Pop Box 1/6 Scale Hikaru Figure Review

Graham

Okay Graham, you just made my week. This figure looks even better than I had hoped! I am so glad I preordered this guy. And now I'm not so sure I want to pose him next to the ARII 1/6 TV Pilot Hikaru, as previously planned. This figure just blows that pvc statue away. As much as I love my Yamato Valks, I've been wanting accurate character figures for years. I really want this line to do well, because I will need a Milia to eventually go with my Max.

And speaking of which... Noel, if you're reading this, PLEASE tell me that pics of the Max headsculpt will be revealed in the near future. I'm dying to see how he turns out. Any updated info on his release date?

And Roy should definitely come with some 1/6 booze action.

hahha.... not worth the tons of money in my book.... but those pics are priceless......

412182[/snapback]

Great review Graham. decent figure

however with the VF-OA and 19 and GBP 2.0 coming out

Gonna have to pass on this one.

I like it, but I'm holding out for the flight-suit version.

412202[/snapback]

Same here. Would love to have this Hikaru figure, but the outfit just don't look athat great when compare to the flight-suit in DYRL. And we all want a nice helmet as well. I am too spoiled by the Medicoms, so only want to buy it when I know its the best Hikaru I can buy, with the best choice of outfit. Wonder why they didn't go for the flight-suit in the first place.

I like the figure, looks really really nice but, incomplete.

Toynami should have delivered the flight suit version with the blue uniform as optional. That would've been the ultimate 1/6 Hikaru.

If only the box looked like the vf-1 master pieces, that could have also justified the lack of accesories.

Still tempted to buy it, the free international shipping is a good save (the pop up ad. is hooking me up).

But if a flight suit version is coming, then I prefer to save for Hikaru, Max and Roy in the flight outfit.

Heh, but whether a flight suit version comes, may depend on how well the blue uniform version sells first.

If people don't buy it cus they are waiting for the flight suit version, then it may end up not getting made.

Graham

Heh, but whether a flight suit version comes, may depend on how well the blue uniform version sells first.

If people don't buy it cus they are waiting for the flight suit version, then it may end up not getting made.

Graham

412309[/snapback]

And that was the mistake Toynami made. Why not going with the flight version in the first place?

I think there is going to be a flight version whether this action figure sells or not. Toynami knows the flight suit version is a sure seller. Watching the quality of this first figure, it is going to be very cool.

Again, the free int. shipping offer is very tempting. Substracting shipping costs, the figure would cost me around US$55 which is a descent price for a well made figure.

Still have one more day to decide. I am predicting this Toynami figure will cost twice in a couple of years, so why not going for it. Perhaps I should buy two :p

Graham

412309[/snapback]

Why wait when you can reap the profit from the start of the flight suit. They should have did their homework to determine which will sell and in demand.

Even if the possibility of a flight suit version depends on the sales of this one, I'll have to take my chances. I'm not in a position to afford every single Macross item that comes down the pike so I have to pick and choose. My iitial instinct was to only buy a 1/6 scale Roy in flight suit, but now I don't know if one will be coming for sure.

A salute to everyone who will be supporting the Popbox 1/6 Hikaru along the way,

and we look forward to better things to come in the near future.

Noel

412341[/snapback]

You can count on me to support this line. Now is an amazing time to be a Macross fan.

Any word on the release date for Max, Noel?

maybe the flight suits could come in accessory kits w/helmets & other paraphanelia. that way you guy don't need to pay 80$ per figure w/dif costume

412518[/snapback]

That's actually a great idea. If the flight suit and all that was being sold as an add-on, I'd definately buy this first Hikaru (even if it did mean playing dress-up dollies).

Then again, I'm guessing that the flight suit version will have a head with removable hair to accomodate the helmet...

Edited by eriku

maybe the flight suits could come in accessory kits w/helmets & other paraphanelia. that way you guy don't need to pay 80$ per figure w/dif costume

412518[/snapback]

Accessories for the Macross Rick/Hikaru "man-doll"?

;)

Man, this "collectable" series is starting to resemble a famous girls doll line ....

(Hint: starts with a "B" ..... )

:p:p:p

I think some of our toy collectors are threaten by their own sexuality.

"Man-Dolls are too much like a Barbie. Only fruit cakes and girls play with a Barbie. Strange I think Man-Doll looks neat. Wait am I really a girl in a man's body or a fruit cake? No it can't be. Must make a crack about the Man-Doll and buy the biggest transforming robot with the biggest rifle." -Closet MW Man Doll Fan.

Man-Dolls aren't Ken Dolls. They are 1/6 Collector Action Figures. Most are military or Movie based and are more closer to the GIJOE than Barbie. Some of us have embraced the Man-Doll Hikaru. If the thought still scares someone you please than come out of you 1/1 the Man-Doll Closet you're not fooling anybody. :lol:

I think some of our toy collectors are threaten by their own sexuality. 

