WWII Robot Attack

JELEINEN

Quite campy, but oh well. A good amount of effort put in.

Funny to see:

- The German mech's swastika is backwards on the left shoulder

- US Air Force rank chevrons and titles... when the US Air Force did not exist as a service. It was US Army Air Corps back in WWII.

- No rockets or bombs by the sortied aircraft.

Mech designs needs work, but I agree: 10x better than Michael Bay's Pearl Harbor! :lol:

Edited by Warmaker

Not bad, not bad. I suppose the purpose of this short is more about showcasing the filmmaker's talents than about realism or attention to details. Very nicely done, looks like a lot of effort was put into it. Creator tried to pay a lot of attention to details, from the smokestack on the robot's back, to the moving control surfaces on the planes--well done. Still, as mentioned before, it has a very Pearl Harbor feel to it. I HATED Pearl Harbor, thought it was a steaming pile of poo, as war movies go...

Only a couple of sticking points for me:

a. story's set in June of '43--but none of the planes he featured entered service until 1944; Spitoni shoulda done a little research

b. the pilots were all just f'ing stupid. "OMG, what is that?" *duh, let's fly within arm's reach of the big fu**er then!*

Yeah, yeah, I know the point is supposed to be about the "action," but jeez--from the numbskull pilots only attacking head-on; to the cornball zooming between ships, around cranes, flying to within 100 feet or so of the robot, through it's legs and such....come on. <_< If you go to the great lengths to make the animation so detailed and "realistic" looking, don't cop out and resort to such hokey and unbelievable stunts.

Edited by reddsun1

I was highly impressed, and I wonder how it is possible to do all that work with models, animation etc. Sure I agree with a bit unimpressive mecha designs (they did the job though), camp and so on, but it's simply amazing piece of work and shouldn't be taken too seriously, except for the superb production quality.

Thank god I never saw Pearl Harbor. :rolleyes:

Did anybody notice that when one of the P-51's crashed into the ground and then one of the crates broke open, low and behold the contents were the Ark of the Convenant (that housed the Ten Commandments) just like in Raiders of the Lost Ark! :D Also, I wonder if Jay Leno was the model for the German mecha? ;)

Other then some of the obvious flaws (ie. mirrored swastika, USAF chevrons on Army Air Corps men), nice film. :)

Man that was crap. No VF-1s, no FAST Packs, no micro missiles, etc. They were playing Star Wars music in the background for crying out loud! That didn't even really happen in WWII....

I really do wonder if some of you ever remember having an imagination of your own.

I liked it.

Edited by Chewie

not historically accurate enough for you?

:p

We haven't even got to the Invasion Stripes on the Mustangs yet!

And those were P-51Ds. In 1943.

OK ok, if they can have Giant Robots in 1943, they can have P-80s in 1942 I suppose.

Its damn good animation. Lots of attention paid to the little details on the ground and structures. I would pay to watch a full length slugfest with that kind of animation quality.

I really do wonder if some of you ever remember having an imagination of your own.

I liked it.

I was starting to wonder tha same thing. Giant robots on a rampage in WWII, and everyone's nitpicking historical deatils about the planes. I thought the whole thing was pretty fun, even the barnstorming Mustang. B))

Very impressive. I just wonder how many years it take for the Nazi bots to swim across the pacific to reach Pearl Harbor :D . I'm hoping that the Nazi bots attack London, and the Jap bot attack Peral Harbor.

Very impressive. I just wonder how many years it take for the Nazi bots to swim across the pacific to reach Pearl Harbor :D . I'm hoping that the Nazi bots attack London, and the Jap bot attack Peral Harbor.

If they can have Mecha-Nazi, I think they should have some Giant Submersible Aircraft/Mecha Carrier. Or maybe the mech has a giant disposable rocket pack?

I was starting to wonder tha same thing. Giant robots on a rampage in WWII, and everyone's nitpicking historical deatils about the planes. I thought the whole thing was pretty fun, even the barnstorming Mustang. B))

Isn't that what MW is all about? Nitpicking. :p I enjoyed the animation for what it was. I doubt the people that produced this had historical accuracy(sp) as top priority.

WWII mecha has been done before... with Japanese animation, IIRC. I never saw it, but there's stuff you'll find on the 'net for it, even model kits. The ones I've seen were only for German mechs, but had a construction style that you could draw similarities to actual Panzers, even the paint scheme. Military Modeller magazine even had a little review on one of these kits.

I wish I can remember the name of the production.

Here it comes :p ...

There was no such thing as autoloading artillery in those days also, which means all artillery pieces required gun crews.

What does that mean?

The gun crews in the German mech's forearms must have been very dizzy or got alot of motion sickness. Maybe a shell or two flying around loose :lol:

Since we had P-51's flying around with drop tanks while conducting patrols over a friendly base, sporting D-Day Invasion Stripes in 1943... in the Pacific... Why didn't any of those US Navy Battleships fire at the mech? 16-inch guns firing shells as heavy as cars at one of those mechs would be like dropping a hammer on top of a beetle :p No ship is left completely unattended!

Edited by Warmaker

Paolo Parente's DUST? Those were small ones though, Votoms sized.

Don't even talk about 16 inch guns. I suppose one could argue that the BBs were not making steam and there was no time to load and man the big rifles. But there are still heaps and heaps of 20mm and 40mm barrels (which were modelled in the animation) on those ships. After all, they bothered to use SMGs and M2s on that mech.

WWII mecha has been done before... with Japanese animation, IIRC. I never saw it, but there's stuff you'll find on the 'net for it, even model kits. The ones I've seen were only for German mechs, but had a construction style that you could draw similarities to actual Panzers, even the paint scheme. Military Modeller magazine even had a little review on one of these kits.

There was an early PS2 game called Ring of Red which sounds like this. Never heard of any kits for it though.

Here it comes :p ...

There was no such thing as autoloading artillery in those days also, which means all artillery pieces required gun crews.

What does that mean?

The gun crews in the German mech's forearms must have been very dizzy or got alot of motion sickness. Maybe a shell or two flying around loose :lol:

Excellent point on the guns.

I wonder how the robots can wade/swim in salt water with no problem but then rust up in fresh water rain.

It was a great video but all I could think of was Animal House, "... Germans bombed Pearl Harbor".

Yeah given how many airplanes had machine guns and ships had machine gun like flak cannons.

Autoloading cannons were numerous in WWII.

But you're off the mark in on one thing.

Large caliber cannons were NOT autoloading until decades later.

WWII had automatic cannons in the range of 20mm thru 40mm. The German Hs-129 airplane had a uncommon variant with a rare autoloading 75mm PaK (anti-tank cannon). But there were NO large caliber guns that autoloaded.

The famous German 88mm? No.

105mm cannons? No.

Soviet 122 or 152mm cannons? No.

Battleship 14inch thru the Yamato's massive 18inch guns? Definitely no, and entire crews were devoted to manning these guns.

Railway guns?. No, had a large logistics trail and required more men to run than merited.

There's a difference on small caliber cannons and the big caliber stuff, namely the size and weight of the rounds. It's easy to make an autoloading / feed system for smaller cannon sizes like 20mm, 37mm, etc. than something like 105mm or 16inch shells (406mm).