Japanese Recruiting Ads

JELEINEN

OK, weird...I didn't think Japan used the Rising Sun anymore since WWII?

But as to the prancing fairy sailors, well....they look like all the sailors I've ever seen. :lol:

Should be SEMEN SHIP

When I was last in Japan (02) I visited the Yokouska naval base, all the japanese subs there had the rising sun on thier masts.

OK, weird...I didn't think Japan used the Rising Sun anymore since WWII?

But as to the prancing fairy sailors, well....they look like all the sailors I've ever seen. :lol:

Should be SEMEN SHIP

Wikipedia: Flag of Japan

Japanese Military Flags

It's kind of hard getting varied historical information on some subjects (like this) on the internet without seeing a bunch of pages basically copying the other.

Anyways, it seems the "Bursting Sun Ray" flag we all know of was originally adopted in 1889 as the Naval Ensign. At the end of WWII, it was disused but readopted in the early 50's, and only the Japanese Maritime Self Defense Forces fly it.

It's definitely a highly recognizable flag, and IMO, quite unique. I can't recall of any other country's flag or ensign that look anything like it.

Some others...

Naval Jack of the United States (restarted this design in 11 Sep 2002, used to be this from 1960-2002)

Naval Ensign & Jack of Germany

Naval Ensign of the United Kingdom

Naval Ensign of Russia

Oh, and as for the "Seaman Ship" commercial... I think I prefer the US Navy's "Full Speed Ahead" or "It's not just a job. It's an adventure!" recruiting commercials :p

Speaking of the Japanese Navy... Navies around the world are widely known to be hardcore traditionalists. You sea uniforms like the "Cracker Jacks" in practically all Navies, even most Non-Western* ones, or Navies that were founded fairly recently. I wonder how different the Japanese Navy's dress uniforms are from their WWII counterparts...

* = "Hey Sailor! Yeah you in the front! Eyes straight ahead!!!"

Edited by Warmaker

That is one cheesy advert, for military service of all things! I guess if it works in the native culture, whom am I to disagree? But from my perspective, that just makes the Navy look silly.

When one stops to consider the US Navy had planned to use "In the Navy" as an official recruitment peice originally, how does this seem any worse?

Wow, now there's a little known piece of military history :)

Wow, now there's a little known piece of military history :)

I might now a thing or two about military history but I'm not a buff...

Actually for that I happened to have watched pop up video a couple times when I was bored... one of those times, In the Navy was being played.

From Wiki:

"In the Navy" is a 1979 hit song by Village People.

The music video for the song was shot with the help of the United States Navy. The Navy actually intended to use the song in promotional advertising until protests erupted over using taxpayer money for a music video of a dubious group.

Speaking of the Japanese Navy... Navies around the world are widely known to be hardcore traditionalists. You sea uniforms like the "Cracker Jacks" in practically all Navies, even most Non-Western* ones, or Navies that were founded fairly recently. I wonder how different the Japanese Navy's dress uniforms are from their WWII counterparts...

* = "Hey Sailor! Yeah you in the front! Eyes straight ahead!!!"

http://www.diggerhistory.info/images/unifo...p-uniforms5.jpg

This is the one you most commonly see in period films from around 1920-WWII

At the expense of our Canadian friends.

Don't worry, I'm sure the US recruiting ads (i.e. Army) will get their due soon enough.

Yea, they show these in theatres before the film. I don't know what's worse, the dancing sailors or presenting the military as oh so dramatically serious to the public. But then again, I've never seen any recruitment advert that I liked. Hell, even some of those lame summer flicks that basically ARE recruitment films have always failed to impress me. Genuine interest and respect for your military is worth more than any silly recruitment flick or advert.

Over here in the USA, recruiting ads go up and down in how they present the military. Of course, I'm right now an Active Duty Marine, so my opinion here will suffer a degree of bias.

When I was growing up in the 80's, the US Army's "Be all you can be" ads were fine. If I was going to join the military back then, it would have been the Army!

The 90's and into today?

The Navy, for as much flak as we give them, usually have okay commercials, though "It's not just a job. It's an adventure!" sometimes gets funny. Today it's still okay for most parts, but my only grievance with them is that they're really emphasizing the SEALs in newer ads. The SEALs are such a very, very, very small number within the Navy. Getting admission into this elite organization is hard, and getting through the school / training is that much harder with alot of people washing out. In my opinion, it's awkward to ask kids to join a Naval organization's tiniest group with an extremely large chance of never making it. And I'm not sure what happens to them if they fail the course. Maybe someone on this forum can tell who had knowledge of it.

Air Force? The USAF had decent ads back in the day. It was simple, showing F-16's, F-15's, etc. with the service song "Off we go into the wild blue yonder" playing in the background. Wasn't too flashy, but seeing the jets were nice. But I'm not too keen on their logo, but hey, whatever works for them.

