Supervision Army

mikeszekely

Ummm, no. You are missing my point. Even Mr. March got it. :rolleyes:

Why are you insisting on "shoe horning" MII into the Studio Nue continuity? It doesn't belong there. Like the kid who tries to compare apples and oranges, it doesn't work. You can argue that the Marduk are the SA or protoculture but you are limited to SDFM/DYRL/MII. MII doesn't work in the SDFM/DYRL/M+/M7/MD7/M0/MF world because it doesn't belong there. It's another universe. The SA in the Studio Nue-continuity isn't the Marduk. This ain't a multiple-choice.

You are arguing that it "absolutely" can't, and I am saying that such an absolute is not defensible considering how much PC history is not yet revealed, how little we know about the early human emigration fleets and the current conditions of the various colonies. The shows have not concentrated on that as much as the space exploration aspects.

Can Mac II "possibly" be shoe horned in? Sure.

Would it fit very well? Not without some 'splaining and even then it would be relegated to "side story" status at best, similar to how Dynamite is a side story to Mac 7, in the grand scheme of the universe.

Because the idea isn't popular around here, doesn't mean it isn't possible. It also doesn't mean that it would happen either, but saying it isn't possible with so many unanswered questions in the Macross universe is to open a debate that could last for pages.

Whether Studio Nue and Big West would bother to revist the show to make the changes in that anime to bring it into the continuity is the question, and who knows if that would ever happen or if any interest to do so exists? I wouldn't be arrogant enough to presume to know their minds.

Prior to Dynamite there were no such thing as space wales, and lo and behold we now have them in the continuity.

The producers at studio Nue have rightfully kept details about the PC and SA largely non-specific and enigmatic, in order to allow them to farm them for stories.

So my argument is simply that anything is possible and no one here can say "it can't" happen with any certainty.

Edited by Zinjo

This reminds me of points raised in a discussion at Mecha Talk about Gundam canon/continuity. I think one point applies here...too many people worry about the absolutes of what is and isn't official. In the case of Gundam, Sunrise has deliberately left the waters murky with each production and each new reference material that contains contradictory information. But in the case of Macross, Studio Nue has exactly laid out what fits and what doesn't. If Kawamori wanted to retcon all or part of Macross II into the timeline, he would have done so in the early 90s. But he hasn't and there's no reason to believe he ever will. Besides, does Macross II have to be official? What difference would it make? It's continuity status doesn't invalidate its existence. I know Macross II isn't very popular around here, but it shouldn't matter if its just relegated to an alternate universe. Those who still want to enjoy it can do so and can speculate what happened in that show's alternate timeline, rather than trying to forcefully shoehorn it into the established timeline. If you have Macross II set on another planet with a ship that's not THE Macross, what's the point of the story? We don't need to have George Lucas-type interference 15 years after the fact, massively changing story elements to fit some other production.

Excuse me? What both Azrael and myself stated is not up for debate nor is it a fan theory for equal consideration with the rest of the postulations in this thread. This is official canon policy of Studio Nue, people. We don't get to pick it apart to match our own theories.

If we fans want to reconcile Macross II into the full breadth of Macross continuity as fan masturbation, that's perfectly fine. There's nothing wrong with it. Wank away :)

HOWEVER, as official policy Macross II can NEVER reconcile with anything in the post-1992 Macross franchise. The powers that be at Studio Nue have forever declared Macross II "Parallel Universe" and as such it does not merge with Macross Plus, Macross 7, Macross Frontier or any other subsequent Macross productions. Correspondingly, Macrosss II must be FULLY UNIFIED with the totality of SDFM/DYRL/FB2012 continuity and no part of those first three productions can be discarded when reconciling the Macross II universe.

This means that one theory is just as valid as another (within those rules) and the Marduk can be the love children of a Zentradi, Supervision Army and Protoculture threesome if someone wanted to suggest it :)

I disagree, with some retcon dialogue changes in the original anime it could fit within established continuity as another story in the universe.

As fanwank, I wholeheartedly agree. As official policy, I'm afraid you and the others are sunk.

Edited by Mr March

Agreed, though let's not neglect the canon and semi canon video games.

Studio Nue timeline: + VF-X & VF-X2

Parallel Universe (Macross II): SDFM 2036 (you know, the Neld Fleet Invasion game and has the VF-1AR, 1JR, 1SR that provides the link between DYRL VFs and Macross II VFs.)

Of course there are more (not to mention audio CDs, manga and so on.)

It may actually serve this topic well for people to do research into those games as they *may* have stuff on the Inspection Army... er, Supervision Army. (Though not VF-X, VF-X2, M+ Game Edition or DYRL, beyond what is already present in the various anime.)

