Who is the best pilot in Macross universe

The Best Pilot in Macross Universe  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the Best Pilot in Macross Universe?

• Roy
    • Max
    • Hikaru
    • Millia
    • Isamu
    • Gould
    • Emilia
    • Gamlin
    • Basara
    • Aegis
    • Quamzin
    • Ivanov
    • Nora
    • Shin
    • Moaramia
    • Komilia
  2. 2. Who is your favorite Pilot in Macross Universe

• Roy
    • Max
    • Hikaru
    • Millia
    • Quamzin
    • Isamu
    • Gould
    • Basara
    • Gamlin
    • Emilia
    • Aegis
    • Ivanov
    • Nora
    • Shin
    • Moaramia
    • Komiria

There are a ton of different things to think about... whether the YF-19 was actually doing better, or just completing the tests faster, and if that was due to it being the superior plane or if it was because of Isamu. But Supernova was actually canceled and the Ghost was scheduled to be announced at the 30th Anniversary ceremony. The 19 might have been officially adopted when the dust settled because it was the only one left standing.

But I think it is telling that, and I really don't care how many different 19 variants they come up with, the VF-19 may be really advanced and currently given to ace units like Emerald Force, but it's still replacing the VF-11. It is the cannon fodder of the future. The VF-22 replacing the VF-17 means that it's still going to be a by special ops or ace units when the everyone else is flying VF-19s.

There are a ton of different things to think about... whether the YF-19 was actually doing better, or just completing the tests faster, and if that was due to it being the superior plane or if it was because of Isamu. But Supernova was actually canceled and the Ghost was scheduled to be announced at the 30th Anniversary ceremony. The 19 might have been officially adopted when the dust settled because it was the only one left standing.

But I think it is telling that, and I really don't care how many different 19 variants they come up with, the VF-19 may be really advanced and currently given to ace units like Emerald Force, but it's still replacing the VF-11. It is the cannon fodder of the future. The VF-22 replacing the VF-17 means that it's still going to be a by special ops or ace units when the everyone else is flying VF-19s.

True, however it will take time to phase out the VF-11's and 17's and phase in the VF-19s and 22's... The chronology shows many overlapping deployments of fighters.

Depending on when Macross Frontier takes place, it is entirely possible that the VF-11's could still be in service...

I think Max is the best pilot. I know shocking. But where are some of you getting this idea that he has no concern for others flying with him? I dont remember the end of M7, I kept falling asleep, but in SDF Macross he was always saving Kakizaki. Doesnt that count for something?

Hikaru flew a bicycle.... :p

uhuh, and i spose the 'pedal' operated winged bird of prey glider 'with wheels' thingy that Isamu and Guld made wasn't resembling a "bicycle"? >_< *slaps face* 'totally missread my point i was trying to bring across... meh nevermind.

Never said "magic" flying bicycle either! :p

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

It's obvious that Max is the best overall but most of the others have their traits that make them great. Max did save some folks a couple of times but was focused on the enemy most of the times. I remember him hunting folks down while New Macross City was burning. Actually now that i think of it he never really was like that. During the fight with Milia he was order to break off on his own to see if he was targeted. Only during DYRL was he really ever doing his own thing most of the time he was in formation working as a team.

I like Hikaru because he shows progression, natural progression as a fighter from not being able to really fire on folks to being an Ace by the end. Focker was always good from what we have seen, they never really got into his early years. Isamu is just crazy but i loved that too. Those are my top choices in a nutshell, oh and yes Milia is there too. Basara is okay as far as i am concerned, dodging enemy fire and singing does make him pretty good, but i would have loved to see what he would have been like as a fighter pilot.

The death of others has a different effect on people. Some people can kill and some can't. As someone currently in the miltary i have heard many stories of people when in actual combat freak out and can't handle the fact they took someone's life. Who is to say that Basara could take people down and still be as good as a pilot as he is singing?

That's just my two cents.

Edited by kanedaestes

I think the YF-21 is more experimental in the next generation technologies as you explained than the YF-19, but remember the VF-22 Max type in Macross 7 that actually is made with regular controls as the YF-19. And Max is really impresive on that one.

