macross fan-fictions

s001

C'mon guys, so many good critics in the other topics and you can't imagine an original story. Well, I have a good one I guess, but I have to wait and see what the upcoming new macross series is about.

As for designing my own vf yes, is pretty difficult. Kawamori is the best at what he does. B))

Hey, what about that ideas floating in your heads? Let us know.

I've got an idea. Unfortunatly for me (maybe fortunately for everyone else) i haven't actually gotten to write it yet because i really hate my own writing style. Planning is well on its way though.

Lets say it's about the Megaroad-01, time travel, and not Hikaru, Misa, or Minmei (well, not really)

Edited by RDClip

fan fiction threads use to be locked by mods. Unless they had illustrations or pictures that went with them... I like that idea, keeps the creativity in check.

I think there at least should be one thread on the subject. I'm sure many people have some good ideas, and at least some of them may be good writers.

However, I think this one really needs at least some links to some good fan fics to justify it's existence. Could be a work in progress thread where we could help each other out.

Play-by-post Macross RPGing is a kind of fanfic writing (call it group writing, if you will).

See my signature for an example game/squadron, on a website with a number of ongoing "fanfic" writing in the Macross universe.

You can't use words to be creative?

I can... lol.

i said "in check..."

We'd have a million threads about what happened to Rick Hunter if everyone was left to their creativity with words... just like a site that I won't name, but rhymes with schlomotechdotcom...

he, shclomotech... how's that for being creative with words...

C'mon guys, so many good critics in the other topics and you can't imagine an original story.

Actually quite the opposite, we have a large number of talented writers and artists on here, they just choose not to write fan fiction. Why you ask? Easy, fan fiction is not about being creative, fan fiction by its very nature is not creative, it is taking another persons work and adding your own story or spin to it. The majority of fan fiction simply relies on premade characters, settings, ships, universes, etc... then adds a new story to it. That is not true creativity, especially since most it, well it just stinks. I have read a fair amount of fan fiction and most of it falls into the following catagories: Fan boy wet dreams (ex: vader vs maul fight), fan boy sex dreams (ex: Misa and Minmay get drunk one night...), fan boy backlash (ex: vader's emo diary's), superships (ex: a reborn Kahn builds a 2000km long super mega ultra DY-15,000,000 to kill the federation), cross overs (ex: SW vs ST, et al), side stories aka this one time in an RPG (ex: a rebel gets caught behind enemy lines and must fight his way free). For the most part these are not well written but every once in a while a diamond in the rough comes out that is actually worth reading, if only because the writer doesn't take themselves or the subject too seriously and writes something funny.

Of course I chalk a lot of EU type books up to this too, but at least in those cases the books are for the most part well written and include some new and interesting characters. Heck take say a Zahn SW book, change the character's names and it's no longer a SW book with a little revision, which makes it good.

Actually i have a fanfic that is around in the back of my head, it's called

Macross 7: Kidou Kanntai Chronicle. It stars a UN spacy military fleet wich encounters a race wich was not created by the protoculture and have a culture of their own too. Songs are not effective this time, and the fleet has to fight the Invaders after it receives orders and reinforcements from UN Spacy HQ.

Custom destroids and heavy land warfare is inbound. Heavy use of RMS-1 Missiles too.

I might try writing something once i finish my current project. By the way, the New Macross Carrier that leads the fleet is named Shokaku. I'm also tying with the idea of having VFX-2 Ravens Squadron joining up later in the fight.

Edited by Garrick

Well, my story is located after vfx-2 in the year 2052, with my own characters and story but with the same ships and mecha (sorry I can't design my own mecha yet). And I was considering a new manga/comic style to make it. But I can't start because, maybe the new macross series is about that, and I have to design a completely new SA fleet that is required for the story.

Well, my story is located after vfx-2 in the year 2052, with my own characters and story but with the same ships and mecha (sorry I can't design my own mecha yet). And I was considering a new manga/comic style to make it. But I can't start because, maybe the new macross series is about that, and I have to design a completely new SA fleet that is required for the story.

it really shouldn't matter when the new series takes place at. If you think you have a good idea, at least you could start the planning stage (character stats, general timeline, etc) If the new series takes place at the same time, make yours a alternate universe story or modify it for a later date. if you start wring now, you might have upwards of 6 or so months until the new series starts.

I can... lol.

i said "in check..."

We'd have a million threads about what happened to Rick Hunter if everyone was left to their creativity with words... just like a site that I won't name, but rhymes with schlomotechdotcom...

he, shclomotech... how's that for being creative with words...