I honestly don't know how Studio Nue officially accounts for video games and other non-anime "stuffs." Personally, I'd work very cautiously with that issue and stay away from stating absolutes.

Double-check with Egan, but I'm 99% sure the VF-X games are official canon, but none of the other games (M3 included) are.

Space War I happened, Minmay existed, the SDF-1 Macross exists and all the other events of SDFM/DYRL happened in the history of the Macross II universe. They utilize these facts as history in the anime. Therefore, the Protoculture as it existed at the time of SDFM/DYRL canon (pre-1992) also existed in Macross II canon, the Stellar Republic as it existed at the time of SDFM/DYRL canon (pre-1992) also existed in Macross II canon and the Supervision Army as it existed at the time of SDFM/DYRL canon (pre-1992) still exists in Macross II canon.

That's not entirely accurate. Macross II is a sequel to DYRL, which in the pre-1992 days you're talking about was regarded as the canon events of Space War 1. And it's oversimplifying the situation to consider DYRL a straight retelling of the TV series; if you're going to continue continuity from DYRL, then you have to accept that DYRL retconned a lot key points, one of them being that the Macross was a Meltrandi ship instead of a Supervision Army ship. So, yeah, Minmay existed, the SDF-1 existed, and the Protoculture existed in the Macross II timeline. But the concept of the Stellar Republic is a later addition to continuity; prior to 1992, we don't know what kind of organization the Protoculture had. And there is no mention of the Supervision Army in DYRL. The fact that the Macross became a Meltrandi ship in that timeline instead of a Supervision Army ship indicates that they were, in fact, ditching the Supervision Army from that timeline. The facts are simply that the Protoculture existed in some form, created the Zentradi and Meltrandi, and are now gone. We can't use SDF Macross to fill in the blanks because DYRL as canon overwrites the SDF Macross version of events. DYRL only fits in the official continuity as a movie within the universe... it's allowed to be historically inaccurate.

Long story short, after the war with the Protodevelin, the Zentradi rebelled against the notion of being "demilitarized," and obsorbed into the Protoculture as a regular race. After that point, they roamed around hunting down the Supervison Army, killing any remaining Protoculture who tried to "culture" them, and likely fighting with other roaming Zentradi fleets.

Not quite...The Zentradi rebelled due to the fact that oversight over them reduced substantially during the war. Losing 85% of the republic in one year from the war reduced the influence Protoculture had on the Zentradi. It's more akin to cutting the master's chain around their necks since the master doesn't care enough anymore. When Protoculture tried to get them back, or "culture" them as you put it, it didn't work. They were doing fine on their own so why go back. If Protoculture said otherwise, they got a gun shoved down their throats.

HOWEVER, as official policy Macross II can NEVER reconcile with anything in the post-1992 Macross franchise. The powers that be at Studio Nue have forever declared Macross II "Parallel Universe" and as such it does not merge with Macross Plus, Macross 7, Macross Frontier or any other subsequent Macross productions. Correspondingly, Macrosss II must be FULLY UNIFIED with the totality of SDFM/DYRL/FB2012 continuity and no part of those first three productions can be discarded when reconciling the Macross II universe.

Okay.... I wasn't aware you had become a member of the Studio Nue production staff, congratulations.... :rolleyes:

However, since we are now treading on some people's "altars" and emotions are beginning to run high, this discussion could use some humor... where's Jenius when you need him? :p

Considering SK refuses to be bound by his own continuity in Macross, anything is possible despite any previous "declarations".

If the speculation in this thread is disturbing to some or offends their sense of the proper order of things, then by all means don't read anymore of it.

Personally, I'm gonna let the newbs play with this one for the most part, because I've already argued these points before and a fresh perspective is always fascinating.

My only advice to the newbs is do your homework and stand your ground, because some around here will want to brow beat you into submission and in this type of debate poor research is unforgivable.

B))

Not quite...The Zentradi rebelled due to the fact that oversight over them reduced substantially during the war. Losing 85% of the republic in one year from the war reduced the influence Protoculture had on the Zentradi. It's more akin to cutting the master's chain around their necks since the master doesn't care enough anymore. When Protoculture tried to get them back, or "culture" them as you put it, it didn't work. They were doing fine on their own so why go back. If Protoculture said otherwise, they got a gun shoved down their throats.

The key to that was the removal of the micron inhibitor (for want of a better term), which prohibited the Zentreadi from turning on their masters. When that was removed to allow the giants to fight the Supervision Army, the PC had opened Pandora's Box and it ultimately spelled the end of the Republic..

