About Millia 639 (Miria) in Macross 7

Isamu test pilot

Okay, wait let me rephrase that. "I have yet to see a real woman pull off Mai Shiranui or Tifa Lockheart's gravity defying boobs while keeping those slim figures, while having a nice face." The ones I have seen had rather plain homely faces.

Now the question. Does Miria (okay Millia, Milia, you guys happy?) have naturally green hair?

oh man, i can't believe you live in Southern California and haven't seen stuff like that. Wait... what do you mean by "real" woman? 100% real or 90% real? Because that could be the problem. lol.

I figured it was naturally green, but didn't rule out completely the possibility that maybe some zentraedi dye their hair possibly as some kind of mark of distinguishment.

:lol: well eugimon, I don't see many thin gals around with huge tracts of land. Now Paris on the other hand, lots of thin women, some quite well endowed. But, none that can pull off the anti-grav effect, and not many that were really attractive. :p Then again, I'm a picky man.

I have to wonder though, how many more Mirias are out there. :D It's a pleasant thought.

I'm used to reading it in katakana, not in romaji/English. I am used to seeing Minmay written that way due to illustrations. I'll continue with the "r" spelling that I am comfortable with, not because of Robotech, but because I'm used to hearing it spoken in Japanese as "Miria".

I've also seen on the 1/60 VF-1J, 1/48 VF-1J, and 1/60 Q-rau that they're all designated as "Miria".

Yeah I've seen that too. Not only on the toys but model kit packaging as well.

They often spell it phonetically in marketing situations. Which I'm sure causes them many problems (ever hear how they pronounce Eureka from Eureka 7? Yikes!!! - Then Bandai instructed their English voice actors to do the same!!! Ruins the English dub for me entirely!... Granted its an Italian word, but only 1 of the Japanese voice cast actually knew how to properly pronounce it.)

Edited by Zinjo

Yeah I've seen that too. Not only on the toys but model kit packaging as well.

They often spell it phonetically in marketing situations. Which I'm sure causes them many problems (ever hear how they pronounce Eureka from Eureka 7? Yikes!!! - Then Bandai instructed their English voice actors to do the same!!! Ruins the English dub for me entirely!... Granted its an Italian word, but only 1 of the Japanese voice cast actually knew how to properly pronounce it.)

How do they pronounce it?

Erikia... It also depends on the actor, as there are different variations on the same basic pronounciation... :p It's like watching the ADV dub of Macross and the actors pronouncing Hikaru as Hik'a ru or Macross as Mah' cross...

Doesn't anyone bother to learn how to properly pronounce foreign language names in anymore? <_<

A) Thanks for making this thread creepy, guys. B) When did anyone EVER bother to learn to pronounce foreign words correctly? It's not like Japanese people can pronounce western words correctly.

OK...

How do most of us pronounce "macross"

Mack Ross?

Ma Cross?

Macku rohs?

And how is it pronounced in Nipon?

A) Thanks for making this thread creepy, guys. B) When did anyone EVER bother to learn to pronounce foreign words correctly? It's not like Japanese people can pronounce western words correctly.

That's what I want to know?

Am I a mutant to want to do such things? :blink:

Actually one actress did pronounce Eureka correctly and I was almost floored... The part that confused me is that it isn't that far removed from "Uriko", a common Japanese name.... An unfamiliar sounding term I'd understand. The voice director was asleep at the wheel I think...

Edited by Zinjo

I pronounce it: "Mack-ross" in one smooth word.

For fun I sometimes yell out: "ma-ku-ross-u" with an almost silent "u" at the end, imitating what I hear in the anime.

that's how I pronounce it. If the japanese can butcher english to make it more palatable to them, they won't mind when I do the same. :p

OK...

How do most of us pronounce "macross"

Mack Ross?

Ma Cross?

Macku rohs?

And how is it pronounced in Nipon?

In Nippon, it's pronounced as: Mah-koo-roh-ss.

To further clarify, the vowels are pronounced as follows:

a = a in father.

u = u in plume (except for the final u vowel, which for ease of a native English speaker, is unpronounced).

o = o in home.

マクロス = Makurosu.

As for my pronunciation, it depends whom I'm with. If it's another native English speaker (especially those who most likely know about Macross via Robotech), I pronounce it as "Mah-cross", if it's anyone else (especially here in Japan, where saying it any other way will lead to misunderstanding), I pronounce it the same as it's said in Japan.

A note on phonetics: native English speakers focus more on the consonant sounds (thus "no" and "nooooooooooo" are the same word, albiet with different emphasis.) Japanese focus on the vowel sounds (thus "ie" and "iie" are different (house, and no, respectively.)

As an example, if you went into a coffee shop in an English country, and only pronounced the consonants K-f, you'll be virtually understood. However, in Japan if you said o-ii (from kohii), you'd also be virtually understood.