:lol::lol:

I can... lol.

i said "in check..."

Doesn't sound that much different from any time a thread about a possible new Macross series pops up; cue 10 pages of people throwing out their fanboy ideas for how THEY'D do it, heh.

Doesn't sound that much different from any time a thread about a possible new Macross series pops up; cue 10 pages of people throwing out their fanboy ideas for how THEY'D do it, heh.

exactly... there's enough fanfics in that section...

I don't mean to sound condescending, really I don't.

But even reading synopses of fan-fiction make me feel like a 12 year old.

Like I said, I admit to getting a great deal of enjoyment from some "immature" things...but fan-fiction is in its own category.

As has been said, it is nearly universally bad (of course, you're thinking "I'll write one of the few good ones." No you won't), but I don't know if that is its only failing.

I can't exactly put my finger on what it is, but there is something much, much lamer about fan-fiction than say...a nicely drawn fan mecha. I don't know what it is, but I can feel it.

I am perfectly happy with this board's tacit "no fan-fiction" policy.

Edited by Phyrox

This idea that somehow people who who draw are more important/better artists than writers is really insulting. Writing is just as much a valid art form as drawing.

A quick glance at RPG oriented websites will show that most original mecha designs from fans are equally terrible as fan fiction stories.

This idea that somehow people who who draw are more important/better artists than writers is really insulting. Writing is just as much a valid art form as drawing.

A quick glance at RPG oriented websites will show that most original mecha designs from fans are equally terrible as fan fiction stories.

I don't think anyone has been arguing that.

The problem is people who can't draw well usually realize such. People who can't write usually don't.

So usually we get quality visual art, and everyone and their english drop-out cousin writes.

The art on RPG websites is another story...I don't think anyone would defend that stuff

I'll just say that, as difficult as it is for me to explain the unique distaste for fan fiction, the fact that I have never once read any that was any good is not a bad justification.

Edited by Phyrox

Exactly what great fan mecha designs are you talking about? Perhaps Japanese ones from doujinshi? Show me some decent original mecha designs by English speakers.

And I don't think shitty drawers are anymore aware that they are shitty than shitty writers are. Art is art.

Well, I actually initiated this topic to promote a little the production of some good material created by fans, and to know your visions and opinions about the macross universe. That's the true intention of this forum isn't it. ;)

I'll just say that, as difficult as it is for me to explain the unique distaste for fan fiction,

it's not that unique.

The fanart isnt always great either, but people, both good and bad at it, usually lose steam with visual art and stop posting art, unless it's something they deem is incredible. then they decide to post.

But fanfic writers can go on and on and on...

It's not that the board prefer visual over written, it's just that visual artist seem to filter themselves out more.

Like Roy says, you can tell us about it, link to it, announce that you're gonna PM it to anyone intested... just dont post the entire thing.

• 2 weeks later...

i am compelled to respond to this statement...

Exactly what great fan mecha designs are you talking about? Perhaps Japanese ones from doujinshi? Show me some decent original mecha designs by English speakers.

i don't think it's fair to say English speakers can't do any good mecha.

i blame the guys that put out those horrible "How to draw mecha" books.

they can't do mecha. then they suddenly publish a book telling other people how they (can't) do mecha.

and with those the only things floating around, we end up with "crappy western mecha"

plus it's that stupid western mecha formula: MECH = TANK ...i think "Battletech" is to blame

if you were going to build something with arms, legs, & a head, that thing wouldn't be as simple as a tank! (duh)

however "smart" a tank is, a plane will always be smarter. therefore, the correct formula is MECHA = FIGHTER PLANE :lol:

those books just teach you the process of drawing mecha, but none of them teach how to do it right.

mecha is a head game. you also have to think. if you're not thinking, then you have a bad design/drawing.

of course... there's also people who can't draw at all :lol:

I'm pretty sure we can dish out decent designs right here. We're MACROSS WORLD !!!

some of us just have to "un-learn" the garbage from those said books :)

and... if anybody has nothing else better to do, i found the old design thread :ph34r:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...c=13358&hl=

I'm pretty sure we can dish out decent designs right here. We're MACROSS WORLD !!!

some of us just have to "un-learn" the garbage from those said books :)

and... if anybody has nothing else better to do, i found the old design thread :ph34r:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...c=13358&hl=

Yes, that's the attitude guys :). But this topic is not only about drawing mecha; is about everything you want to share of your own macross vision.

