Aircraft Vs Thread 3

1946 brings in alot of aircraft that didn't make it in time historically for WWII or stuff that were in the works. Jets are the highlight. The Germans of course get some interesting projects that are produced for 1946.

It also brings in the add-on IL-2's over Manchuria, the very late WWII event where the Russians attack Japanese forces stuck on the mainland.

I believe so!

Here in the US, the IL-2: 1946 Package includes every edition & expansion that has been released for the original IL-2 (which incl. Forgotten Battles, Aces over Europe, Pacific Fighters, Sturmoviks over Manchuria, and 1946). After installing, I think you just need to d/l 1 more patch.

Witness the result of poor situational awareness and a moment of poor flying!

IPB Image

And my valiant ability in egressing from my Corsair! (excuse the wrong pilot uniform texture, looked fine while I was flying)

IPB Image

P.S.- In case you were wondering... the 2 tanks on the belly of my plane weren't fuel drop tanks. They're Napalm. Hence my pilot running from the smoking wreckage with Olympic Athlete speed.

Edited by Warmaker

Hmmm.. aside from the Shinden, doesn't really look like '46 is that interesting to me.

I've been playing quick missions for the last.. oh, 6 hours or so. One stupid thing I realise is that if you set a particular altitude for your engagement. bombers would stick to the altitude as above sea level regardless of terrain.

For example, if you set the height to be 200m, B-29s would fly at about 200m above sea level (which is fine over the ocean). But when they cross over land, especially over hilly terrain, the AI pilots don't look far ahead enough to pull up in time. The first time I saw this, I was amazed. Ace B-29 pilots all slamming into a cliff face...

Also, if you set the attitude too low (100m), bombers (B-17 and B-29) can clip the water and if they aren't going fast enough, the bombers would be doing cartwheels into the water. Between these two craziness, I've spent a mission where 16 Ace B-29s either all bounced off the water and broke up, or slammed into the steep side of a Pacific Island.

Only non-flyables I can think of that were realitivley important are the B-17, B-24, B-26, B-29, and no torpedo aircraft.

Not quite. You do have an IL-2 that carries a torpedo, the Beaufighter, and at least one or two others.

Just no AMERICAN torpedo bombers. Stupid lawyers...

Yep. Boeing wanted money. Boeing owns Grumman now, and Grumman made the TBF Avenger. Sooo...

There was even a push for the modern owning company's name to supplant the original. It sounds weird, but think of this.

North American P-51 Mustang

Instead, if they had their way it would be

Boeing P-51 Mustang

Vought F4U Corsair

Instead, it would be

Northrop F4U Corsair

Grumman F6F Hellcat

Into...

Northrop F6F Hellcat

Yes, the current companies do own the properties. But to me it's desecration.

Yep. Boeing wanted money. Boeing owns Grumman now, and Grumman made the TBF Avenger. Sooo...

There was even a push for the modern owning company's name to supplant the original. It sounds weird, but think of this.

North American P-51 Mustang

Instead, if they had their way it would be

Boeing P-51 Mustang

Vought F4U Corsair

Instead, it would be

Northrop F4U Corsair

Grumman F6F Hellcat

Into...

Northrop F6F Hellcat

Yes, the current companies do own the properties. But to me it's desecration.

There should be an Act of Congress that forbids such desecration!

Imagine if Matsushita bought over the Chrysler or Empire State building and renamed it the JVC Centre! Or Pokemon Plaza or Kancho Central.....

edit: Typo in the earlier question. I was asking for the Shinden, not the Shiden. How can they make a 1946 game without that!!!

No torpedo bombers for the USN??? What are they supposed to sink the Kido Butai with then?!? Harsh Language?!?!

Edited by Retracting Head Ter Ter

Yep. Along with the Corsair, Hellcat, Wildcat, Thunderbolt, Mustang (B, C, and two D's), P-40, the P-80, etc etc. It has pretty much everything.

ah, nice. Just as long as I get my P-38 I'm all set. I just have this thing with twin-engined fighters...

ah, nice. Just as long as I get my P-38 I'm all set. I just have this thing with twin-engined fighters...

I have this thing for flying the big 4 engined US bombers. Manning the gun stations in SWOTL was so much fun even if the stupid modelling for the game didn't allow an unloaded B17 to fly home on 2 or even 1 engine out. I am quite disappointed that after so much mods and upgrades and add-ons, they still have not let us fly the big birds (except for that flying mass coffin the TB-3, which is fun in its own way but its no Superfortress)

I have this thing for flying the big 4 engined US bombers. Manning the gun stations in SWOTL was so much fun even if the stupid modelling for the game didn't allow an unloaded B17 to fly home on 2 or even 1 engine out. I am quite disappointed that after so much mods and upgrades and add-ons, they still have not let us fly the big birds (except for that flying mass coffin the TB-3, which is fun in its own way but its no Superfortress)

Why not just buy B-17: Flying Fortress for all your bombing needs :-p

Well if my memory serves (and its done a lousy job in this thread) Grumman merged with Northrop to form Northrop Grumman, so renaming of past ventures would be Northrop Grumman. So no need to worry about Boeing's name on Grumman stuff, though i wouldn't be suprised if Boeing somehow buys Northrop Grumman.

