The PlayStation 3 Thread!

Apollo Leader

I kinda doubt we'll see a price cut that soon. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the PS2 go two years before a price cut? And if I remember correctly, it's only had one price cut since it launched, and is still going for about $200.

It's been cut to $199, $149, and is now $129 in the US.

As far as PS3 price cuts...expect to see it sooner rather than later this time around.

guess there is some big meeting on the 3rd. a buddy at GS said to call and see how many each store is getting on that day.

looking to be a sparse PS3 christmas.

Living in Hawaii, I lucked out with the test run pre-order deal of turning in used stuff to secure a pre-oreder for PS3 and Wii...I am number 2 on the list for both in my city. :D

According to the lastest PSM, Zone of the Enders 3 is coming to the PS3. This guaranteesI'll be getting one, probably next year when Sony works out all the bugs. Besides it seems the best games are coming late 2007.

Ahhh! I just read this! I'm so excited!

I mean, this is a dream come true!

According to the lastest PSM, Zone of the Enders 3 is coming to the PS3. This guaranteesI'll be getting one, probably next year when Sony works out all the bugs. Besides it seems the best games are coming late 2007.

ZOE 3? Damn...I wasn't expecting that one. I'm there.

Living in Hawaii, I lucked out with the test run pre-order deal of turning in used stuff to secure a pre-oreder for PS3 and Wii...I am number 2 on the list for both in my city. :D

:)

I was #6, then they had to kill the list and can't start one till after the 3rd. Each Game Stop store in my area will know how many units they are getting, then they can start preorders. Luckily for me, I got pushed to day shift next week for a few days, I can stop the guy on his way to opening the store and if they know the numbers, I can be first in the store :)

;)

j/k, won't abuse my powers that way. I will be first in the store though. That I can do.

:p

:)

I was #6, then they had to kill the list and can't start one till after the 3rd. Each Game Stop store in my area will know how many units they are getting, then they can start preorders. Luckily for me, I got pushed to day shift next week for a few days, I can stop the guy on his way to opening the store and if they know the numbers, I can be first in the store :)

;)

j/k, won't abuse my powers that way. I will be first in the store though. That I can do.

:p

Hehe, I know exactly what you mean. :lol:

I think Sony is doing Microsoft a huge favor by having such a high price point. If the top of the line PS3 were to be competively priced with the top of the line 360, then Microsoft might have felt more pressue to cut their prices. But with the PS3 costing so much more than the 360, the only other price competition comes from the Wii, which I'm thinking is only really going to appeal to a smaller market anyhow and probably won't be any real competition. Just my 2c

But remember, as has been so oft pointed out, that while you still have to pay an annual fee for X-box Live, PS3's online service will be free, and fully supported.

That, in itself, is a major selling point.

But remember, as has been so oft pointed out, that while you still have to pay an annual fee for X-box Live, PS3's online service will be free, and fully supported.

That, in itself, is a major selling point.

That's assuming Sony can put together a decent online service. Xbox Live is proven at this point, and no one knows if Sony will be able to deliver on it's promises regarding it's online service.

I think Sony is doing Microsoft a huge favor by having such a high price point. If the top of the line PS3 were to be competively priced with the top of the line 360, then Microsoft might have felt more pressue to cut their prices. But with the PS3 costing so much more than the 360, the only other price competition comes from the Wii, which I'm thinking is only really going to appeal to a smaller market anyhow and probably won't be any real competition. Just my 2c

To put things into some perspective though...a 360 with all the bells and whistles to match a PS3 in terms of "what you get" would cost more than a $599 PS3.

An HD DVD -add on is $199

Wi-Fi is $100

You're already at the $700 mark going the 360 way plus the cost of Live and the cap of a 20GB HDD.

Not a convincing argument but you get the point. You are getting a lot for your dough here.

And it looks like for the rest of the country, Oct. 10th is the day for Pre-orders at EB/GS stores, if they so choose to...I believe the individual stores can opt not to do any pre-orders if they so wish and do a first come first serve thing on launch day.