I don't think it's a case of English speakers not being able to do good mecha. I think it's a case of "they aren't Japanese, so whatever they produce isn't good enough to be called mecha" combined with the perception that if it doesn't look like other, established mecha (ergo copying, and not being original), it doesn't look good (thus, isn't mecha), or originality is added, making it look less like traditional, accepted mecha, and it becomes something that isn't mecha.

To further bust your noodles (and preconceptions and stereotypes): how many Japanese mecha designers speak English? Shoji Kawamori appears to have a good command of spoken English, given the amount of English included in his lineart. Thus, by the logic given, he's not a good mecha designer. @.@

(runs away and hides from the ensuing backlash)

nice perspective on things, sketchley :)

part of it might actually be your typical stereotyping,

although i'd like to think it has more to do with the mindset & training of the "aspiring mecha artist"

kinda like how guys like Adam Warren & others can't get the "manga" style right, because the western style of drawing is burned into their brains.

it's what they trained themselves to do most of their lives. suddenly, they do "manga" ? then everything goes horribly wrong.

we end up with something that "looks like" but isn't, and therefore is BAD :lol:

it's the same thing with mecha.

what were you guys trained with as your "classical style" ? east or west ?

if it's west... then i'm sorry to say it's all wrong. at least for mecha.

'cuz the so-called authorities "teaching" it, don't know half as they should :lol:

i had time with both styles & i found the eastern approach superior (i kinda buried myself in theory).

my 1st question to the mech guys i meet is usually "what's your influence?"

if they say *gasp* "Mechwarroir", i usually shake my head & go "hrrrrmmmmmm...." :lol:

*crowd goes "oooh... shouldn't have said that... we're gonna miss him, he was a nice guy"*

what's your story/stories ?

now about this writing thing... i can't. not very good anyway :lol::lol::lol:

To be honest, I think it goes well beyond what style people are trained in. Sure, that training does influence the look of the finished designs, but lets examine one core philosophical difference in culture:

Robots and their perception.

Japan - robots are your friends. They are more often then not tools for people to complete tasks with (wether that be construction, or firing a nuclear missile at close range into an enemy fleet.)

Western Countries*: robots will go mad, try to kill you, and then take over the world.

With these two fundementally opposing views, there is not only a difference in the result of designs (anime stylized robots,) but also in everyday practical applications of robots (come to Japan. See the robot caretaker of the elderly. The one who plays soccer. The company receptionist. Etc..)

Even amongst anime fans, we tend to refer to anime robots as mecha, and do not refer to non-anime robots as mecha. Maybe droids, but definitely not mecha. Are the robots in the Matrix mecha? By the Japanese definition they are. (Mecha = mechanical, as in anything mechanical created for a production.)

* I'm having a bit of trouble defining this culture. I'm using it in terms of English and of Western European decent, possibly including the non-English countries of Western Europe, but possibly not; I'm not as familiar with the science fiction and sci-fi productions from the non-English speaking European countries, but suspect it is true as all Europeans have a history of interactions with their neighbours in times yore.)

Edited by sketchley

Even amongst anime fans, we tend to refer to anime robots as mecha, and do not refer to non-anime robots as mecha. Maybe droids, but definitely not mecha. Are the robots in the Matrix mecha? By the Japanese definition they are. (Mecha = mechanical, as in anything mechanical created for a production.)

* I'm having a bit of trouble defining this culture. I'm using it in terms of English and of Western European decent, possibly including the non-English countries of Western Europe, but possibly not; I'm not as familiar with the science fiction and sci-fi productions from the non-English speaking European countries, but suspect it is true as all Europeans have a history of interactions with their neighbours in times yore.)

The British tend to be similar to the US but like their space ship stories more and also like the whole "secret wars" type scenarios compared to the in your face type conflicts seen in US SF.

From what I've seen of European SF it ranges from post apocalyptic stories and futuristic anti-establishment stories to fairly metaphysically based ideas (the French like these).

With the exception of Britain it appears most Europeans treat robots as harmless tools and focus the antagonism to biological creatures.

right on, sketchley :)

like i said, it's also the mindset of the designer, whether it's "robot eventually go berzerk" or "robot, friend..."

take this for example:

the APU in Matrix Revolutions vs the Dreadnought from Dawn of War.

they're the same thing, but why does the Dreadnought look like a much more feasible & intelligent design,

while the APU just looks badass, but pretty un-intelligent & over-elaborate? and by definition, they're both mecha.

these are some of the things we have to "un-learn" & "re-learn"

(oh my god !! science content! um, er... theory!)

anybody up for a "Mecha Boot Camp" :lol:

EDITED

Edited by UN_MARINE