Darker Than Black

wolfx

I totally skipped this last season but completed marathoning it today. This was one of the better anime this year IMHO, apart from Gurren Lagann of course. ;)

The show takes a 2 episode per arc format, sort of like Cowboy Bebop but with 2 episodes for an arc instead of 1. The setting, a not so distant future where some individuals have been discovered to have super-powers. The existence of these individuals known as Contractors are kept from public. Anyone who has come into contact with one will have his/her memories altered. Contractors are used as nations for covert killing missions due to their unique abilities as well as a convenient globally agreed intelligence blackout on their existence.

Each arc follows the missions of Hei, a member of a syndicate in the business of espionage and assasinations and his missions. As the story continues, the characters are thrown into a twisted tale of bleak hope, where nobody is your friend, and around every corner, there is only death.

Very awesome series and highly recommended. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darker_Than_Black

I just finished watching this series earlier this week myself.

I really loved how each Contractor had to make various remunerations for using thier powers. April definitely had the least troublesome one.

That said, poor guy in the 1s ep who had to break his fingers for his remunerations. :ph34r:

The remunerations bit reminds me of the sci-fi Ender Series where a genetically enhanced genius-caste were controlled by the planet's rulers by artificially causing them to have OCD remunerations. I think the a girl had to count the threads on a tatami-floor.

Yep, there are a LOT of groups for this. Started with one named "sudo" but dammed mkv files move jerky (and I thought I had the latest CCCP crap…).

I’ll try Shinsen/Syndicate if I can find the older episodes.

*edit*

Ok, found the first 10 ep and they are avi. I've never had problems with Shinsen's stuff so I hope these also work with my codecs.

Thanks guys

Edited by Twoducks

• 1 year later...

I'm calling it now:

"Normal" red head is also a contractor or has some kind of importance. And Masked dude is not BK201.

They've got a new music director, it's to Yoko any more...but apparently he was a member of the seatbelts...I liked what I heard in the episode too.

I'm calling it now:

"Normal" red head is also a contractor or has some kind of importance. And Masked dude is not BK201.

They've got a new music director, it's to Yoko any more...but apparently he was a member of the seatbelts...I liked what I heard in the episode too.

Suou is the actual meteor core and not Shion? She was glowing in the background when Shion was injured during the comet crash.

Nothing suggests that the masked dude isn't Hei though.

• 2 weeks later...

And so,

Chinese Electric Batman returns!

Although I haven't seen all of season one, I find season two alot more interesting because of the blank inbetween the two seasons... though a bit of that mystery was already dispelled by ep 3.

Edited by shiroikaze

Wow...the bodycount for DtB2 is pretty impressive. People just die mercilessly. Pretty awesome season so far. Good to see that

Mao is back

though i felt his return was kinda deus ex.

• 1 month later...

Just finished watching DtB 2 and I must say I'm disappointed. It's so different from DtB 1. Even though some characters return, they are quite different or play a minor role. (Kind of like Roy Fokker in Macross Zero -- not what you are expecting.)

Also, it is one long story arc spread over 12 episodes. It should make a better story if it were shorter -- maybe like the GitS SAC "movies". (The whole show is 4+ hours total. I'm thinking it can be cut down to 2-2.5 hours.)

... Black is technically not a color, as it's a description of a state in which a material absorbs all wavelengths from approximately 400 to 700 nm. A color would be defined as the reflection of a wavelength within that range by a given material. Since there is no reflection, and only absorption, it's not a color.

Oh.

Anyways - I read up about this anime on wiki. Sounds kind of boring - maybe it watches better. I'm not really clear on the concept...sounds a bit like the whole "power corrupts" or a dark twist on the concept of power creating responsibility....

Maybe I'll check it out on Youtube...but...I'm so behind...woefully horribly behind on everything....

Pete

1st season was pretty good...but the 2nd season just ended, and I felt the ending was really rushed and it felt...unfinished.

Sad really since the 1s season was one of the better anime of that time.

I really like second season mainly because of Suou and Hei. But yes, we need more than twelve episodes and more Chinese Electric Batman.

So.... season three please?

Also, I hear that the Blu-Ray boxset is selling really well.

Edited by shiroikaze

Anyways - I read up about this anime on wiki. Sounds kind of boring - maybe it watches better. I'm not really clear on the concept...sounds a bit like the whole "power corrupts" or a dark twist on the concept of power creating responsibility....

Season 1 or 2?

Season 1 uses a 2-episode per story format with a 3-episode final story for a total of 25 episodes. The stories are mostly standalone that reveal the world and build up the characters. From the middle part onwards, they also start to build towards the final story. There are 11 stories and they are all very good (YMMV). If you like the characters and the world, you'll wish the stories go on forever. Some people don't like this format because they advance the main story very slowly.

Season 2 has only one main story over 12 episodes. There are several side-stories that are resolved, but you never really feel for the minor characters because they are not built up sufficiently. The side stories feel like time-wasters.

Ep 1-3: introducing the characters and background

Ep 4-6: training and mission

Ep 7-8: travelling to Tokyo

Ep 9-10: searching for someone

Ep 11, 12: finally, we get to know what the whole show is about

Edited by nhyone

Ep 11, 12: finally, we get to know what the whole show is about

Did we? Cuz truthfully....i didn't get it.

Apparently more will be revealed in the OVAs that ppl are talking about. Stupid BONES and their marketing. :angry:

Did we? Cuz truthfully....i didn't get it.

You got Suou's story, right?

The Yin-stuff, as you mentioned, is deliberately obscured because there's a segment missing between season 1 and 2.

The episodes will be released on alternate DVDs. I must say it's an innovative way to ensure fans buy the DVDs.

I'm not sure I want to watch the OVA as they seem to be gloomy episodes.