Transformer Super Thread 6

So far, I think the first release of the movie BB (the old beat up junker) is pure crap. The parts don't fit together in vehicle mode, the spring loaded front end always disengages itself and the entire front of the hood is forever tilted forward since it won't lock into place with the arm parts. The arms themselves don't stay put very well either. Robot mode is really floppy too. However, concept BB is a kick ass figure.

Barricade kinda sucks too. Deluxe Brawl doesn't stay together at all (you move his arms and the ribs detach from the chest).

The movie score is out, but NOWHERE has it. Online seems to be about the only place to get it, but Amazon's already sold out. I just ordered from Suncoast, one of the few places with it in-stock and shipping, and with next-day shipping available. (I'm going on a road trip in like 48 hours, and really planned on listening to it on the way---I was going to just snag it at my local Best Buy today until I found out they didn't have it, nor did any store within 30 miles)

Sigh---everywhere has the craptastic "songs NOT in the movie" soundtrack, but nowhere could be bothered to order the "songs actually in the movie" score for one of the biggest movies of the year?

Same problem here too David. I just broke down and downloaded it off of Itunes. I didn't want to wait any longer. It's pretty darn good I must say!

Chris

So far, I think the first release of the movie BB (the old beat up junker) is pure crap. The parts don't fit together in vehicle mode, the spring loaded front end always disengages itself and the entire front of the hood is forever tilted forward since it won't lock into place with the arm parts. The arms themselves don't stay put very well either. Robot mode is really floppy too. However, concept BB is a kick ass figure.

Barricade kinda sucks too. Deluxe Brawl doesn't stay together at all (you move his arms and the ribs detach from the chest).

The only thing I really don't like about Barricade is that there's no head articulation at all. The spring loaded arm is kind of pointless too. I do *very* much like that he has the "to punish and enslave" logo and the soundwavish Frenzy gimmick is neat too. Everyone seems to have that problem with deluxe Brawl though. I usually don't handle my figures much once I find "the pose", so it's not as much an issue for me, but yeah, if you handle the arms at all they detach from the chest.

You sure you didn't break your 70s Bee's morphing tab? It's the tab underneath the hood transform button that kind of helps hold the front end together. If you force the automorph on the front end instead of pressing the button, you could break the tab and end up with the problem you describe. How do you mean floppy? I have two 70s Bees now(the extra was from buying the Target Evolution of a Hero set) and neither are floppy. Concept Bee is, without a doubt in my mind, the best deluxe figure to come out in a loooooong time. Very Alternator-esque and at a small scale.

No one loves Bonecrusher enough. No wonder he hates everyone and everything. I have him in a skating pose that's pretty close to his cameo appearance in the movie. :D

The movie score is out, but NOWHERE has it. Online seems to be about the only place to get it, but Amazon's already sold out. I just ordered from Suncoast, one of the few places with it in-stock and shipping, and with next-day shipping available. (I'm going on a road trip in like 48 hours, and really planned on listening to it on the way---I was going to just snag it at my local Best Buy today until I found out they didn't have it, nor did any store within 30 miles)

Sigh---everywhere has the craptastic "songs NOT in the movie" soundtrack, but nowhere could be bothered to order the "songs actually in the movie" score for one of the biggest movies of the year?

I caved too and bought it off itunes. I like it. Good stuff. :)

better late than never my mp megatron finally arrived unopened and unmodified. plus it was cheaper. hope this line continues for a while.

Gah! Just got emailed from Suncoast that the CD's backordered. WTF? Why is this so hard to get? Just emailed them to cancel it--I'm not waiting 30 days. (especially since they'll probably still ship it overnight, but weeks in the future)

PS--so much for "in stock and ships within 24 hours". :p

::edit:: OK, now Amazon says in stock again. ::orders:: We'll see. Of course, now that it's many hours later it probably won't ship until Thursday, and unless it shows up at my door at like 10AM, it'll still be too late.