Army. The Army's was decent for most parts until a few years ago. "Be all you can be" was fine. Not great, but fine. Then things went downhill with the "Army of One" ads. The best was the soldier running through the desert without a shirt, sunglasses on, rifle in hand, and dogtags swaying. Oh... my... God. Things improved just a little but it was still tacky, IMO, with "There's strong. Then there's Army Strong." Oh well, at least it's no longer "Army of One" since it seemed to push individualism over the group, the last thing you want in any military formation. I do know what they really meant with "Army of One" as a sort of unity statement for an entire Army, but the way it was presented and the way the statement sounds to many, it means individualism.

Marine Corps, my current service. I don't recall the 80's ads. But I do recall the ads from the 90's onwards. Some of ours had a bit of cheese. But we did have some great ones, the Chessboard & Pieces which alot liked. One of our recent ones with the Marine climbing to the top of a mesa, showing periods of the Marine Corps' history flashing on the mesa walls (esp. the Flag Raising on Mt.Suribachi), and finally resulting with the help of a WWII Marine at the top (the Marine Corps looks at WWII as one of its greatest eras). A friend of mine still in the Corps joined because of a commercial showing the forging of a sword :lol: Another recent commercial showing Marines throughout the various parts of its history, reciting the different names they've been called (Devildogs, Leathernecks, etc). In the end, it finishes with "They're all called Marines" with two Vietnam era Marines going down a street in Vietnam together holding an American flag.

Our slogans in our commericals / posters?

"We're looking for a few good men."

"The few... the proud... the Marines."

And for commercials on Nov.10, it doubles as a Happy Birthday Marines with "Semper Fidelis, Marines" We're the only service in the US that has an annual commerical commemorating the service's birthday, and the commerical is different every year, and shown on only that weekend of the birthday.

Lastly, the Marine ads do not promote college money, learning an occupation specialty, etc. They've traditionally only promoted for one to become a Marine, that's it.

Edited by Warmaker

I was still in the AF when the "Army of One" ads came out. I was stationed at a joint base, and man did we razz the Army guys. Mostly pointing out that the Army is bad at math.

The Air Force ones are usually OK, but showing jets is almost as bad as showing SEALs, especially since most of those commercials are targeted at people who are going to end up enlisted, and not as officers.

As for the Navy, I love the SEAL commercial with the beach and the footprints.

I remember the sword forging Marine commercial, that one stood out to me as well.

• 6 months later...
At the expense of our Canadian friends.

Don't worry, I'm sure the US recruiting ads (i.e. Army) will get their due soon enough.

I don't know about you guys, but the first clip that appears on the link is a mislabeled machinegun vs. sword. I say mislabeled, because it's a Japanese translation of a Korean TV show!

I don't know about you guys, but the first clip that appears on the link is a mislabeled machinegun vs. sword. I say mislabeled, because it's a Japanese translation of a Korean TV show!

No, that's right, but that video is years old (the last time I made someone watch it was over Christmas '05), way for that site to be on the ball!!!

The reason you probably can't find Warmaker's original link is because it's back from April. You may have to look through the archives...

Oh, yeah, but if you do click on the link and go down a bit, you'll see a video about morphing helicopter blades. The husband of one of my co-workers works at the engineering lab where they are designin all types of wonky new helicopter rotors. That's all he does all day. Pretty cool guy, even though he can't talk about 90% of what he does there...

are you sure? it looks like a korean translation of a japanese show to me.

There're similar clips from Korean shows translated and rebroadcast on Japanese TV. Watch "World's Best TV" on Mondays after "Boy Detective Conan" to see what I mean.

EDIT: my bad. I watched the clip, and it is indeed a translation of a clip from a Japanese TV show into Korean. Though, it isn't "Myth Busters", but "Trivia". A great show, that ended it's run about half a year ago; though they've had at least one two-hour special since then.

Edited by sketchley

There're similar clips from Korean shows translated and rebroadcast on Japanese TV. Watch "World's Best TV" on Mondays after "Boy Detective Conan" to see what I mean.

EDIT: my bad. I watched the clip, and it is indeed a translation of a clip from a Japanese TV show into Korean. Though, it isn't "Myth Busters", but "Trivia". A great show, that ended it's run about half a year ago; though they've had at least one two-hour special since then.

he didn't mean that it was "Myth Busters" just that it was a Japanese show that did similar kinds of things.

And everyone in that except the american gun shop owner was speaking Japanese.

I've never....never.....regretted...joining the U.S. Army straight out of HS. I wouldn't trade my life(history) in the army for anything. Some of the coolest ppl I've met have been in the army(a lot of them love Macross, Transformers, Robotech, and of course....GI Joe). Working on my 3rd reenlistment/commission.

Editted in:

MyACUs.jpg

Some of the perks of being in the U.S. Army....the toys! That's me in the WSO or whatever you call the back pilot of a AH-64D Longbow

77.jpg

DSC02595.jpg

DSC02598.jpg

PICT0141.jpg

PICT0146.jpg

Edited by Ratchet