New Firefox = Crashing?

Howdy All,

I'm trying to sort out some stability problems with a system that was perfectly fine for several months. I thought I had the problem licked. . . but then out of nowhere, I started getting random Firefox crashes ("Firefox encountered a problem and will close. . .") only while browsing discussion forums. Especially when replying. Indeed, it seems to strike most often when I repeatedly press "Enter" as I would when finishing a paragraph and beginning another.

So, I'm sitting here trying to figure out if I have some obscure problem (since the rest of the system now seems fine) or if it might be a result of the recent update to Firefox 2.0.0.3.

So, what's my point? Has anyone else who has recently updated to Firefox 2.0.0.3 noticed these crashes recently where there were none before?

If yes, then I can stop hunting around for phantom issues and enjoy my now-stable computer. I've reverted back to Firefox 2.0.0.2 just in case it was indeed the update.

Best,

H

That happened to me a lot with the last update for Firefox v1.x before I upgraded to 2.x. That used to drive me batty.

Mine is now 2.0.0.2 and there are no problems. Just to let you know....and be envious. :p

I've been using 2.0.0.3 since it was released, and haven't had any problems.

Both system I use it on are XP Professional - I don't know if I have 2.0.0.3 on my 2k system upstairs, but regardless I've yet to experience the problems you are having...

Edited by fulcy

My office was having really, really bad crashing issues with Firefox about a week ago. All of our work boxes run FF and TB for internet and a good number of them (almost all were WinXP Office, SP2) were having crashing issues, usually on message boards. My personal machine in my office in particular was rampantly crashing regularly on AnimePunch forums. I'd be halfway through typing a response and *bing!* crash. I also noticed FF would "hang" on Gmail... I'd go to the site and it would just lock up for like a minute before it let you do anything. Then you'd click an email to read it and it would hang up again for a minute or so. If I remember right about a week ago we noticed FF wanted to update itself from 2.0.0.2 to 2.0.0.3 (I might have those numbers wrong, going from memory here). Since then we have had no crashes.

Well, new theory is that Firefox hates my overclock on this replacement motherboard. Didn't have this problem on old motherboard. :(

Odd, yes, but that's the trend I'm seeing. The system is rock-solid stable otherwise (can loop Prime95x2 and 3DMark06 concurrently for 24 hours).

Rig is:

Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.375GHz w/ Thermalright SI-128

Dual NVIDIA 8800GTX SLi (BFG)

2GB G.Skill 6400 4-4-4-12

eVGA 680i SLi Motherboard

Creative X-fi Platinum

PCP&C Silencer 750 Quad

Sony GDM-FW900 24" Widescreen CRT -- Best Monitor Ever!

Damn that's a beast of a setup....

Yeah, had it since November. Managed to keep from bragging about it until now. :p

Though, over the last month, it's gone to hell. . . so not much to brag about. The nvidia 680i chipset doesn't seem fully cooked yet. Though, before having these stability issues, I would have told people saying so that they were crazy. :lol:

Some googling turns up some results. Not totally isolated. Others have the "crash when replying" bug on message boards.

I just wish it wasn't so sporadic so I could track down the cause easier and test for it.

Best,

H

Vista scares me, like when i went to XP, a ton of specialty programs I had didnt work. Id hate to go through the same thing again

I'm going through that right now. <_< Damn mkv codecs screwed up Vista to the point that my laptop doesn't know it has a dvd drive on board.

Edited by Dante74

yeah... early adooption was rough... my headphone jack didn't work, my bluetooth doesn't work (I need to try installing the drivers in safe mode), it took a few weeks for ATI to come out with stable video drivers. and vista is still a little wonky... like file transfers can sometimes take forver. TINY file transfers like deleting torrent files can take a better part of a minute sometimes and other times go through smoothly.

I'd say wait until the driver support is more mature and until MS releases SP 1 if you can.

Failing to find out what it is, are your drivers working with Vista there Hurin? I noticed you got an NVIDIA Card, and I thought that that they haven't made proper working drivers for them yet. I want to know before I upgrade my Tablet to Vista.

well....I guess it's sorta nice to see it isn't just happening to me.

I was engaging in my moderating duties at my other forum I belong to, and it crashed every....15 minutes or so.

well....I guess it's sorta nice to see it isn't just happening to me.

I was engaging in my moderating duties at my other forum I belong to, and it crashed every....15 minutes or so.

I've definitely found that it happens when I press ENTER a few times rapidly. As I do between paragraphs.

It didn't happen on the old motherboard though. . . odd.

• 2 weeks later...

Replaced my motherboard and power supply for unrelated reasons. Still getting the same crashing when I rapidly press enter while posting/replying.

So, wasn't my motherboard.

I'm thinking it could be my keyboard and its USB interface. How many of you above who are not seeing this behavior at all are using USB keyboards?

B

I'm thinking it could be my keyboard and its USB interface. How many of you above who are not seeing this behavior at all are using USB keyboards?

Me. I use a USB keyboard at work and I've never had any problems with MW.

Me. I use a USB keyboard at work and I've never had any problems with MW.

Yeah, there's got to be third factor here. Like the make/model of my keyboard (Saitek Eclipse II).

I'll plug in a different one and see if it continues.

Yeah a few weeks back mine was crashing all the time during postings at forums and on Ebay searches. I did consider it was time to roll back the previous version or shut down my addons or themes. The add ons and themes made no difference. I has been fine now for a while. one thing I did do was turn off the automatic error report thing Firefox can do, it stopped crashing after that.

All I can say is thank the gods for the recently closed tabs options in the history tab.

Odd, you'd think that going to Vista would have shaken things up enough that the problem would not exist in it. But, was just goofing around with Vista, and it will still crash when I reply and go "tap tap tap" on the entery key. Like in XP, it's only every tenth time or so.

Ah well. . . it's the same executable, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. One of these days I'll try an older keyboard. Even a non-USB one. But as it stands, things are tolerable. I'll just try to ignore it until another few Firefox versions come out.

Mine fell over for the first time in ages last night. Wasnt on MW or any forum but was just reading some info pages on a web site I had another tab open (eBay). It triggered the Microsoft a problem has occured window which i sent anyhow as the boys at Redmond probably hate recieving them when they are all about Firefox. Appon a restart of Firefox it just asked if I wanted to recover the crashed session. Once it did it was business as usual.

Have you tried the add on that allows you to open pages in Firefox but with in a IE tab ? This helped me as my Router web pages and SM forum behave erratically when open in Firefox.

Edited by big F

Weird, but this just started happening to me this week. Firefox just closes for no reason. I could be in the middle of a post or just browsing a website. Boom, it's gone. Doesn't happen often, but even twice in the last week is too much. Never happened before.