The All Things Video Games Thread!

Damn it, I was looking up the "romance options" in the game to try to plan future plays (to see as much as possible in as little time as possible) and someone put a HUGE spoiler in it--and it really didn't even need to be there. :(

Also, Sten's hard to "gift" as he never says what he likes. I just guess, and still haven't gotten him to "one full bar past neutral".

As David noted earlier, the party banter in general is great in this game. Some of my favorites have included Leliana and Morrigan exchanging some catty dialogue while fighting over me, Ohgren suggesting that Morrigan's shapeshifting might have some perverted uses, and Shale questioning why the Maker would create birds during a theological discussion with Leliana.

I just had a conversation between Liliana and Morrigan, with Lili almost hitting on Morrigan. She kept going on and on about how she should take Morrigan shopping for some nice clothes, either silk or velvet. Liliana kept making comments about how the top would have to be low cut, and didn't stop until Morrigan demanded: "Stop staring at my breasts!" ^_^

I've never gotten that, and I had those 2 in the party for a long time. Do you have to be in Denerim or something?

Anyways---the further I go, the easier it is. Alistair/Dog/Leliana did very well in the Brecilian Forest area. Just hit level 15 (but everyone else is 14). So close to a lot of awesome abilities.

BTW--anyone know how much STR is needed to equip the very best MEDIUM armor? That's my goal for my main character.

I saw the Limited Edition of the strategey guide for Dargon Age Origins over at Best Buy today. Damned thing costs about $38.00 thereabouts. It's hardcover and seems to be signed by all the people at BioWare (I'm thinking the signatures are replicas, though.

My brother bought the game today and the softcover guide.

Banter has always been a trademark for BioWare (and *ahem*Black Isle Studios*ahem* Obsidian for that matter), so it comes to no suprise to see it here. At least the banter isn't like Mass Effect, where it was limited to the lifts in the Citidel (nice way to hide the loading, guys).

Edited by Wanzerfan

As for Modern Warfare 2, as much as I loved the previous Infinity Ward Call of Duty games I'm a little unhappy with the state of affairs for the PC version and sick of the ridiculous hype surrounding the game, especially from the crowd that doesn't play much more than Halo and Madden. So I'm actually skipping it for now. I figure after the holidays I'll find some used copies for the 360 or something.

Yeah. I prefer my FPS on the PC having features, especially sequels where you're supposed to build upon and improve from previous versions. I enjoyed MW on the PC and was looking forward to MW2 and it's PC version. But Activision's arrogance and dumbing down of the sequel turned me away from it. What was funny was seeing MW2 at Fry's Electronics. For the console versions, they were essentially out. For the PC versions, there were stacks upon stacks of them on the shelves, untouched and will be collecting dust.

The PC FPS crowd is not impressed :lol: The sad part is that the COD franchise found it's initial success and chances for followups because of the PC gaming crowd. But I guess Activision hates us now.

As far as MW's hype goes, yeah it's out of scale to what it actually does, especially on the PC where FPS games really shine. It's a good game, but compared to some other great FPS'ers on the PC, it's not all that. Same thing with Halo.

haha, leiliana died and when she woke up she remarked, "why does this keep happening to me?"

My Leliana doesn't die very often---she's most likely to be the last one standing, due to being the "archer out of the way from harm", and she's the only one I have a tactic for self-healing set up for. (since she doesn't need/use them very often). BTW, her concept art rocks, if only she looked like this in the game: http://na.llnet.bioware.cdn.ea.com/u/f/eag...t-preview-1.jpg

Tried Morrigan's personal side quest again---still not strong enough. Maybe level 16 or 17... (I've read people did it at 12, but I think that's mainly luck---I almost did it on 12, but have never gotten that close again--I'm at 15 now)

Oh my, although her expression makes it look like someone just made an off-color comment :lol:

I've been playing for a bit on normal and although the game is by no means bad the combat system and the tool tips leave a lot to be desired. I'm actually pretty disappointed as I'd come to expect a better product than this from Bioware but I guess that's my fault for having any expectations going in. I actually did the Brecilian forest first which apparently is out of order, even when they claim to have made a non linear game! Supposed to be a 7+ area apparently...

Anyone kill the Revenant in the Mage Tower? My PC is a tank, leiliana (archer), Wynne (healer) and Morrigan (frost/CC). I'm lvl 10 and magic attacks seem to do zero damage to him and show as "immune". I could slowly melee/arrow him to death but I'd waste a lot of potions. Can I come back to the tower to fight him after I clear it? For right now I've moved up to the fade part. I've been avoiding FAQs for spoilers.

