Sdcc 2006 Toynami Exclusive Valk

xstoys

I'm definitely picking up two of these! Too bad it doesn't come with fast packs.... :(

Anyway, doesn't anybody notice the heatshield being black instead of red? So is it gonna be changed to red? Or kept at black? :huh:

Edited by BoBe-Patt

i wonder if they'll release fastpacks for these little guys..... i may pick up a few for those who want em....

409238[/snapback]

I'd love to take one off your hands if you do pick up a few. :)

For some reason I'm excited about these little valks. I love the small scale ( for the record I love the large scale of the 1/48 too) and the Banprestos didn't cut it for me, so these should fill the gap nicely.

From my own previous experience and from what I've seen, Toynami's exclusives really are not that hard to find after the shows.  Toynami offers them up to eager retailers after they cannot sell them.  I've bought the Clear Morphers, Poseable VF1D,  and the Blue Metallic Alpha with no success in turning them around for a small profit.    The only hard to find item(s) to date is the VF1J Bookend and perhaps the VF1S Hikaru Poseable....

-K

409234[/snapback]

It took me months to finally get ahold of the VF1S Hikaru poseable... and the damned thing's lasers won't move on the left side of its' head!

(I am still grateful to have it though. Makes my collection 100% complete.)

• 3 weeks later...

Read some posts@rt.com and people are saying these things were@AX. Any of you see them? One guy who bought them said they are pretty high quality. I expect we are getting what we pay for for the most part. He also said there was some stuff previewed like the FAST packs and that they looked pretty cool. Any of you who attended AX got pictures or descriptions? What did you think? Did any of you buy 1?

OK - I got one of these "exclusive" items at AX and here's what I can say at this point (no pictures yet).

First, the pros. The toy is made entirely of plastic (no die-cast) and is of fairly decent quality. The toy is also fairly poseable and transforms with relative ease. It comes with removable landing gear, heatshield/canopy switchout and a display stand.

The cons. The lack of die-cast in itself is not a con, but its lack of structure/support makes for a difficult toy to display properly. The slightest nudge and the figure will bend in an unintentional way. This makes it very hard to pose symetrically. Its accessories are also small due to the scale, so some of the items (like the wing missiles, etc.) are somewhat useless in my opinion.

Paint application is fairly consistant and detailed adequately for the size/scale, but you need to apply the stickers to complete the "paint scheme" for the valk.

All in all, it's an OK buy for $25, but you get exactly what you pay for. These are similar in design to the Banpresto, but admittedly with far better quality.

Fast packs and other valkyrie variations are on the horizon and I hope one of the other boys on here can provide pics (Pat). ;)

Hope this helps.

*EDIT - I see the Pat has already posted pics. Thanks, bro!

Edited by valkyrie312

OK - I got one of these "exclusive" items at AX and here's what I can say at this point (no pictures yet). 

First, the pros.  The toy is made entirely of plastic (no die-cast) and is of fairly decent quality.  The toy is also fairly poseable and transforms with relative ease.  It comes with removable landing gear, heatshield/canopy switchout and a display stand.

The cons.  The lack of die-cast in itself is not a con, but its lack of structure/support makes for a difficult toy to display properly.  The slightest nudge and the figure will bend in an unintentional way.  This makes it very hard to pose symetrically.  Its accessories are also small due to the scale, so some of the items (like the wing missiles, etc.) are somewhat useless in my opinion. 

Paint application is fairly consistant and detailed adequately for the size/scale, but you need to apply the stickers to complete the "paint scheme" for the valk. 

All in all, it's an OK buy for $25, but you get exactly what you pay for.  These are similar in design to the Banpresto, but admittedly with far better quality. 

Fast packs and other valkyrie variations are on the horizon and I hope one of the other boys on here can provide pics (Pat).  ;)

Hope this helps.

*EDIT - I see the Pat has already posted pics.  Thanks, bro!

414438[/snapback]

yup, way ahead of you bro. ;):D:p:lol:

Hmmm...those pictures look absolutely fantastic! I am glad I have wave 1 and 2 pre-ordered. Ofocurse I will pass final judgement on the Toynami 1/100's when I have em in my hand...but I am defiently going to give Toynami an chance with these, especially at the price point.

