Anyone else have MISB syndrome?

Draykov

Up until the most recent Yamato 1/60 releases (VT-1, VE-1), I ended up buying two of every version. One to open and play with, one to keep MISB. I didn't start out with that intention, it just kind of worked out that way over time.

I've noticed (especially with the re-release of the Hikaru VF-1A and Roy VF-1S) a similar trend now with the Yamato 1/48 line. If this keeps up it's gonna break me. I don't resist the desire to be a 1/48 completist, but I can't do it X2. Part of me says "If you're not gonna open it, what the hell is the point?" But then my obsessive/compulsive side kicks in and reminds me how much pride of ownership swells when it comes to MISB goodness. I think I need professional help. :blink:

I follow the pattern of

get something cool without box cheap then spend lots of time tracking a box down for it so my cats don't eat it :blink:

I prefer boxed but less than 1% of my collection is sealed/unopened... not counting my spawn stuff which would disintegrate if exposed to air :blink:

I find it easy enough to remove something from box when I want to and put it back when done, and boxes stack better than loose toys. I also find that my hippie coworkes and friends are more likely to grab/drop loose stuff lying around than stacked boxes.

Oh yeah... anybody who doesn't want their boxes can always send them to me as a birthday gift :rolleyes:

I also find that my hippie coworkes and friends are more likely to grab/drop loose stuff lying around than stacked boxes.

Yes, I have one of those "bull in a china shop" friends. He gives me ulcers when he stumbles around my collection.

They look so much better displayed.

On that note, what kind of case did you get? Price? Pictures? I'd be interested in something like that.

Quoth Sting:

Free! Free! Set them Free!

It's a toy, dammit. ;)

LOL!

Yes, I know. If you love a toy, set it free. But when I see them in that clear plastic bubble and I imagine what my big, oily, gorilla hands will do to them once I get them out...

I follow the pattern of

get something cool without box cheap then spend lots of time tracking a box down for it so my cats don't eat it :blink:

I prefer boxed but less than 1% of my collection is sealed/unopened... not counting my spawn stuff which would disintegrate if exposed to air :blink:

I find it easy enough to remove something from box when I want to and put it back when done, and boxes stack better than loose toys. I also find that my hippie coworkes and friends are more likely to grab/drop loose stuff lying around than stacked boxes.

Oh yeah... anybody who doesn't want their boxes can always send them to me as a birthday gift :rolleyes:

My pattern is buy the toy, take it out and play with it, trade the boxes to kanata67. :lol:

They look so much better displayed.

On that note, what kind of case did you get? Price? Pictures? I'd be interested in something like that.

I got a curio glass display case at a local consignment center for $300. Retail was a $1000. It was a steal. There was nothing wrong with it. I think the owner just wanted to get rid of it. I don't have pictures, but I can describe it:

It looks like the front of Caesars Palace in Las Vegas. It has 4 shelves. The shelves are 34 in wide, 16 in deep, and 18 in apart. I'm able to display most of my 1/60's on one shelf in battroid mode, gerwalk, and fighter. Two shelves are going to be reserved for my 1/48 yammies, and the fourth one will be for my bandai's.

I don't really have MISB syndrome, but I do keep the boxes. Too many probably. I don't know yet if I want to keep the new TRU I have coming MISB (thanks1 VF-1 2NV) or display it. It's probably going on the shelf though. Seems kind of a waste to leave alone in the box unappreciated in storage. Someday when I have space I'll get a proper display case. I am at least very cautious handling my valks, especially about oily prints.

I am for the most part in the buy it to put it on display camp, especially for Valkyries, considering the price paid for them.

All I have that are MISB are a bunch of spawn figures, which I'll sell the bulk of one day, and several star wars figures. I binned them up a few years ago after I graduated high school so I don't remember everything that's in there even really, or know what it's worth.

If you want realinvestments call your accountant.

The thing is, I don't intend to sell them. I don't keep them that way for future value. I just do it because I'm mental. I'm not a perfectionist in the way I behave, but I have some sort of disorder when it comes to Macross toys.

I am for the most part in the buy it to put it on display camp, especially for Valkyries, considering the price paid for them.

So I'm alone in my sickness? Where's Graham? I've seen the "Great Wall of Yamato."

graham_is_insane.jpg

Edited by Draykov

(Sigh) I think I have MISB syndrome. I only do it because I have no room to put anything up. So I keep everything MISB until one day I can actually open them up. I still have all the first yamato's mac plus and vf-1's all still sealed. I still haven't been able to transform a yamato yet! :p:D:lol: I plan to, someday......

(Sigh) I think I have MISB syndrome. I only do it because I have no room to put anything up. So I keep everything MISB until one day I can actually open them up. I still have all the first yamato's mac plus and vf-1's all still sealed. I still haven't been able to transform a yamato yet!  :p  :D  :lol: I plan to, someday......

Well, at least now I know that if I started a support group, I wouldn't be the only one there. :)

Edited by Draykov

I don't understand the people that don't open these things. If you are buying them with the hopes that they will be collectible and worth lot's of money some day, then ok... But if you buy them for yourself to keep forever, then what is the point of keeping them in the boxes???

Personally, I have bought ONE of each varient, and I have opened every one of them...

I'm REALLY careful when I open the boxes, and until I get a display case, they are back in their boxes, and I can guarantee that if you were to see one of my valks in the box that you would not ever be able to tell that I opened it and took it out. I don't put the stickers on, so the book and stickers are in the bag and still stuck to the bottom of the box inserts. The only tell tail sign I have opened mine is that the seal tape has been cut carefully with an exacto.... I'm even careful not to bend the little flap on the box lid.

