Gatchaman CGI film?

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/news/comments/?entryid=394113

"Turtle" Makers to Tackle "Gatchaman" Next

Posted by Scott Weinberg on Monday, Jan. 15, 2007, 03:10 AM

Ftopel writes: "Imagi, the animation studio bringing "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" to CGI life, has set their sights next on the Japanese superhero "Gatchaman." "TMNT" director Kevin Munroe will get to work on it next.

"How I juggle is I take a laptop with me to color timing," said Munroe. "We're in the middle of the script and we're doing preproduction on Gatchaman. And it looks like it comes from the same people that brought you this but now are doing this and the whole point of it is to up the bar from what Turtles is."

Producer Thomas Gray revealed that the company has a particular attachment to the Japanese superhero genre. "Our whole reason now too is expressed in superhero," said Gray. "Most of the Japanese inspired ones, which our owner, Francis Kao was the one that said, 'I don't want to do happy talking animals anymore. I want to do what I remember as a kid growing up in Asia, that it was Gatchaman and it was Astroboy and that's what I want to make.' And we've acquired those rights."

Astroboy may be a ways off, but with Gatchaman coming up, the company is aiming to make more animated films for teens and adults. "It's a PG-13," said Munroe. "It's just fun. It's a different movie completely so it's kind of fun although it has teenagers and ninjas. Other than that, it's completely different."

Gray even considers raising the bar into more dangerous marketing territory. "This is one we're going PG-13 definitely. We put it on the pants on this one. This is going to be a very interesting film and even maybe pushing R.""

This would be a nice break from the all the Shrek and Pixar films that seem to be coming out monthly these days.

I'm 36 years old and grew up on 70's anime...

Can anyone tell me why I suddenly have the strangest feeling that I want to hurt this person?

So is TMNT (a work I have not seen yet, is it even released?) his ONLY credit in the industry?

If so I have a special message from the 70's for him in regards to scooping up the rights to make some sort of kiddized monstrousity (like Paxton did to my Beloved Thunderbirds).

Note, this screenshot has not been altered in any way...

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/getter_robo_...jpg&.src=ph

I think Boss Borot has adequately shown my feelings on this subject.

Also, if the canon pantyshot in the opening credits is missing from the new work I will boycott it...

Edited by Star Dragon

Well,he states in the interview that it's at least getting a PG-13, and maybe even an R (although if they want it to make more money I doubt it) so I will hold out hope. A CGI film would probably due Gatchaman more justice than a live-action crap fest starring some b-list stars. Although, if they cast Scarlett Johannsen as Jun I may reconsider.

Okay, a few thoughts...Gatchaman rules (given), and in order for this to be any good at all it needs not to be live action, and I hasten to add not mo-capped. I would prefer a new animated feature, but if CGI is as close as I'm going to get I'll take it. Also, I am all in favor of anything that will get me some new Gatachaman toys.

As long as they keep Juns skirt the same length, I'm not complaining. :)

As long as they show her lithe, yet supple, naked body while she's changing outfits I won't complain either...

I'm sorry, but has anybody here actually watched an episode of Gatchaman lately? Or even Battle of the Planets? The inherent goofiness of the whole sentai superteam schtick makes it nearly unwatchable today, and I dont see how anybody could take it seriously. Heck, even if it was done in a tongue in cheek manner, it would still only appeal to such a small demographic of people who'd "get" it. And why even do Gatchaman in the first place? Certainly not for the name recognition. While many of the 30+ demographic will remember BoTP, and to a lesser extent G-Force, I guarantee you that only a select few of them would be aware of its original Gatchaman incarnation.

I'm sorry, but has anybody here actually watched an episode of Gatchaman lately?

Actually, I recently finished watching the whole series. And I loved it to death. :p

Granted, there are plot-holes even a six year old could see through, but some surprises too - people in the 70s were worried about environment and energy supplies. Jun is quite possibly the smartest person on the team after Doctor Nambu, which was quite something for a portrayal of a Japanese woman in those days. And building your latest amazing mechanical machine of death out of uranium and crashing it into a plutonium store is perhaps not the easiest path to World domination... :)

i bought the first box set and hated it, but i still love the designs, the action and most of all The Phoenix. So if they can bring all of it back and put a good spin on it then I'm all for it. I'm not saying less humor, but hold the cheese please! But PLEASE keep the designs... not that crunchy upgrade crap. Yes, even the bell bottoms were cool. I like the way Alex Ross paints them on the comic book covers. He keeps them looking the same while giving them the 3D look.(not CGI 3d, but true life 3D look).

i bought the first box set and hated it, but i still love the designs, the action and most of all The Phoenix. So if they can bring all of it back and put a good spin on it then I'm all for it. I'm not saying less humor, but hold the cheese please!

I hope they squeeze in the Joe vs Ken fight. And have Joe whup Ken's butt nice.

Wonder which of the 3 God Phoenixes they would use? A new design? I personally like the 2nd one best.

i bought the first box set and hated it, but i still love the designs, the action and most of all The Phoenix. So if they can bring all of it back and put a good spin on it then I'm all for it. I'm not saying less humor, but hold the cheese please! But PLEASE keep the designs... not that crunchy upgrade crap. Yes, even the bell bottoms were cool. I like the way Alex Ross paints them on the comic book covers. He keeps them looking the same while giving them the 3D look.(not CGI 3d, but true life 3D look).

But the designs ARE part of the cheese. They're ninjas dressed as freakin BIRDS! How can you present that to an audience and expect them to not consider it cheese? And what about their signature vehicles which magically change to combine with the God Phoenix? That, my friend is 100% fromage.