Therefore, when it comes to words like Macross and Miria, at least when in Japan and/or when speaking to native Japanese speakers, take care of the vowels! They are more important than the consonants! (If one says Mi-i-a (mee-ee-ah), they'd be understood probably better than if they said "mi-li-ya (mee-lee-ya). The pronunciation of Miria having a similiar tongue position to mi-i-a makes any differences moot between the two.)

Edited by sketchley

In Nippon, it's pronounced as: Mah-koo-roh-ss.

To further clarify, the vowels are pronounced as follows:

a = a in father.

u = u in plume (except for the final u vowel, which for ease of a native English speaker, is unpronounced).

o = o in home.

マクロス = Makurosu.

As for my pronunciation, it depends whom I'm with. If it's another native English speaker (especially those who most likely know about Macross via Robotech), I pronounce it as "Mah-cross", if it's anyone else (especially here in Japan, where saying it any other way will lead to misunderstanding), I pronounce it the same as it's said in Japan.

A note on phonetics: native English speakers focus more on the consonant sounds (thus "no" and "nooooooooooo" are the same word, albiet with different emphasis.) Japanese focus on the vowel sounds (thus "ie" and "iie" are different (house, and no, respectively.)

As an example, if you went into a coffee shop in an English country, and only pronounced the consonants K-f, you'll be virtually understood. However, in Japan if you said o-ii (from kohii), you'd also be virtually understood.

Therefore, when it comes to words like Macross and Miria, at least when in Japan and/or when speaking to native Japanese speakers, take care of the vowels! They are more important than the consonants! (If one says Mi-i-a (mee-ee-ah), they'd be understood probably better than if they said "mi-li-ya (mee-lee-ya). The pronunciation of Miria having a similiar tongue position to mi-i-a makes any differences moot between the two.)

Cool!

Thanks for the lesson... :D

I pronunce it "Mah-Crow-ss" at all points in time!

As for inconsistant spellings in the original series, both spellings of "Minmei/Minmay" are actually correct.

Stage: Lynn Minmay

I pronunce it "Mah-Crow-ss" at all points in time!

As for inconsistant spellings in the original series, both spellings of "Minmei/Minmay" are actually correct.

Stage: Lynn Minmay

Where's that from?

I have not seen Eureka 7 but I'm sad to hear they couldn't come up with a good translation. how can you make a TV with a name borrowed form another language but not know how the word in pronounced? If I remember my college Nihongo then Yu Ri Ka should be very close and easily recognizable to english speakers.

Where's that from?

A combination of sources. The "Lynn Minmay" spelling didn't actually appear until after she became an idol, while the "Lin Minmei" spelling was indeed on her door. Reference matrials regarding her family & Kaifun also use the "Lin/Linn" spelling. The Macross 7 serial about her used "Lin Minmei" as well.

Basically, the only real times you see it spelled "Lynn Minmay" are autographs & show posters.

I pronounce it: "Mack-ross" in one smooth word.

For fun I sometimes yell out: "ma-ku-ross-u" with an almost silent "u" at the end, imitating what I hear in the anime.

Same here.

Except my "for fun" is "Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack-roooooooooooss" like at the end of the title sequence. :p

I have not seen Eureka 7 but I'm sad to hear they couldn't come up with a good translation. how can you make a TV with a name borrowed form another language but not know how the word in pronounced? If I remember my college Nihongo then Yu Ri Ka should be very close and easily recognizable to english speakers.

Quid pro quo - how many English speakers say things like karaoke, Toyota, and Mazda correctly? Mispronounced foreign words is a two-way street and English speakers are equally guilty.

As for why Eureka was mispronounced - perhaps the writer chose the title, but the ADR director and the voice actors pronounced it phonetically. The "yu" of Eu becomes eh-oo, and the "ri" of re becomes ray.

But then I have to question how it's written in Japanese, and that's as エウレカセブン. In other words, English speakers are applying their own pronunciation rules on a Japanese term. (Eh-oo-re-kah seh-boo-n) Therefore, it's you English speakers not reading it correctly and the Japanese have been correct all along. (This may be a case of a ficticious Japanese place name being similar to an English word when romanized.)

sketchley is correct in that the voice actors did pronounce it phonetically in Japanese which is why it is not pronounced correctly as per Greek (we adopted the word into english).. Only one knew how to pronounce the word correctly in Greek.

Eureka is actually Greek (my initial mistake) and made famous by the story of Archimedes, meaning "I found it".

It is pronounced "yoo-ree-kuh"

However I'd like to know how to properly pronounce common Japanese brand names that we take for granted.

Edited by Zinjo

Quid pro quo - how many English speakers say things like karaoke, Toyota, and Mazda correctly? Mispronounced foreign words is a two-way street and English speakers are equally guilty.

As for why Eureka was mispronounced - perhaps the writer chose the title, but the ADR director and the voice actors pronounced it phonetically. The "yu" of Eu becomes eh-oo, and the "ri" of re becomes ray.