$50 down will secure you a pre-order if they decide to do so, no turn in games like they did here in Hawaii.

To put things into some perspective though...a 360 with all the bells and whistles to match a PS3 in terms of "what you get" would cost more than a $599 PS3.

Wi-Fi is $100

You're already at the $700 mark going the 360 way plus the cost of Live and the cap of a 20GB HDD.

Not a convincing argument but you get the point. You are getting a lot for your dough here.

At least Microsoft is giving the option of buying all of that piecemeal, one at a time. That prevents heart-attacks due to the price of the whole package. As well, by using peripheral add-ons, Microsoft has given itself the option of producing a Blu-Ray drive should that win the format wars.

ZOE 3? Sweet. The first two games are the only ones that I regret not being able to get for my Xbox.

Wi-Fi is $100

Fair enough. But I don't want my gaming console to be my DVD player. Sony is forcing their expensive Blu-ray tech on PS3 buyers while Microsoft is giving their customers that choice. Same thing with the wi-fi. Believe it or not, there are people who do not do online gaming so, again, Microsoft wins because they give the customer the choice of whether or not to buy that option. Sony does win with the bigger HD though.

I have a question -- what exactly do you need hard drive space on a PS3 for anyway? All I'm gonna' use my PS3 for is to play video games that aren't connected to the net. My PS3 may never see the net as long as it lives. So I might as well get the small hard drive, right?

Edit: Please don't tell me the hard drive is for putting "Mp3"s on your PS3.

Edited by GutsAndCasca

LOL! and if Sony plans to sell assets (cars and Tracks, levels) from the online, why do they need all that space on the blueray disc? :blink:

And about the online thing, MS has it for Free too, it's call the silver level account.

Create your gamer profile

Create and maintain a friends list

Access Xbox Live Marketplace including Xbox Live Arcade, demos, and trailers

Send and receive text and voice messages

Join in special Xbox Live Gold trial opportunities

Access massively multiplayer games

Note: Silver level requires Xbox 360 storage device and broadband connection. Xbox Live Marketplace downloads and MMO games may require an additional fee.

Is there anyway that defines or outlines what you get on the Sony Online service?

I have a question -- what exactly do you need hard drive space on a PS3 for anyway? All I'm gonna' use my PS3 for is to play video games that aren't connected to the net. My PS3 may never see the net as long as it lives. So I might as well get the small hard drive, right?

Edited by Gunbuster

Who's telling you to get the larger HDD? If you won't be downloading, then it prob won't be an issue.

LOL! and if Sony plans to sell assets (cars and Tracks, levels) from the online, why do they need all that space on the blueray disc? :blink:

And about the online thing, MS has it for Free too, it's call the silver level account.

Create your gamer profile

Create and maintain a friends list

Access Xbox Live Marketplace including Xbox Live Arcade, demos, and trailers

Send and receive text and voice messages

Join in special Xbox Live Gold trial opportunities

Access massively multiplayer games

Note: Silver level requires Xbox 360 storage device and broadband connection. Xbox Live Marketplace downloads and MMO games may require an additional fee.

Is there anyway that defines or outlines what you get on the Sony Online service?

The GT HD micro transactions thing is weird.

A silver account won't let you do the one thing that Live is truly known for...online play against or with people.

PS3 online is basically like Live Gold though certain games like MMO's may require an additional fee though that is a downfall of Live as well.

Disclaimer: Remains to be seen if it's done well of course.

Edited by Gaijin

Hardware wise, the PS3 should have a huge edge, but it may not manifest for a couple years. By then the Xbox 720 may be out (or on the horizon). :ph34r:

MS has huge gobs of money to throw away and they've done good in gaining technical parity, even if the audience still isn't quite there (especially in asia). Speaking of which, I've been using Vista RC1 for awhile and I must say it's pretty cool. The whole XP Media Center streaming to the 360 thing kinda sucks though. Hopefully the PS3 implements that much much better.

