenstern

We can see on left a sketch of Super Condor...

Also i've found another pic on "zer0takuher0' album" in photobucket site, thanks to him:

On the left page, we can see the same super condor seen in Animec...

shadowrobotech002.jpg

zer0takuher0 album

shadowrobotech003.jpg

zer0takuher0 album

Another shot:

shadowrobotech001.jpg

I really don't know where these illustrations come from ?

Someone has a idea?

I thought that the blocky, crude version of the Condor that appears in the Animec article was done by an in-house artist, but looking through the Imai material that I have, I found it twice. One is an "image illustration" that has it dropping through the clouds inside the atmosphere, the other is one that sort of establishes a visual vocabulary for the little greeblies on the human mecha. It has two names on that sheet: Condor B-1 and Jackal A-G. There's also a shot with the cockpit popped open that shows It's also very small, maybe only the size of a Scopedog.

Well, thanks for looking in your beautiful material, hope one day we could appreciate it totally...in a artbook why not ;)

Bests regards.

akim.

Edited by akim

4) told me why it mattered if Tommy Yune recognized it or why Paladium, or any Mwer, should care.

...we're on a messageboard based off obsessing about tiny details of an anime series that gets updated every five years or so. No internet-coolguys around here. I for one am happy to see "new" things from a series related to Macross due to shotgun-wedding

Mmmm... that would make life a lot cooler

"Honey, transform and eat your dinner."

"Mind if I transform? I need to go to the mens room."

"I'm beat; need to transform on the sofa for a while."

...your farts generate enough thrust for powered flight?! :o

Edited by Wes

Well, i've an idea but it needs to be confirmed:

In zer0takuher0 album, we see these pictures are taken in May 2007.

We also see others pics... maybe from this same book... and we see a cover of Hobby Japan 06/2007...

Maybe they are taken from Hobby Japan 06/2007?

There no evidence ...but why not?

So if someone could verify/confirm or deny it comes from Hobby Japan of June 2007, it will be great!!!

akim.

Wow, that "Tiger" looks uncannily like a Southern Cross Sparta/Hover Tank. And the legs are so Macross Monster-ish. I'm surprised Robotech didn't swipe the art and declare it an experimental Hover Tank/Mac II Monster/Beta developmental hybrid design.

They did in one of the Wildstorm comic books.

They did in one of the Wildstorm comic books.

Not quite. Tommy put a pair of Tigers in the same frames as the Air Defense variant of the Spartas (which would make it not a Hovertank per se). The artwork for all 3 modes is available and they don't in any form resemble the completed Tiger. There is also the fact that even in Battloid mode, the variant Spartas is somewhere around 4m shorter than the Tiger. The Gladiator mode, with the dual tri-barreled beam cannons, would only be about 4m in height. That is a far cry from the Tiger.

Veritech_Self_Propelled_Artillery__03_.bmp

post-646-1203995859_thumb.jpg

post-646-1203995887_thumb.jpg

post-646-1203995906_thumb.gif

I'm interested in that as well. It looks like something I'd want to track down.

Carl

Well, it's confirmed:

Pictures come from Hobby Japan magazine of June 2007!!

Found this link who contains same artwork:

Mospeada / Super Condor lineart

Have you read the article?

Happy to find and list another book who contains Mospeada lineart...

If someone could make a beautiful scan of these pages??

Thanks.

akim.

Not quite. Tommy put a pair of Tigers in the same frames as the Air Defense variant of the Spartas (which would make it not a Hovertank per se). The artwork for all 3 modes is available and they don't in any form resemble the completed Tiger. There is also the fact that even in Battloid mode, the variant Spartas is somewhere around 4m shorter than the Tiger. The Gladiator mode, with the dual tri-barreled beam cannons, would only be about 4m in height. That is a far cry from the Tiger.

I think you are right. I'll have to double check when I get home...

To me, the Condor is a transformable fighter; a crude attempt that was later refined into the Legioss. If you view it as a transition between a fighter and the complex Legioss, it makes perfect sense. As for it being un-areodynamic, the Mospeada world has already established with the Tread that they care little about wind resistance as long as they have lots of thrust. The "flying" mode is no sillier than the current "Flags" in Gundam OO. Thank you 1st Border Red Devil for all the pics. I rather like this ugly little mech.

Wow, that "Tiger" looks uncannily like a Southern Cross Sparta/Hover Tank. And the legs are so Macross Monster-ish. I'm surprised Robotech didn't swipe the art and declare it an experimental Hover Tank/Mac II Monster/Beta developmental hybrid design.

Here is the pic from the comic. Where it fits into mecha continuity, only Tommy Yune knows ;)

tiger.JPG

Here is the pic from the comic. Where it fits into mecha continuity, only Tommy Yune knows ;)

I believe the Mospeada 'Destroids' are either supposed to completely replace The Sentinels upgraded Destroids (Excaliber, Gladiator, Little Monster, Catapult/Raider and Shark), or else supplant them in the TO&E of the UEEF. Basically, if the old Sentinels models survive the continuity hatchet, they will likely be pushed back in terms of development/deployment to about (if I had to guess) 2013/2014 and then phased out starting in 2031/2032 in favour of the Tiger, Boxer, Jaguar and Cougar.

We need obscure/fleeting designs/characters in anime AND SF in general.

Look at the bounty hunters in Empire Strikes Back. Just by seeing these characters for a FEW SECONDS in the movie (except for Mr Fett of course), fan fiction writers have managed to pad out the entire careers of these guys.

We love this sort of stuff. Speculation, wondering about filling in the gaps, explaining things that the filmmakers and writers could not be bothered doing.

Taksraven

It just occured to me a short while ago that there is no visible means of ingress or egress for the pilot of the 'Super Condor'. There is no canopy, no means of visual detection. It would be like flying a submarine, something I doubt you could get very many pilots to want to do. Also, the leg, chest and upper arm assembly's are different from that of the Condor. Sort of like how the Shadow Drone is different from the Shadow Fighter. So, why wouldn't it make sense for Mars Base to deploy a Drone version of their Condor? They had to know they could never reach parity with the Invid in terms of numbers unless they had AI-controlled mecha.

VA-5CondorVQ-5CondorDrone01.jpg