In regards to the epic dialogue, I already had a very cheeky dialogue option in a conversation with Morrigan when my Mabari warhound placed a putrid hare in her pack with her unmentionables. I won't spoil it for anyone though B))

Have to love Claudia Black. I get the impression much like Richard Dean Anderson and Bruce Campbell she doesn't so much play characters as she acts as herself. I have to tip my proverbial hat to her because I was going to pass on the romance angles until I heard her voice acting and to a lesser degree her interaction(s) Alistair.

Edited by bluemax151

Tried Morrigan's personal side quest again---still not strong enough. Maybe level 16 or 17... (I've read people did it at 12, but I think that's mainly luck---I almost did it on 12, but have never gotten that close again--I'm at 15 now)

I did it at around 12, or even 10 i think. It wasn't actually that bad. Use ice arrows and put cold runes on everyone's weapons (since you don't have Morrigan to cast Frost Weapons) and make sure you bring a lot of potions. Wynne being able to heal everyone and bring back the passed-out is a huge help.

Also I don't remember where, but I found a rune that gives you a small chance of paralysis with every hit and gave it to my main character's sword. The thing is the BEST. Every now and then it kicks in, and it seems to be often against big scary opponents like Revenants.

Personally, I like the way she looked in some pre-rendered cinematics (for a trailer, I guess?)

She looks kinda like Tara Reid in that picture. :huh:

haha, leiliana died and when she woke up she remarked, "why does this keep happening to me?"

Like David, Leiliana is usually the last go down for me. Amusingly, though, I took Ohgren with me right around the time he joined my party, because I figured there might be some plot stuff relevant to him. I didn't have any decent gear for him on me, and it seemed like he was rushing headlong into every fight, where he'd promptly get slaughtered. By the time we got to the... boss encounter... of that area, he had something like eight or nine injuries because I wasn't wasting my injury kits on him anymore.

What amused me, though, was after one encounter he was getting up and muttering, "This usually never happens to me." I'm thinking, "Are you kidding me? It's happened a dozen times already since I brought you down here!"

BTW--anyone know how much STR is needed to equip the very best MEDIUM armor? That's my goal for my main character.

If I had to guess, probably mid-20s. I know 36 or 38 for the best heavy armor, so...

Oh my, although her expression makes it look like someone just made an off-color comment :lol:

That's because she's a stuck-up, prissy little- *ahem* sorry 'bout that ^_^ And no matter what my opinions on her are, I keep getting her approval instead of Morrigan!

In regards to the epic dialogue, I already had a very cheeky dialogue option in a conversation with Morrigan when my Mabari warhound placed a putrid hare in her pack with her unmentionables. I won't spoil it for anyone though B))

I keep going back to Dog to see if anyone else has some nifty words to share with the hound :)

She looks kinda like Tara Reid in that picture. :huh:

Like David, Leiliana is usually the last go down for me. Amusingly, though, I took Ohgren with me right around the time he joined my party, because I figured there might be some plot stuff relevant to him. I didn't have any decent gear for him on me, and it seemed like he was rushing headlong into every fight, where he'd promptly get slaughtered. By the time we got to the... boss encounter... of that area, he had something like eight or nine injuries because I wasn't wasting my injury kits on him anymore.

What amused me, though, was after one encounter he was getting up and muttering, "This usually never happens to me." I'm thinking, "Are you kidding me? It's happened a dozen times already since I brought you down here!"

If I had to guess, probably mid-20s. I know 36 or 38 for the best heavy armor, so...

Check his Tactics (The best analogy I have is the Gambit system from Final Fantasy XII) area of his character sheet. His presets probably geared along the lines of "There's the Enemy, let me give them a blade enima!" Fiddle with the tactics a bit so he doesn't run headlong into a battle where he ends up getting squeegeed. Ohgren is also probably geared twords being a Claymore Andre Dawson (or Leon Durahm if you will; ahh hell with it Barry Bonds, you guys happy now?). That's because two-handed weapons offer you less defense options than you would have if you either went twin baldes a al Drizzt Do 'Urden, or sword and board like your basic English knight. A high Constitution equivelent helps in this area, too.

Edited by Wanzerfan

Check his Tactics (The best analogy I have is the Gambit system from Final Fantasy XII) area of his character sheet. His presets probably geared along the lines of "There's the Enemy, let me give them a blade enima!" Fiddle with the tactics a bit so he doesn't run headlong into a battle where he ends up getting squeegeed. Ohgren is also probably geared twords being a Claymore Andre Dawson (or Leon Durahm if you will; ahh hell with it Barry Bonds, you guys happy now?). That's because two-handed weapons offer you less defense options than you would have if you either went twin baldes a al Drizzt Do 'Urden, or sword and board like your basic English knight. A high Constitution equivelent helps in this area, too.