Also as for the SDCC Exclusive Hunter VF-1S...I wonder if it will stay an exclusive, or if Toynami will do what Hasbro did. Hasbro said the Alternator Nemesis Prime was going to be an SDCC Exclsuive and there all over Hong Kong and the Philipines in mass production. Then Hasbro came out and changed it to "introduction at SDCC", which was still not true.

Edited by AC Starscream

Hmmm...those pictures look absolutely fantastic! I am glad I have wave 1 and 2 pre-ordered. Ofocurse I will pass final judgement on the Toynami 1/100's when I have em in my hand...but I am defiently going to give Toynami an chance with these, especially at the price point.

Also as for the SDCC Exclusive Hunter VF-1S...I wonder if it will stay an exclusive, or if Toynami will do what Hasbro did. Hasbro said the Alternator Nemesis Prime was going to be an SDCC Exclsuive and there all over Hong Kong and the Philipines in mass production. Then Hasbro came out and changed it to "introduction at SDCC", which was still not true.

414444[/snapback]

All over? I dunno man, seems like action hq got it(They were the first with the preorder) and seems like the samples on ebay are not as much as I would tend to think.

Bobe, did you open these? What do you think about it?

These look awesome! FINALLY A SMALL DECENT QUALITY VF-1 TOY FOR 20$!!!(Yes the msp is

$19.99, the 25$ is for the hikaru SDCC exclusive only presumably because it is an exclusive and the first to be released). Not a bad price for an exclusive, after all hasbro's nemesis prime is 5$ over the retail msrp as well.

Also are the joints tight? How well do the missles stay in? Can the wings stay in place? How tall are these? Any comparison pics?

To me these look more comparable to the takatoku 1/100's rather than the Banprestos. Almost like the lovechild of a 1/100 and a super poseable, only more poseable. And hey I'd much rather buy these rather than a swap transformation 1/100 bandai kit!

And, if you guys got some, post more pics!

Any idea on the msrp for the FAST packs? How about GPS-1 or ELINT seeker armor? That would rule!

I hope that my first review was helpful, but here are some more answers.

The joints on the valk are tight (sort of) at first. The only problem is that most parts do not have "locks" to hold them in place. It's more of a "friction lock" system for transformation.

I have not yet put the missles on the valk, so I can't answer that part, but the valks are about 6 inches tall or so.

As for MSRPs, there were none listed, but I was told that the valks are to be $25 a piece, so MY GUESS would be that the armor packs would be about $20 each (but that's only a guess).

Edited by valkyrie312

Any idea on the msrp for the FAST packs? How about GPS-1 or ELINT seeker armor? That would rule!

414449[/snapback]

that's a good question, because we have an answer to that!! We actually talked to one of the reps there and he told us we'll be seeing about 25 or 26 volumes of this. Each one of these are numbered, so the exclusive is numbered 0 while the first three is 1, 2, and 3. And there's suppose to be 26 of these? so that means they are making them all, including the elintseeker and super O! GBP wasn't confirmed yet, but I'm pretty sure it'll be out too. Oh the four fast packs you see there count as part of the 26 numbered boxes. So you can imagine what they can possibly make! ;):D:p:lol:

414449[/snapback]

that's a good question, because we have an answer to that!! We actually talked to one of the reps there and he told us we'll be seeing about 25 or 26 volumes of this. Each one of these are numbered, so the exclusive is numbered 0 while the first three is 1, 2, and 3. And there's suppose to be 26 of these? so that means they are making them all, including the elintseeker and super O! GBP wasn't confirmed yet, but I'm pretty sure it'll be out too. Oh the four fast packs you see there count as part of the 26 numbered boxes. So you can imagine what they can possibly make! ;):D:p:lol:

414453[/snapback]

WTF? HOLY CRAP!!!

Is that just Macross alone or everything they have a license of?(Mospeada/RT, Voltron et al).

If its just macross alone STILL that is a lot!!

KICK ASS!!!!!!!!!!

Hmm....so that means we have #'s0-7 accounted for. Taking into account some of the TV birds(angel birds, CF), GPS-1, enemy mecha, and VT-1 SUper o/VE-1 ELINT seeker, there is STILL a good number left over!

