The Xbox 360 Thread Elite Edition

MS originally designed this system to be more compact in part to help entice the Japanese market; ironically, the PS3 is bigger then it. Considering the 360 continues to get snubbed in Japan, they should have made a bigger case and system to begin with and I think they would have avoided these problems.

So far my refurbished system has lasted me 14 months and that's after some very heavy usage. I wouldn't be surprised if I've done more gaming with my 360 (both of them) during these last two years then all my PS2 playing combined.

By my (and many other people smarter than me) understanding, the RROD plague is a design flaw. Every single Xbox of a certain mint can and will suffer that problem given the right circumstances. What those circumstances are varies between the people you talk to but the important thing is that unless you have a brand spanking new falcon chipped, new heatsinked hdmi deck (which still are not proven to be reliable yet) then you are open to the RROD failure.

So is there no definitive way to avoid RROD? Just wanted to know your opinions. The guy at my local gamestop said "if its going to happen, its going to happen".

Emajnthis on the page prior may have figured it out, but the short answer seems to be yes all old 360's will RROD.

New...??? we will see.

What happen to the team that created the first X-box? That thing is a champ.

So is there no definitive way to avoid RROD? Just wanted to know your opinions. The guy at my local gamestop said "if its going to happen, its going to happen".

I think it's possible to not get it, mine is from January of 2006 and it's running strong. ^_^

The system won't break, but it's the way that your going to take care of it that'll matter.

Now the Xbox itself was a brick man, you can throw it at the wall and it wouldn't break. XD

(I did do that actually and it still works like cake.)

What's also interesting about heatsink systems is that heatsink solution will slowly dissipate as time goes on and generally needs to be replaced every couple years (every year ideally), so unless the systems are low voltage or in other words don't produce a lot of heat (like server and laptop processors), then you'll have to replace the heatsink solution every so often so the system doesn't eventually over heat sometime down the road. Hopefully by that time the system will be obsolete and not in frequent use anyway, but assuming that these modern systems will be sticking around for awhile, that should be something to consider.

I think the last long-term console was the Jaguar.

N64 has serious controller wear issues, and everything else has entirely too many moving parts in the system. Even with just a disk drive it's ugly. Add fans, and things go downhill FAST.

The heatsink compound isn't what I'm worried about. I'm more worried about dust accumulation strangling the heatsink, and THAT takes a backseat to simple mechanical failure.

Gooooo emulators!

I think the last long-term console was the Jaguar.

N64 has serious controller wear issues, and everything else has entirely too many moving parts in the system. Even with just a disk drive it's ugly. Add fans, and things go downhill FAST.

The heatsink compound isn't what I'm worried about. I'm more worried about dust accumulation strangling the heatsink, and THAT takes a backseat to simple mechanical failure.

Gooooo emulators!

Precisely, basically, you have to treat the 360 like a computer, trouble is, there are warrantied and proprietary parts that don't allow you to take care of it like its a computer. So eventually it'll all go on a manageable system (home built computer) and all of your favorite games will be emulated.

I think it's possible to not get it, mine is from January of 2006 and it's running strong. ^_^

The system won't break, but it's the way that your going to take care of it that'll matter.

Now the Xbox itself was a brick man, you can throw it at the wall and it wouldn't break. XD

(I did do that actually and it still works like cake.)

Any tips or suggestions man? I read on kotaku.com that one member placed his console and power brick on a wire rack.

My Xbox is a first gen model and has never had the RROD (knock on wood). I've owned it for going on a year plus now.

Mine is kept on my wooden living room floor, in the corner away from sunlight and it sits right next to my floor AC vent. The AC blows right onto it. It sits upright on one of those pelican fan stands that plugs into the wall. When winter rolls around it will be moved back on top of my entertainment center away from the duct (which would then be blowing heat). I give it a blast with some CO2 every once in a while to make sure the vent holes are clear (I have a cat and no matter how big my house is or how clean I keep it her hair finds its way into nearly everything).

I only play for about an hour or so every time I use it and I routinely monitor it's case temp with my hand. I'm paranoid about it failing so to a good degree I've done everything I can (short of warranty voiding actions) to keep it running... And as such my system has never had a single problem to date. No RROD, no red rings of any sort.