Oh, it's irrelevant now. I'm done with Orzammar, and I haven't taken Ohgren with me since. My default party is Leiliana (ranged fighting and lock-picking), Morrigan (massive spell damage), myself (slice-and-dice tank) and Shale (back-up tank).

You need more than 20s for good med armor. I have med silverite at the moment and I think it needs 28 or more, will check later. Really, med armor offers similar defense to heavy/massive, and requires almost as much strength to equip----its real advantage/difference is that it saps fatigue a lot less.

Also, I encountered ANOTHER spoiler! Was looking up "gifting" lists as there's no other way I'll ever get Sten to "open up"---and the full list of recruitable characters is a heck of a spoiler, trust me. I thought Ohgren was the only one I didn't have yet..

Re: Morrigan's quest. I think I just sold off my paralysis runes. Ice arrows--I'd need like 100 and that'd cost a ton of money. Leliana blows through the 20 I have like THAT. I spent big bucks getting a grandmaster frost rune, paired with a regular one, so my main sword is about as ice-damaging as it gets.

I'm actually thinking about switching to being an archer just for that fight---while my PC has NO archery skills, I do have very high dex and can equip what I think is one of the best bows in the game (it's 99% equal to Leliana's quest bow). I'll just stay far away in my fire-proof drake armor. :)

whos playing Modern Warfare 2? cuz i am and its pretty damn good,hit me up on 360 for a live match sometime GT - Vepariga.

The terror attack stage on the airport feels so wrong playing it lol,but overall great game so far..

MW2 is probably the most fun I've had playing video games ever. I wonder if it's wrong that I enjoyed the airport level. there's nothing I don't like about this game, except for the stupid akimbo crap, people are finally starting to use it in mulitplayer and it's the dumbest thing ever.

and if you haven't already, go give the museum level a try (don't forget to hit the big red button) ^_^

The PC FPS crowd is not impressed :lol: The sad part is that the COD franchise found it's initial success and chances for followups because of the PC gaming crowd. But I guess Activision hates us now.

Activision realizes that PC is dead as a mainstream gaming platform. If you haven't already realized this, you're in denial. sorry to break it to you but computer<console. :mellow: (unless you play RTS's or MMO's, but if that's the case you never come out of your basement anyways.)

Well, I beat Morrigan's side-quest. (trying to be spoiler-free here). I basically cheated---the improved drake-scale armor is nigh-flame-proof. So I just stood there shooting arrows, as you'll only encounter fire attacks when at a distance. Alistair just dies SO fast in melee it's not worth healing nor reviving--won't take any melee along for future similar situations. Arrows, arrows, and more arrows...

Anyone kill the Revenant in the Mage Tower? My PC is a tank, leiliana (archer), Wynne (healer) and Morrigan (frost/CC). I'm lvl 10 and magic attacks seem to do zero damage to him and show as "immune". I could slowly melee/arrow him to death but I'd waste a lot of potions. Can I come back to the tower to fight him after I clear it? For right now I've moved up to the fade part. I've been avoiding FAQs for spoilers.

Have to love Claudia Black. I get the impression much like Richard Dean Anderson and Bruce Campbell she doesn't so much play characters as she acts as herself. I have to tip my proverbial hat to her because I was going to pass on the romance angles until I heard her voice acting and to a lesser degree her interaction(s) Alistair.

The Revenant in the Mage Tower is a BEAST (and looks the part) if you rely on getting up in someone's face to do damage. It's attacks are close range AOE and they hurt. Best bet is getting your best melee defense / tank up on him. Have dedicated healer on him, and the rest of the team stand back and hit from afar. The Revenant resists quite a bunch of magical attacks, FYI, and is weak against physical damage. But if your physical damage dealing is mostly done via melee, your healer(s) will have a tough time keeping the melee'ers alive. It's a really nasty beast and I can't imagine having to fight that thing with any enemy helpers around.

I tried it a few times when I did my original run through the Mage Tower (2H warrior PC, Alistair, Morrigan, Wynn). I was around Lv10 or something. I went back later on as Lv12 and the thing still hurts (2H Warrior PC, Sten 2H, Morrigan, Leiliana Bard). I should've had an easier time the first time around with a Wynn and Morrigan around, but one hit and they were almost dead. It didn't help that my Melee guys were getting chopped up in less than a handful of swings each. I'd also been slogging through the tower using up alot of potions.

The Fade portion for the Tower was annoying. A few neat things but overall I wasn't fond of that part of the story.