"Man-Dolls are too much like a Barbie.  Only fruit cakes and girls play with a Barbie.    Strange I think Man-Doll looks neat.  Wait am I really a girl in a man's body or a fruit cake?  No it can't be.  Must make a crack about the Man-Doll and buy the biggest transforming robot with the biggest rifle."  -Closet MW Man Doll Fan.

Man-Dolls aren't Ken Dolls.    They are 1/6 Collector Action Figures.  Most are military or Movie based and are more closer to the GIJOE than Barbie.  Some of us have embraced the Man-Doll Hikaru.  If the thought still scares someone you please than come out of you 1/1 the Man-Doll Closet you're not fooling anybody.  :lol:

413202[/snapback]

Ok - I'm out!!!

:p:p:p:p

I just honestly am not a fan of the Hikaru "man-doll" is all. Period.

:)

My two cents on this topic..

I'm not really interested per se in having a Hikaru looking at me with those puppy-sad eyes, but from a somewhat 1/6 collector's PoV, I have the following feedback:

The quality of the figure looks to be very good, and Graham's review is good, so it must be good. :D The main drawback is its lack of appropriate accessories.

I would suggest including more hands -- two important items in 1/6 toys is articulation and hands. Articulation seems to be there -- as can be seen by Hikaru going up the wall... -- but the hands are not. I'd suggest a gun hand for each hand, and a gripping left hand (a la some of the valks) instead of the current open palms.

As Graham points out, it's not appropriate for Hikaru to have "modern" weapons, but it's not necessary anyway; 1/6 weapons are easily found on eBay for very low costs, anyone who's really interested can get his favourite on his own (nameless pistols, MP5, M4s and M16s out the wazoo, AK47, Uzi, Macs, Brens, MG42, MG34, Panzerfaust, Panzershreck, Mortars, Bazookas, PIAT, even Barrett 0.5cal... pick your poison). IMO, all PopBox needs to do is to provide compatibility. Although, Macross-specific infantry weapons might be interesting.. but I digress. Hikaru isn't a PBI, no real reason why he should be packing an RPG.

However, accessories that are more in-line with the story.. such as a 1/300 VF-1 or VF-4 display model, or as Graham says, a fish-on-stick, or a hanky with Minmay's name (difficult to pull off) would be more interesting.

Aside: a booze bottle seems appropriate for Roy. :D

What I don't really like is the uniform patch and dog tags. The patch, I can understand... I got a jacket which can benefit, but even then it's low priority. The dog tags even lower. Just not something I want.

Moving on, I suspect Max and Roy to be similar in nature. What will really interest me is if a Millia or Misa or even Claudia figure would be offered. Sounds really hentai-ish, but frankly, I prefer to look at a female figure rather than a male one. :D

EDIT: It was a fish on a stick, not a fishing rod... ;)

Edited by Lynx7725

My two cents on this topic..

I'm not really interested per se in having a Hikaru looking at me with those puppy-sad eyes, but from a somewhat 1/6 collector's PoV, I have the following feedback:

The quality of the figure looks to be very good, and Graham's review is good, so it must be good. :D The main drawback is its lack of appropriate accessories.

I would suggest including more hands -- two important items in 1/6 toys is articulation and hands. Articulation seems to be there -- as can be seen by Hikaru going up the wall... -- but the hands are not. I'd suggest a gun hand for each hand, and a gripping left hand (a la some of the valks) instead of the current open palms.

As Graham points out, it's not appropriate for Hikaru to have "modern" weapons, but it's not necessary anyway; 1/6 weapons are easily found on eBay for very low costs, anyone who's really interested can get his favourite on his own (nameless pistols, MP5, M4s and M16s out the wazoo, AK47, Uzi, Macs, Brens, MG42, MG34, Panzerfaust, Panzershreck, Mortars, Bazookas, PIAT, even Barrett 0.5cal... pick your poison). IMO, all PopBox needs to do is to provide compatibility. Although, Macross-specific infantry weapons might be interesting.. but I digress. Hikaru isn't a PBI, no real reason why he should be packing an RPG.

However, accessories that are more in-line with the story.. such as a 1/300 VF-1 or VF-4 display model, or as Graham says, a fish-on-stick, or a hanky with Minmay's name (difficult to pull off) would be more interesting.

Aside: a booze bottle seems appropriate for Roy. :D

What I don't really like is the uniform patch and dog tags. The patch, I can understand... I got a jacket which can benefit, but even then it's low priority. The dog tags even lower. Just not something I want.

Moving on, I suspect Max and Roy to be similar in nature. What will really interest me is if a Millia or Misa or even Claudia figure would be offered. Sounds really hentai-ish, but frankly, I prefer to look at a female figure rather than a male one. :D

EDIT: It was a fish on a stick, not a fishing rod... ;)

413294[/snapback]

Great post!