It'd be easier to put it in the coolest part of the room if:

1. Power brick wasn't so huge with such a short cable. It doesn't help to have a 6ft cable to the wall, when the cable to the system is only like 18 inches.

2. Cables weren't so incredibly thick. They have like a 1ft minimum turn radius.

Some news I guess. take it with a grain of salt

As the writer of The Xbox 360 Uncloaked and Opening the Xbox, San Jose Mercury News tech writer Dean Takahashi already knows what's inside Microsoft's gaming machines. He also has some insight into what's around the bend for the console, and consequently Takahashi has reported that the next planned hardware revision for the system is codenamed "Jasper," and will debut next August.

The Xbox 360 has already undergone a handful of hardware revisions, first with the HDMI-enabled "Zephyr" motherboard that debuted with the Xbox 360 Elite (and has since found its way into standard Xbox 360s as well). Earlier this year, Takahashi also reported on "Falcon" 360 motherboards that sport cooler-running 65-nanometer CPUs under the hood, which reduces the risk of the console's now-infamous hardware failures.

Takahashi said that for "Jasper," Microsoft is giving the system a matching 65nm graphics chip and smaller memory chips. Like the 65nm CPU, the 65nm GPU will be smaller, cooler, more energy efficient, and be cheaper to produce than the 90nm chip used in previous Xbox 360 revisions. Takahashi said it is currently scheduled to roll out in new systems starting in August 2008.

A Microsoft representative told GameSpot, "We are constantly updating internal components on our consoles and therefore will not comment on details of specific components or manufacturing processes."

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6180687.html?...newstop;title;5

Aug 2008? That's a long wait. But might be worth it.

Funny that will be the date Xbox finally gives me a replacement Xbox.

They "Xbox service" keep calling and saying No and that they cannot do anything other than send out-rebuilt systems.

I now have the contact info for the legal department at Microsoft. Interesting that under their legal section they have a specific division for Xbox problems.

Buyer be warned!!!

Is that that fried video one that you still have?

This is devious but have you thought about just wrapping the thing in wool blanket and turning it on with a very seek intensive game and just waiting for it to burn out and then just call them and say [Christopher Walken] "Guess what?... RROD, bitches. Replace it."? [/Christopher Walken]

From what I understand that whole system is one long, drawn out constant cycle. The old ones break because they are badly designed, so they get sent in and fixed with the same old parts that are badly designed, meaning they break again and have to be sent back in again and on and on and on and on. You'd think after a certain amount of time it would just be cheaper for MS to just gut the systems and replace all their hardware with the newest stuff just to break the chain.

Why did Fleetwood Mac suddenly enter my mind? :ph34r:

Any tips or suggestions man? I read on kotaku.com that one member placed his console and power brick on a wire rack.

Well I keep it on wooden tile flooring next to my TV in the living room I don't place it on any stands like the majority of the people do, but I keep it standing up since it seems to gather more air that way in my house.

My house has no door access accept to bedrooms, bathrooms, and the outside. So the environment is nice and cool for the system.

It's really where your going to place it that'll matter too, my other recommendation is to keep it away from other electronics it really helps out.

I'm posting this here instead of the Halo 3 thread to avoid spoilers. I'm about 1 hour into the game and I feel.....this is really an overhyped game. It felt almost generic if not same old. Maybe its slogan "Finish The Fight" is most appropriate. Finish it.....let it end already. We're only playing the game to find out what happens. I haven't played 1 and 2 to completion so I don't know head and tail of what's goin on.....but i borrowed my friend's copy of 360 port of Halo 2 so maybe I'll be able to make out what happened.

I don't know, but I don't get the same immersion level as I did with Gears of War. That was one fantastic game and kudos to EPIC as you really felt like you were in a losing war and all hell has broken loose around you. Halo 3 feels like every other 3D FPS out there IMHO. Walk into an area....shoot down enemies....walk to the next.

Even in terms of graphics, the graphics weren't as great as most ppl make it out to be. There was no tracer fire from my assault rifle. When I hit enemy, there's no obvious blood spray or anything so half the time I'm not sure if i was hitting an enemy or not. And flashy stuff like Plasma Grenades and Plasma Pistols do not have realtime lighting around them. You fire your guns in a dark cave , and the cave doesn't light up.

