Robotech Genesis?

If i'm reporting old news here, somebody slap me. I stumbled across this fan movie site for that "other show".. Its quite a nicely done site and there is a trailer which is an impressive piece of work, but ultimately, very shadow chronicles... a few liberties with the designs too (although this may have been legal mumbo jumbo at work).

Check it out and come back and poke fun....(kidding.. - credit to them for trying.)

http://www.robotech.united-earth-group.com.../view/1111/283/

Edited by vermillion01

If i'm reporting old news here, somebody slap me. I stumbled across this fan movie site for that "other show".. Its quite a nicely done site and there is a trailer which is an impressive piece of work, but ultimately, very shadow chronicles... a few liberties with the designs too (although this may have been legal mumbo jumbo at work).

Check it out and come back and poke fun....(kidding.. - credit to them for trying.)

http://www.robotech.united-earth-group.com.../view/1111/283/

There are some Robotech fans who think that the best thing to help fire up things for Robotech this generation is to relaunch the original series, at least the Macross episodes, in full CG and with updated designs. Though the SDF-1 looks extremely close to the original, the VF-1's I think are shown radically different in order to avoid a legal confrontation (if, hypothetically, if this were an official HG/Tatsunoko production).

You don't have to be able to do anything to critique stuff. I mean most people can't make movies, most people can't write, draw, sing, play music, or even wipe their butts properly. :p

This obviously wasn't wiped properly. :p It smells like butt. If anyone wants a VF-1 redesign, go look at the VF-0 or SW-XA1. :) At least those won't hurt your eyes.

Have any Macross fans gone to these lengths? Lets see you do better.

Considering what's been already officially released by Big West, Shoji Kawamori, etc.: The SDF:M, DYRL?, Macross 0, Macross +, and *sigh* Macross 7, as well as the numeorus official toys, models, books, etc... do we need to?

Considering what's been already officially released by Big West, Shoji Kawamori, etc.: The SDF:M, DYRL?, Macross 0, Macross +, and *sigh* Macross 7, as well as the numeorus official toys, models, books, etc... do we need to?

so do u need to watch macross or play those toies?

Big west or shoji kawamori make Macross for Money

They just make this movie for FUN.

Kawamori & Nue are professionals who turn out professioanl work & in turn get paid so that they can focus on it. And in turn, they got into the business because they were anime fans.

You'll also note that Kawamori & Co. come up with their own "original" works, instead of biting off of other peoples.

Ah, a war to fight...

Sure, I can watch Macross anytime I want. But I don't play with my toes, no, not since I was a kid.

As for making this vid for fun, so what? Prepare yourself since I'm getting ready to go into my Robotech tirade and will surely piss off some more.

You know why Robotech needs stuff like this? Because officially, HG can't make anything worthwhile to seamlessly fit in, from outside the originally aired RT saga. Coming from a former fan (me if you haven't figured it): Face it, RT had 2 things going for it... "The Macross Saga" (SDFM) and "The Next Generation" (Mospeada). Nobody gave 2 sh*ts about Southern Cross (most people anyways). There was only so much they did with Macross & Mospeada. HG made some half-assed attempts to domestically release some GODAWFUL Robotech toys (Matchbox ones? Remember?). There were maybe a few coloring books, IIRC. I know Palladium had the pencil & paper RT RPG. But after these few things? That's it, not for years upon years.

It's not until AFTER the TURN OF THE CENTURY that you see some minimal material being released to flesh out the Robotech background, merchandise remotely worthwhile for collecting.

Macross!

All this while the actual Macross shows, the Japanese originals, kept churning out stuff every few years. In the 80's, the 90's, and now into the 21st Century. Macross Plus, Macross 7 (which I'll be honest I'm not a fan of), Flashback 2012, and of course, DYRL?. In between all these shows and movies, Macross is quite fleshed out with its background with room to expand. And it all flows together, not a patchwork of completely different shows.

Then there's the merchandise and collectible items. The Official Japanese releases had tremendous amounts of stuff. Toys, Models, animation books top the list. Tell me, did anything officially released for RT during the 80s (I won't count 90s, since there was nothing really for RT) measure up to the Japanese 1/55 Valks? No. Even these days, they don't measure up against the Yamatos, quality control issues included. Oh, I even forgot to mention the Gakken toys... those badass "Alphas?" Only Japanese... Including the Cyclones, until very, very recently. From the Japanese Macross shows themselves, you also have the variety of Valkyries designed by Kawamori himself. VF-1, VF-4, VF/YF-19, VF-11, YF-21, etc. All having a traceable lineage since they were done by the original designer of the VF-1, Kawamori.