David, why don't you just get the iTunes downloads for the roadtrip now and buy the CD later?

It all depends on Takara-Tomy.
Depends. If Hasbro seriously wanted to do it, then it will get done. Hasbro will work with Takara-Tomy to design the toy and pay for its development, like they did with Masterpiece Convoy (one of the early designs was by Don Figueroa for Hasbro).

Until the merger with Tomy, Hasbro had been propping up Takara financially and footing the bill for Transformers development. Takara was in seriously bad financial trouble after the failure of various toylines, such as Car Robots in 2000.

I'd rather they just stick to MP G1s. After collecting movie toys for awhile, I broke out some of my Classics and starting playing with them. After working out some really bad-ass poses with Mirage, I kinda realized that the Bayformers may have worked fine for the movie, but they're kinda crappy toys.
Up to that point, The Movie toys were probably one of the most difficult Transformers line that Hasbro or Takara-Tomy had ever worked on, because they had to translate extremely complex designs into working toys, and these were also all-new, sometimes radically different kinds of Transformers.

By comparison, with the exception of Mirage*, Classics was safe, familiar territory that designers both sides of the ocean were used to, because they had made similar toys hundreds of times before for the past few years. So I foresee them making better movie toys with the next few movies.

*Mirage was actually designed by the same Australian Takara employee who also developed the Real Gear Booster X10 (originally made during the Cybertron series), possibly the control pad Real Gear and the Deluxe class Camaro Concept Bumblebee.

*Mirage was actually designed by the same Australian Takara employee who also developed the Real Gear Booster X10 (originally made during the Cybertron series), possibly the control pad Real Gear and the Deluxe class Camaro Concept Bumblebee.

He did Classics Bumblebee, too. I remember him saying in an interview how he intended for him to look like he was wearing sneakers and a hoodie. :)

That's annoying/sucky: As I had placed the order early this morning, it was shipped out this afternoon---and I paid for/requested overnight delivery. BUT---since it was only guaranteed by Friday when I ordered (in case it didn't get out until tomorrow)----they shipped it via SECOND day according to UPS's site, so it's still not going to get here until Friday--and second day usually isn't delivered in the morning like overnight.

At least it's coming--I hope. I won't be surprised if it's actually the soundtrack, and not the score. (Yes, I'm becoming fairly bitter at this point---I'm just trying to buy a CD that should be readily available)

Sky Linx has been a holy grail in Japan as it's never released over there.

That should be the only reason Takara is trying to sell this with this price.

This reminds me of the robot turkey from the future from ATHF.

Omega Supreme's toy was never released as a Transformer there, either, and he's arguably a more well-known character.

If they're doing batt-op ones, Omega Supreme or Trypticon would be better choices. They're expensive, but big and worth it. Skylynx never impressed me. (He didn't really transform so much as "extend legs and tail")
This is Takara we're talking about. Poor business decisions leading to them merging with a rival company while complaining that their relationship with Hasbro results in little profit, but they put up with it, is part of what makes them a floundering, yet arrogant Japanese company. Edited by Fit For Natalie

Whats the big deal about the transformers score? Which one is everyone clamoring over? There are two on Amazon and both are listed as soundtracks.

Transformers: The Album is a music album that contains eight songs featured on the film (including "What I've Done" by Linkin Park) and four filler songs that weren't used in the film. It wasn't a good CD and fans complained that it didn't contain any of the orchestral music; so they made an online petition.

As a result of that petition, Transformers: The Score was released this week. It's the orchestral score composed by Steve Jablonsky, and almost every single track was used in the film. The tracks are arranged slightly differently from what you hear in the film, but it's still an excellent soundtrack CD.

I might have to head out and get this if I can find it. The score should be a good listen.

Also, I found a third CC BB in a TRU. Actually my son found it since he's a lot lower to the ground than I am. It was on the bottom shelf for some reason. He wanted to get it as a gift for his friend's birthday party.

