Transformer Super Thread 6

I finally caved in and picked up movie Thundercracker today. I just knew I'd probably never see it again (first time I've seen him in months) and would regret not picking up a blue F-22, regardless of kibble/bulkiness.

I've only transformed this mold once before, but he took a surprising amount of fiddling/effort to get all the parts lined up in fighter mode--mainly getting the arms to latch onto the "support bars". It's like the notches just aren't in the right place by a few mm. Did get it though. Haven't TFed to robo mode yet.

Also, he takes 2nd place all-time for "most annoying to free from packaging". (BW Depth Charge is THE worst).

Sadly, it can't raise his arms 90 degrees forward. At best it's about 20 degrees, and the rest of the forward articulation is provided by the elbows. The SWTF line has real issues with useful shoulder articulation it seems, unfortunately.

Holy hell thats horrible! I agree with you, I'm not even sure why they shaft the shoulder articulation, shaft the waist articulation instead! Also thank you for providing pictures! I've spent a long time trying to see the limits of the articulation, and finally I can see it. Is there anything that can be shaved down to free up the shoulders? Does he have ratchets with good tension? Thats one of the best aspects for the Cody SWTF. I can see why this figure has double jointed elbows, they definitely seem to help! Also the clone helmet is excellent. Overall, do you recommend him, and how would you rank him compares to the ones you have? Here is mine for the ones I have:

1-Death Star Vader

2-Cody

3-ARC-170

4-X Wing

I place the ARC-170 before Luke solely because the alt mode is more accurate to its onscreen counterpart, and he can stand on his feet a lot easier.

It'll definitely look far better in Obi-wan A-wing style colors.

Did you mean green and white? The new one coming out will be red and white, Ep II colors.

Holy hell thats horrible! I agree with you, I'm not even sure why they shaft the shoulder articulation, shaft the waist articulation instead! Also thank you for providing pictures! I've spent a long time trying to see the limits of the articulation, and finally I can see it. Is there anything that can be shaved down to free up the shoulders? Does he have ratchets with good tension? Thats one of the best aspects for the Cody SWTF. I can see why this figure has double jointed elbows, they definitely seem to help! Also the clone helmet is excellent. Overall, do you recommend him, and how would you rank him compares to the ones you have? Here is mine for the ones I have:

1-Death Star Vader

2-Cody

3-ARC-170

4-X Wing

I place the ARC-170 before Luke solely because the alt mode is more accurate to its onscreen counterpart, and he can stand on his feet a lot easier.

Did you mean green and white? The new one coming out will be red and white, Ep II colors.

I meant the red & white EP 2 colors, which lets the vehicle evoke more of an OT A-wing vibe. I don't care much for the new movies, so personally, I prefer the OT figures out of this line. They're the only ones I have on display.

Anyway, this Jedi fighter has ratchet joints in the elbows, knees and ankles. All the joints have good tension. I can't see anything that can be shaved away to free up the shoulders. What's getting in the way is the front shell halves of the ship which clip pretty firmly to the back. They're sticking out laterally enough to stop the shoulder from going any further than what you see. It's difficult to see in the picture what I mean because it's hard to see the depth around those two parts. That clone mask is pretty flat btw, and doesn't look as good in person.

As to ranking, that's tricky. I'd rank this as one of the top New Trilogy figures. This is the Jedi fighter that they should have been using over and over instead of the other one that they've rode into the ground, which was ok the first two times but should have been retired after that. Darth Maul's the only figure so far that I think has nailed the mecha-looks-like-pilot concept without gimping the figure. Every figure outside of him and the Darth Star has an issue or two(or three or four) with articulation and/or proportion. The Chewbacca half of the Falcon is really nice, but the Han half is a mess. If Maul and Darth Star are As, and the X-wing is a C, this Jedi Fighter is a B+.

In other news... one G1 Dinobot to go after finding a great deal on Slag (the weakest dinobot mold) today... all that's left is Snarl, and some accessories.

You did NOT just say that!

Triceratops > *. By extension, Slag > *.

Also not insultable is Swoop. Pterodactyls are ALMOST as awesome as triceratopses... triceratopsii... triceratopsen?

Then you are applying the wrong criteria. I found them to be exceptional pieces of engineering and an amazing homage to the origional G1 characters they represent (largely). It's because the BIN/Alt?KP line has officially ended that I find myself returning to Macross again. Masterpiece (and selected orters) is all that interest me as far as TFs go now.
Eh. I find things like Animated toys to be more impressive engineering feats because of how stylised the designs are - one needs to get the toy in person to figure out how it transforms. Alternators are mainly elaborations of classic Transformers designs with increased size and budgeting allowing for interiors and increased detailing.