Frankly I don't see what's the deal with the Halo franchise. I'm guessing its all about the Masterchief and how macho he's supposed to be. Frankly I feel Kratos is the most manly and macho game character evar. :lol:

RANT OVER.

Gah! That could instantly ruin the entire rest of the Mass Effect series. It would also explain why so many people were leaving Bioware as ME was getting finished...

I know! Up to now, as long as the game said "Bioware" on the box, it was a must-buy for me. The news that Bioware's fallen into EA's hands disturbs me far more than the Microsoft/Bungie split.

Damn it, if KOTOR III is done by Bioware for EA I hope it isn't ruined in turn by EA.

I don't think we have to worry about that. Lucasarts publishes their own games, AFAIK. Likewise, Obsidian did KOTOR II, and if anyone does KOTOR III, I'd bank on Obsidian again. Bioware and Obsidian seem to have friendly relations, but they're actually separate, so worst case scenario would be EA somehow makes money off Obsidian doing KOTOR III for Lucasarts because they're using Bioware's engine.

Multiplayer.

I played the single player Halo 1 and 2 storylines just for the story. The combat wasn't really good. But the online multiplayer for Halo 2 was good enough to keep me interested and playing actively for over a year. The multiplayer is what it's all about. Personally, I was really shocked to hear that there were only 11 maps for Halo 3 (I think it was 11). Seriously, they should have focused all their attention on the multiplayer and made the single player story an afterthought after they finished with multiplayer. I'll get a 360 around Christmas so I get the two games free, but even when I do I'll only play story mode a few times (once by myself and again with some of my friends so they know what happens and can get a feel for the controls before heading online). I can't really say for Halo 3, but Halo 2 had a decent balance in combat for the most part if you were in a decent clan.

I played the single player Halo 1 and 2 storylines just for the story. The combat wasn't really good. But the online multiplayer for Halo 2 was good enough to keep me interested and playing actively for over a year. The multiplayer is what it's all about. Personally, I was really shocked to hear that there were only 11 maps for Halo 3 (I think it was 11). Seriously, they should have focused all their attention on the multiplayer and made the single player story an afterthought after they finished with multiplayer. I'll get a 360 around Christmas so I get the two games free, but even when I do I'll only play story mode a few times (once by myself and again with some of my friends so they know what happens and can get a feel for the controls before heading online). I can't really say for Halo 3, but Halo 2 had a decent balance in combat for the most part if you were in a decent clan.

Just try out Halo 3 online, there is already a update so no doubt maps are going to be added frequently in the future.

Just try out Halo 3 online, there is already a update so no doubt maps are going to be added frequently in the future.

I'm sure they will, but it honestly shocked me that they didn't start out with more maps than that or at least give players maps from Halo 2 with better graphics. And I'm pretty sure people will have to pay for them if they want the new maps when they come out (just like they did with Halo 2 maps). I wonder how bad cheating is on Halo 3 b/c that's one of the reasons I stopped playing Halo 2 was that the cheating got so bad it wasn't fun anymore.

I'm sure they will, but it honestly shocked me that they didn't start out with more maps than that or at least give players maps from Halo 2 with better graphics. And I'm pretty sure people will have to pay for them if they want the new maps when they come out (just like they did with Halo 2 maps). I wonder how bad cheating is on Halo 3 b/c that's one of the reasons I stopped playing Halo 2 was that the cheating got so bad it wasn't fun anymore.

I have been playing for 2 weeks and I did not find any cheating so far.

But to be honest the amount of game modes does make up for the amount of maps, but the maps alone are still fun to play on. :)

Whenever I play Halo 3 online I stumble around like a drunken man, and then when I see an enemy I shoot at them and he runs up and super punches me to death. I'm terrible. :( I just can't get the hang of the control sticks.

That's multiplayer for ya there are ******** online.

My best time was when I was the juggernaut being chased and I had the beat stick (forgot the name :p) and went on a rampage of 5 people straight on, and kicked their mofos as far away as possible. :lol: