How will you play the new macross game

jwinges

The new macross game for PS2 how will you play it?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. The new macross game for PS2 how will you play it?

• Modchip
    • Slidecard
    • Emulator
    • Not getting it
    • Wait for ISO

Well I'm going to take a look at those boot disks, if they work, I'll be using those.

On a note about modchips, I've heard that now if you want to go online there's stuff out there that will scan your system to see if it's modded or not. Though I don't know what will happen if it detects that your system is modded...

Edited by Druna Skass

what's a slide card?

i've got the PS2 Cover with the boot disk system, it's worked fine for my imports to date (well, just the one I have right now, I play my PS1 imports on my PS1). I just finished FFX International with no problems.

Just preordered my copy of Macross. woohoo! hope it gets here before november

Edited by Chowser

oh, forgot to say, with my boot disks, I have the PS2 cover which replaces the entire outer cover.

I think there's new stuff out now where you don't have to replace the cover. I wonder if they made USB type mod chips yet. I haven't really researched it since i got the PS2 cover cheap.

I'm not sure what would happen if you went online and they detected a modded system, I don't plan on doing any online stuff with the PS2 yet, I've been using the PC, if I decide to start doing online stuff with the PS2, I'm gonna wait till next year and buy the next iteration of the PS2 with the built-in remote stuff and whatever else they were planning on doing to it. hopefully it comes in a silverish color to match the rest of my stuff :lol:

oh, forgot to say, with my boot disks, I have the PS2 cover which replaces the entire outer cover.

I think there's new stuff out now where you don't have to replace the cover. I wonder if they made USB type mod chips yet. I haven't really researched it since i got the PS2 cover cheap.

I'm not sure what would happen if you went online and they detected a modded system, I don't plan on doing any online stuff with the PS2 yet, I've been using the PC, if I decide to start doing online stuff with the PS2, I'm gonna wait till next year and buy the next iteration of the PS2 with the built-in remote stuff and whatever else they were planning on doing to it. hopefully it comes in a silverish color to match the rest of my stuff :lol:

If I understand correctly, the Slide Card is a set up where you remove only the cover for the disk tray. This card allows you to use a boot disk, slide it out and then put in the disk you want to play.

I guess it's pretty nice because you don't have to open your PS2 at all, and you can easily replace the cover of the disk tray whenever you feel the need.

Well I found these boot disks, but I'm not sure how they work http://www.easybuy2000.com/store/playstati...20II/index.html I'm looking at the swap magic ones.

We have Test PS2 systems (kinda of like dev stations) at the office. They play burns and Japanese games.

Cool. I managed to get a ps1 dev system a while back for free when the psx went out of style. They had stacks of them in storage and my friend's boss over at Midway let me have one. Hopefully when ps2 fades, I can get one of those too for that special price ;)

I'll be buying my PS2 in about two weeks time. Luckily all the small gaming shops in HK sell PS2 that are already modded. So, when I buy my PS2, it will be able to play original Japanese, US and European games, along with all bootlegs.

BTW, I'll be buying an original of the Macross game.

Graham

Well I found these boot disks, but I'm not sure how they work http://www.easybuy2000.com/store/playstati...20II/index.html I'm looking at the swap magic ones.

yep, those are the swap disks I have, you still need to buy the no solder thing with it.

they sell the swap disks seperately for people that destroyed their originals.

the thing about the swap disks, you will not be able to play PS1 imports with it. It is made for PS2 only games. At least with the method I am using. I have a modded PS1 for that.

yep, those are the swap disks I have, you still need to buy the no solder thing with it.

they sell the swap disks seperately for people that destroyed their originals.

the thing about the swap disks, you will not be able to play PS1 imports with it. It is made for PS2 only games. At least with the method I am using. I have a modded PS1 for that.

OK so what do I need and what do I do to get them to work?

As long as the new game is as good as VFX-2 I'll buy it and the slide card. If its not as good I'll probably skip it. It already looks better. I just hope that I can't beat it in a single night like I did with VFx2, M3 and VO.

I need something with enduring playability. An online feature for dogfights would be nice too... I hate split screen fighting.

Since I've received a bunch of IM's regarding the slide card way and the flip cover way, this is where I got the slide card system from:

http://www.tisinc99.com/playstation2.html

I was originally gooing to get the flip top cover but since I import very few games nowadays (I have 0 PS2 games, Macross will be the first), I went with the slide card. And no, I haven't been able to actually use it since I have no import PS2 games to try it out on. But, I have heard people using them with great results. No need to solder, no need to open your PS2, for those who don't wish to bother with it.

This is what I posted in another thread for reference:

"This might have already been covered, and I missed it, but from what I read, it is mentioned that if you want to purchase the import version of the game and be able to use it on your US version PS2, all you have to do is buy a "Boot Disc." A website is provided, which is:

PS2 Upgrades

I read on pages 1, 2 and 3 that someone says you can buy the: "Swap Magic PS2 Boot Disc"

Here is a quote from Druna Skrass:

"Well if anyone wants to get it, but not have to mod their PS2 you could get this...The Swap Magic PS2 boot disk."

What he said is then repeated, and referenced later in this thread.

