Aircraft Vs Thread 4

Umm, I was just saying that topic has already been discussed here. What part of my post made you think I was being a jerk?

It's the way you come off on these boards David. Very show off know-it-all. I know this may seem weird, but most people don't troll these boards wanting or watching every single bit of posting info that comes along.

It's the way you come off on these boards David. Very show off know-it-all. I know this may seem weird, but most people don't troll these boards wanting or watching every single bit of posting info that comes along.

Yeah Jeez DH, who asked you to bring truth to the forums? Sheesh, some people.

Strange tid-bit from the movie world - the forthcoming remake of that British wartime classic, The Dambusters, is to be scripted by Stephen "Brain The Size of Kent" Fry. This has raised one or two eyebrows, especially if the rumours that Alan Davies will be taking the role of Wing Commander Guy Gibson are true... ;)

Umm, a famous british actor more known for his comedic roles, like in Wooster and Jeeves, and he usually plays the bumbling Colonel/Lord/foil in the Black Adder Series. He's written a lot of books, produced a lot of smart programs... not surprisingly he's a pretty smart guy. Google image search for him/... I think you'll recognize him.

If its the "Alan Davies" thing, this is a bit of a joke on my part. Stephen Fry hosts an unusual quiz show in the UK called "Q.I.". Its unusual because although points are awarded for correct answers, points are also taken away for "obvious" answers that are based on what might be called "man down the pub says" knowledge, rather than actual fact. Also unusually, answers can actually change between series, based on updated science; for example, in one series the question was asked "How many Moons does the Earth have?", and the answer had changed between the first time of asking and the next. [1] The audience have even won episodes on occasion.

Although the contestants are generally changed between episodes, one constant is British actor/comedian Alan Davies, who generally plays the class dunce (with scores going down to minus -50 or more... ) to Stephen Frys intellectual firepower.

[1] And if you answered "one" here - well done, you just lost ten points. :)

That stinks. I would love to see you made into a series.

:blink:

OK, I'm a tard.

LOL!

We could have spinoffs like Hingtgen: New York, and Hingtgen: Miami with David talking about airplanes in a NY accent or while driving a big ol' Hummer. :lol:

::EDIT:: Yeah, I'm a bigger tard than you...

Edited by Dante74

LOL!

We could have spinoffs like Hingtgen: New York, and Hingtgen: Miami with David talking about airplanes in a NY accent or while driving a big ol' Hummer. :lol:

::EDIT:: Yeah, I'm a bigger tard than you...

what sort of aircraft puns, one liners could we have him say?

The STOVL F-35 rolled out for the first time today:

Article

That's not a David Hingtgen/TV show pilot joke!

On a serious note: does anyone else think that big intake door they used for the production version will make a great sail for a gust to pick up and knock the aircraft over as it's trying to balance itself on a column of thrust?

Edited by Nied

That's not a David Hingtgen/TV show pilot joke!

On a serious note: does anyone else think that big intake door they used for the production version will make a great sail for a gust to pick up and knock the aircraft over as it's trying to balance itself on a column of thrust?

Because David knows that he is my batty... lol

Because David knows that he is my batty... lol

Yeah but you're the swear word replacement bot's batty. :p

Edited by Nied

Why did they change the lift-fan's door? Bi-fold doors are not complex or prone to failure or anything. Half of all airliners have bi-fold landing gear doors 99% identical in size/shape/operation to the X-35's original lift-fan doors. I can't imagine that one big huge wind-catching piece is any better, besides saving a few hundred bucks a HUNDRED MILLION BUCK plane.

Looks like they changed the way the doors open on the F-35B compared to the X-35. :blink:

The front lift fan now has a one piece door that is hinged at the rear instead of the bi-fold doors.

The two doors behind the main lift fan now seem to open in the opposite direction.

I don't think that the doors are big enough to cause any problems with crosswinds that the flight control computers can't handle.

I'm sure the engineers at Lockheed-Martin already thought of that problem, I hope. :unsure:

I just realized---does the lift fan cut rear visibility to zero? Isn't that "fighter design no-no #1?"