I like them because they're realistic vehicles, that through impressive transformations turn into some fantastic figures with great articulation. Lots of detail, without sacrificing playability, and a great way of storing weapons so you don't have random pieces laying around.

I do agree that keeping it a cars-only line was a mistake that ultimately limits their appeal. They really ought to have created a related line or two. A line of jets, military craft, things like that. Maybe expanded the MP line to include really top notch versions of TFs that weren't quite so big as Prime and Megatron. More the size of Starscream, or possibly smaller, depending on the character. Dinobots, Shockwave, Soundwave, allowing them to bring these toys out more often and at more affordable prices, making them an extension of the Alternators. As it is, the Alternators and MP Transformers compliment each other nicely.

You did NOT just say that!

Triceratops > *. By extension, Slag > *.

Also not insultable is Swoop. Pterodactyls are ALMOST as awesome as triceratopses... triceratopsii... triceratopsen?

I dunno... Triceratopsen are neat, but as a whole figure Slag isn't great... his bot mode has slightly off proportions. Don't get me wrong tho, I LOVE the Dinobots, and am glad I finally decided to bone up ad get them all... and Swoop was my first, so it's not like I had ever even gotten to experience the chunky-awesome Dinobot molds until a little while ago...

I tried to do a search for transformers masterpiece releases but didn't have any luck getting the answer I wanted. Does anyone know what the next Masterpiece release will be, and if they have announced any future releases at all. Thanks in advance.

Well, Masterpiece Starscream in the US Hasbro/cartoon colors is pretty-much a confirmed release... there've been rumors of a Vs. pack with complete MP-Convoy and Megatron w/ trailer and gun-accessories... but I sitll find that one unlikely, as it'd be amassive box with a f*ckton of stuff in it... like, $400 of stuff in it... and now there's rampant wild speculation about a MP Grimlock, with no actual evidence at all...

Well, Masterpiece Starscream in the US Hasbro/cartoon colors is pretty-much a confirmed release... there've been rumors of a Vs. pack with complete MP-Convoy and Megatron w/ trailer and gun-accessories... but I sitll find that one unlikely, as it'd be amassive box with a f*ckton of stuff in it... like, $400 of stuff in it... and now there's rampant wild speculation about a MP Grimlock, with no actual evidence at all...

Yeah, I knew about the US Starscream, but the Grimlock rumors weren't something I had heard until now, thanks for the update. The dinobots would be cool, but I'm really a destron/decepticon fan, and can't wait for soundwave and the cassettes to get the masterpiece treatment. I also wondered if they would ever give us the trailer for ultra magnus, because he just looks nekkid without it.

Alternators are mainly elaborations of classic Transformers designs with increased size and budgeting allowing for interiors and increased detailing.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

mainly getting the arms to latch onto the "support bars"

I had the same issue, but I found out with mine, it had to do with the biceps being swiveled, they have to be perpendicular to the bars. Not sure if this is the case with yours. Its not the most secure connection, ratchets in that area would have definitely helped.

Haven't TFed to robo mode yet

Doing that sold me completely on the figure, a pleasant transformation and one which left a lasting impression on me for the movie line. The automorph surprised me. He may not seem big in package because of his vehicle mode, but he is beastly in robot mode, and huge. As you guys know, I initially hated the figure when the first testshots were unveiled, but now I like the toy so much I may even buy the deep space version. First off, because its a langley bird, second, I like the paint scheme, and third its a fun toy to play with. Unlike most previous Starscream figures, the robot mode was definitely the emphasis for the movie version. I know that a few fans like the Energon version better, but to me its just boring and the Energon version's faux-F-22 mode actually bothers me more than the chunky movie versions. It bothered me to no end that the bicep articulation on the Energon version was blocked if the shoulders were moved sideways far enough, and that the vertical stabilizers were tiny, and the horizontal stabilizers being placed far too low. Despite having the wrong shapes for some control surfaces, the movie one at least looks like an F-22 in more respects. Well done toy.

The Star Wars Darth Maul Transformer, is that still available in stores

He is from an older wave but he should be shipping in new cases soon. Each figure in the line has been in every other wave.