Then, I think the BDI system is not a secure flying system only because it does not matter who is the pilot, if the pilot get unstable all the Valk fail, remember Gould lost control when the YF-21 and the VF-11B were face to face, what do you think?

In another topic, perhaps is only fan imagination, but if Max could dogfight with any other Macross Universe chara, Max would be the winner in every dogfight?

Or in other words, is there any other pilot that could defeat Max?

Edited by Isamu test pilot

I forgot which Macross book it was in, but Miria does own Max once. They're in bed, in pajamas, and she just chopped him in the back of the neck while reading "How to Karate". :lol: It's in one of the SDF Macross books with information, illustrations, and character+mecha designs.

I think the YF-21 is more experimental in the next generation technologies as you explained than the YF-19, but remember the VF-22 Max type in Macross 7 that actually is made with regular controls as the YF-19. And Max is really impresive on that one.

Then, I think the BDI system is not a secure flying system only because it does not matter who is the pilot, if the pilot get unstable all the Valk fail, remember Gould lost control when the YF-21 and the VF-11B were face to face, what do you think?

Guld was very over the edge at that point. It's doubtful he would've maintained control of a normal plane either.

As they mentioned in the show, it's hard to debug the BCS since half the system is in the pilot's head.

When you have a mentally unstable pilot that's on meds... well, it doesn't make the job any easier.

It really looks suspiciously like Isamu and Guld were chosen explicitly to run Project Super Nova into the ground.

But yeah, the YF-21 was a testbed for a lot of stuff, some of which was never intended for a production model(if I recall, the variable-camber wings were intended to be scrapped even if it won Project Super Nova). They DID build a -21 with a conventional cockpit alongside the BCS mech we saw in the anime.

BCS was just so gosh-darn cool, though, why would they want to fly the regular one if they could help it?

I forgot which Macross book it was in, but Miria does own Max once. They're in bed, in pajamas, and she just chopped him in the back of the neck while reading "How to Karate". :lol: It's in one of the SDF Macross books with information, illustrations, and character+mecha designs.

:D

What about Sylvie Gena and Major Nexx?!?!?

Unfortunately we don't see as much of Sylvie's or Nexx's prowess behind the stick as we do with other characters mentioned.

They are both smart pilots, but it's hard to tell if it is they or their fighters that are outstanding.

But yeah, the YF-21 was a testbed for a lot of stuff, some of which was never intended for a production model(if I recall, the variable-camber wings were intended to be scrapped even if it won Project Super Nova). They DID build a -21 with a conventional cockpit alongside the BCS mech we saw in the anime.

:D

Actually the jointed wings on the YF-21 were kept on the production model VF-22 according to the "Mac 7 Animation Materials" book as well as the stupid bubble cockpit canopy (could never understand why SK went with that as opposed to the regular canopy he had designed for the non-BCS version of the YF-21 when the BCS was scrapped by Mac 7?).

Edited by Zinjo

Unfortunately we don't see as much of Sylvie's or Nexx's prowess behind the stick as we do with other characters mentioned.

They are both smart pilots, but it's hard to tell if it is they or their fighters that are outstanding.

Actually the jointed wings on the YF-21 were kept on the production model VF-22 according to the "Mac 7 Animation Materials" book as well as the stupid bubble cockpit canopy (could never understand why SK went with that as opposed to the regular canopy he had designed for the non-BCS version of the YF-21 when the BCS was scrapped by Mac 7?).

But the variable camber wasn't.

Remember the first scene with Guld on the ground in the YF-21? And they show the surface of the wing deforming?

That's the variable-camber part. It lets the pilot adjust the curvature of the wing.

Hey, I've never seen that 21 you're talking about. I read about the 2 prototypes but that's all. :blink:

Hey, I've never seen that 21 you're talking about. I read about the 2 prototypes but that's all. :blink:

Well yeah, the YF-19 and YF-21, what 21 are you talking about?

There is a VF-22, which is the production model of the YF-21, that is without the BCS, and variable camber wings as JBO pointed out...

Edited by Zinjo

There were two YF-21 prototypes built.

YF-21 Prototype n#1- demonstration model with conventional controls and normal canopy. No BCS, no BDS.

YF-21 Prototype n#2- the one seen in the anime with all the bells, whistles, and morphy wings.

• 16 years later...
  • azrael locked this topic