But then I have to question how it's written in Japanese, and that's as エウレカセブン. In other words, English speakers are applying their own pronunciation rules on a Japanese term. (Eh-oo-re-kah seh-boo-n) Therefore, it's you English speakers not reading it correctly and the Japanese have been correct all along. (This may be a case of a ficticious Japanese place name being similar to an English word when romanized.)

Apples to oranges man. The name eureka was chosen by the japanese and then mangled. The Japanese chose karaoke, Toyota, Mazda, Sony, etc for americans to mangle.

Kidding aside, I have noticed a big double standard when it comes to these things. When that crap-fest "Rising Sun" came out and Connery butchered Japanese, all of my Japanese speaking friends were furious. Similarly upset with the Korean guy on Heroes or anytime someone without a perfect Japanese accent attempts the language. Same thing goes for my Korean friends. The scorn and laughter from that one James Bond movie had little to do with the cornball plot. And yet... and yet, when we watch Korean/Japanese dramas or anime and they feature non-english speakers butchering english, I'm not allowed to laugh.

Apples to oranges man. The name eureka was chosen by the japanese and then mangled. The Japanese chose karaoke, Toyota, Mazda, Sony, etc for americans to mangle.

Kidding aside, I have noticed a big double standard when it comes to these things. When that crap-fest "Rising Sun" came out and Connery butchered Japanese, all of my Japanese speaking friends were furious. Similarly upset with the Korean guy on Heroes or anytime someone without a perfect Japanese accent attempts the language. Same thing goes for my Korean friends. The scorn and laughter from that one James Bond movie had little to do with the cornball plot. And yet... and yet, when we watch Korean/Japanese dramas or anime and they feature non-english speakers butchering english, I'm not allowed to laugh.

Yep, sounds like a double standard to me.... :o

Are all of those Japanese and Korean speaking friends living in Japan and Korea, or are they residents (or immigrants) of your country? The social mores of one's place of residency tends to form one's own, after all. Those living in different countries and places are oft different.

For example, from what I heard, people in Japan were more amused about Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa's eating sushi and drinking sake off of naked woman, than they were put off by the film's anti-Japanese sentiments. There was no talk on Sean Connery's Japanese. Though my wife, when we recently watched the movie, was more amused by his (mis) pronounciation of Japanese, then upset by it.

I think being upset or put off at the mis-pronunciation of one's language is only a monolingual English speaker's cultural phenomenon. As, in my and many other people's experiences, the native speakers of non-English languages are generally very receptive and positive about someone's attempts to speak their language, no matter how accurate or otherwise the attempts are.

Are all of those Japanese and Korean speaking friends living in Japan and Korea, or are they residents (or immigrants) of your country? The social mores of one's place of residency tends to form one's own, after all. Those living in different countries and places are oft different.

For example, from what I heard, people in Japan were more amused about Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa's eating sushi and drinking sake off of naked woman, than they were put off by the film's anti-Japanese sentiments. There was no talk on Sean Connery's Japanese. Though my wife, when we recently watched the movie, was more amused by his (mis) pronounciation of Japanese, then upset by it.

I think being upset or put off at the mis-pronunciation of one's language is only a monolingual English speaker's cultural phenomenon. As, in my and many other people's experiences, the native speakers of non-English languages are generally very receptive and positive about someone's attempts to speak their language, no matter how accurate or otherwise the attempts are.

Maybe upset was too strong a word. Except for with one guy... he's a little uptight about how japanese should be spoken. More amused, sorta scornfull.

It's all around really. I've heard native korean/japanese in their respective countries get upset/ridicule accents. And I also have asian-american, both born overseas and born in america that care about stuff like that as well. Equally both koreans and japanese. oddly, when they can't understand the language they don't care as much. That is, my japanese friends don't care when a vietnamese actor shouts really bad korean and my korean friends don't care when they hear japanese butchered. Similarly, neither cared too much when they watched crouching tiger and had mandarin butchered. My friends from HK and Taiwan didn't care either, but the ones who actually spoke mandarin cared. All the american-asian ones care when someone makes fun of their english accent though, their common retort, "well let's hear YOUR <insert language>!"

All of us who studied german cringe when we watch Evangelion and hear the butchered german.

I don't have a point... only, the earliest form of humor that people respond to is when something is that should not be. So when you're familiar with something and you see it/hear it done incorrectly, amusement isn't that un-natural of a reaction. I guess, if you know what a certain language is supposed to sound like or if you've heard a word pronounced correctly and you hear it spoken incorrectly, humor, scorn, derision, these are pretty natural tendencies.

BTW, none of these people would mock or laugh at an actual person attempting their language. This sort of reaction is 100% reserved for the annonymous via movies/television/radio. A few of them work in the "industry" as well, so some of it has to do with, "Why can't they hire a japanese actress to play and a japanese character?"