What worthwhile, original design was made for RT outside the original saga?

Lastly, the other thing that irates me with HG and RT is how hard it is being a Macross fan outside Japan (and in the USA) to get an official, domestic release for Macross shows and stuff. Why, oh why, do I have to resort to bootlegs and such to even get the shows I want to see, even though it is the original Macross shows?

So, to get back again to your original train of thought.

"so do u need to watch macross or play those toies?"

I sure can if I wanted to (except the toes thing. I only clip the nails off them when they get long. Makes holes in the boot socks). And the original Macross universe is plenty filled with a background (and more possibilities still) between all the actual Macross shows. But RT needs the help, since nothing's been fed into her for... what? Almost 2 decades?

Edited by Warmaker

Ah, a war to fight...

Sure, I can watch Macross anytime I want. But I don't play with my toes, no, not since I was a kid.

U don't got the point! <_<

Do more less talk!

looks like u just unsatisfied with the name of this vid....

it's easy! the Robotech Genesis project is open to all people. (not only robotech fan)

you can join them!

and here is your work to do

1. replace the robotech BGM to Macross BGM.

2. record a japanese dub by your self or ask your japanese friends

3. replace the title to Macross Gensis.

well here you go.

Why would a Macross fan who is no longer a fan of Robotech want to contribute to a fan made thing redoing a hack series because HG neglected it? And, don't adapt the valkyries from the Macross sequels into Robotech, please, it's just disgustingly wrong. If HG can't provide Robotech fans with original new mecha, don't go continuing HG's butchery legacy by hacking other Macross things into the Robotech universe. :(

Macross doesn't need a "Macross Genesis". For a retelling of Macross we have Do You Remember Love. Changing the music and audio still won't help the visuals (like the corrugated sheet-metal veritechs). :p

My valkyries don't have toes to play with. Maybe that's what their veritechs need. Toes to play with... or... missile toes! Then we could make Christmas jokes! :lol:

Why would a Macross fan who is no longer a fan of Robotech want to contribute to a fan made thing redoing a hack series because HG neglected it? And, don't adapt the valkyries from the Macross sequels into Robotech, please, it's just disgustingly wrong. If HG can't provide Robotech fans with original new mecha, don't go continuing HG's butchery legacy by hacking other Macross things into the Robotech universe. :(

Macross doesn't need a "Macross Genesis". For a retelling of Macross we have Do You Remember Love. Changing the music and audio still won't help the visuals (like the corrugated sheet-metal veritechs). :p

My valkyries don't have toes to play with. Maybe that's what their veritechs need. Toes to play with... or... missile toes! Then we could make Christmas jokes! :lol:

It doesn't matter dude, they enjoy doing it and it's out of fandom.

Screw all this crap about licensing and the series man, you guys are far too into it that the group is just making this out of love for the series.

Whats up with that man, thats is just not cool. <_<

The beauty of Macrossworld.

If some group of fans do something for fun BUT label it robotech they get the smack down. I guess people get points for doing so (what do you get in exchange for all the robotech battying even with it has NOTHING to do with HG? No really? Do you think HG will magically die a horrible death because you pick on a fan work that has nothing to do with them?). :rolleyes:

Well, this very forum has a section called "fan works". If you can call what these guys are doing "poo", them stop on by to that subforum and have fun labelling everything there poo. Hey, it ain’t Kawamori :rolleyes:

But look. If you label whatever you are doing "Macross" you get nice replies:

Double faced comments

This topic is like a bad penny.

The previous thread: HERE

As I said last time:

Looks decent... not great, but decent. You have to at least applaud their effort. It takes a lot to do something like this in one's spare time. I'm not sure what their main contributor's "status" is when it comes to 3D work but for an amateur they have some moderate skill. Now, if these guys "worked in the field" then I'd say I'm disappointed, but for a fan-made "basement project" most likely done in their spare time with little to no pro help or skill it's not that bad.

I think the big thing hanging most people up is the name association. If they would have just called it something other than "Robotech" and forced the instant mental comparison to the real deal it might be more interesting to more people. IMHO what is hurting them the most is not creating their own story and characters but borrowing someone else's... a common weakness in a lot of the amateur work I see. Nobody likes making their own characters, they instead copy someone else's design. Yeah, sure, great... you can build Nightcrawler... but I'd be more impressed if they made their own story and characters. After all, when you create the world who is to say it's "too gundamed up"?

I really should lock this thread as it's a retread, but I figure it will die out soon enough.