I've noticed that many of the upcoming games I see in Playstation Magazine are in "widescreen" format. I hope that upcoming games won't be required to have widescreen or else you get a squished/crushed game screen. I may have a 60 inch HDTV, but it's not one of those rectangular screens that I can't stand. I like having a nice big square TV. Even when a movie is in widescreen format with the black areas on top and bottom the screen is still huge enough that you don't notice. And I don't have to worry about my TV squishing certain programs to fit them. I hope the gaming industry doesn't assume everyone has a rectangular TV now.

I've noticed that many of the upcoming games I see in Playstation Magazine are in "widescreen" format. I hope that upcoming games won't be required to have widescreen or else you get a squished/crushed game screen. I may have a 60 inch HDTV, but it's not one of those rectangular screens that I can't stand. I like having a nice big square TV. Even when a movie is in widescreen format with the black areas on top and bottom the screen is still huge enough that you don't notice. And I don't have to worry about my TV squishing certain programs to fit them. I hope the gaming industry doesn't assume everyone has a rectangular TV now.

If you have a "square" TV, you can play them in that 4:3 format. You have a 60" 4:3 set?

Some PS3 news today.

Now Sony Computer Entertainment has tipped its hand on next-gen peripheral pricing, in Japan at least. The company today released a list of PS3 peripherals and their prices. First up, it was revealed that spare wireless controllers--now officially dubbed Sixaxis controllers in a nod to their motion-sensing capabilities--will go on sale next to the console November 11 at a cost of 5,000 yen (about $42) each. It will also have a 30-hour battery life, according to Sony. A memory card adapter, suitable for reading PlayStation and PlayStation 2 memory cards, will also be released on launch day for 1,500 yen (around $12).

Additionally, a remote control to take advantage of the console's Blu-ray functionality will slightly trail the PS3 launch. It will be released in Japan on December 7 and will cost 3,600 yen (roughly $30).

Sony has not yet confirmed the Sixaxis name or peripheral pricing for the US market. However, in late August, the company did register the word "Sixaxis" with the United States Patent and Trademark Office.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6159208.html

http://www.jeux-france.com/news17721_ps3-l...ccessoires.html

Edited by dejr8bud

If you have a "square" TV, you can play them in that 4:3 format. You have a 60" 4:3 set?

Yeah, does not computer. He said he has an "HDTV" but said it was "square." 4:3 != HD. HDTV = 16:9. Widescreen support is a must. If they don't have 4:3, I won't shed a bloody tear since even my bedroom HDTV is 16:9 (34" CRT which ways almost double my 60" SXRD :blink: ). :p

Hmm, interesting tactic with having the memory card adapter attach to the controller, it's been bugging me waiting to find out what they were going to do with the older memory cards. The low end model doesn't sound too bad now, aside from that dinky 20 gig HD.

Yeah, does not computer. He said he has an "HDTV" but said it was "square." 4:3 != HD. HDTV = 16:9. Widescreen support is a must. If they don't have 4:3, I won't shed a bloody tear since even my bedroom HDTV is 16:9 (34" CRT which ways almost double my 60" SXRD :blink: ). :p

There are 4:3 HDTV's out there (believe it or not) but I'm not sure about any 60" projections, but then again, I never got into projection tubes.

Hmm, interesting tactic with having the memory card adapter attach to the controller, it's been bugging me waiting to find out what they were going to do with the older memory cards. The low end model doesn't sound too bad now, aside from that dinky 20 gig HD.

Huh? I think it (the adapter) just attaches to the PS3 through a USB cord. Though the wireless controllers charge through USB on the PS3 (built in rechagables unlike the 360's we make you pay to recharge deal).

Edited by Gaijin

Ya it connects via USB. Still don't see why they just couldn't include a slot on the PS3 itself...but will you be able store & use PS1/PS2 games saves off of the hard drive?