Considering that Gatchaman is considered one of the founders of the sentai superteam genre, how can you remove all these goofy elements and yet be remotely faithfull?

But the designs ARE part of the cheese. They're ninjas dressed as freakin BIRDS! How can you present that to an audience and expect them to not consider it cheese? And what about their signature vehicles which magically change to combine with the God Phoenix? That, my friend is 100% fromage.

Considering that Gatchaman is considered one of the founders of the sentai superteam genre, how can you remove all these goofy elements and yet be remotely faithfull?

I could care less about faithful... haha... I'm no Gatchaman purist... as long as they keep the same characters and mechs and go from there. I grew up on BOTP... and that was way different from Gatchaman. They were on earth were the original wasn't. So I'm not attached to story... hell any of the cartoons I watched in the 70s can be changed, I can't rewatch any of them. The only thing I care about is Macross.

I could care less about faithful... haha... I'm no Gatchaman purist... as long as they keep the same characters and mechs and go from there. I grew up on BOTP... and that was way different from Gatchaman. They were on earth were the original wasn't. So I'm not attached to story... hell any of the cartoons I watched in the 70s can be changed, I can't rewatch any of them. The only thing I care about is Macross.

Soooo.... you want a modern take on BotP that removes all the sillier 1970's elements, yet features a team of scientist ninjas dressed in color-coded bird costumes? :wacko:

But if they feature that giant Turtle robot from the first episode, I'll be there opening night with you.

Soooo.... you want a modern take on BotP that removes all the sillier 1970's elements, yet features a team of scientist ninjas dressed in color-coded bird costumes? :wacko:

But if they feature that giant Turtle robot from the first episode, I'll be there opening night with you.

You know Bsu, I can sit here and describe everything to you, but I'm pretty sure you'll find a way to make it sound ridiculous because let's face it, you dont like gachaman in any which way or form. But all I can say is there's the way to make it entertaining. I can agree that 95% of the time people will frakk it up. (transformers) but like I said, the TMNT trailer looks great. If they can do that with what that trailer promises with Gachaman then I'm all for it. It's not like (some) Alex Ross's comic book isn't already doing what I'm talking about... so it's not like I'm making up what I want out of it. I'm not the one crazy with intent... YOU'RE the one insanely jealous with multi colored flying ninjus envy!

Booyah!

You know Bsu, I can sit here and describe everything to you, but I'm pretty sure you'll find a way to make it sound ridiculous because let's face it, you dont like gachaman in any which way or form.

Hey, I religiously watched BotP back in the day too. And while it's been ages since I've been in a comic store, much less looked at the Alex Ross comics, I do recall that they pretty much resembled the BotP that I remembered. And if that's what you want in a movie, then so be it. But like I said, outside of an extrordinarily small niche market, who is this supposed to appeal to?

Bomba!

Fixed. :p

But like I said, outside of an extrordinarily small niche market, who is this supposed to appeal to?

I'd imagine they're going to try and market this towards the same people who went to see the X-Men and Spiderman movies. Plus, they can rope in all the 15 year old monochromatic girls I see sitting on the floor of my local Barnes and Noble reading Inuyasha manga.

But the designs ARE part of the cheese. They're ninjas dressed as freakin BIRDS! How can you present that to an audience and expect them to not consider it cheese?

You'd present it the same way you'd present a Millionaire Orphan Detective dressed as a freakin BAT! ;)

NOT saying this will be as good as Batman Begins, but if you want to break it down to simple core descriptions then Batman at it's core sounds just as cheesy.

But why so much Haterade? Do you have some sort of financial investment in this project that worries you so much about it's target demographic?

Far worse premises for movies get greenlit so why not Gatchaman? I'm stoked that the guys at Imagi pursued this License because they are fans. Not everyone gets to work on a franchise they are passionate about, so I applaud them for doing this. They have my 10 dollars for sure.

• 2 months later...

Show me Jun! The success of this project hinges on their sexual exploitation of the "Parrot," or whatever her bird name is...

ooo schweettt!

the middle concept art looks like a force power battle lol!

Cool fight scenes.....come on, cool fight scenes that intergrate surroundings heaps! thats what i want =-)

LOL

Yeah, and you know what? Some people like cheese. I like cheesy horror movies and I dig some cheesy 70's anime. I'll check out their movie, I watched BoTP when i was little, bought and watched the entire Gatchaman series last year and enjoyed it immensely. Entertainment doesn't have to make sense for me, and I try no tto have unrealistic expectations. If you think gatchaman/botp was mind numbingly stupid, well, in the immortal words of the prophet "Everlast" ..... "If you don't get it, it wasn't for you!"

As long as they keep Juns skirt the same length, I'm not complaining. :)

Oh yeah! :unsure::lol:

I just hope there's no freaking 7-zark-7 albeit it should be a straight translation of Kagaku Ninjatai Gatchaman! IMAGI, DO your homework (director) and watch all 105 episodes of the original series! :p

Edited by gerwalk25

As soon as I make my Hollywood break, I'll buy the right of Macross and do a live action DYRL movie. I'll hire the designers of Transformers the movie to redesign the VF-1s completely (I want them all chrome) and sign Justin Timberlake to play Hikaru MUAHAHAHA!

Seriously now, I think it would be a nice touch to stick to the whole 70's aesthetics. That'd be fun. If I could, I'd do Megazone 23 with all the 80's styled mecha and the weird hairdos and makeup of Shogo's gang. Oh! and neon! Lots of neon. :D

Edited by Lonely Soldier Boy