OMG!!

i wonder if they'll release fastpacks for these little guys..... i may pick up a few for those who want em....

409238[/snapback]

yeah. I saw the fast packs. Every fast pack addon kit will have a strike cannon. Even the tv ones.

How do they compare to Banprestos? Tighter joints? Are they are direct or near-direct copy or a completly new design?

Anybody want to write a full review for Macrossworld?

Graham

414457[/snapback]

I have not seen any bandeprestos in person. I'd say this is a hybred of a few diffrent valkyries. It ha a few things which reminds me of the 1/60 yamatos. I can do a review if you wish. I'll take comparison pics and have it pose next to the monster. God it really showes how big the koeng monster is when you put this next to it.

ps.

the shield is red. NOT black as the pics show above.

Edited by Ali Sama

First, I want the Hik VF-1S!!! Man, everywhere I look though they want like $50 for it and I know it's not worth that. If anyone picked up extras LET ME KNOW!

Hmm....so that means we have #'s0-7 accounted for. Taking into account some of the TV birds(angel birds, CF), GPS-1, enemy mecha, and VT-1 SUper o/VE-1 ELINT seeker, there is STILL a good number left over!

Actually, I think Bobe said that the armors count as volumes too so far we have:

0 - Hik VF-1S

1-3 - Hik 1A, Max 1A, Roy 1S

3-6 - Hik 1J, Max 1J, Miria 1J

7-9 - Hik, Miria, Max Fastpack TV

10 - Hik Strike Armor DYRL

Does it strike anyone odd that the Fastpacks are hybrids? They come with strike cannons... that's cool. Why doesn't Toynami color the leg armor like Yamato does? They also left the leg armor grey on their MPC releases.

Don't forget, Toynami has a nasty habit of claiming things will make it to production and then not following through with it so let's all just keep our fingers crossed. The good news is if they keep releasing these as 3 part sets then it'll be a lot easier for them to make unpopular valks and ship them with a sure seller. For example, we might get a Hayao 1A with a Max 1S and a CF or something like that. Either way, I'll delay excitement until I've actually handled one.

First, I want the Hik VF-1S!!!  Man, everywhere I look though they want like $50 for it and I know it's not worth that.  If anyone picked up extras LET ME KNOW!

Actually, I think Bobe said that the armors count as volumes too so far we have:

0 - Hik VF-1S

1-3 - Hik 1A, Max 1A, Roy 1S

3-6 - Hik 1J, Max 1J, Miria 1J

7-9 - Hik, Miria, Max Fastpack TV

10 - Hik Strike Armor DYRL

Does it strike anyone odd that the Fastpacks are hybrids? They come with strike cannons... that's cool. Why doesn't Toynami color the leg armor like Yamato does? They also left the leg armor grey on their MPC releases.

Don't forget, Toynami has a nasty habit of claiming things will make it to production and then not following through with it so let's all just keep our fingers crossed. The good news is if they keep releasing these as 3 part sets then it'll be a lot easier for them to make unpopular valks and ship them with a sure seller. For example, we might get a Hayao 1A with a Max 1S and a CF or something like that. Either way, I'll delay excitement until I've actually handled one.

414484[/snapback]

I took that into account. That would mean either 15 or 16 future releases to be announced. IF thats all Macross, then man thats a lot! That would be AWESOME!

I think we would get VF-1D, VF-1 Angel Birds, VF-1 Kakizaki, VF-1A TV Max type, VF-1 CF, then some enemies.

looks fantastic! i can't wait to pick these up.

*rant*

why the hell are they selling the FP seperately? its total BS IMO, they should just packaged all of them with FP's instead of trying to rake me over the coals and take more of my money.

*/rant*

I went and picked up two of the Toynami Valks myself while at AX. I've gotta admit, they've redeemed themselves after the MPC business. the booth itself was all Macross. on the Toynami side, it was as if Robotech never existed (and even the HG booth had finally discovered Macross also :D ) The box is nice and sturdy, and is very reminiscent of a Japanese release - they even went and put "Hikaru Ichijyo's VF-1S Valkyrie" in Japanese under the English. The toy itself is pretty well done, and has an easy transformation sequence between the three modes. I'd say it's reminiscent of (insert your fave Valk toy here), but there's very few ways to engineer the transformation for such an iconic mecha. For $25, i'd say it's a keeper asa nice inexpensive collector's mech. It's not going to replace the 1/48 Yammies as my favorite, but they're pretty good.