I like them because they're realistic vehicles, that through impressive transformations turn into some fantastic figures with great articulation. Lots of detail, without sacrificing playability, and a great way of storing weapons so you don't have random pieces laying around.

Agreed, I just wish some of them were more durable. For example, Smokescreen and Grimlock. I love Skids, the viper twins, Windcharger and Shockwave because of their durability and pleasant transformation. Grimlock for me was a nightmare.

Also, does anyone have the Boba Fett SWTF - any thoughts?

I don't, but I found more bad reviews about him than the Luke SWTF. The problem, like with most SWTF's is that there are too many parts that get in the way of mobility. He can't really move his legs up. The articulation is there but blocked by panels. If you shave them off, you ruin the look in vehicle mode, which like all SWTF's, is the main draw. Its like the articulation on alternator Sideswipe's hips, the articulation is there, but not very useful. I hear his design as a toy is just hampered by being too complicated than he really needs to be. His robot mode and pilot placement in that mode are great, and his vehicle mode is nice, but overall, I know if I bought him I would be buying a $15 dissapointment. I've been tempted to buy him but have decided not to.

If Maul and Darth Star are As, and the X-wing is a C, this Jedi Fighter is a B+.

That sounds very promising. I am tempted to buy Saesee's because he is one of the top tier jedi pilots, the color scheme is good, and he is more obscure than Obi Wan. However Obi Wan always has awesome color schemes on his ships...

Maul will probably be bought too.

Anyway, this Jedi fighter has ratchet joints in the elbows, knees and ankles. All the joints have good tension

Great to hear! I love ratchets. The ARC-170 definitely needed good tension, but just lacks it completely in the shoulders. :angry:

They're sticking out laterally enough to stop the shoulder from going any further than what you see

I was afraid of that. Damn it! :angry:

This is the Jedi fighter that they should have been using over and over instead of the other one that they've rode into the ground, which was ok the first two times but should have been retired after that

If they hadn't kept repainting the other starfighter SWTF, which would you prefer, the ep II one, or the Ep III one?

Darth Maul's the only figure so far that I think has nailed the mecha-looks-like-pilot concept without gimping the figure.

Reason enough to buy him for me!

Anyone have the Darth Vader Tie Advanced SWTF? How is it, aside from its horribly placed shoulders?

Edited by Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0

Having played with it, I can only think "there's no reason it couldn't be 10x as sleek as it is". I mean, there's a LOT of space around the legs. And why are the thighs/intakes so huge? They could be half as big and still have room for the upper leg sliding mechanism. Have the legs closer together in fighter mode, and have NORMAL arms with NO GIMMICKS tucked up alongside the legs. It'd still be bigger than a real F-22 belly, but it'd be so, so, so much better than it is.

Having played with it, I can only think "there's no reason it couldn't be 10x as sleek as it is". I mean, there's a LOT of space around the legs. And why are the thighs/intakes so huge? They could be half as big and still have room for the upper leg sliding mechanism. Have the legs closer together in fighter mode, and have NORMAL arms with NO GIMMICKS tucked up alongside the legs. It'd still be bigger than a real F-22 belly, but it'd be so, so, so much better than it is.

Agreed, the best guess I can think of, is that they wanted to keep him as a voyager figure and possibly designed the robot mode first. Most of his mass is from robot mode, so I think if they went the route you suggested, he may have ended up as a deluxe. It would be a better toy, but I think they definitely wanted him as a voyager. Still, 2 different sized toys would have kicked ass, and I was optimistic the rumored deluxe version would be an all new toy, but it instead turned out to be the preview figure in a later assortment. :unsure:

The Star Wars Darth Maul Transformer, is that still available in stores? Or was it released in an older wave?

Also, does anyone have the Boba Fett SWTF - any thoughts?

I think Maul was in the second wave. I haven't seen him on a peg in ages.

I really like the Fett figure, but like all the others, he has issues. Also like all other SWTFs, the ship mode is the best part of the figure. I really have nothing negative to say about the ship. Bot mode has proportion issues. The arms are much too long, and they're not as bulky as they should be. Parts of them look empty. Because the back part of the ship becomes the legs and there's no true waist, it doesn't have the articulation there it should. The legs are much too close together, and also pretty skinny. It really looks like he has to pee. They did do a good job of making an actual jet pack for him, and other little details really do make the mech look like the pilot.

May as well throw this image link in quick because normal Vader was mentioned.