I think eventually I will have to flatten out the boxes to save space though... arrg.

I don't put the stickers on, so the book and stickers are in the bag and still stuck to the bottom of the box inserts.

Well if you don't put stickers on, what's the point of opening it? ;)

I don't put the stickers on, so the book and stickers are in the bag and still stuck to the bottom of the box inserts.

Well if you don't put stickers on, what's the point of opening it? ;)

I really don't mind the clean look of the valks without the stickers on it. I really just haven't got around to putting them on. So to answer your question, I open them to transform and display them..... OF COURSE! :D

I'm sorta with ya too.

I just bought a VF-1S Roy a few days ago so that I'd have one of the originals MISB. I hope this illness doesn't spread though. Because I can't afford to get two of each re-release!

I think my obsession with MISB started when I first saw a price guide for Star Wars toys. . . I had them all. . . but I kept seeing the price for onces "mint on card". . . and I thought I'd be a rich man if I had just gotten two of each. Mind you, I think I was twelve at the time. This was a long time ago!

Obviously, it doesn't work that way. . . but that's how my brain first fell in love with the look of a toy, brand-new in its box.

For the first few years of the Star Wars toys of the late 90s, I bought two (or more!) of each. . . and I have a big collection of now not-so-cool mint-on-card Star Wars toys. I'm probably gonna get rid of 'em someday soon.

Until the word of the re-releases came, I hadn't felt the need to the MISB route for Macross. But for some reason, when I heard that the Roy and Hikaru 1A was coming out, I thought "Crap! That means I need to get a MISB old one for each before they disappear!"

So yes, it's a sickness. . . and I wonder if I'll be able to conquer it. :p

H

Edited by Hurin

To be honest, I'd rather not open them up. I want to display them unopened in a spacious shelve(side-by-side with the boxes showing the robots) so I can get that feeling of a Valk store when you walk into my future game/entertainment/billiard bar room. Then I'll have all the played with loose robots defending the cocooned boxed robots!!!!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Of course, it's also good to open them up and display them OPENED together in a glass case :D

(Sigh) I think I have MISB syndrome. I only do it because I have no room to put anything up. So I keep everything MISB until one day I can actually open them up. I still have all the first yamato's mac plus and vf-1's all still sealed. I still haven't been able to transform a yamato yet! :p:D:lol: I plan to, someday......

Man I kind of wish that was my story. You are going to have a fun couple of days breaking them all out of thier shackles and flying them around. I like mine displayed after I play with them for awhile.

Sheesh! I know what you mean! Got 2 1/48 Roy's coz i need a MISB. I hope that I'll have the strength to resist opening the 1J and Hikaru 1S when I get them. Like most who keep them MISB, I feel I need them to be inside the box because that's how I admire them from the store. I hope that the loose 1S Roy w/ fastpack is enough to keep my hands off the others. Freaky huh?

If this keeps up it's gonna break me. I don't resist the desire to be a 1/48 completist, but I can't do it X2. Part of me says "If you're not gonna open it, what the hell is the point?" But then my obsessive/compulsive side kicks in and reminds me how much pride of ownership swells when it comes to MISB goodness. I think I need professional help. :blink:

From your latter posts, I'm glad you're not buying 2X for resale value. :) But I understand your desire to have a MISB toy, without having to break your bank. Here's what I'd do, buy 1 toy to play with for now. Once the toy depreciates in value, you can get a MISB version for much cheaper. As much as we love Yamato, hardly any of their toys increase in monetary value.

If this keeps up it's gonna break me.  I don't resist the desire to be a 1/48 completist, but I can't do it X2.  Part of me says "If you're not gonna open it, what the hell is the point?"  But then my obsessive/compulsive side kicks in and reminds me how much pride of ownership swells when it comes to MISB goodness.  I think I need professional help.  :blink:

* SNIP * Here's what I'd do, buy 1 toy to play with for now. Once the toy depreciates in value, you can get a MISB version for much cheaper. As much as we love Yamato, hardly any of their toys increase in monetary value.

LoneWolf is right. Most toys depreciate in value over time. At first, I was planning on buying two of each and keeping one MISB for resale value. Then I got my first 1/48 yammie for $80 shipped instead of buying one MISB for $135 shipped. I saved $55 and its the same yammie.

I follow the pattern of

My pattern is buy the toy, take it out and play with it, trade the boxes to kanata67. :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

Yup... lots of stuff boxed, some even MIB, but only a yammie 21 non F/P MISB just because I ended up with a second and saw no reason to open it.

I was the first person outside of the factory to touch my bandai 1/100 die-cast 1a, but as the boxes weren't factory sealed... :rolleyes:

Hiya,

I will only keep one MISB of my favourite valk be it 1/48, 1/72 or 1/60. At the present, i only intend to keep one 1/48 VF-1S Roy reissue and one 1/48 VF-1S Hikaru and 1/48 Fps MISB. The rest will be on display in my glass cabinet. Alot of them are my favourites but i try to restrict myself to the ones at the top of the list.

Cheers

I wish I could afford MISB syndrome.

Right now, I'm still on my way to complete my Yamato line in my displace cabinet.

After I completed the line, I can consider buying an extra one for MISB collection.

However, I don't like putting stickers on my yammies too.

I found the resell value of stickered yammie is much lower than

non-sticker MIB ones. But the resell value of non-stickered MIB

is not much difference from the MISB ones.