The Stellar Republic may not have been named, but it clearly existsted as the "Protoculture Empire" in SDFM.

As for SDFM/DYRL/FB2012, I agree reconciling those to Macross II is no easy task, but I don't see how DYRL can possibly invalidate the canon status of other two. Like it or not, even if Studio Nue declared DYRL the defacto universe design of Macross post-1984, they still have SDFM and FB2012 included as official entries in the Macross canon. They are not distinctively separated from canon like Macross II. So there has to be unified reconciliation of SDFM/DYRL/FB2012 to Macross II as per their own rules.

Which I believe is where all the trouble began and why Studio Nue/Shoji Kawamori have continually tried to re-organize canon over the years in an attempt to reconcile it by their own rules. Which is probably why Macross II was deemed parallel universe and DYRL was changed to a fictional movie within the greater continuity.

Okay.... I wasn't aware you had become a member of the Studio Nue production staff, congratulations.... :rolleyes:

However, since we are now treading on some people's "altars" and emotions are beginning to run high, this discussion could use some humor... where's Jenius when you need him? :p

Considering SK refuses to be bound by his own continuity in Macross, anything is possible despite any previous "declarations".

I certainly don't mean any offense, but I don't see any attempt at reconciliation when the official continuity - as of this moment - is summarily declared inadequeate by fan opinion.

I think people are forgetting themselves. If Studio Nue declares parallel universe, that's it. We don't get a say. Trying to claim foul by stating; "Oh, Kawamori does what he likes with continuity, so shall I!" doesn't work. People have forgotten Studio Nue/Kawamori have the right to do what they like with Macross; the fans do not. We don't get to make continuity; Studio Nue/Kawamori set it and we have to accept it. If it changes, so be it but it's Studio Nue/Kawamori that change it, not the fans.

I really don't see the problem and I also don't see how fans assume they have the right to arbitrarily introduce Macross II into the Macross continuity in some official capacity. If you want to blame me for reminding everyone that Macross II is "parallel universe" according to Studio Nue/Kawamori, I suppose that's your right. But everything else after that is pure unofficial, unsanctioned fanon without exception. There's nothing wrong with fan speculation, but we don't get to propagate it as fact, especially to newbies here.

Edited by Mr March

I certainly don't mean any offense, but I don't see any attempt at reconciliation when the official continuity - as of this moment - is summarily declared inadequeate by fan opinion.

I think people are forgetting themselves. If Studio Nue declares parallel universe, that's it. We don't get a say. Trying to claim foul by stating; "Oh, Kawamori does what he likes with continuity, so shall I!" doesn't work. People have forgotten Studio Nue/Kawamori have the right to do what they like with Macross; the fans do not. We don't get to make continuity; Studio Nue/Kawamori set it and we have to accept it. If it changes, so be it but it's Studio Nue/Kawamori that change it, not the fans.

I really don't see the problem and I also don't see how fans assume they have the right to arbitrarily introduce Macross II into the Macross continuity in some official capacity. If you want to blame me for reminding everyone that Macross II is "parallel universe" according to Studio Nue/Kawamori, I suppose that's your right. But everything else after that is pure unofficial, unsanctioned fanon without exception. There's nothing wrong with fan speculation, but we don't get to propagate it as fact, especially to newbies here.

No offense taken. Last I checked, no one is asserting that Mac II is part of the official continuity only that similarities exist with the Nue continuity and how it could be explained in the Nue continuity if it were to somehow be brought in.

The known facts about the SA have been presented as revealed to us and have never been in dispute as far as I know.

IMO, some purist hardliners are turning speculations into something there were not. Looking down ones noses at speculations based on available "wiggle room" in the universe's history, just because it's a subject that's unpopular to them, only inflames a thread, it doesn't contribute.

It is understood that as fans, we have little influence over what the producers do, to think otherwise is to fool ones self.

If a newb were to try to present Mac II as part of the official continuity I would correct them just as quickly as the next, however I won't try to beat them down because they have an opinion that doesn't mirror my own.

Mac II as Studio Nue continuity is not what is being discussed / debated.

When this turned into a "Mac II is official" is beyond me. From the posts I've read, it's been about "What would it take to bring Mac II, close enough to the Nue continuity to be acceptable?" "What explanations would need to be made to bring it close enough?"

I believe you may be over reacting to a discussion you may not like, not so much "correcting" those who are already aware of the status of the Mac II show.

Edited by Zinjo

The Stellar Republic may not have been named, but it clearly existsted as the "Protoculture Empire" in SDFM.

