The Xbox 360 Thread Elite Edition

Yes it does. You would also have to redownload any map packs as well.

All I did was manually delete all the videos, extra themes and free (worthless) games that were pre-loaded on my hd and noticed a significant speed increase. Overall I recovered 2+ gigs of space and it does take a bit of time, but at least you know your extra maps et al will be safe.

Hmmn what? I haven't listened to any of the podcasts---I'm definitely buying the game, so I basically only look at new screenshots---don't want any spoilers.

Oh. Well, a "David Higten" (my hearing of the name) was mentioned on the podcast as asking a question. Still, it gave me an excuse to blame something regarding Mass Effect on you, so that's a win in my book B))

Really? Which one? No one ever published a full list of what questions were asked by who. Though I did submit a few. And anything you hear is probably their attempt at pronouncing it---they never asked, and there's not many of us so there's not many people who know how.

You'd think that if they asked/answered one of my questions they'd have notified me or something. Hmmn, now I'm going to have to go download it and listen.

Really? Which one? No one ever published a full list of what questions were asked by who. Though I did submit a few. And anything you hear is probably their attempt at pronouncing it---they never asked, and there's not many of us so there's not many people who know how.

You'd think that if they asked/answered one of my questions they'd have notified me or something. Hmmn, now I'm going to have to go download it and listen.

The specific question was, "Will you be able to change the height/weight of Commander Shephard" and the answer is "no". As for the rest... engh, really not worth it. Nothing was really revealed, spoilery or not.

Hmmn. I asked about height, but not weight (since there'd be an insane amount of work to make different armors for different shapes). (Because in KOTOR there were actually 3 different heights, each with a fixed weight---I figured that Mass Effect could allow at least that level of complexity). Though I think it was actually the exact same body, simply scaled +/- 10% or so from the baseline, so that all heads will still "look to be the right size".

Well looks like Halo 3 didn't kill my system, no RROD.

I'm real satisfied with this system, it has been working well since the day I got it and I'm probably going to buy a HD-DVD drive soon.

Best part is it's a January 2006 manufactured system. :)

From what I've read the new 65nm chips are only in the processor... the VPU is still running 90nm chips and it still is sammiched in under that DVD drive. Plus the internal ergonomics of the system are still pure balls. I was kind of assuming like everyone else that the new heatsink design would function better but apparently the same danger remains...

I thought all Halo versions had 65nm. It's not like MS has publically released a detailed list of exactly what processors started going into what systems when. Just a few sample numbers from people who've opened theirs up.

It's not like the 1/32 of an inch of air space that ones sitting on a flat board gets is all that critical. They get hot regardless. People who play theirs in the winter in Alaska have theirs overheat. It's completely open on every other side, and all vents/exhausts are clear. That should be more than enough for any system. If MS really wanted space on *all* sides, then there would be feet to raise it up an inch or two and they wouldn't allow vertical positioning--systems sitting vertically almost completely block off a side of openings.

MS just wants to blame everything on us IMHO, not their flawed design. Sitting on carpet directly vs that millimeter of airspace underneath it on a board probably does raise it by 1 degree. But that doesn't matter much when the system is WAY too hot regardless.

It's not like the 1/32 of an inch of air space that ones sitting on a flat board gets is all that critical. They get hot regardless. People who play theirs in the winter in Alaska have theirs overheat. It's completely open on every other side, and all vents/exhausts are clear. That should be more than enough for any system. If MS really wanted space on *all* sides, then there would be feet to raise it up an inch or two and they wouldn't allow vertical positioning--systems sitting vertically almost completely block off a side of openings.

MS just wants to blame everything on us IMHO, not their flawed design. Sitting on carpet directly vs that millimeter of airspace underneath it on a board probably does raise it by 1 degree. But that doesn't matter much when the system is WAY too hot regardless.

Sitting on carpet's been an official Bad Idea since the beginning, though.

The original Atari VCS has stickers on the bottom warning you not to set it down on carpet because it blocks the vents.

And if it can hurt THAT, then it can hurt ANYTHING.

Given the thermal load of modern computing components... even if the 360 WASN'T fundamentally flawed, sitting on a carpet would probably be a death sentence.

Sitting on carpet's been an official Bad Idea since the beginning, though.

The original Atari VCS has stickers on the bottom warning you not to set it down on carpet because it blocks the vents.

And if it can hurt THAT, then it can hurt ANYTHING.

Given the thermal load of modern computing components... even if the 360 WASN'T fundamentally flawed, sitting on a carpet would probably be a death sentence.

Yeah but you should be able to put it wherever, regardless..

But yeah I have been playing Halo 3 for 8 hours today, it's just so freaken fun man. XD

We need to resetup the macross gamertag list.

My gamertag is Ryvann.

And here is my bungie.net profile. ^_^

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Halo3/Default.aspx?player=Ryvann

I thought all Halo versions had 65nm. It's not like MS has publically released a detailed list of exactly what processors started going into what systems when. Just a few sample numbers from people who've opened theirs up.

That's what I thought too, but it turns out the early versions of the Halo 360 used the old board design. Any Halo 360 manufactured after 8-25-07 should be 65nm.

And JB0's right, placing consoles on carpet is a very bad idea. Aside from blocking vents carpets also do a great job of capturing heat. And as we all know heat travels upwards, so if you're on the 2nd story of a warm house or apartment the carpet is going to capture the heat the from floor below. Carpets also gives insects easy access to the console. With the amount of heat modern consoles generate it makes a cozy home for the buggers.

Not to mention the fact that you are essentially vacuuming your carpet with your xbox! All of those loose carpet fibers go straight into the xbox and lodge onto the cooling fins effectively blocking cooling air. If you have your 360 on the carpet then you are just asking for the RROD.

Xbox 360 Holiday bundles

It came today as Microsoft announced the bundles, packaging the Xbox 360 Premium and Elite SKUs with Forza Motorsport 2 and Marvel: Ultimate Alliance. The Premium and Elite will go for their regular prices of $349.99 and $449.99, respectively. Though no release date is given for the bundles, they have been promised to be in stores by the end of October

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3163450

Edited by dejr8bud

Just waiting for an even cheaper core with 65nm, so I can upgrade without spending TOO much money.

Local Bestbuy has 360 Halo and Elite systems $50 less than anywhere else.

They had two big piles but the manufacture dates I checked were before the "magic" August 25th.

I am going to hold off getting one to see if Microsoft will honor my request for my system to be returned or provide a new system.

Looks like I will be playing alot of Gundam on Command and Conquer.

Hey, mine's not on the carpet. (My SNES has been fine on it for many years though) (and my 360 didn't get the RROD, it had other issues)

I'll be honest, I have my doubts about the effects on non-heatsinked systems.

But once you start needing heatsinks, and especially once you start needing heatsinks AND fans, it becomes a very good idea to keep some breathing space around everything.

I'll be honest, I have my doubts about the effects on non-heatsinked systems.

But once you start needing heatsinks, and especially once you start needing heatsinks AND fans, it becomes a very good idea to keep some breathing space around everything.

What's also interesting about heatsink systems is that heatsink solution will slowly dissipate as time goes on and generally needs to be replaced every couple years (every year ideally), so unless the systems are low voltage or in other words don't produce a lot of heat (like server and laptop processors), then you'll have to replace the heatsink solution every so often so the system doesn't eventually over heat sometime down the road. Hopefully by that time the system will be obsolete and not in frequent use anyway, but assuming that these modern systems will be sticking around for awhile, that should be something to consider.