Regarding Sten: He's nice to have along in a group to hear his comments. He sees things at a different light and is extremely blunt. Also, Wynn's interaction with the dog is funny. I think she's the only one the dog is actually fearful of.

Activision realizes that PC is dead as a mainstream gaming platform. If you haven't already realized this, you're in denial. sorry to break it to you but computer<console. :mellow: (unless you play RTS's or MMO's, but if that's the case you never come out of your basement anyways.)

Oh, I know game developers have long since jumped on the console bandwagon for years now. Still, there are alot of aspects in gaming that consoles will never go (or I don't see any movement towards) and the PC crowd has the advantage of:

FPS - I hear of guys talk about multiplayer on a console with a dozen or so, maybe 20 or so players, and is fun. I break the news to them that PC FPS has been doing better on that for years. BF2, BF2142 for example, with 64 players in a session is remarkably fun and keeps you on your toes, especially with larger maps to account for those players. I then talk about vehicles (gunships, jets, jeeps/FAVs, tanks, APCs, etc, and oftenly having multi crews). BF2 is old, but you might be surprised knowing how active it is still, especially after the 1.5 patch. Not to mention that the FPS genre originated here, on the PC. Don't want to mess with all those tanks blowing your sniper away in that building? Fine, filter the servers for "Infantry Only" ones. All the cutting edge stuff started out on the PC, and will continue, with help from developers and the mod community. Speaking of the mod community...

Mods - One of the biggest advantages of playing on a PC are the use of mods. PC gamers expect a decent to a great degree of moddability from PC games. Mods bring the potential of tweaking a game to certain playstyles. They can be small tweaks or the all encompassing "total conversions" where the original game is essentially changed to something else entirely (Star Wars First Strike for BF2142, for example). Mods potentially bring alot of new life in a game, since they can change quite a bit from the original "vanilla" version. So many genres are affected by Mods on the PC. Everything from RTS, FPS, RPGs, Strategy, and even MMORPGs (to very limited extents). When I get on forums discussing mods to such games as Fallout 3, Oblivion, etc., that have cross platform versions, there's usually someone asking if the mod can be used on the PS3/360. Sorry man, you can't. The developers won't allow it, or are extremely reluctant to even try on the consoles. But mods are expected on the PC, and when a new game comes out, half the fun is wondering what kind of mods will be possible from the community, especially when the original developers release mod tools for the community to use.

RTS - Consoles can do this also, but the controls are something to be desired. RTS is far more friendly with a mouse and keyboard.

Wargames / Strategy Games - If you're really into this genre, the PC is the home for these games. From the lighter stuff like Civ games, to the hardcore wargames that are closer to board games ("Korsun Pocket" for WWII Eastern Front level of calamity; "Combat Mission" series of games).

Simulations - I'm talking about sims like IL-2, Falcon 4.0, T-34 vs Tiger, MS Flight Simulator, etc. The PC is the bonafide home to sims. Home to the lighter stuff and of course the hardcore simulations, and it's been that way for a long time, at least since I jumped into the PC gaming scene in 1997. The wide variety of accessories are there. The market for Sims is small now, not like the glory days of the 90s. But the dedication of the community and mod support keeps alot of titles still going. That is why people still play an old game like Falcon 4.0 which by now is fixed, heavily modified, etc. compared to it's original release version in 1998. Are there any console games still that old still being played (and drastically improved upon) on the same platform?

MMO's - The PC reigns supreme here. All the big name MMOs are on the PC, all the upcoming MMOs that are taking that shot for #1 MMO are coming out for the PC. 'Nuff said on that.

Not bagging the consoles. Heck, I of course started my video gaming there and was hardcore into my rigs for a long time (ended with my Saturn & PS1) until I toyed with PC gaming on my friend's computer in '97 and haven't had enough of it since. There's some games / franchises on the consoles that are outstanding in their own right (fighting games, which I still love... just don't come off right on the PC. Only SFIV made great moves towards the PC crowd, and I'm enjoying it). But the options across more genres, mods, and multiplaying for me are just better on the PC.

The numbers and dollars are in the consoles, but the variety, multiplaying, and mods are on the PC.

Edited by Warmaker

Sten never says much in my experience, though what he does is good. 2nd time around I plan to have him around a lot more, as now I know his likes/dislikes a lot better and will be able to actually get him more than 1 or 2 points about "neutral".