CIMG0637.jpg

post-4708-1201050542_thumb.jpg

post-4708-1201050548_thumb.jpg

post-4708-1201050555_thumb.jpg

Edited by Alpha OTS

If they hadn't kept repainting the other starfighter SWTF, which would you prefer, the ep II one, or the Ep III one?

The ep 2 one easily. The ep 3 one does have excellent arm articulation though.

Anyone have the Darth Vader Tie Advanced SWTF? How is it, aside from its horribly placed shoulders?

He's one of my favorites, but that's primarily because he's a Vader TF. Despite the shoulder placement, he's one of the most articulated of the line. Negatives include the head, which needed to be mecha'd and wasn't, it's the same head as a normal Vader figure. Also the color placement of the chest is visible from the front of the ship mode, and the arms don't really collapse into anywhere; the Tie wings just help hide them.

Like all in this line, being a Star Wars vehicle and/or character really helps you overlook the negatives.

Does the Vader TIE SWTF have any ratchets? How is the joint tension? Darth Maul looks awesome in that pic you posted!

No ratchets, all tension. Mine's pretty good, but I remember reading about others getting loose ones in the first wave. He's been released in how many waves though, so I don't know if he was fixed like the X-wing was.

There was also the Vader Episode 3 Jedi fighter.

Thanks for both the feedback & pics Alpha OTS - mucho appreciated mate!

:)

Hopefully Shin is correct and Hasbro re-releases the Darth Maul figure in upcoming SWTF waves. Otherwise I may have to look around eBay for a decent deal on it.

So I finally broken down and bought 2 SWTFs last night to get a TF plastic crack fix: the Darth Vader Jedi Sith Starfighter & the Commander Cody Turbo Tank. As many have said - the SWTF articulation in robot mode is pretty limited. But I love the Commander Cody mold in both modes, it's just fun with plenty of gimmicks!! Highly recommended!!

:lol:

post-3878-1201120925_thumb.jpg

post-3878-1201120933_thumb.jpg

post-3878-1201120941_thumb.jpg

post-3878-1201120951_thumb.jpg

As many have said - the SWTF articulation in robot mode is pretty limited

If you remove the pins from the jedi star fighter's wrist, the joints apparently remain tight, and then have ball joint mobility. I forgot how to take them out though. If I pick up that mold(which I may), I will definitely remove the wrist pins.

Vermillion, pick up the death star man, you honestly won't regret it.

I dunno... Triceratopsen are neat, but as a whole figure Slag isn't great... his bot mode has slightly off proportions. Don't get me wrong tho, I LOVE the Dinobots, and am glad I finally decided to bone up ad get them all... and Swoop was my first, so it's not like I had ever even gotten to experience the chunky-awesome Dinobot molds until a little while ago...

Heh.

I'm biased. Slag was my first Dinobot, and for a long time was my only dinobot.

Add to that the fact that triceratopseses were always my favorite dinosaur, and.... Slag could've been a Micromaster and I'd still think he was the best TF ever. :p

Haha, that's a legit reason... Swoop was my first Dinobot (a real miserable one too... missing an arm, no sword, floppy as hell)... I got a seocnd junker on eBay about a month ago and fixed up my Swoop to real nice shape... the others I've all just bought whole for good deals, and are in really nice condition.

Got a Blurr and two Insecticons today (Kickback and Shrapnel)... Blurr had the typical broken shield peg, but I fixed it some a metal rod and some styrene... works good as new. Gotta find a gun for him now... and the Instecticons are totally rad... I love them (paid $18 each for immaculate condition w/ all parts, Techs, and Instructions)... Shrapnel has to be one of the worst designed figures ever tho... the arms are mounted on a collar that is screwed on, meaning that the arms simply unscrew off the body if you rotate them enough...

It's not as bad as getting an Aquarion into different modes, but getting the shell right for deathstar mode is the only hard bit. As with any TF practice makes perfect!

Besides don't you want a Deathstar, next to Unicron and Primus?

Edited by Roy's Blues

Yeah, I know I should. But I keep reading that the transformation is a PITA big time. I'm procrastinating on buying him ....

Its nowhere near a PITA as Alternator/Binaltech Grimlock, or the shellformer, yet badass, Beast Wars Neo Big Convoy.

Its the best SWTF that I have. Very stable, ratcheting joints, a lot of playability, electronics that actually are impressive and fun to activate, and also the best Darth Vader SWTF(there are 3 of him so far).

btw guys, Classics wave 1 announced, might not be complete, and if you are a club member, you can view Sunstreaker(I'm not a member, so I haven't seen it)

deluxe wave 1:

PROWL

TANKOR (octane)

sunstreaker

ultra's

onslaught

powerglide!

