The Gurren Lagann Thread.

Quick question about the DVDs that are out now - are there any special features on them? or is it a straight Japanese sub only?

I'm thinking about waiting for the dubbed versions to come out just so I can get my wife to watch it with me (she hates reading subs).

There really isn't much on the Bandai release in terms of extras. I haven't done too much fiddling with mine, but it looks like sub only, Japanese audio. As for extras, basically just clean (textless) opening and closing credits. It's pretty cut and dry.

Personally I think the effort for the Dub was anything but decent. The Japanese actors all had passion and enthusiasm behind their lines. The US voice actors really sounded like they were reading off the paper.

I agree that dubs seem to always lack the passion and energy that makes a series great.

Most dubs I've seen are watered down, with the energy of a 71 year old narcoleptic. The lines are just read off the paper. I really wish that voice actors would watch a straight sub and at least try to get into their characters.

I agree that dubs seem to always lack the passion and energy that makes a series great.

Most dubs I've seen are watered down, with the energy of a 71 year old narcoleptic. The lines are just read off the paper. I really wish that voice actors would watch a straight sub and at least try to get into their characters.

I generally dispise dubs too. However most of the Miyazaki dubs by disney are really well done. Of course they have the budget to do it right. Another Dub that I did not mind was the dub to Akira but that may have just been my 420.

Also, to be fair to the Gurren Lagann DVD's, it's not like Bandai usually puts more extra's than clean openings/endings anyway, so again, it's not like anything aside from a bad dub is missing.

I generally dispise dubs too. However most of the Miyazaki dubs by disney are really well done. Of course they have the budget to do it right. Another Dub that I did not mind was the dub to Akira but that may have just been my 420.

Very true about the Disney dubs, they have the budget and the strings to pull to get very talented people behind the microphone.

I'm still going to wait for the dubbed versions to be released, I'll watch it in subs, but the wife and kids will demand the dubs.

Wow. Spread legs are always THE WIN.

Anyways. Farewell, My Friends > Later Buddy <_<

So. Gurren-Lagann Volume #2 hit stores yesterday. Who's got it?

GL is one of the better deals price wise for anime. I remember shelling out like 30 usd for 4 episodes of Evangelion. Now I pay 20 and get 9.

Those revoltechs are awesome. Have Lazengann and the normal GL myself. Both really nice figures, though GL is slightly nicer.

Leeron's definitely good. Yoko too.

Kittan was awesome. The sisters were just fine.

Simon is still growing into it but getting better.

Kamina showed promise with episode three.

It by all means isn't "crap".

Does anyone know of a currently existing or upcoming art book for this series? My snooping has yielded little.

There's Groundwork of Gurren-Lagann #1 and #2.

The Yoko AND Nia Photobooks. I'm kicking myself in the arse for NOT getting them at SDCC (no tax).

The Drill/Mook books.

...and a few more that I know Kinokuniya has in stock.

How come that dub box is so big? Isn't GL pretty thin with only 3 DVD cases? Or do these cost more and has more content? I like the cheap sub version, so a bit surprised there is another version of it coming out.

Looks like the Revoltech TTGL is a very good bang for the buck. It looks so huge, but still cost standard 1995yen. Very nice.

How come that dub box is so big? Isn't GL pretty thin with only 3 DVD cases? Or do these cost more and has more content? I like the cheap sub version, so a bit surprised there is another version of it coming out.

Looks like the Revoltech TTGL is a very good bang for the buck. It looks so huge, but still cost standard 1995yen. Very nice.

Well the subbed version is only 3 cases with 2 DVD's per case. Perhaps they are breaking it up more for the dubbed version. Also Amazon has Gurren Lagann set 3 (the final sub set) as coming out on September 2. So if that's right, not much of a wait at all for those who want the subbed version.