How so?

The Classics figures were solidly build, easy-yet-fun to transform, and with only a few exceptions, looked great in both modes, and had pretty good range of movement that made for some great poses.

The movie toys, even some of the Voyagers, often look like crap in either or both modes (Megatron, Starscream, 70's BB). Many of them (Jazz, Blackout) are crap for posing. Several of them are difficult to transform due to Automorph issues (several 70's BBs front ends don't fold back into cars right, my concept BB's chest is a pain to fold or unfold, and I have a hard time getting all of Barricade's parts to line up right changing him back into a car). And a lot of them end up with kibble because a deluxe or voyager toy just wasn't meant to have the complicated tranformations that movie models did (Starscream, voyager Prime). The only movie toy I've bought that I've been 100% satisfied with was Ratchet.

So, yeah, I do have to admit, they pulled the movie off, and the Transformers looked great in it. But when it comes to toys, I'd be happier if they'd just make more Classics (I guess I only have to wait another year for Octane, Sideswipe, and Sunstreaker).

Never completed Predaking, as Rampage and Razor Claw were stuck together for YEARS. Did eventually manage to separate them, but Mom wouldn't buy any more.

For all the others:

Computron sucked. Boring colors, very kibbly IMHO. Generic alt modes, etc.

Piranacon rocks, biggest of the "standard" gestalts. And a Targetmaster. Also, has the most unified colorscheme after Devastator.

Menasor---traditionally my fave, but noticeably smaller than the others. And probably least cartoon-accurate.

Abominus---awesome. Big, fun alt modes. Hun-Grrr has more articulation than many BW alt-modes. Due to that, about the only gestalt with working knees and hips.

Superion---while a neat concept, was just plain too skinny and mis-proportioned. (Even going by the "proper" way to assemble him, totally ignoring the instructions). Also, even for gestalt limbs, the 4 guys all seemed like clones.

Bruticus--definitely above average, great alt modes, poor individual robot modes (asides from Onslaught).

Defensor--barely remember.

Devastator--the original, and quite good.

I bet you never completed this:

2006-04-11_122146_titus.jpg

I was looking for a picture of the Energon Grimlock and Swoop combiner to show how poorly engineered and half-assed the above good idea turned out. Oddly, this picture from the G1 cartoon came up in my search results, and is just.....wrong....

250px-Windcharger_flash.jpg

Had to share... :D

The G1 Metroplex tooling is apparently still around, as of 2003. Hasbro reported that it investigated Metroplex as a possible alternative after they cancelled the RID Fortress Maximus release, but found that Metroplex too failed safety tests. Its a pretty fragile toy.

The Dinobot combiner has always been one of the worst fanboy ideas, because what makes the Dinobots 'badass' is their ability to be devastatingly powerful individually without resorting to combining.

Transformers: The Album is a music album that contains eight songs featured on the film (including "What I've Done" by Linkin Park) and four filler songs that weren't used in the film. It wasn't a good CD and fans complained that it didn't contain any of the orchestral music; so they made an online petition.

As a result of that petition, Transformers: The Score was released this week. It's the orchestral score composed by Steve Jablonsky, and almost every single track was used in the film. The tracks are arranged slightly differently from what you hear in the film, but it's still an excellent soundtrack CD.

The petition didn't really have anything to do with the score being released from what I read.

Before the movie was released, there was a photo article about Jablonsky scoring the film, and said there would was a score soundtrack in the works. Later, Jablonsky heard about the petition and thanked the organiser (and the other fans), but confirmed the score was always going to be released. He later sent the organiser two personalised signed copies of the score and another one that was just signed to be auctioned off to help fund music education. David posted the link about that article/score review a page or two back.

Edited by Fit For Natalie

Isn't there almost always a soundtrack score released for every big Hollywood movie? I can't imagine the TF movie would have needed a petition to get one released. Not to deflate the people that were involved in the petition or anything.