As for SDFM/DYRL/FB2012, I agree reconciling those to Macross II is no easy task, but I don't see how DYRL can possibly invalidate the canon status of other two. Like it or not, even if Studio Nue declared DYRL the defacto universe design of Macross post-1984, they still have SDFM and FB2012 included as official entries in the Macross canon. They are not distinctively separated from canon like Macross II. So there has to be unified reconciliation of SDFM/DYRL/FB2012 to Macross II as per their own rules.

That isn't impossible, just difficult.

The most difficult aspect of the show to reconcile is the human mecha, which is very different from the Spacy conventions in the Nue continuity.

There are two ways inclusion could be accomplished, one being easier than the other.

1. Make it a TV show, similar to how DYRL was retconned into a movie for Mac 7.

2. Make it into a real place in the universe, which is the more difficult of the two.

The basics required to even consider a possible shift to Nue continuity would require that the planet in the show NOT be Earth and the SDF ship NOT be the Macross. Those two changes are the most essential just to begin any sort of process of reconciliation.

The Nue continuity has already established what the Earth looks like and where the Macross is in "Macross Plus", that has to be harmonized first before anymore can be considered.

Perhaps the point has been overstated in an attempt to cut through misunderstanding. But I do see many people here taking liberties with the canon policy and outright dismissing things in favor of their own theories. I especially see canon exclusion in order to satisfy these speculations, which is a big no-no in any continuity, not just Macross. As soon as I saw a list of everything canon that supposedly doesn't exist in Macross II, that needed correcting.

I understand what you specifically are trying to achieve with your own theory about linking Macross II into the main Macross continuity, but I believe you too are edging danergously close to canon exclusion. Still, your theory is far more unifed than the others but please remember my concerns posted in this thread were directed to more replies than just your own.

Nonetheless, I'm sure you and I are at least on the same page and I'm certainly not presenting my own word as authority beyond repeating the state of canon via Studio Nue ad verbatim. In fact, this thread has given me a really good idea for my own website. Even though I've stated time and again that my site is unofficial and fan creation only, I'm going to put a big statement on my website to officially say as much. I assumed most could figure it out for themselves, but I think it's best to be absolutely clear at every opportunity so people know better.

Edited by Mr March

Perhaps the point has been overstated in an attempt to cut through misunderstanding. But I do see many people here taking liberties with the canon policy and outright dismissing things in favor of their own theories. I especially see canon exclusion in order to satisfy these speculations, which is a big no-no in any continuity, not just Macross. As soon as I saw a list of everything canon that supposedly doesn't exist in Macross II, that needed correcting.

I understand what you specifically are trying to achieve with your own theory about linking Macross II into the main Macross continuity, but I believe you too are edging danergously close to canon exclusion. Still, your theory is far more unifed than the others but please remember my concerns posted in this thread were directed to more replies than just your own.

Nonetheless, I'm sure you and I are at least on the same page and I'm certainly not presenting my own word as authority beyond repeating the state of canon via Studio Nue ad verbatim. In fact, this thread has given me a really good idea for my own website. Even though I've stated time and again that my site is unofficial and fan creation only, I'm going to put a big statement on my website to officially say as much. I assumed most could figure it out for themselves, but I think it's best to be absolutely clear at every opportunity so people know better.

I am not sure how you mean "canon exclusion"?

To harmonize Mac II to Studio Nue requires exclusion of anything in Mac II that doesn't harmonized with established Nue continuity, not the other way around.

Would retconn be necessary in the Nue continuity, probably, but we can only speculate as to how such retconn could be done.

Mac Zero is the most recent retconn, the last major retconn of the Nue continuity came during the writing of Mac 7.

Edited by Zinjo

Which I believe is where all the trouble began and why Studio Nue/Shoji Kawamori have continually tried to re-organize canon over the years in an attempt to reconcile it by their own rules. Which is probably why Macross II was deemed parallel universe and DYRL was changed to a fictional movie within the greater continuity.

More accurately, DYRL's design reflects 2030's era TV canon. It's not that DYRL designs replace anything that happened prior (2009-2012), it's just that as of 2030, technology has evolved to that which was shown in DYRL.

That's why I was telling the "short" version :)

Here's what I think about this whole subject

1) Little has been revealed about the supervision army, the protoculture, or the stellar republic

2) Macross fans are dying to know all about that stuff

3) Earth's fleets have launched towards the center of the galaxy

4) The supervision army is, for all we know, still out there fighting

5) A new Macross show is coming out

6) This new show will require a new enemy for the Earth forces to fight

I'll let you do the math.