Sony announced the price of various PlayStation 3 accessories:

Wireless Controller (Sixaxis) - 5000 yen, available on Nov 11, 2006. Can be used wirelessly (Bluetooth) or wired using USB cable; built-in Lithium-ions battery can run for 30 hours

Memory Card Adapter - 1500 yen, available on Nov 11, 2006. Allows you to transfer PSone and PS2 save data into PS3 via USB connection

BD Remote Control - 3600 yen, available on Dec 7, 2006. For BluRay and DVD movies playback, uses Bluetooth connection.

- Here is a preliminary game release schedule for PlayStation 3 in Japan.

Nov 11, 06 - Mahjong Kakutou Club (Konami), 5229 yen

Nov 11, 06 - Miyasato Miyoshi Kyoudai Naizou: Sega Golf Club (Sega), 7140 yen

Nov 11, 06 - Genji 2: Days of the Blade (Sony), 5980 yen

Nov 11, 06 - Resistance: Fall of Man (Sony), 5980 yen

Nov 11, 06 - Mobile Suit Gundam: Crossfire (Namco Bandai), 7329 yen

Nov 11, 06 - Ridge Racer 7 (Namco Bandai), 7329 yen

Nov 22, 06 - Mahjong Taikai IV (Koei), 5040 yen

Dec 14, 06 - Armored Core 4 (From Software), 8190 yen

Dec 21, 06 - Sonic The Hedgehog (Sega), 7140 yen

http://www.the-magicbox.com/gaming.htm

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/10/04/write-a-...sony-win-a-ps3/

Intersting that Sony can't guarantee just 10 measly systems to the winners of this contest for up to 5 months. <_<

Does anyone want to bet that Sony might fall short of the 400,000 US / 1000,000 Japan promised for the launch next month?

Glad I'm not getting the PS3 (at least for now). It's going to be a total circus next month. This thing is going to have a higher failure rate then the launch 360's.

But if I did get one, I would definitely get the new Gundam game, Resistance: Fall of Man, and Ridge Racer 7.

Why would they have enough systems at launch? That would go against every video game company tactic in the book.

-Launch around the holiday season

-Ship out only a few (relatively that is) systems with some lame ass underproduction story

-Give away a good number to celebrities who do not need free systems

-Give away a good number to exec's to sell on ebay.

-Wait until kids get their christmas money

-Ship out the bulk of the systems after the holiday season

-Profit!

As for the Gundam game, I'm kinda tempted to pick that up before I get a PS3, but I'll wait on the reviews. Considering that Sony couldn't even properly ventalate their booth PS3 during the TGS, I think I'll definately wait a year or so before picking up an actual system.

Overheating

Why would they have enough systems at launch? That would go against every video game company tactic in the book.

-Launch around the holiday season

-Ship out only a few (relatively that is) systems with some lame ass underproduction story

-Give away a good number to celebrities who do not need free systems

-Give away a good number to exec's to sell on ebay.

-Wait until kids get their christmas money

-Ship out the bulk of the systems after the holiday season

-Profit!

As for the Gundam game, I'm kinda tempted to pick that up before I get a PS3, but I'll wait on the reviews. Considering that Sony couldn't even properly ventalate their booth PS3 during the TGS, I think I'll definately wait a year or so before picking up an actual system.

Overheating

Honsetly, I'm not worried about "overheating" (cough cough 360's power brick, cough cough), as so far, all hands on reports have been favorable, with the system having an internal power supply that remained cool to the touch to it being whisper quiet as well. And it's funny, as certain people who attended TGS...they never saw any PS3s being restarted because of overheating, never saw any problems inthe literally hundreds of PS3's on the floor in the hours they stayed there. Not saying it didn't happen, but I think if it did, it's probably being blown out of proportion.

Check out PS3 and accessories at CEATEC:

PS3 at CEATEC

Edited by Gaijin

Yes, I have a 60' 4:3. And yes, I like it. :D

edit: It's a high definition TV set, which I don't take advantage of. Why would it be required to be a 16:9?

Edited by GutsAndCasca

Yes, I have a 60' 4:3. And yes, I like it. :D

edit: It's a high definition TV set, which I don't take advantage of. Why would it be required to be a 16:9?

It isn't "required". It's just that HD programming is in 16:9 format.