Are these toys good for a first time collector

xsjado

I've revised my choices based on everyone's input and multiple reviews. Would this be a fun collection to you guys? And I promise I will stop posting so many questions once I make a few buys.

Thanks!

Yamato VF-1S Focker (2nd release or later. Are the stealth strike parts compatible?) 1:48

[attachmentid=39336]

Yamato VF-0A 1:60

[attachmentid=39307]

Yamato Macross Plus YF-19 1:60 (Anyone Know when the second release should be expected?)

[attachmentid=39310]

Bandai VF-1S Strike Valkyrie 1:55

[attachmentid=39335]

What's the max I should pay for a new in box for each of these?

post-4723-1167467833_thumb.jpg

post-4723-1167467868_thumb.jpg

post-4723-1167556355_thumb.jpg

post-4723-1167556367_thumb.jpg

Edited by xsjado

Ferrari, Lamborghini, Bugatti? Lol, your choices are only limited by your budget. If you're limited like most of us I would strongly suggest a 1/48 VF-1, or any of the 1/60 VF-0's. I'd stay away from the 1/60 VF-1's unless you've got the burning desire to pose them besides Yamato's new 1/60 VF-0's or '19 as I do. I'd also stay away from the 1/60 '19 until the very few bugs are worked out of the production process; there's no reason why your first time has to be THAT bad...

yeah you may want to wait on a revised yf-19 but the issues i think are minor

the 1/60 vf-1 are cool for scale and if you have limited shelf space also stay away from the first run of the VF-1

1/48 series b/c the 2nd run has modifications like the nose cone. read the review i posted for you. Also be sure

to check out the Blacklist in the For Sale section dont get scammed when buying.

definately not looking for investments. just awesome toys i can display out of package and transform every once in awhile.

My suggestion for your dilemma is to check out the merchants' listed prices of the items you're interested in, and then go to the For Sale and Trade forum and buy the item(s) that you can get for the best deal.

Edited by Wicked Ace

The first run of these had velcro window packaging. I figure that 1st editions

of these aren't circulating as much as they used to. Also just ask who ever it

is your buying from what they have. Most sellers probably have the 3rd or 4th

or 5th releases of these in stock.

Are the Yamato Macross Super & Strike Parts for the VF-1 Stealth Type compatible with the Yamato Macross VF-1S 1/48 Valkyrie Roy Focker Yamato?

thanks

It terms of having to fit the Stealth Type Super & Strike Parts, yes, but the yellow trim on the 1S FOCKER clashes with the color of the FP Armor. It looks a lot better on a 1S HIKARU and if you wanna see for yourself, check out JENIUS' posted pics and his reviews :) .

Edited by connor99

when should a second release of the YF-19 be expected?

Not anytime soon. :( Pretty much it will be released when there are 1) fixes developed for it, if at all and 2) when most stocks are cleared and suppliers are demanding more.

Edited by kensei

Here's my suggestions:

1) 1/48 VF-1S. I got the VF-1J Stealh plus Armor ordered, but this is only because I have an MP IS and a 1/100 1S and just coudln't justify it, so went with the stealth 1J - but since you're just starting your collection, then definitely get the 1S as a 1/48 since that's the best 1S out there.

2) 1/60 VE-1 Now this is very delicate, but also very fun. I like Elint Seekers; they're unique, they're intel and not combat oriented, and they are therefore integral to a mature collection - basically I don't think it's good to go only for the "big brutal" toys - get some unique mecha too.

3) The Quid Rau - I want this, either version, but simply can't justify it when I have the VF0 plus Ghost to look forward to and just ordered the Stealth 1J in order to have one of the 1/48s. But again, if you're just starting from scratch - go with this. I should have gotten one of these instead of two MP Alpha Fighters...

4) MP Shadow Alpha. This is Toynami and Robotech, but IMO a very good toy and it would diversify your collection.

The above four would be a great start to your collection... it would also give you pretty good idea of what's out there.

The 19 is wonderful and I would get it too if you can.

VFTF1

I don't know. After reading the VF-0 thread that's just been heating up in regards to problems I'm starting to think a 1/48 VF-1 would be your best bet. They've been around long enough and now in substantial quantities that the chances of buying a defective unit are "somewhat" lower. I really hope that your first buy isn't a bust...

Agreed with Myk.

As a passing description, which is not always entirely true, and don't let this put you off:

1/48 VF-1 Structure = Solid Muscle

1/60 VF-0 = Geriatric Frame with Rheumatoid Arthritis

It's a damn shame too, as I REALLY love the looks of the VF-0, and I was hoping to replace any displayed 48's with '60 scale machines like the upcoming Shin, '19, etc. I don't think I'll be buying any of those items for a while...

4) MP Shadow Alpha. This is Toynami and Robotech, but IMO a very good toy and it would diversify your collection.

VFTF1

Does the Shadow Alpha droop and have the upraised nose the same as the green and blue alphas? That really let down the fighter mode for me, and was the reason i passed on the Shadow.

Does the Shadow Alpha droop and have the upraised nose the same as the green and blue alphas? That really let down the fighter mode for me, and was the reason i passed on the Shadow.

Some do, some not so much. The Shadow is essentially the same as all the other MPCs so you have the same chance of getting one that won't sit on its chest as you do with any of the others (I'd say 50/50). Also, I've seen quite a few toys now that the people who complain the most about the arched backs of the Alphas haven't transformed them properly (it's absolutley essentially you get the crotch tabs all the way into the legs.

Here's a pic of one of my Shadows, no matter what I did I couldn't get it any flatter than this:

IPB Image

On a side note though, I don't have any of my vehicles posed sideways at exactly eye level. This is by far the least flattering angle to look at the Alpha. It looks decent from others:

IPB Image

Edited by jenius

becasue the program Im working in needs all the letters to be in caps so that it can find items in the database, which are all entered in caps. i just flick around when no ones looking ;)

they're ALWAYS looking man... ALWAYS...

but yeah, the upturned nose is why I only have one Alpha. more than the brittle plastic, weak joints, and poor QC, it just doesn't look right in fighter mode to me.