Good: Excellent detail (for the scale) in Battroid and GERWALK mode, good choice of accessories (missiles and micro-missile pods, plus gunpod, replacement hands and display stand), released under Macross name with zero (IIRC) mention of Robotech outside of HG's web address, sturdy and locked together in all three modes, logical transformation sequence, clear instructions

Bad: Leg swingbars look to be a bit flimsy although not fragile, the head is a bit stiff, gunpod keeps falling apart (it's a two-part assembly with a switchable trigger and mounting jig), fighter mode leaves a bit to be desired, sticker decals are not as good as Yamato's.

Edited by Pat Payne

looks fantastic!  i can't wait to pick these up. 

*rant*

why the hell are they selling the FP seperately?  its total BS IMO, they should just packaged all of them with FP's instead of trying to rake me over the coals and take more of my money.

*/rant*

414529[/snapback]

Hey man I'd rather they do that, saves us money in the long run. Some of us won't want FAST packs for each one, and they certainly would cost more than 25$ w/FAST packs packed in.

I'm assuming the FAST packs will be b/w 15-20$ max.

I went and picked up two of the Toynami Valks myself while at AX. I've gotta admit, they've redeemed themselves after the MPC business. the booth itself was all Macross. on the Toynami side, it was as if Robotech never existed (and even the HG booth had finally discovered Macross also  :D ) The box is nice and sturdy, and is very reminiscent of a Japanese release - they even went and put "Hikaru Ichijyo's VF-1S Valkyrie" in Japanese under the English. The toy itself is pretty well done, and has an easy transformation sequence between the three modes. I'd say it's reminiscent of (insert your fave Valk toy here), but there's very few ways to engineer the transformation for such an iconic mecha. For $25, i'd say it's a keeper asa nice inexpensive collector's mech. It's not going to replace the 1/48 Yammies as my favorite, but they're pretty good.

Good: Excellent detail (for the scale) in Battroid and GERWALK mode, good choice of accessories (missiles and micro-missile pods, plus gunpod, replacement hands and display stand), released under Macross name with zero (IIRC) mention of Robotech outside of HG's web address, sturdy and locked together in all three modes, logical transformation sequence, clear instructions

Bad: Leg swingbars look to be a bit flimsy although not fragile, the head is a bit stiff, gunpod keeps falling apart (it's a two-part assembly with a switchable trigger and mounting jig), fighter mode leaves a bit to be desired, sticker decals are not as good as Yamato's.

414535[/snapback]

Sounds good! But with the gunpod...does it need to swap the trigger with a mounting jig to mount on a stand?

Nonetheless I am VERY excited for these! Hey can it assume the pose that HIkaru's VF-1J does at the end of the TV intro? That pose kicked so much ass...and now with a stand...if it could do it in midair that would rule!!!!

414548[/snapback]

you really think it'll be that much?

the valks cost $20 and they actually do something and come with accessories, while the FP's are just accessories, decorative so to speak. theres nothing particular fresh about them that they would command a $15 price tag let alone $20.

i was thinking more along the lines of $9.99....if even that. thats like yamato charging the same price for the FP kit as they're charging for their valks. yamato FP's are about a 1/3 of the price of their valks, so i would hope that toynami follows in yamatos footsteps and keep the price tag somewhat realistic.

414548[/snapback]

you really think it'll be that much?

the valks cost $20 and they actually do something and come with accessories, while the FP's are just accessories, decorative so to speak. theres nothing particular fresh about them that they would command a $15 price tag let alone $20.

i was thinking more along the lines of $9.99....if even that. thats like yamato charging the same price for the FP kit as they're charging for their valks. yamato FP's are about a 1/3 of the price of their valks, so i would hope that toynami follows in yamatos footsteps and keep the price tag somewhat realistic.

414555[/snapback]

Oh I'd love a 10$ msrp, don't get me wrong, I was just estimating@least 15$ just to be safe. If it was 10$...IT WOULD BE AWESOME!! And I agree with what you said too.