With this set up, the new show could give Macross fans everything they want. So it'll never happen, obviously.

Actually, after listening to Exodol and Global's speech about the zentraedi history, I change my statement. The protoculture split on half and one side created the zentran and the other created the supervision army. It seems more likely that the Marduk are one of the split protoculture factions. Most likely the one who created the zentraedi. It's fun to pretend :lol:

PS. Some of you sound like the comic book guy. Macross isn't real life. People can piece together whatever they want for it to make sense and YES macross 2 does fit in if you look hard enough and have an imagination. It sure as hell made more sense than anything Nue has released since SDFM. Macross 2012 was just a music video they tossed together to keep fans from rioting. Macross Plus really didn't have anything to do with Macross at all. Macross 7 is like a bad headache that barely has any relation to Macross. Atleast Macross II dealt with Macross in a sobering fasion. The fans have kept the show alive all these years. You better bet your ass they have a say on the matter.

Edited by Saur0n

Actually, after listening to Exodol and Global's speech about the zentraedi history, I change my statement. The protoculture split on half and one side created the zentran and the other created the supervision army. It seems more likely that the Marduk are one of the split protoculture factions. Most likely the one who created the zentraedi. It's fun to pretend :lol:

I hope you are kidding... :blink:

If not, then it has been established that the Zentreadi were bio-engineered by the PC to be their army. The SA is composed of both PC and Zentreadi (a combination of both Micron and Giant) from the Stellar Republic.

As discussed on these forums, it appears they were initially a PC inspection force protecting/monitoring the bio-engineering facilty wher the EVIL series weapons were being developed on Varuata (an unamed world at the time of the PC).

If the Marduk were to be explained, a splinter faction from the PC (pre-PD war) or from the SA (post PD war) is the most likely, IMO.

I hope you are kidding... :blink:

If not, then it has been established that the Zentreadi were bio-engineered by the PC to be their army. The SA is composed of both PC and Zentreadi (a combination of both Micron and Giant) from the Stellar Republic.

As discussed on these forums, it appears they were initially a PC inspection force protecting/monitoring the bio-engineering facilty wher the EVIL series weapons were being developed on Varuata (an unamed world at the time of the PC).

If the Marduk were to be explained, a splinter faction from the PC (pre-PD war) or from the SA (post PD war) is the most likely, IMO.

Umm....and where did you get that info from?

PS. Some of you sound like the comic book guy. Macross isn't real life. People can piece together whatever they want for it to make sense and YES macross 2 does fit in if you look hard enough and have an imagination. It sure as hell made more sense than anything Nue has released since SDFM. Macross 2012 was just a music video they tossed together to keep fans from rioting. Macross Plus really didn't have anything to do with Macross at all. Macross 7 is like a bad headache that barely has any relation to Macross. Atleast Macross II dealt with Macross in a sobering fasion. The fans have kept the show alive all these years. You better bet your ass they have a say on the matter.

Says the guy who obviously has no idea what he's talking about.... :)

Those Space Monsters could be Supervision Army Bioweapons, like weaker more controllable versions of the Evil series.

Or they could just be the zerg sucked into the Macross Universe through the black hole that the Megaroad 01 got sucked into. Megaroad 01 goes in, the zerg get pooped out the other side. I'm joking about the zerg.

Those Space Monsters could be Supervision Army Bioweapons, like weaker more controllable versions of the Evil series.

If there are space monsters, I completely agree that they'll be written off as some sort of bioweapon (just like AFOS and the Evil series), but that still makes for kitschy villians in my opinion.

Edited by TheLoneWolf

If there are space monsters, I completely agree that they'll be written off as some sort of bioweapon (just like AFOS and the Evil series), but that still makes for kitschy villians in my opinion.

AFOS type bio-weapons would be pretty cool actually. Most of the power of the PD without the cheese... :p

And the AFOS weapons need pilots, so that brings us back to the origins of franchise. However, as already stated elsewhere, with SK in a Supervisory role, it is hard to say how the new show will play out (better or worse).

Edited by Zinjo

Not gonna happen. Expect to see more SPACE MONSTERS!! :wacko:

:(

Well if the new macross is going to have space monsters then that will make me stay away even if it is macross. I just couldn't handle valks flying around shooting at giant space monsters even if they did explain it as some bio weapon. Monsters = crap show.IMO

I'll deal with it, by not whatching or buying anything to do with it. Though bio weapons are what the zentraedi are so I'll whatch it if they give the space monsters some cool mecha. I can just see it now, the space whales have huge strap on guns and armor....hmmmm... Dino riders meets macoss yay. :p