I kind of suspect that since Alistair and Morrigan etc are "main" characters, the game kind of "prefers" to have them speak, and only does the others when the main ones are "out" of things to say for that area/situation. (because I hear a lot more Morrigan than I should, based on how much she's in my party---I don't put her in that much)

Also--Mage tower revenant *is* nasty. But my personal rule is to never leave a revenant unvanquished---there's too many and you'll forget where they are trying to get then later. (there better be a good reward for finishing that quest--I've got 4 of the 6 "main" ones now, having killed maybe 7 revenants total)

Sten never says much in my experience, though what he does is good. 2nd time around I plan to have him around a lot more, as now I know his likes/dislikes a lot better and will be able to actually get him more than 1 or 2 points about "neutral".

I kind of suspect that since Alistair and Morrigan etc are "main" characters, the game kind of "prefers" to have them speak, and only does the others when the main ones are "out" of things to say for that area/situation. (because I hear a lot more Morrigan than I should, based on how much she's in my party---I don't put her in that much)

Also--Mage tower revenant *is* nasty. But my personal rule is to never leave a revenant unvanquished---there's too many and you'll forget where they are trying to get then later. (there better be a good reward for finishing that quest--I've got 4 of the 6 "main" ones now, having killed maybe 7 revenants total)

I'm having a hard time getting favor with Alistair and Sten. Maybe my PC is too "busy" with Morrigan :lol: I got some favor with Alistair but everything just "stops" with him. Sten is hard to figure out.

I went back after finishing the Tower and with a few more stat points and much better armour for my PC (tank) it took a few tedious minutes but I felled the Revenant even with the mages doing Zero damage. Morrigan's frost would still slow/freeze. His drops were lackluster to say the least.

Sten's kind of odd. I went through a whole sequence of dialogue with him figuring I did poorly and I'd have to reload and like *poof* +22 or something. Usually I'd get +1/2 or zero before that.

Oh, I know game developers have long since jumped on the console bandwagon for years now. Still, there are alot of aspects in gaming that consoles will never go (or I don't see any movement towards) and the PC crowd has the advantage of:

eh... I don't really seen any of those things as advantages, and I could honestly care less if consoles never end up going in that direction.

FPS: I never really been all that in to games like battlefield with big vehicle maps and lots of people, vehicles = awful gameplay experience, I really have never found vehicles fun, they never handle well and they become the focus of the game, with a small fraction of the players actually able to make any use of them and everyone else ends running around trying to not get killed by the guy in the tank/helicopter rather than actually play the game. And it's not like such gameplay can't be done on a console if developers wanted to, It's more that the demand just isn't there. People by and large want faster, more aggressive gameplay. personally I do to.

Also I very much prefer the actual act of getting into and playing a game on a console. there's no messing with servers and finding a game room that's actually the mode you want to play, has people who aren't going to kick you unless you agree to play snipers only or some stupid poo, and isn't going to force you to upload a bunch or horrible sound clips that you have to suffer through all game. I love the on a console you just fire up the game, pick a game mode and play, all the headache inducing work is done by the machine.

Mods: I've never been much of a fan of them, after all 90% of them are crap. I don't really see the draw of downloading something that's rarely all that fun, has no technical support and frequently doesn't even run all that well. which bring me to something else that I really like about consoles; they are very stable things, I have a lot fewer problems with crashes, lag and other unexplainable quirks on my Xbox than I did on my PC even at the best of times.

of course that probably has to do with the fact that the games are tailored to the specific architecture and hardware of a console and it doesn't have a half dozen programs trying to run in the background. :rolleyes:

And I like that on a console you buy 1 box, plug it into your TV and you're good to go. no installation, no OS to install, I don't have to spend 3-5 grand just to make the latest games run smoothly. not to mention I just like feel of a controller over a keyboard and mouse.

And as for genre's other than first person shooters; well, I'd say consoles have the advantage in fighting games, racing games, action/adventure games, and even flight games (more arcade stile ones like Ace combat) all play better on console.

So all the PC has is TRS's, wargames, MMO's and Hardcore sim games. All of which are ultra niche genres that I frankly don't find at all fun.

Consoles are quickly encroaching on the reliability issues most people associate with PCs. 360 has red rings of death and PS3 has yellow lights of death, buggy firmware updates, adverts on your desktops and at launch if you put the effort out to find deals you could build a PC sans monitor, keyboard, mouse etc for about their price. Heck most newer tv's even accept monitor inputs or video cards have HDMI outputs.

Consoles are basically essential for software from JPN as anything I'm interested from that region is rarely ported to a PC. Given a choice though for anything FPS related the mouse is king for aiming hands down. Not to mention most the games just run better on my PC. Borderlands for instance is way clearer on my PC than 360 and the "fog of war" so to speak of the draw distance(?) is not nearly as bad.

Fighting games and racing games should stay in the arcade IMO but that's not going to happen obviously as arcades are dying. Play for those genres on consoles and PCs is really lacking without some really great and possibly expensive peripherals.