Robotech RPG

Roy Focker

Palladium News:

http://www.palladiumbooks.com/press/press2006-11a.html

Sounds like they are doing Robotech again. I guess they begged for enough money to stay in business. Their system isn't the best for Robotech. Who knows maybe this one will get caught in never to be released limbo again with all those other games they promised.

Looks like they'll be starting with Shadow Chronicles, so it might actually be some new material. I had assumed they'd just reprint the original books and half ass the whole thing in typical Paladium fashion.

Looks like they plan on releasing "supplements" so I'd guess we'll see some new stuff under the Shadow Chronicles name and then likely a bunch of reprinted information from the Invid Invasion and Lancer's Rockers in another book.

Surely it would be a gross mistake to simply reprint the originals. At the time not many knew better, but by now most potential players probably know of the many errors in translating the source material.

It would be a mistake, but that doesn't mean Palladium wouldn't do it. Look at their "revised" RIFTS edition. There's enough Robotech RPG/Palladium fanboys that would snap up reprints despite the fact their utter garbage.

The sad fact is that Robotech is not Macross, despite the name, and the use of the animation. IMHO, the fault lies totally with HG, as who are Palladium going to ask for clarifications with some of the details? The people at HG. And what are they going to say? The same stuff that was published previously, and more of it. :rolleyes:

*BARFS*

Palladium News:

http://www.palladiumbooks.com/press/press2006-11a.html

Sounds like they are doing Robotech again. I guess they begged for enough money to stay in business. Their system isn't the best for Robotech. Who knows maybe this one will get caught in never to be released limbo again with all those other games they promised.

Well now a days HG got enough geeks employed with Robotech that any questions Palladium today would get better answers.

Palladium might go cheap on this. Take the material they already wrote. Replace the rules chapters with rules from the latest version of Rift. Commission new cover art. Type up 3 new pages.

It would be a mistake, but that doesn't mean Palladium wouldn't do it. Look at their "revised" RIFTS edition. There's enough Robotech RPG/Palladium fanboys that would snap up reprints despite the fact their utter garbage.

Touche :D

One person's garbage... For proof of this, look no farther than Macross 7.

Or Robotech, for that matter. ;):p

The main problem I have with Palladium isn't with their gaming system or game mechanics. In fact, it's a fast paced system that doesn't require accounting/bookeeping skills to play/run. It the crappy backgrounds, the concepts that invite rampant munchkinism, and the poor research put into their anime related games/weapons suppliments (real world weaponry, that is). Plus, they try to do too much in one game setting. Just look at Rifts to see what I mean.

But that's just my humble opinion. Hopefully, the planned Robotech game will stick with Shadow Chronicles and not recycle the crap they shoveled to their fans (which I really don't consider myself as) in the past. But that will happen anyway, I suspect.

I have a friend who actually is working on the new release with Palladium and he said that while he cant say exactly whats going on, he did say that there will be changes and it will not merely be a rehash of the old Rifts based system.

• 4 weeks later...

Couple facts on the creation of the first Robotech RPG. When Palladium first got the license, Harmony Gold supplied them with the research material, plus some they scrounged on their own. Unfortunately, much of the japanese anime research material wasn't as thorough then as it is now. All the sources, for example, on the original valkyrie listed the standard number of missiles as "many."

In addition to that, they did have problems getting fine details out of harmony gold. One famous conversation between Kevin Siembieda and Carl Macek involved them going over the sensor systems for the veritech. Macek told Siembieda that he thought "nightvision" was a bit too advanced and science fiction-y for robotech. Yeah, nightvision.

There's a different batch of writers there now, freelancers. They're delving deeper than the original books in accuracy. Many of them are diehard Macross fans. As in distinct and different from Robotech. Though they are robotech fans as well. Of course the new stuff will be shadow chronicles if they get the license (and from what I've heard it's a virtual done deal). Harmony Gold allegedly fielded it to other companies, but were never as satisfied as they were with Palladium, which says either good things about Palladium or really bad things about the other companies that tried to pick it up, or maybe both.

Edited by Rivin

One famous conversation between Kevin Siembieda and Carl Macek involved them going over the sensor systems for the veritech. Macek told Siembieda that he thought "nightvision" was a bit too advanced and science fiction-y for robotech. Yeah, nightvision.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: