Anyone here tried Johnson Future?

skull001

Can anyone share their experiences with apply Johnson Future/Kleer for pre/post decal application?

This sounds skeptical but using a floor wax to apply decals.. aren't there any modelling decal solutions out there that can perform better that we need to revert to a floor wax? :lol:

I've been using Mr. Hobby Mark Softer and wondering if it's worthwhile to try Future, especially with regards to eliminating silver edges.

Cheers!

Well its called a 'floor wax' but it is in fact a liquid acrylic clear coat. In my experience ( and I only use brushes-no air brush) it goes on easily and settles to a smooth even coat and it provides a terrific suface for the decals to adhere to. After I've applied the decals I use a little Microsol on them so they nestle into all the grooves and then another coat of future to seal. I've never had any silvering occur with the decals, well except for the first time - that time I applied too thin a coat of future - but since I learned that lesson no probs. I highly recommend the stuff. Plus one bottle will last for years! Best 7 bucks you'll spend.

I swear by it. Applied with an air brush, it is by far the best coating, smoothest, thinnest, and most economical clear coat you can use. It always goes on excellent, always dries smooth, and I can put 5-7 coats on a model without losing any detail (at 1/72 scale!).

I tried many other brands, but none are as easy to get *right*. The aerosole can sputters as its preasure changes and cools, or I run out of spray at a critical moment! And these cans from Tamiya, Testors, etc. cost an arm and a leg! $5 per can, that will only last you 2-3 models at best. A $7 bottle of future will last you *years*.

Well its called a 'floor wax' but it is in fact a liquid acrylic clear coat. In my experience ( and I only use brushes-no air brush) it goes on easily and settles to a smooth even coat and it provides a terrific suface for the decals to adhere to. After I've applied the decals I use a little Microsol on them so they nestle into all the grooves and then another coat of future to seal. I've never had any silvering occur with the decals, well except for the first time - that time I applied too thin a coat of future - but since I learned that lesson no probs. I highly recommend the stuff. Plus one bottle will last for years! Best 7 bucks you'll spend.

No serious modeler should be without Future as part of their painting regime.

Quoted for truth.

I use Future for every decal I apply... no questions asked it is the best.

It's also good to ad Future to washes to prevent pooling and streaks because it decreases surface tension, meaning it will flow into crevices better and adhere better.

That said Future is a bit difficult to find in the U.K. Years ago when I just used it to polish the kitchen floor it was everywhere. Now I want to paint Macross stuff i cant find it anywhere.

Which is the best method/s for using it. I have read so many differing ideas on the net I`m not sure now at all.

That said Future is a bit difficult to find in the U.K. Years ago when I just used it to polish the kitchen floor it was everywhere. Now I want to paint Macross stuff i cant find it anywhere.

Which is the best method/s for using it. I have read so many differing ideas on the net I`m not sure now at all.

Try writing to Tamiya Model Magazine. It's published in the UK and many of their staff use/recommend it. They must know where to get it!

Quoted for truth.

I use Future for every decal I apply... no questions asked it is the best.

It's also good to ad Future to washes to prevent pooling and streaks because it decreases surface tension, meaning it will flow into crevices better and adhere better.

Or ask on SSM there used to be a list on the main site of different products and their names in different countries.

Cowie, you'd better have a good explanation for why you have future and I don't!! :p

Who's your supplier? That stuff is rare as hens teeth in Aus.

Cheers,

Berttt

Cowie, you'd better have a good explanation for why you have future and I don't!! :p

Who's your supplier? That stuff is rare as hens teeth in Aus.

Cheers,

Berttt

Being mates with a 37SQN flight engineer helps :) Two bottles at AU$10 a piece, giddyup. He *may* have some left (he bought a case). Hey if you shoot over a reminder email tomorrow I'll give him a call and see if I can grab a bottle or two for you. Failing that, I could mail my spare up your way :ph34r:

As an aside, I saw some dude on eBay.au selling Future at AU$27 per bottle! Ouch. Big markup but still cheaper than buying cans.

Cowie

I have NEVER had to thin Future. If its too thick it means you left the bottle open.

HWR have you tried thinning it? Just wondering, as I never thinned it but once I started doing so I was able to produce a more uniform finish. Could be placebo effect though - must swap back next model.

Berttt

By the way Berttt, all the rumours are true - Future is awesome. On Swanny's recommendation I've used Johnsons ShineMagic and Pledge OneGo, and they really are the unattractive cousins :blink: The results from Future are in a class of their own.

Do it.

Do it.

Swanny's said that in UK it is called "Johnson Klear".

I found it in ASDA, I am sure the other supermarket stock them too.

Being mates with a 37SQN flight engineer helps Two bottles at AU$10 a piece, giddyup. He *may* have some left (he bought a case). Hey if you shoot over a reminder email tomorrow I'll give him a call and see if I can grab a bottle or two for you. Failing that, I could mail my spare up your way

As an aside, I saw some dude on eBay.au selling Future at AU$27 per bottle! Ouch. Big markup but still cheaper than buying cans.

$10 a bottle? SOLD!

But don't bend yourself in knots getting me any, I just wish I had of known about this miracle brew when I was at 37SQN.

Edited by Berttt