Cruel Angel's Thesis

Why not just buy B-17: Flying Fortress for all your bombing needs :-p

That game was bugged to hell and back! :lol: It came out when I was really into flight simming, and I recall it maybe had 1-2 official patches and that was it. It was still broken afterwards. Which is sad since the idea of it was great.

There are two major advantages to the P-38: 1) Nose mounted wepons (and the only U.S. Fighter with a cannon) meaning no worries about convergence, 2) twin engines means no torque from the props.

Problem with the P-38 is that if you get caught low and slow you're screwed. I really like the Hellcat, Corsair and Thunderbolt. I haven't played many quick missions (other than what I needed to get up to speed on the flight model) but I really like the online play. I like to take a B-25 in on the deck and unload with parabombs on the enemy flightline. :D I also like the dive bombers in that role.

If anyone is just getting started with the game try simhq.com's forums, there are a couple of nice stikys that will get you patched up, get you set up for onlune play and firect you to FAQs to get you started and explain game play.

Well if my memory serves (and its done a lousy job in this thread) Grumman merged with Northrop to form Northrop Grumman, so renaming of past ventures would be Northrop Grumman. So no need to worry about Boeing's name on Grumman stuff, though i wouldn't be suprised if Boeing somehow buys Northrop Grumman.

Cruel Angel's Thesis

Maybe it's just me, but:

Northrop F6F Hellcat

Northrop-Grumman F6F Hellcat

They both sound ridiculous and "unholy" :ph34r:

Why? Because it's another company tacking it's name onto the past works and glories of the original company's, whether they own that company now or not.

Let me use an extreme "what if?"

"What if" BAE bought Boeing?

It could be: BAE P-51 Mustang, or maybe BAE-North American P-51 Mustang? Or BAE-Boeing P-51 Mustang? Either way still sounds sacrilegious.

As sacrilegious as Northrop-Grumman F-14 Tomcat, which sounds so wrong coming from every compass direction, legal or not.

The purist in me prefers seeing the original company's name with that aircraft when it was produced, not seeing another company's name tacked on because they can.

I've got to try some more of the fighters, I really thought the P-38 was the only fighter with a cannon. I wasn't aware that any of the Navy/Marine fighters had cannons, whats up with the Corsair having one?

I believe some versions of the Avenger also had 20mm cannon.

I've got to try some more of the fighters, I really thought the P-38 was the only fighter with a cannon. I wasn't aware that any of the Navy/Marine fighters had cannons, whats up with the Corsair having one?

Like Warmaker said earlier, the F4U-1C has 4x 20mm Hispano cannons.

EDIT: One of the Blue Angels just crashed at an airshow in South Carolina. Not sure if the pilot bailed out.

Edited by meh_cd

Like Warmaker said earlier, the F4U-1C has 4x 20mm Hispano cannons.

EDIT: One of the Blue Angels just crashed at an airshow in South Carolina. Not sure if the pilot bailed out.

County coroner is now stating that the pilot is dead, no other known fatalities (thank goodness for that). From preliminary reports, it looks like the pilot was either a) Heading to back to the airfield, or B) was trying to find a safe place to lay down his bird away from population.

Regretfully, it seems he crashed into a populated neighborhood, but that everyone is A-Ok. Except for the pilot, of course. Bless his soul.

Here's probably the most detailed report about the Blue Angels Hornet that went down and the Blue Angel who appears to be the one who perished:

http://www.beaufortgazette.com/breaking_ne...p-5768379c.html

In this and some other online reports it is being said that this Hornet may have clipped a tree or power line.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the pilot's family and all those involved, namely those who lost their homes. :(

The Blue Angels were supposed to perform here at Offutt AFB two weeks from now...

Guys I don't know if we touched on this in the very 1st super thread. but after playing OverG I am slowly, slowly beginning to see what the F-35 is like in combat and its advantages, with that said,

Which is the better F/A-18C replacement:

F/A-18E

or

F-35C?

Discuss!

And for that matter, which is the better F-16C replacement:

F-16 block 60 w/those obstrusive external tanks

or

F-35A?

RIP to the Blue Angels pilot. I read that he was the top stick in his class(I think this was in VF-101). He joined the Angels in 2005.

FYI, while he was #6 pilot this year, he was #7 pilot last year and the official narrator. So if you saw the Blue Angels last season (I did), you at least heard him speak, if not fly. He was an F-14B pilot for VF-11 prior to flying F-18C's for VFC-12 and the TopGun program.

http://www.blueangels.navy.mil/off_06.htm