I just want to clarify, and if I myself am wrong, please feel free to post the correct information. Here it goes:

If you want to modify your US version PS2 to be able to play both imported, and standard US games, you do not need a "Swap Magic PS2 Boot Disc," because if you take the time to read the product description, it says that it's entire purpose by itself is to allow people to play PS2 games that they have copied, and not import games.

Obviously, if you burn a copy of this Macross PS2 game, as opposed to buying your own, you will need the "Boot Disc."

If like most poeple, you just want to be able to play this import Macross game rather than wait and hope for an American release, all you need to buy is the "Magic Version 5/6/7," which will require that you have some soldering skills. Full instructions are included, and Radio Shack sells soldering guns for very little money. The Mod Chip costs, $39.00. The chip once installed never has to be removed, and you can read for yourself about the benefits of this specific mod chip as opposed to the other versions that are available.

I just want to clariy the difference between a "Boot Disc" and a "Mod Chip" so people know what they need. A mod chip is of course a lot cheaper than buying a brand new Japanese version PS2.

In addition, apparently a mod chip is available that does not require any soldering to be done. If someone has information about this type of mod chip, please post it. Obviously, Sony does not want it to be easy to for us to play import games.

Here is the quote:

"Requires a no solder modchip to modify your console"

I hope this helps, and if it is redundant information then so be it."

Sincerely,

Christopher B)

Abombz!! & Others,

I don't claim to be an expert on this matter, but you can see from my post above I never talked about a "Slide Card." I only talked about "Boot Discs and Mod Chips," so I am not sure yet how my specific explanation was wrong. There is obviously some confusion regarding this matter, and I'm just trying to help people know what there options are. There seem to be a few with different plus and minuses, and each product has different options.

Unless the words "Slide Card" and "Boot Disc" are interchangeable and refer to the same thing, my explanation still stands correct, and my information comes direct from the manufacturer.

Here "Abombz!!" uses the word "Slide Card," which I never personally discussed. To be honest, it would appear that a slide card is a different option that I did not even cover:

"From what I gather.... the slide card works with backup PS2 games *only* :( "

If the two are indeed different options, you might want to edit your post so people are not further confused. Correct terminology helps prevent perpetuated misinformation, which I am trying to rectify just because I want to help. I plan to buy the import and modify my PS2.

Like "Chowser" verified, the "Boot Disc" sold at the "Easy Buy" website requires a "Mod Chip" to play import games.

"Yep, those are the swap disks I have, you still need to buy the no solder thing [Mod Chip] with it. They sell the swap disks seperately for people that destroyed their originals."

Does anyone know who sells the no solder mod chips?

Sincerely,

Christopher B)

Edited by ChristopherB

ok, i just tried my swap magic discs as if i didn't buy the cover mod. it does not work, the swap magic requires some type of trick (i.e. the flip-top cover or the slide card). With the swap magic, you need to be able to change the disc without hitting the eject button.

ok, i just tried my swap magic discs as if i didn't buy the cover mod. it does not work, the swap magic requires some type of trick (i.e. the flip-top cover or the slide card). With the swap magic, you need to be able to change the disc without hitting the eject button.

The swap magic requires a mod chip. Someone posted a thread about it (I think it was bob joe mac) and turns out a mod chips is essential for the swap magic disc. :)

"The swap magic requires a mod chip. Someone posted a thread about it (I think it was bob joe mac) and turns out a mod chips is essential for the swap magic disc."

Hello,

That is exactly what my two long detailed posts have been about.

Trying to explain that you need both.

Sincerely,

Christopher B)

Edited by ChristopherB

The swap magic discs let you play imports. The slide card OR flip top cover, is required to get the disc out without the PS2 resetting...it is a mechanical way...the slide card basically pulling the tray open, and the flip top lid allows you to remove the disc without your PS2 "knowing" you are doing so.

Mod chips are another way, and I believe that this has been discussed to death in countless other threads. Most of the people here do not want to open their PS2 up...thus, no mod chips for them, even the "no solder" ones require you to open the PS2...the flip top lid (with the swap discs) requires you to replace the top half of your PS2 (though much smipler than soldering or installing a chip)...the slide card (which works WITH the swap magic discs) is the only way I know of that allows a person to play import PS2 games without much in the way of modding their system (simply removing the disc tray door which you can easily snap back on).

Again, many places sell the slide card/swap disc combo...the cheapest I've seen is from Treasure Island Sports. Their site is below:

http://www.tisinc99.com/playstation2.html

Read the product descriptions and it should make things clear.

Edited by Gaijin

K well as I posted in the other thread

The Slide card is AWESOME it plays my IMPORT copy of Super robot wars alpha 2 no problem.

Pros-

1. CHEAP like $35 US for the slide card and the two discs

2. DONT HAVE TO TAKE APART THE PS2!!!

3. The waranty stays intact

4. Pretty easy once you know how it works

Cons-

1. Takes awhile to learn how it works (took me like 10 minutes)

2. while doing the above you may ruin the plastic hook.

for #2 what I did was incase It was ruined later I used a old credit card and cut the shape out and it works just as well.

Go for the slide card it is SO easy.

Here "Abombz!!" uses the word "Slide Card," which I never personally discussed. To be honest, it would appear that a slide card is a different option that I did not even cover:

"From what I gather.... the slide card works with backup PS2 games *only*  "

Oop.... sorry, my mistake. I guess those colored "signs" are really handy. :)