I hope Powerglide is a giant A-10. That and somehow I hope we get an ultra sized F-14 transformer in this line. Maybe as Leozack. I hope Magnus, Scorponok, Springer, Sandblaster, and the headmasters make it into this line.

Haha, that's a legit reason... Swoop was my first Dinobot (a real miserable one too... missing an arm, no sword, floppy as hell)... I got a seocnd junker on eBay about a month ago and fixed up my Swoop to real nice shape... the others I've all just bought whole for good deals, and are in really nice condition.

My Slag's still in.... relatively good shape.

By which I mean all the parts are still attached.

Pretty much every last speck of chrome has been rubbed off at this point, the stickers are gone(he went in the swimming pool a few times), and the tail is a bit worn, but... by favorite childhood toy standards, he did good.

Actually, most of my Transformers came out of things fairly well. Even still have a lot of the guns.

I was an odd kid.

Shrapnel has to be one of the worst designed figures ever tho... the arms are mounted on a collar that is screwed on, meaning that the arms simply unscrew off the body if you rotate them enough...

I never noticed that on mine.

You would sooner get a non-combining Aerialbot as an F-14 than some dude from the japanese continuities.

Sunstreaker is alright. Leg transformation is abit obviously based on Alternators Mirage, though.

You say that like it's a bad thing.
I prefer new ideas in design, or at the very least new ways of doing old things. Like Alternators Mirage - a breath of fresh air. Edited by Fit For Natalie

I often think I must be the only TF fan who saw Alternators Mirage in the store and didn't buy him. Twice. Came close, but at that point I was really getting sick of Alternators all being slight variations on the same transformation and passed, despite people saying how neat he was---I just didn't want to buy yet another Alternator that was still not all that different from the first one. There's only 2 real options:

A. Hood=legs or Hood=chest

B. Robot mode is mainly chassis or robot mode is mainly body panels.

4 total combinations.

Part of the problem with designing these things was to do it in a way that would appeal to the car manufacturers whom they hoped would give them the license, and that inevitably meant doing hood-chest designs because that shows off the car the most in robot mode, and generally compromises the car mode with seams the least (Tracks was the second design done, but was initially rejected by GM because of the seam down the middle of the hood).

Back to Universe, part of me wishes that, as a kind of joke, Hasbro swapped the colours and names of the brothers around in Universe so that Sunstreaker is the guy with the hood chest, and Sideswipe is the guy with the roof chest, as originally intended in G1.

Edited by Fit For Natalie

There's only 2 real options:

I think that you're kinda exaggerating with that statement. Especially how you lump two different options into one option.

Twice.

I mean, when you consider that these four options can each be achieved through substantially different transformations, and that, basic repaints aside, there's only like 12 molds, I don't think they handled that too badly at all. I think for an "all car line" they did pretty well, until new molds stopped coming from Takara. But as I said, a complimentary line of non-car Transformers would have seriously boosted the potential for the line.

Still, as long as MP Transformers come out, it's pretty much as though the Alt line is still getting fleshed out. Just very slowly. Maybe that's a better way to handle a line that mainly appeals to 20-30 year old collectors, and maybe if they ever do smaller characters than Prime and Starscream in the MP treatment they'll be cheaper, and about the same scale as the Alternators.

I think that you're kinda exaggerating with that statement. Especially how you lump two different options into one option.

Twice.

I mean, when you consider that these four options can each be achieved through substantially different transformations, and that, basic repaints aside, there's only like 12 molds, I don't think they handled that too badly at all. I think for an "all car line" they did pretty well, until new molds stopped coming from Takara. But as I said, a complimentary line of non-car Transformers would have seriously boosted the potential for the line.

Still, as long as MP Transformers come out, it's pretty much as though the Alt line is still getting fleshed out. Just very slowly. Maybe that's a better way to handle a line that mainly appeals to 20-30 year old collectors, and maybe if they ever do smaller characters than Prime and Starscream in the MP treatment they'll be cheaper, and about the same scale as the Alternators.

I'd certainly support a line of alternator sized cars based on the G1 vehicles and transformation schemes. They don't even have to be licensed just vaguely look like the vehicle they are supposed to be (and most of them can't be anyway). In some ways I'd rather them go for character design accuracy than alt mode accuracy.