I just looked at the pictures and you're right, it seems the F-35B has lousy rear visibility. :wacko:

That is a major flaw for a fighter, makes me wonder what the designers were thinking :blink:

Nah, they'll be able to see everything in that crazy new helmet. =P

:lol::lol: :lol:

The sad part is that the engineers might have been actually thinking that. :rolleyes:

As one fighter pilot once told me: "Nothing beats the Mark I Mod 0 Sensor system, A.K.A. the human eye." ^_^

I just realized---does the lift fan cut rear visibility to zero? Isn't that "fighter design no-no #1?"

It is considered to be a big "thou shalt not" in terms of fighter design I thought. I'm wondering whether they think they can sneak it past as the F-35 is being touted more as a "little bomb-truck with self-defence capability" than an actual fighter (at least, that's how the Navy and Air Force over here in Blighty seem to be regarding it). In that context it would join a long-line of aircraft with that flaw - Jaguar, early GR-Harrier marks to think of just a couple.

Karl

It is considered to be a big "thou shalt not" in terms of fighter design I thought. I'm wondering whether they think they can sneak it past as the F-35 is being touted more as a "little bomb-truck with self-defence capability" than an actual fighter (at least, that's how the Navy and Air Force over here in Blighty seem to be regarding it). In that context it would join a long-line of aircraft with that flaw - Jaguar, early GR-Harrier marks to think of just a couple.

Karl

Your probably right that the F-35 is being seen as a ground attack fighter first. The F-35B especially since the U.S.M.C. air arm considers close air support as its primary job.

The problem is that some of the aircraft that the F-35 is suppose to replace, like the F-16 and the F/A-18C/D, are used in an Air-to-Air role.

It will be even more likely to be used as a fighter since the F-22 is not expected to fully replace the F-15C in U.S. Air Force service due to cost.

Actually the reason for the single lift fan door is for airflow control, the inlet doors for the main engine behind the lift fan is dual door. The single door therefore acts to split the air going to the two engines making sure that both engines get enough air.

That's always been the case. Hell didn't everyone here think all F-35 variants were going to be like that for a while because the X-35 was designed that way? I don't think it will be that big of an issue since A) two of the aircraft it's meant to replace are attack aircraft (AV-8B and GR.7/9) and one of the fighters it's meant to replace (SHAR) doesn't exactly have good rear visibility itself; and B) as someone mentioned the helmet is supposed to solve the rest. The JSF helmet definetly looks like it will be really cool, allowing the pilot to see through the whole airplane with thermal sights (and it looks pretty good when modeled by hot redheads).

That's always been the case. Hell didn't everyone here think all F-35 variants were going to be like that for a while because the X-35 was designed that way? I don't think it will be that big of an issue since A) two of the aircraft it's meant to replace are attack aircraft (AV-8B and GR.7/9) and one of the fighters it's meant to replace (SHAR) doesn't exactly have good rear visibility itself;

That's a fair point actually. The SHAR isn't exactly blessed with fantastic rear arcs either. Mind you - it was a distinct improvement on those of the GR marks that it was contemporary with (rear view.... er, you can see your headrest if you turn your head right around, was about the size of it on those).

(and it looks pretty good when modeled by hot redheads).

Most things do though....

Karl

Remember the C-5 that crashed yet broke up into just a few very large pieces? Crash animation recreation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI5xTmmPbsY

From watching the video, hopefully the cause isn't as simple as "they throttled back the wrong engine". (which has happened before, and will likely happen again) Watch N1, and throttle position. #2 is what failed and is holding at zero N1 (almost---the small amount shown is probably just windmill effect). Seems ok as they reduce thrust, but once they start throttling up to get back up on glidslope, they throttle up number TWO instead of number three. Effectively having 2 engines failed. Low, slow, with two engines out---not good.

From the crash recreation the C-5 was already below glide path when they throttled back, and unfortunately they throttled up the failed #2 engine and not the good #3 engine. I know it is possible to land a loaded C-5 with only two engines, but it cannot climb with two. IMHO if they were on proper glide slope the throttle mixup would not be a big problem, but with them being too low, this mistake proved catastrophic. :(