Edit: And does anyone remember that Mike guy's RT based CG project? His stuff was boffo. Awesome models and awesome animation clips... then again he was a professional from the CG industry. That is the most "telling" thing about this project. It's "fan fic" and has that same "drawn on looseleaf paper in my basement" kind of feel to it. There is nothing wrong about that as everyone has to start somewhere, but I still personally feel the rough "not quite there" design and execution hurt this project more than it's name association does. As I said a year ago, it's decent... not great by any means, but decent. I wouldn't hire these guys to work for me but they at least show some level of skill.

Now that Mike guy I'd hire on the spot, but he probably has a better job than I could give him. :p

My post was more into responding to BeterHans. I interpreted his post as meaning : "You're only hating it because it's Robotech, you would like it if it was called Macross instead. Rather than critiquing it, do something to make it look better and help them."

A long time ago I loved Robotech. Things changed, for lots of reasons, and I wound up hating Robotech.

So my reply was meant to say: "I hate it period. There would be no need to do such a fanwork if HG provided their Robotech fans with new stories. And I've seen a lot of Robotech fans attempt to adapt Macross Plus valkyries into the Robotech universe because they're lacking in new material. Macross does not need a redo. Doing what Beterhans suggested and changing superficial things like title, music, and language will not help the appearance of this fan work."

My bringing up the licensing was part of my argument because there is quite a difference between Robotech and original Macross, and what HG and Big West have provided for their respective fans. HG left Robotech fans wanting. They got a video release of Robotech II: The Sentinels. Then skip a decade or so and they get Shadow Chronicles. In that time frame Robotech fans didn't get much and were left craving more, hence the bigger need to do fan works.

With Big West and Macross, there's been a rather steady supply of Macross over the years with sequels, sidestories, backstories and all that good stuff.

I am critical of their redesigned VF-1s (and other mecha) not because it is not Kawamori but because they are ugly. While I may dislike the valkyries in Macross II, they still looked aerodynamic and looked like they could be either a redesign or an evolution of the VF-1. This Genesis VF-1 looked like a combination of legos and corrugated sheet metal.

I stopped going to the Macross World Fanworks section since activity there was low.

If they redesigned everything again to look good and improved their computer animation I'd say : "great job, looks good, go you guys."

Until then for me it's passionately done meh. They should keep it up though. They may look bad now, but with experience they'll get it looking better. I know you never start out great at this kind of stuff, and you have to work your way to being good. But, I'm not going to throw out praise about it looking good unless it looks good.

And, yes, that the association with Robotech is possibly adding a bit of influence into judging it a bit harsher. I won't deny that, it's quite likely, although not consciously done.

I dont understand how anyone can hate Robotech. Hate is such a strong passionate emotion. Me? I dont mind it at all. Its got lots of fun elements, and frankly I like the theme song more than macross's. Minmei was marginally more annoying, but then Minmei is annoying as a whole so that doesnt matter. If Robotech hadn't come along i wouldnt have a clue what Macross was, or if I did Id probably think it was a weird old series.

I may not like it as much as i like macross, but I don't hate it. How could i hate soemthing that gave me so many fond childhood memories?

edit: Also, to stay dimly on topic, while this CG thing doesnt appeal to me, i know how hard it is to commit anything at all to film, so i applaud the effort. Good luck to them, I hope it goes well.

Edited by Scream Man

I dont hate robotech and never will becuase it is what brought valks to me. The music is timeless for me because all it does is remind me of my childhood. I think there is a lot of unwarranted hate towards robotech in these forums, hell i have a game with valks that isn't an import now. Sure it may not be the best game but i finally have one.

U don't got the point! <_<

Do more less talk!

looks like u just unsatisfied with the name of this vid....

it's easy! the Robotech Genesis project is open to all people. (not only robotech fan)

you can join them!

and here is your work to do

1. replace the robotech BGM to Macross BGM.

2. record a japanese dub by your self or ask your japanese friends

3. replace the title to Macross Gensis.

well here you go.

There is no need for me as a Macross fan to do more since so much has been done ALREADY, officially by Big West, S.Kawamori, etc. Like I said, they have tons of storyline done, models made, toys produced.

Unsatisfied? With true Macross? No.

But with Robotech? More than unsatisfied, and my ranting in my earlier reply covers it with the complete lack of attention to fans back in the 80s, the real high time of RT.

And later, with the "internetz" and the 21st Century, I came across the harsh truth that the true Macross franchise had alot more shows and stuff. And having HG hamper domestic US releases of Macross produtions such as FB2012 and especially DYRL? pissed me off more than anything... I was irked by the only possibility of getting FB2012 and DYRL? in the US was through poor quality bootlegs, thanks to the legality issues with HG. And the bootleg quality isn't exactly getting better. Thanks!

I can't "support" RT since it supports HG.